You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Earl_of_Arland

How to communicate with Box-Box-Box?

6 comments in this topic

[MD]
143 posts
1,734 battles

Hello everyone.

As i was happily sailing around in my Bis today, as usual i started typing in teamchat for some basic strats (and where should i go). I'm one of those less-skilled player whom depends on others for instructions. In this match, i spawned as a flanker along with a Jean Bart and Seattle (which died early). Hence, i started asking the JB about how to proceed etc. Thing is, he is one of those box-box player (no offense). At the start he typed [][][][][][][][]E4 [][][][], then [][][][][], and [][][][][][]! 

'Well, alright! I should go to E4 then' is my first thought. 'Or he's pushing to E4 and i'm the one who should i support him?' says my mind. Then there's the Shokaku also [][][][][] and pinging the cap. Now should i go there or? This dilemma continues throught the game.

Long story short i push E4 and get obliterated along with the Seattle, which cost us the game.

I felt i'm missing much information by not knowing what these people talked about, that's why i'm asking, How to Communicate with Box-Box-Box?

[MRI]
2,717 posts
13,012 battles

You have to rely on context. For example somebody pinging some empty location usually means that he is spotted and thinks there is an enemy ship in that area. If he is pinging a particular enemy ship it is probably to warn the team of that ship's presence, like an enemy DD or radar ship. If he is pinging a group of friendly ships, he probably wants them to do something (most likely to stop camping and to get into the fight).

For all other situations F3 and the other F keys are usually enough to signal their intentions.

29 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

I'm one of those less-skilled player whom depends on others for instructions

But most important is to just learn the game and how to read the flow of battle. Then you can anticipate the enemy team's moves and react accordingly without needing somebody to tell you what to do. Of course, that comes with experience as long with being familiar with the ships and maps. To put it simply, what would you do if you were the enemy? For example, the friendly DDs on your flank are all dead. That usually means the enemy DD is going to cap, which would encourage the enemies to push since they will not need to fear torpedoes or being spotted, likewise without any spotting most friendlies will pull back. So in that situation you will have to prepare yourself for a  fighting retreat.

• Cool 1

[MD]
143 posts
1,734 battles
42 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

You have to rely on context. For example somebody pinging some empty location usually means that he is spotted and thinks there is an enemy ship in that area. If he is pinging a particular enemy ship it is probably to warn the team of that ship's presence, like an enemy DD or radar ship. If he is pinging a group of friendly ships, he probably wants them to do something (most likely to stop camping and to get into the fight).

I mostly understand those peoples using minimap, problem are that type of player is rare. It's usually [][][][][] on team chat, with no ping on minimap. Then sombedy type [][][][][][][] too. These kind of players is what i'm talking about.

45 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

But most important is to just learn the game and how to read the flow of battle.

Yeah, i'm trying to use my instinct more these days, you can't rely on teammates anymore. Still, not understanding what half of your team are saying in chat is disadvantageous, and instinct is unpredictable.

[MRI]
2,717 posts
13,012 battles
15 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

I mostly understand those peoples using minimap, problem are that type of player is rare. It's usually [][][][][] on team chat, with no ping on minimap. Then sombedy type [][][][][][][] too. These kind of players is what i'm talking about. 

They are probably just ranting about something or other. Like how a person might rant about being a T8 in a T10 match or about noob teammates or whatever.

Nothing to worry about. If they had actual, game changing things to say then they would be using pings, or the chat together with pings, and not just type in chat.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,869 posts
14,622 battles

I enjoy playing with people from all over the world in a variety of online games. I think it shows how much the same we all are and how stupid international conflicts are and how much it's the morons at the TOP of MANY countires who cause the problems, not us common folk who just want to play games and get along with each other.

Yet box speak annoys and frustrates me.

I understand though, I do get it.

If I was playing a game I really enjoyed and the main language used was not English I'd be pretty screwed too and if I had to install English language support I probably would.

I think we (mainly or ONLY) English speakers take a lot for granted and expect to be understood or (perhaps a little arrogantly?) expect others to communicate in a way WE think they should.

That said, I still get frustrated at box speak.

BUT... like @Thyaliad says above, I agree that reading the map and flow of battle can overcome a lack of verbal communication.

I just had a game in my Helena on Shards and I was detected but I could not see who was detecting me - so obviously there was an enemy DD close. It was very early in the game and I had seen the path my fleet had taken so I knew the concealed enemy wasn't in that direction. There were islands around me so I could rule out certain lines of sight and thus concluded only two spots where the enemy could be. Guesses of course but I map flashed them regardless.

An allied DD replied with F4 and immediately turned towards where I had flashed. Seeing I had support, I popped hydro and steamed straight at where I thought the enemy was. (I had no idea what the DD was and anticipated incoming torpedos at any moment).

Turns out I was spot on. There was an Asashio right where I estimated and we pincered him. (Yes, lol, there was lolling "Oh, so your torpedos can't hit me then!?")

Helena at close range vs DD with CV and BB only torps...

No words were spoken at all.

The map was read, an ally responded, an enemy died.

Edited by Max_Battle
  • Cool 2

[TWR]
1,266 posts
4,759 battles

Sometimes if you type in chat that you don't understand them, the ones who also speak English will type in English to.