You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TD1

Chat-bans and insults.

59 comments in this topic

561 posts
6,750 battles

There has been a relatively common theme I noticed; some players get absolutely salty and insult someone for doing something absolutely stupid in WOWS games, then go the extra mile and get salty again when WG inevitably chatbans them, invariably resulting in insults towards WG's perceived lack of ability to handle harsh language, that people absolutely deserve being salted on (sometimes to the point of verbal abuse) for playing crappily, and that people who cannot handle this should just stay off the internet.

I do not know how anyone else feels about this, but I disagree with them:

-Abuse is abuse, no matter what form it takes or who it is directed towards. Verbal abuse may not inflict lasting physical harm towards the victim but that does not make it better than the other forms of abuse.

-There are better ways to get that salt off their heads without resorting to insulting and nasty words, right? If someone is uncomfortable with the losses they incurred over the course of a session, isn't being done for the time being and resting a better way to let off the heat without resorting to saltiness?

-Just because the internet is where arseholes live, doesn't mean we have to make it worse. We'd be no better than the "retards" we're insulting if we resort to verbal abuse.

-Harsh language oftentimes does not help the target perform any better. In most cases they will ignore you (or decide that you are a salty tryhard deserving to be on their ignore list), fight back, or report to WG (hence chatban).

-We do not know who it is behind that ship; is he a good player that happens to suffer a sudden rush of derp/still unfamiliar with that ship/having health issues? Is he a bot? I'd rather not trash talk someone because I may end up causing lasting psychological harm.

That's me by the way, I don't know what anyone else thinks.

• Cool 5

5,584 posts
9,286 battles

To me, sarcasm is always a better way to insult.

It's intelligent, it's subtle, it doesn't need profanity and it hurts way more than profanity (when the recipient finally understands it).

I'm a calm person IRL and I don't respond to this kind of provocation. When I do, I'm like "Look who's talking" or "Is that all you got to say" or "No u" or just don't say anything at all.

Not that I ever want to talk back to the players that insult me to begin with :Smile_glasses: 

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 4

2,675 posts
17,680 battles

My thoughts pretty much boil down to this. Rage and tanty all ya want, I do, but aim it at the players actions and not the players character.

• Cool 1

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
1,977 posts
6,587 battles

Internet, the only Serious Business where insulting is mandatory so to speak.

[-CAT-]
3,302 posts
13,270 battles
3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

I'm a calm person IRL and I don't respond to this kind of provocation. When I do, I'm like "Look who's talking" or "Is that all you got to say" or "No u" or just don't say anything at all.

Not that I ever want to talk back to the players that insult me to begin with :Smile_glasses: 

This :Smile_honoring:

I just let them say what they want. Why bother responding to them. It's not like they will learn anything from you or me to make them become a better person or player anyways.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[151ST]
3,466 posts
11,700 battles

Best responses are the more unexpected ones...

'Your mother is a _____'

'OH it was you! Yeah she wanted me to thank you for the other night, she doesn't get much at her age so she was pretty stoked'

• Funny 2

1,195 posts
11,077 battles
2 hours ago, TD1 said:

There has been a relatively common theme I noticed; some players get absolutely salty and insult someone for doing something absolutely stupid in WOWS games, then go the extra mile and get salty again when WG inevitably chatbans them, invariably resulting in insults towards WG's perceived lack of ability to handle harsh language, that people absolutely deserve being salted on (sometimes to the point of verbal abuse) for playing crappily, and that people who cannot handle this should just stay off the internet.

I do not know how anyone else feels about this, but I disagree with them:

-Abuse is abuse, no matter what form it takes or who it is directed towards. Verbal abuse may not inflict lasting physical harm towards the victim but that does not make it better than the other forms of abuse.

-There are better ways to get that salt off their heads without resorting to insulting and nasty words, right? If someone is uncomfortable with the losses they incurred over the course of a session, isn't being done for the time being and resting a better way to let off the heat without resorting to saltiness?

-Just because the internet is where arseholes live, doesn't mean we have to make it worse. We'd be no better than the "retards" we're insulting if we resort to verbal abuse.

-Harsh language oftentimes does not help the target perform any better. In most cases they will ignore you (or decide that you are a salty tryhard deserving to be on their ignore list), fight back, or report to WG (hence chatban).

-We do not know who it is behind that ship; is he a good player that happens to suffer a sudden rush of derp/still unfamiliar with that ship/having health issues? Is he a bot? I'd rather not trash talk someone because I may end up causing lasting psychological harm.

Well I was taught sticks and stones may brake bones but names can never hurt you from when I was a child. If you are going to cry over someone calling you names and have a mental breakdown because you got called a "retard" then what hope have you got? Life is going to dish out a LOT worse than that for you to deal with.

People dont know how to handle anything anymore because they dont have to handle anything anymore. The younger generations are the most spoilt and wrapped in cotton wool people Ive ever seen. 

Literally EVERYTHING is racist, sexist, derogative etc etc these days. Its just beyond a joke.

Grow some balls ffs. Shrug it off, Or go cry in the corner like a little baby and never learn to deal with anything in your life. 

• Cool 1

2,675 posts
17,680 battles
47 minutes ago, dieselhead said:

Grow some balls ffs. Shrug it off,.....

and then sucker punch some innocent person next time you're drunk at the pub. Coz that what happens.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,774 posts
28,079 battles
3 hours ago, TD1 said:

~snip~

im pretty sure you're makeing a subtle jab at a certain someone but yeah.

as someone who's been chatbanned both manually and automatically more than 10 times in game i can rather fairly say that i probably deserved it the majority of the times that it happened. i might not like the fact that it happened but i do think that it was fair that i got whacked by the ban hammer

Edited by drakon233
  • Cool 1

[SALT]
2,121 posts
10,571 battles

Well if you cant handle toxicity you should not play multiplayer lol.

As random proverb say, holding down a fart is unhealthy. Have you ever heard holding down anger and stress is also bad for mental health. So Just like fart, its better to vent it out from time to time. People play games for relieving stress and have fun no? Multiplayer always have winner and losser. Its never make everyone happy.

If gamers need to vent, its better to gib it to random stranger in internet. Than unleashed it on your mom, sister, or someone at home.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,050 posts
23,221 battles

I've been chat banned about 3 times.

If I say you are a silver teacup orbiting Venus you probably won't get upset with me.

If I say you should not go to position X because thats a bad plan and I explain why you shouldn't go there and then after you do it and die and spoil the game for others and I say you are a moron, then you probably will get upset with me.

Because you know you aren't a teacup but you know you are a moron.

• Funny 3

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,774 posts
28,079 battles
20 minutes ago, humusz said:

Well if you cant handle toxicity you should not play multiplayer lol.

As random proverb say, holding down a fart is unhealthy. Have you ever heard holding down anger and stress is also bad for mental health. So Just like fart, its better to vent it out from time to time. People play games for relieving stress and have fun no? Multiplayer always have winner and losser. Its never make everyone happy.

If gamers need to vent, its better to gib it to random stranger in internet. Than unleashed it on your mom, sister, or someone at home.

well, if you vent and break EULA and get reported then they are fully within their rights to chatban you. so yeah.

chatban system is still pretty abuseable tho, WG should take into consideration other variables, sometimes salty opponents in a div will just dump chat abuse reports on you to get you banned and it works, which is pretty annoying

Edited by drakon233

[SALT]
2,121 posts
10,571 battles
11 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

well, if you vent and break EULA then they are fully within their rights to chatban you. so yeah

Ofc, it was.

Most toxic player are like used to it. Doto2 sea is the most toxic online game server,  some of them are expert that they know which word would get them chat banned by the system, which are not.

There system that invented to cover this flaw though. Behavorial score that reset after a month or so. 

Compared to other game, wows chat was bland with less salt. Toxicless, Saltless Multiplayer utopia doesnt exist, afterall Gaming is like sport that they are emotional intensive activity :Smile_glasses:

Edited by humusz

1,195 posts
11,077 battles
39 minutes ago, keskparane said:

and then sucker punch some innocent person next time you're drunk at the pub. Coz that what happens.

Not at all. Learning to ignore some swear words is a long way from sucker punching someone at the pub. 

I mean, how do you even jump to that conclusion?

There's nothing wrong with growing some thicker skin to deal with life's sick sense of humour, again, if you cant handle a few swear words you are in for a hell of a shock in real life.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,774 posts
28,079 battles
14 minutes ago, humusz said:

Ofc, it was.

Most toxic player are like used to it. Doto2 sea is the most toxic online game server,  some of them are expert that they know which word would get them chat banned by the system, which are not.

There system that invented to cover this flaw though. Behavorial score that reset after a month or so. 

Compared to other game, wows chat was bland with less salt. Toxicless, Saltless Multiplayer utopia doesnt exist, afterall Gaming is like sport that they are emotional intensive activity :Smile_glasses:

very true, i do vent in game (or i wouldn't have gotten so many CBs) but i wont be salty about it afterwards 

[SALT]
2,121 posts
10,571 battles
18 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

very true, i do vent in game (or i wouldn't have gotten so many CBs) but i wont be salty about it afterwards 

its better than punching monitor, throwing mouse and broke keyboard.

There more unhealthy way to vent. but Chat is the mildest of them all lol

You cant play game without emotion afterall, and some people is like way more emotional than other lol

2,675 posts
17,680 battles
53 minutes ago, dieselhead said:

Not at all. Learning to ignore some swear words is a long way from sucker punching someone at the pub. 

I mean, how do you even jump to that conclusion?

There's nothing wrong with growing some thicker skin to deal with life's sick sense of humour, again, if you cant handle a few swear words you are in for a hell of a shock in real life.

I jump to that conclusion because I don't believe a person will sucker punch someone for something as minor as accidentally looking at them with the wrong expression on their face unless they have suppressed issues. So in actually fact their skin isn't thicker, just they have delayed reaction and misdirection. Their inability to deal with an issue at the time mean's it arises inappropriately somewhere else. I think you may find a lot of domestic abuse stems from just this sort of thing.

And who is it that needs to toughen up anyways? Your saying it's the person getting abused. I say the abuser needs to learn to get responsible and learn to address matters appropriately. If they get that worked up that they can't stay on a rational course then they're the one who needs work.

• Cool 7

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
2,074 posts
1 minute ago, keskparane said:

I jump to that conclusion because I don't believe a person will sucker punch someone for something as minor as accidentally looking at them with the wrong expression on their face unless they have suppressed issues. So in actually fact their skin isn't thicker, just they have delayed reaction and misdirection. Their inability to deal with an issue at the time mean's it arises inappropriately somewhere else. I think you may find a lot of domestic abuse stems from just this sort of thing.

And who is it that needs to toughen up anyways? Your saying it's the person getting abused. I say the abuser needs to learn to get responsible and learn to address matters appropriately. If they get that worked up that they can't stay on a rational course then they're the one who needs work.

Well said.

I would love the option to turn chat off permanently.

When I'm testing, I just put a post-it note on the chat window, That way I can concentrate on testing the ship without reading all the drivel.....

Doesn't stop the TK'ing though....

1,195 posts
11,077 battles
13 minutes ago, keskparane said:

So you think that learning to deal with someone teasing or swearing at you or ignoring it will turn you into a person who sucker punches people and beats up his missus? Thats a fair leap gotta say. 

I got teased heaps at school and learnt to deal with it, Ive never beat up my missus or sucker punched anyone. It teach me to deal with morons in real life who want to pick fights without needing to go see a shrink.

Yeah I am saying the person getting abused should toughen up, its only words, they only have any power if you let them. YOU decide what effects you not some random in a video game. If the abuser wants to run his mouth so what? Thats his problem, only becomes your problem if you let it. Again, can only learn these things if you arent busy feeling sorry for yourself because some person you dont know, online, called you a name or something that isnt even true.

Doesnt make sense to let a random stranger upset you with a bunch of sounds. 

2,675 posts
17,680 battles

@dieselhead I'm glad to hear you're well adjusted.

Most rules aren't made for the many. The questions as I see them are how much do you need abuse in your life vs how much do the people who fall victim to it not need it in their lives? I don't think abuse enriches my life that much that I can't afford to go without it when going without it will benefit some others.

Edited by keskparane
  • Cool 1

5,584 posts
9,286 battles

Sometimes the person is mentally incapable/unstable/vulnerable (like having depression or other mental illnesses) so, for those people, it's hard to 'toughen up'. People who get abused can either grow out of it, or they can't, because of some conditions that make them extra vulnerable to abuse, especially young minds.

Words won't hurt you or me, but they can hurt very specific groups of people.
Those who that truly have vulnerabilities that is, not to-day snowflakes.

Words can also hurt if the decibel count is too high or the velocity they travel through the air is too high :Smile_hiding: 

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 2

[MRI]
3,766 posts
16,596 battles
8 hours ago, TD1 said:

I agree 100%. There is 0 reason why anybody should be toxic and abusive on the Internet. And I am going to be blunt here, but anybody who thinks it is ok to be toxic just because it is the Internet are probably toxic themselves deep down inside and are just using it as an excuse. Just because someone is an ass doesn't mean you have to be an ass too.

Sure, some say that is just venting. To that I say there are plenty of ways to vent without hurting another person, stranger or otherwise. Even if you do vent at a person, there are many ways of doing so without resorting to profanity or other bannable offences. I myself have been plenty salty in chat and have never been chatbanned. Because I make sure to not use profanity or offensive words. In any case, if the game is causing you so much anguish that you are unable to vent without being abusive to another human being, then perhaps it is time to take a break. If I start raging in chat, I take it as a sign to maybe stop playing and do something else.

A common argument I see is that people should grow thicker skin on the Internet, but that is beside the point. The question we should be asking is why does one need to grow a thicker skin online? Why does lnternet have to be a safe refuge for people who want to act like jerks? The Internet doesn't have to be this way. Saying that it is just the way it is and that one should deal with it is no different from telling a woman centuries ago that staying in the kitchen is the way life is and they should deal with it.

Also I see people accusing others of being spoilt snowflakes or whatever just because they got offended by insults. To that I just laugh. The only spoilt snowflakes I see are the Internet tough guys getting upset and offended that they cannot act like asshats to others online without repercussions. The biggest irony is when they themselves complain about getting chatbanned for being toxic in an online game. Because their feelings are too delicate to realise that the world doesn't revolve around them. Apparently it is too hard for them to just be polite and unoffensive. Talk about spoilt people and their fragile egos lol. Complaining about how somebody took offence at their toxicity says more about offender than the offended imo.

6 hours ago, drakon233 said:

im pretty sure you're makeing a subtle jab at a certain someone but yeah.

Heh, I have a good feeling I know who that certain someone is too. 

• Cool 4