Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Positional audio a bit skewif?

14 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,828 posts
14,450 battles

Just had a couple of 0.8.8 battles.

Thought I could hear an ally behind me firing, like over my head but i couldn't see him on the mini map - I guessed he was very close to me so I looked around but I was all alone.

The sound was the gunfire coming from enemies 5-6km in front of me but it sounded like they were right beside me.

Is this just me?

Positional audio has been fine for me up until now.

[MRI]
2,680 posts
12,935 battles

Apparently this patch has screwed up the sound mixing really bad. Plenty of people complaining about it on Reddit and NA.

Seriously though, why does WoWs have so many issues with the sound? There are tweaks to it every few patches.

I mean, it is great that WG is working to improve sounds and all, but one would think they would have gotten things sorted out a bit.

• Cool 3

[-CAT-]
882 posts
8,208 battles

1. Yes, there were instances I can hear a team mate firing his guns as if he/she was near me, but in the mini map he/she is 2 squares away from me, and while free looking, he/she is very far from me.

2. Re-load gun sound is too low that sometimes you could not hear if you are reloaded or not. You will have too look at the bottom center to check if you are loaded. It becomes a visual check rather than acoustic.

3. Of all the things, why?! why?! why remove the sound of spent cartridges falling after firing your guns (applies to some ships). It is so satisfying to hear the sound of spent cartridges after you have fired your guns.

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

[HMNZ]
364 posts
5,531 battles

Also the ships engine noise is louder, and some DD's engines make a clunking noise.

Also noticed when entering a game theres a 'Hissing" radio type noise too?

I assume I can turn it down if it becomes distracting.

[MRI]
2,680 posts
12,935 battles

Ok what on earth happened to the sound? Like seriously wtf?

Music in port after returning from a battle is very soft, actually the music levels vary quite wildly.

Anything that is not a BB gun sounds incredibly soft and muffled, like they are firing into a pillow or something. AA sounds like someone typing into a keyboard while my secondaries are silenced weapons.

Also my anime captains seem to have become pacifists. They seem to be very distressed whenever a ship is sunk, even if it was an enemy ship. :Smile_amazed:

Edited by Thyaliad
  • Cool 1

[AN-DO]
534 posts
8,713 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

Anything that is not a BB gun sounds incredibly soft and muffled, like they are firing into a pillow or something. AA sounds like someone typing into a keyboard while my secondaries are silenced weapons.

It sounds more like they are actually firing the pillows, and the short range AA has clearly been replaced with airsoft guns.
I like the fact they are trying to improve the sound for the game, I really do, great sound adds atmosphere, but they've got things a bit off balance at the moment. I mean, when my ship was on fire I could barely hear anything else, not even the twelve pillow cannons could be heard over that.

[SEARN]
771 posts
13,204 battles

Your not alone Max. First battle I played I was pulling faces. :Smile_amazed: :Smile_unsure: :Smile_facepalm: Yep that's them. 

The volume normalisation of different sounds in battle is plain broken. Some things are so quiet you need to turn them up, only to deploy a consumable and jump out of your skin as the activation sound for a consumable is now way too loud in comparison. I played around with the different audio volumes in the settings but I could not dial it in to a happy place, something was always too loud or too soft. 

Also the positional audio and volume relative to ships around you is broken. As others have mentioned a team mate will fire and it sounds like they are right next to your ship, but when you look around they are at least a few squares away and behind you. It is very distracting as I keep thinking I am going to sail into a team mate right next to me like a potato. 

I have a background in audio recording for amateur bands and way back doing AV stuff for major school concerts/plays and the like. This stuff isn't all that hard to get right. Especially considering that even after testing (honestly don't know how no one picked up on this as it is so broken) the previous patch was far better than this "new improved" version.

Once again we are the guinea pigs for what should have never got past testing, if testing even actually occurs. After last several patches I am starting to have my doubts...………

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,828 posts
14,450 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

RIP game sounds.

Sigh.

At least its not just me and they are on to it...

32 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Your not alone Max. First battle I played I was pulling faces. :Smile_amazed: :Smile_unsure: :Smile_facepalm: Yep that's them. 

The volume normalisation of different sounds in battle is plain broken. Some things are so quiet you need to turn them up, only to deploy a consumable and jump out of your skin as the activation sound for a consumable is now way too loud in comparison. I played around with the different audio volumes in the settings but I could not dial it in to a happy place, something was always too loud or too soft. 

Also the positional audio and volume relative to ships around you is broken. As others have mentioned a team mate will fire and it sounds like they are right next to your ship, but when you look around they are at least a few squares away and behind you. It is very distracting as I keep thinking I am going to sail into a team mate right next to me like a potato. 

I have a background in audio recording for amateur bands and way back doing AV stuff for major school concerts/plays and the like. This stuff isn't all that hard to get right. Especially considering that even after testing (honestly don't know how no one picked up on this as it is so broken) the previous patch was far better than this "new improved" version.

Once again we are the guinea pigs for what should have never got past testing, if testing even actually occurs. After last several patches I am starting to have my doubts...………

Yes I didn't really notice the volume of things (I'm sitting here watching Westworld while I play) but position? Yeah thats wrong.

[FORCE]
1,029 posts
10,066 battles
5 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Also my anime captains seem to have become pacifists. They seem to be very distressed whenever a ship is sunk, even if it was an enemy ship. :Smile_amazed:

Well my beef is that this patch butchered all voiceover mods I have. Some of these are the non-official mods like AL Bismarck & KC Musashi. I mean come on, how can I channel my inner weeb without those voices?

[SPCTH]
367 posts
7,366 battles

New sound update is good but its quality and when you zoom all the way into the ship and back out fast the sound is off like it does not know where to originate from.

[HMAS_]
2,005 posts
13,972 battles

The engines of my ships sound like a fan heater,  & also not all of the f-key commands work... i press them the commands show up on the screen but there's no voice (i run German voice, but when i div with clan mates they have their volume up too loud so i can hear when my voice commands are pressed, so its not just at my end)

& the sounds go every soft in binocular mode so you cant really tell whats going on now, because you cant hear airplanes attack or torpedo warnings...

also, when my ship or an enemy ship explodes there is no massive explosion noises anymore ...  & when ships are on fire all i hear is a hissing noise...I do love the main gun sounds now though, i think they are much better... & I love the horns.... now some of them sound like the queen mary !!

I'll tag this so @GOMBEE8626 can see this thread about the sound difficulties we are all having.

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

[SEARN]
771 posts
13,204 battles

Another thing that was annoying me but I couldn't put my finger on, until the battle I just played in Ohio, is that a lot of the time the sound that tells you your guns are reloaded does not play. 

I have become so accustomed to hearing the start of the "reload complete" sound that I was wondering why my guns were taking so long to reload only to realise they had. 

I use the time between reloads to angle back in, pay attention to map, look who needs support and where torps will be coming from etc etc the usual situational awareness stuff. When I hear the sound start to play is when I zoom back in to fine tune my aim at my target. Not having the sound playing was making me miss a lot of shots. It has been doing it all day in other ships too, not just Ohio. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this