piaya

British Royal Navy and Battlecruisers

62 comments in this topic

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

ZaJVd6H.jpg

The British Royal Navy will eventually come. What the RN was really proud of was their Battlecruisers which we can read all throughout ww2 history books and the sheer obsession of RN for it. 

Heres the issue, HMS Hood the last RN BC and most recognizable BC, if it was ingame it would be classified as BB it would be placed at around T6-7 for lack of fire power to other BB, however if there was a BC class Hood would be on the T9 spot. Given that the Kongo originally was classified as BC and Amagi was classified as BC but are BB ingame. Well the Japanese navy didnt really have much BC classes.

The RN had entire separate development of BC and BB (and HORRIBLE classification naming of DD, and so much CL/CA you could make the same line as WoT's multiple PanzerIV trees but that's another story)

So far what i can foresee is either:

1 - BC will be incorporated into BB line just as they are with the current IJN. Which means earlier access to HMS Hood which is nice.

2 - new class BC(but this would mean adjusting the other ships from other navies and loads of testing again), but it was only brits that were really obsessed with battlecruisers so other navies didnt really have much of them; with germany coming 2nd. so not likely.

3 - 2 BB lines (most practical and most likely going to happen to BB-BC trees of RN and KriegM)

example:

BC line
2    Invincible
3    Indefatigable
4    Lion (BC)
5    Queen Mary
6    Tiger
7    Renown
8    Courageous
9    Hood / Admiral

10    G3

BB line
2    Orion
3    King George V(1912)
4    Iron Duke
5    Queen Elizabeth
6    Revenge
7    Vanguard
8    King George V(1939)
9    Nelson

10    Lion (BB)

unless it was already revealed or leaked which I didnt know off.

your thoughts?

e8CmUVb.png

HMS Hood from Chinese Kancolle "Warship Girls"

Beta Tester
73 posts
3,151 battles

yeap, agreed. just like how the Kongou of IJN was classified under battleship in this game.

I bet ships are going to be classified like in the US Navy Hull Classification; Meaning there would be no CC nor FBB hull classification.

also, yeah 2 lines for BBs, one for the Battlecruisers and 1 for the real BBs

Beta Tester
55 posts
2,724 battles

My thoughts? "GIB ME!"

I say GIB ME TOO !! 

Nelson/Rodney should be before Vanguard...

also the Hood; an Admiral-class BC, should be 1 tier higher or equal to Queen Elizabeth Class BB...

BB Line...

2    Colossus Class  (5 turrets of twin 12 " Guns)
3    Orion Class (5 turrets of twin 13.5" guns)
4    King George V(1912) Class (same main armaments as before; improved version )
5    Iron Duke  ( same main arms as above so could mash into 1 single tier )
6    Queen Elizabeth ( 8x 15" guns in 4 turrets )
7    Revenge
8    Nelson 
9    King George V(1939)
10    Vanguard/Lion or both !

Edited by soccy

Beta Tester
55 posts
2,724 battles

The Brits have so many ship classes ... it might end up having 3 tiers...

But I think what will happen is that we will start the BB lines with pre-dreadnoughts for 1 or 2 tiers... ( maybe 3 if the following tiers are going to be OP ) 
then followed on by dreadnoughts class ( another 2-3 tiers ) and finally end up in the 60's with Vanguard/Lion class BBs

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

I say GIB ME TOO !! 

Nelson/Rodney should be before Vanguard...

also the Hood; an Admiral-class BC, should be 1 tier higher or equal to Queen Elizabeth Class BB...

BB Line...

2    Colossus Class  (5 turrets of twin 12 " Guns)
3    Orion Class (5 turrets of twin 13.5" guns)
4    King George V(1912) Class (same main armaments as before; improved version )
5    Iron Duke  ( same main arms as above so could mash into 1 single tier )
6    Queen Elizabeth ( 8x 15" guns in 4 turrets )
7    Revenge
8    Nelson 
9    King George V(1939)
10    Vanguard/Lion or both !

I assigned BBs according to fire power

Vanguard only has 15" x 8 + speed

King George V 1939 has 15" x 10

Nelson has 16" x 9

Lion has 16" x 9  + speed

Which is why I placed Vanguard below the 3 BBs despite being a post ww2 ship

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

The Battlecruisers will likely be folded into the BB class as with the Japanese. Interwar modifications meant that most were reclassified during their lifetimes anyway, and their firepower is pretty excessive for a cruiser role. The 2 BB lines idea is probably the most likely, as it adds a bit of variety to the playstyle. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Well my suggestion RN BB Tech Tree will be this then 

3. Invincible/Indefatigable(Both BC) (8 x 12") or Dreadnought (10 x 12" but only 8 guns if broadside)

4. Lion(BC)/Queen Mary/Tiger (8 x 13.5")

5. Bellerophon/St Vincent/Neptune/Colossus(10 x 12") or Orion/King George V(1911)/Iron Duke (10 x 13,5") or Renown(BC) (6 x 15")

6. Queen Elizabeth/Revenge (8 x 15") or King George V(BB) (10 x 14")

7. Vanguard/Hood (8 x 15")(Weaker Firepower but faster than Nagato)

8. Nelson/G3(BC) (9 x 16") (Nelson, Slow Tanky) (G3 (Fast, Battlecruiser armor....) 

9. Lion(BB) (9 x 16")(Rivals Iowa)

10. N3 (9 x 18") or Incomparable(BC) (6 x 20")

Premium

HMS Furious (2 x 18")

HMS Agincourt (1913) (14 x 12")

Chilean (HMS Canada) (10 x 14")

Reşadiye (HMS Erin)  (10 x 13,5")

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

My thoughts.. pio!

(God I hope I used that right, as yes, I was rather surprised the british line wasn't in the line up already for beta.)

679 posts
3,514 battles

I definitely hope that sometime during OB that WG split BBs into 3 lines for every nation.  BB (amoured), BC (Cruiser body, BB guns) and Pocket /Fast (best of both worlds)

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

The only ship i really new from the british was the hood and sank but yeah im excited

the most 'identifiable' British ship from picture is the King George V (1939) class with its 4 quad turrets in bow and aft

hms-king-george-v-ii.jpg

and Nelson Class that looks like a regular modern Freighter ship with 3 turrets in front.

nelson_alexander_monreal.jpg

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I definitely hope that sometime during OB that WG split BBs into 3 lines for every nation.  BB (amoured), BC (Cruiser body, BB guns) and Pocket /Fast (best of both worlds)

I think it may happen eventually Dante - look at the mishmash of lines in WoT (Germans I'm looking at you) with stuff going everywhere!

There's definitely scope in both the Battleship and Cruiser lines as they stand for a split (even if partial)

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Fast Battleships were what several Battlecruisers were redesignated when they were modernised between the wars, the separation is kinda blurry, and the term has been applied to everything from the Kongo class to the Iowa class. A Pocket Battleship is basically an overgunned Armored Cruiser, theyre a fair bit smaller than a contemporary Battlecruiser, and nowhere near as well armored. Besides, seeing as there are only a couple of examples of pocket battleships, it'll be hard to find them a full line. Theres probably enough separation in some countries for a separate line of Fast BBs/Battlecruisers and a line of heavier BBs though.

Compare the Admiral Graf Spee with the Scharnhorst. Theyre pretty much the apex of the respective design philosophies, and theres an enormous difference in fighting ability.

679 posts
3,514 battles

A Pocket Battleship is basically an overgunned Armored Cruiser, theyre a fair bit smaller than a contemporary Battlecruiser, and nowhere near as well armored. Besides, seeing as there are only a couple of examples of pocket battleships, it'll be hard to find them a full line. Theres probably enough separation in some countries for a separate line of Fast BBs/Battlecruisers and a line of heavier BBs though.

;)

I love a pocket Battleship at 50k tons, Bismark, Pocket battleship and still the second biggest BB ever built!

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Nothing pocket about the Bismarck, its a full fledged BB, and Ive never seen it called anything but a Battleship.

[TOGN]
Beta Tester
115 posts
13,336 battles

the most 'identifiable' British ship from picture is the King George V (1939) class with its 4 quad turrets in bow and aft

hms-king-george-v-ii.jpg

and Nelson Class that looks like a regular modern Freighter ship with 3 turrets in front.

nelson_alexander_monreal.jpg

nelson/rodney will be great  to play,  with three 16 inch gun turrets facing all forward of the superstructure as a tier 8/9

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

nelson/rodney will be great  to play,  with three 16 inch gun turrets facing all forward of the superstructure as a tier 8/9

By WG design the higher the fire power "usually" means higher tier.

16" guns were the biggest guns the RN has mounted. Which are on existing BB which are Nelson and Lion. The others are on paper ship G3 BC. 

Well they experimental hybrid carrier variant of HMS Furious BC CV had just one 18" gun turret. But i dont think one 18" gun will be efficient.

HMS_Furious-1.jpg

Also the paper ship N3 BB would also be mounting supposed 18" guns so i suppose N3 and not Lion is suppose to be T10 as other suggested

Both N3 and G3 have similar design to Fuso with a 2 frontal turrets and 1 center turret with only secondary guns to the rear.

G3battlecruiserModel.JPG

Nelson isnt alone when the French Navy comes the Richelieu will also just have 15" frontal main turrets.Richelieu_1943.jpg

The biggest difference between the Nelson and Richelieu though is that the Nelson is utterly slow , will probably be the TOGII of WoWS.

I haven't played the game but probably the best thing about have all front turrets is that you have less chance of them being damaged(and the ammo beneath them) as shells often land at the centre and rear of a ship based on looking at YT videos. Well for Richelieu's case. (speaking of which im starting to like the idea of Richelieu in game but thats like a 3 year wait).

Edited by piaya

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Nothing pocket about the Bismarck, its a full fledged BB, and Ive never seen it called anything but a Battleship.

Fast Battleship

The only Ships that be called "Pocket Battleship" (By British) are Deutschland Class "panzerschiff"

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

But the Third turret cannot superfiring to the front in close or medium range

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

But the Third turret cannot superfiring to the front in close or medium range

Third turret cant fire in front of the ship at any range, the guns dont elevate enough to clear the B turret. Also:

HMS_Nelson_(1931)_profile_drawing.png