You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ratdoto

Difference between alpha and beta

23 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,007 posts
2,333 battles

Well i'd like to know what is the difference between alpha and beta tester:amazed: [i totally don't know :P

Beta Tester
1,007 posts
2,333 battles

Alpha testers started testing in alpha. Beta testers started testing in beta. That's all there is to it.

Still don't get it :3

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

With alpha, its like having the first go at a product, its there just in a stage where others can play and join each other and do all the basic mechanics, beta, is dealing with the fine tuning of the mechanics, from the maths, to the quires, to the general popular questions.

The difference between closed and open beta, to me, is like dealing with a group of people on their thoughts, and fixes; rather then have thousands of white noise to sift.

People who do alpha testing, know they are going to play a broken game, their role generally indicates that they are trying to "break" the game, find the bigger faults and errors; as they start to find less and less issues, the producers will decide that its time to get more people in to find faults, as the more eyes the better; but with the amount of white noise now-a-days; its best off doing closed betas, then to stress test the servers, an open beta will start; leaving the names as betas and alphas also lets them have the errors and faults, and is also used in legal terms to say "no, we did not say it was a 100% game, we did not promise you that you wont get faults on first day of launch or bug"

Simcity did a big no-no; and after their closed beta (stress testing their servers) they had thought their servers were good enough, even though, they only had a select few from each country (one weekend one group, next weekend another group(small), and neither were in at the same time, only the alpha testers); they didnt even go off their "pre-orders" of the game, and while stores ran out, once people started to try and log in, sure enough, the servers couldnt handle the stress; but because EA had said that its a finished game, by releasing it to the public at cost; there were fines some lawsuits I think, and ALOT of returns, and even though EA had said that they don't accept returns because the codes were used(or may of), by law they had to.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Still don't get it :3

Alpha testers were around in alpha when they game was newer and buggier and far more badly balanced. Basically they were there to find all the major bugs that werent immediately apparent and to get a feel for the balance of the game. Beta testers are mostly here to iron out the smaller bugs that require more hours of play to find (thats why theres more of them) and continue developing the balance as more assets are added to the game. In terms of real difference, the Alpha testers got an Iwaki Alpha (a kind of hybrid Cruiser/DD), and some gold and creds/free XP when beta began. Beta testers didnt get that, but will get whatever the beta reward is (alpha testers will also get it). 

Other than that, its basically just forum e-peen. There are some closed sections of forum that you need certain tags to access, but they'll be merged/removed when the game goes into OBT. 

Beta Tester
1,007 posts
2,333 battles

With alpha, its like having the first go at a product, its there just in a stage where others can play and join each other and do all the basic mechanics, beta, is dealing with the fine tuning of the mechanics, from the maths, to the quires, to the general popular questions.

The difference between closed and open beta, to me, is like dealing with a group of people on their thoughts, and fixes; rather then have thousands of white noise to sift.

People who do alpha testing, know they are going to play a broken game, their role generally indicates that they are trying to "break" the game, find the bigger faults and errors; as they start to find less and less issues, the producers will decide that its time to get more people in to find faults, as the more eyes the better; but with the amount of white noise now-a-days; its best off doing closed betas, then to stress test the servers, an open beta will start; leaving the names as betas and alphas also lets them have the errors and faults, and is also used in legal terms to say "no, we did not say it was a 100% game, we did not promise you that you wont get faults on first day of launch or bug"

Simcity did a big no-no; and after their closed beta (stress testing their servers) they had thought their servers were good enough, even though, they only had a select few from each country (one weekend one group, next weekend another group(small), and neither were in at the same time, only the alpha testers); they didnt even go off their "pre-orders" of the game, and while stores ran out, once people started to try and log in, sure enough, the servers couldnt handle the stress; but because EA had said that its a finished game, by releasing it to the public at cost; there were fines some lawsuits I think, and ALOT of returns, and even though EA had said that they don't accept returns because the codes were used(or may of), by law they had to.

Alpha testers were around in alpha when they game was newer and buggier and far more badly balanced. Basically they were there to find all the major bugs that werent immediately apparent and to get a feel for the balance of the game. Beta testers are mostly here to iron out the smaller bugs that require more hours of play to find (thats why theres more of them) and continue developing the balance as more assets are added to the game. In terms of real difference, the Alpha testers got an Iwaki Alpha (a kind of hybrid Cruiser/DD), and some gold and creds/free XP when beta began. Beta testers didnt get that, but will get whatever the beta reward is (alpha testers will also get it). 

Other than that, its basically just forum e-peen. There are some closed sections of forum that you need certain tags to access, but they'll be merged/removed when the game goes into OBT. 

Too detailed :3 but thanks for the information :honoring:

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

lols, the less detailed way.. alpha is like putting your socks on, closed beta is putting one shoe on, open beta is putting the other shoe on as well, and release, is opening the front door, knowing its too cold, going back inside and playing World of Warships..

Beta Tester
1,007 posts
2,333 battles

lols, the less detailed way.. alpha is like putting your socks on, closed beta is putting one shoe on, open beta is putting the other shoe on as well, and release, is opening the front door, knowing its too cold, going back inside and playing World of Warships..

Now u make it ez to understand :v

Beta Tester
13 posts
604 battles

Alpha and beta are generic software development terms. Alpha refers to the earliest stage of testing, when the developer is still doing a lot of work on the software, but is testing what has been done so far. This generally has a lot of bugs and crashes. Beta is the next testing phase, and is generally using a much wider test background than alpha, beta releases are mostly finished, it's just testing for any unusual crashes or bugs before a full release.

Beta Tester
1,007 posts
2,333 battles

Thnks to anyone that replied in this topic, I'll appreciated all informations that u guys replied!:honoring:

Beta Tester
1,007 posts
2,333 battles

The fact that no clothes were put on describes contemporary game development processes in exact terms.

10/10 unspoken metaphors. Have an upvote.

ahaha Gg.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

The fact that no clothes were put on describes contemporary game development processes in exact terms.

10/10 unspoken metaphors. Have an upvote.

Sorry, I will have to get pedantic. What frosty posted was not a metaphor. It was a simile.

If he had said 'alpha is putting your socks on', then it would have been a metaphor. To state that 'X' is 'Y'  is using a metaphor.  i.e. 'My ship was a sinking stone'

An simile compares things. Frosty used the word 'like', making his statement an simile.  i.e. 'My ship sank like a stone'

Never the less, it was a good post about alphas.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

did this thread just derail into grammatical semantics?

Yes

Alpha's are the realy cool kids, Beta's are just the rest.......:)

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,832 posts
4,122 battles

Don't forget that Alphas also are incredibly handsome, rich virile and the ladies love them.   The live in mansions and ride unicorns and are draped in gold.  Did I miss anything else?

Beta Tester
1,007 posts
2,333 battles

Don't forget that Alphas also are incredibly handsome, rich virile and the ladies love them.   The live in mansions and ride unicorns and are draped in gold.  Did I miss anything else?

how handsome are you then? (Post pic of yourself/Selfie)
Edited by Ratdoto

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

Well, we all tested on the weekend :P.. (Also I just noticed, am I the only knob who has his picture as his profile pic :P.. and that was taken this year :P)

Beta Tester
1,007 posts
2,333 battles

Well, we all tested on the weekend :P.. (Also I just noticed, am I the only knob who has his picture as his profile pic :P.. and that was taken this year :P)

U r the man. Wll played.