Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ILLBBACK2604

Will there a Friesland Frenzy

35 comments in this topic

2,736 posts
6,498 battles

For a person who can't really torps, I like the concept of that ship. And thinking designs similar to her may end up in the PEU tech tree makes my cannons hard.

Still no news how to get Siegfried tho. Will wait until that very specific announcement.

[TLS]
1,874 posts
17,614 battles

The question now is, should I waste 1 million fxp here or not. Not that I will be playing anything but the NC much as I power level to Monty. I have decided to throw the garbage pile of T8 dds that are the soviet, german and French dds to the wayside for the time being. 

[LNA]
457 posts
4,572 battles

This... might be a pickle situation for me. On one hand, a tier 9 ship is a welcome addition to tackle those messed up XP grind event missions. But now I am torn between Alaska and Friesland. What do you folks think would be more fun to play? I am working towards the US cruiser line so Alaska makes a lot of sense. But the hype around Alaska just fizzled out after her release so not sure how solid this ship really is. On the other hand, never had a premium destroyer but CCs have been going nuts around it. But there is no EU line ingame. I don't want a dead end like Blyskawica for years. Not to mention start a captain from scratch.

So what do you folks think? Pretty interested on what the playerbase take is on this?

Edited by LonerPrime

[AUSRP]
201 posts
9,385 battles

Alaksa is solid.
Friesland I have no idea but I'll get it to find out.
I expect it will be an orphan with no tech line for ages.

• Cool 1

[LGND]
340 posts
9,997 battles

interesting gimmick  until u get rushed by radar ship and u realize this ship doesnt have torps...... lul

Edited by Gesterbein

2,736 posts
6,498 battles
1 hour ago, MeglaGnome said:

I expect it will be an orphan with no tech line for ages.

That's one heck of a tragic story there, captain. 

At least Blyska has a (very) distant cousin for now, so they aren't feeling lonely.

1 hour ago, LonerPrime said:

So what do you folks think?

Do you like DDs with no torps?

(TBH I think this ship will be a sub killer in the future, being modern and stuffs)

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

[-CAT-]
341 posts
6,610 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

(TBH I think this ship will be sub killer in the future, being modern and stuffs)

Thats probably whats going inside WG mind on Pan-EU ships. Support, AAW, ASW roles.

Only the later Dutch Navy ships has no torps, while other Pan-EU ships still carry them.

So 2020 "probable" timeline is, Pasta Cruisers, Underwater Terror, and "hopefully" Pan-EU (Sub counter).

I am torn between Pan-EU and CWoN ships.

Now, back on the topic:

french-fries.jpg

Edited by S0und_Theif

[-CAT-]
341 posts
6,610 battles
1 hour ago, LonerPrime said:

This... might be a pickle situation for me. On one hand, a tier 9 ship is a welcome addition to tackle those messed up XP grind event missions. But now I am torn between Alaska and Friesland. What do you folks think would be more fun to play? I am working towards the US cruiser line so Alaska makes a lot of sense. But the hype around Alaska just fizzled out after her release so not sure how solid this ship really is. On the other hand, never had a premium destroyer but CCs have been going nuts around it. But there is no EU line ingame. I don't want a dead end like Blyskawica for years. Not to mention start a captain from scratch.

So what do you folks think? Pretty interested on what the playerbase take is on this?

Frieseland is new, however, there is no torp, but has US smoke screen. That is the ships curve ball. It will take time to know and get used to its playstyle.

Pretty sure its both AAW and ASW playstyle, though only AAW is playable at the moment.

Alaska is a ship with an identiry crisis. It is not a battleship, but it is also not a cruiser. Minor learning curve if you are comfortable in both US BB and CA playstyle.

Edited by S0und_Theif

2,736 posts
6,498 battles

Oh btw, those 120 mm guns are made by Swedish Bofors - the same manufacturer of the famous 40 mm AA guns I think we all have heard of.

The largest naval guns they ever made are 283 mm... And they are old, like WW1 old.

They also made 152 mm guns, which are dakka dakka but only SP.

Some Swedish Cold War DDs have not only those guns, but also 533 mm torpedo tubes. PEU DD line looks L I T.

Edited by Paladinum

[SH0T]
1,020 posts
10,738 battles

To me a DD with no torps is like a BB with no Guns.

The last thing this game needs is another HE spamming pile of .....

• Cool 1

[AUSRP]
201 posts
9,385 battles
1 hour ago, S0und_Theif said:

Now, back on the topic:

french-fries.jpg

Not like that, no.
Dutch chips come with Mayo...

[-CAT-]
341 posts
6,610 battles
29 minutes ago, MeglaGnome said:

Not like that, no.
Dutch chips come with Mayo...

oh, thats new to me. I did not know that. Thanks for this new info. What about fries (chips) in Mustard?

Now since we are in the topic of fries:

potatocornerheader.jpg

I go out and buy now (hunger strikes)

Edited by S0und_Theif

[THA]
12 posts
11,947 battles

6.4 km maximum concealment make a hard life on the cap (haragumo at 6.2 and daring at 6.0)
supreme AA that can make TX CV cry
hydro quite short time but still good
gun have decent damage but fire chance  can up to 11% and shells flight time quite similar to RN DDs (BURNING BBs IS A GOOD BBs)
better to div up with CV,radar ship or other DD for spotting jobs
credits earning quite good 60,000 post repair costs with out any modify

70953867.gif

2,736 posts
6,498 battles

You cannot be lone wolf in this ship, except when all the remaining enemy is a CV or a torpedo IJN DD.

I suspect this to be a ship with high skill floor and good tactical value. Play support and stay with other ships. Going alone = death.

Definitely a ship in my "Musto Getto Freemium" list. Higher position so than Yoshino... (IJN cruiser without torps is a blasphemy - looking at you Azuma)

Needs more FXP DDs in the future. Those with torps. Or without main guns...

Edited by Paladinum

[SH0T]
1,483 posts
8,985 battles
47 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Definitely a ship in my "Musto Getto Freemium" list. Higher position so than Yoshino... (IJN cruiser without torps is a blasphemy)

Doesnt yoshino have torps?

[LBAS]
Modder
5,561 posts
33,017 battles

modern DD, Anti Sub as the best :cap_cool:

Edited by MatterCore

2,736 posts
6,498 battles
27 minutes ago, humusz said:

Doesnt yoshino have torps?

That was my argument against getting Azuma... Edited to make it clear.

[MRI]
2,152 posts
11,701 battles
4 hours ago, LonerPrime said:

At 1 million fxp, no tech tree ships and no easy way to train a captain, the biggest question would be "how interested are you in playing a gunboat DD with no torps?".

I don't think it will be popular among the general playerbase. For casual players 1 million fxp is quite a big investment. Even so for regulars and veterans who might have already spent their fxp on the NTC to get the Colbet fast.

I see it as a very niche ship best suited for playing in divs. The Friesland seems to be good at opposing DDs like Kidd and Cossack, though its concealment is a bit disappointing. However unlike the Kidd and Cossack, the complete lack of torps is a big difference. As a cruiser or BB, I will not be afraid of charging into your smoke, whereas for other DDs I still need to be a bit wary. For that reason the Friesland is best played as support imo. At least until the enemy DD has no support of their own, than you can just go in and bully him.

I must say that in my experiece of going up against an ST with a Friesland in a tier 8 DD, the Friesland can be terrifying in a DD vs DD situation. The best I could do that match was to spot it and hope somebody shoots him for me. And if you happen to be on a flank with minimal support, there is almost no way to stop the Friesland from just bullying you out of the cap. But that is its role I suppose.

As for whether I want to get it, I am still undecided though the novelty intrigues me. 1 million fxp is quite a big investment, even though I am sitting on 3 million fxp.

[AUSRP]
201 posts
9,385 battles
1 hour ago, Dread_Pirate_BlackHeart said:

The Friesland is NOT selling in high numbers, at all.

Players are being cautious on Asia.

How do you know? Are there published stats somewhere?

[TDA]
Super Tester
4,738 posts
5,553 battles
14 minutes ago, MeglaGnome said:

How do you know? Are there published stats somewhere?

Wows-numbers has only recorded a total of 229 games played in it. 58% wr and about 60k average damage per game

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
352 posts
8,814 battles

The lack of torps & mediocre concealment won't fit the common trend for DD play in Asia any better than the stealthier ones. I mean there's a reason why the Russian DDs are less common on high tiers, let alone the competitive ones.

Sign in to follow this