You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MeglaGnome

Research Bureau : progress report thread

52 comments in this topic

213 posts
9,985 battles

So, Research Bureau is with us, and after a long dark 5 minutes of soul searching, I did a thing.

Burn me at the stake if you will...

I'd still prefer they had designed it differently for the wider player base, but for me, my thoughts go like this:

1. I have 15 T10 ships. Some of them I go weeks or months without playing. I can live without 1 or 2 for a while.
2. I want the Colbert and Ohio
3. I have 1.2 million Free XP stockpiled
4. I like mid tier gameplay and have kept some mid tier ships with perma camo and dedicated captains for jus this reason.

So, I decided I'd like to revisit some mid tier IJN torpedo boat play, and also get back the Kitakaze for Ranked.
I have perma camos for  Fubuki (T6), Kagero (T8), Kitakaze (T9),  Shimakaze (T10), and 2 x 19 point captains , a 16 point captain and a 12 point captain, all specced for IJN torp / gun boats, 12 million credits and a fair stockpile of flags.

So I hit "RESET" for the IJN gunboat line for x2 points, and the IJN torp boat line.

I used FXP to skip T1-5, (a nice 2 for 1 FXP skip on T1-4)  did a single co-co in the Hastuharu, then FXP 'd it as well. I also FXP'd the Fubiki A hull and torp upgrade, because 6km torps on a torp boat is just miserable.
1.5 days later I've used a bunch of flags to grind the Shiratsuyu (lots of fun, even with just a 12 point captain...  I'd forgotten how scary a no-smoke torp-boat is without RPF as an early warning). Then I FXP's past Akizuki with a single co-op game, and now I'm grinding Kitazake in ranked with a perma camo and 19 point captain.

With Fubuki I'm using her old 16 point captain and perma camo, and just chipping away 1 daily win at a a time. I'll FXP past Akatsuki when I get there (just a co-op game for the RB points again) because its  a miserable boat with bad concealment and bad guns. I plan to grind the rest of the line in game, as Kagero and Yugumo are both fun with torp-reload booster.

Situation report: 5 days in:

I've burned about 250k FXP, with only one big FXP skip left to pay for. I've thrashed my stockpile of economic flags, but still have some left for a further surge after ranked.
I've got 18500 RB points.

Kitakaze has all modules unlocked and 45K / 223K ship XP earned.
Fubuki I've spent no flags or camos on, she has all modules unlocked and 24K / 63K ship XP earned.

By the time 3 months have passed I'll easily finish re-grinding both lines, will have 40K RB points and will be ready for a final push up a 3rd line for 20K RB points to get the reward ship.

Thoughts:

Spending some FXP is a good idea. FXP'ing the whole thing is only for CC's with 100 million credits and 10 million FXP in the bank.
Regrind something you enjoy.
Regrinding 2 lines which split below T6 saves you a bit of FXP skipping the low tiers only once.
Permacamos can save you a lot.
The biggest XP cost, and the fastest XP earning is at T9. Choose a line with a playable and enjoyable T9, and plan to grind all of the T9 ship XP in game.
You will also spend about 15 million credits regrinding a line, so try to have a head-start in the bank there too.

Other lines I'd consider (based on the fun factor of the T9 ship ahead of the other considerations):

USN DD's
Pan Asian DD's (but the captains get messy across T6-8)
French BB's
UK DD's
Russian DD's (Ognevoi branch, maybe both?)
maybe USN CA's
maybe IJN CA's
maybe Russian BB's

Edited by MeglaGnome

[_AUS_]
[_AUS_]
Beta Tester
84 posts
13,371 battles

I restarted the Japanese Cruiser Line.

Enjoyed playing the early tier ships again, but forgot how shitty it is to constantly face ships two tiers higher than your own once you get to tier 6+ !

[KAMI]
1,506 posts
12,419 battles

I restarted my german cruiser because is the most easiest to climb for me

Now im already on hipper 😄

[TLS]
3,937 posts
20,000 battles

All going according to wg's plan to earn money and a lie to repopulate mid tiers.

• Cool 2

[AN-DO]
657 posts
9,685 battles

And I'm never going to reset a line out of principle

• Cool 2

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
1,930 posts

I would do this if I already had Tier X's in port (Don't need Tier X's if you play Co-op only....).

It would have been interesting with over 480 million credits and 8.9 million Free XP ready to go......

Edited by LtDan_IceCream
  • Cool 1

[LNA]
2,023 posts
13,266 battles

Meh , not going to do it. The sastifaction of progress just crumbled for me. This game is starting to design so many time consuming features that can drain so much time of your day.

This feature has gotta be the most time consuming i've ever seen. And much more problematic is it's gonna get worse.

• Cool 7

[TLS]
3,937 posts
20,000 battles

To put it simply, grinding fxp for Azuma is leisurely. This one you have limited time.

213 posts
9,985 battles

Limited time? Not as far as I know.

You can take as long as you want to regrind. There is a limit of 1 line every 3 months earning double points, but you can take a year to grind a line once reset.

[MRI]
3,453 posts
14,859 battles
3 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

To put it simply, grinding fxp for Azuma is leisurely. This one you have limited time.

Not to mention I don't have to give up all my hard earned ships grinding up a line to so do. So I can take all the time I want, not like this RB nonsense.

What, you want to play a particular ship in clan battles or Ranked but you reset the line? Too bad! Better bust your rear grinding to that ship or burn your fxp! Just feel like playing that ship randomly? No luck for you either!

• Cool 1

4,532 posts
8,629 battles

It's not about being optional.

It's not about a leisure grind or a frustrating grind.

It's about opening a door (or rather, a flood gate) for WG to add more unnecessarily grindy/whale-baiting ways to get ships in the game. Or just unnecessary features in general.

The rewards have nothing to do with re-grinding a line and barely increase low/mid-tier population.

You know what would be good rewards to make people willing to pay more? Grind for in-game coupons (premium ships/camos).

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

213 posts
9,985 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

Not to mention I don't have to give up all my hard earned ships grinding up a line to so do. So I can take all the time I want, not like this RB nonsense.

What, you want to play a particular ship in clan battles or Ranked but you reset the line? Too bad! Better bust your rear grinding to that ship or burn your fxp! Just feel like playing that ship randomly? No luck for you either!

Yeah I know. All good reasons its a bad thing. For me I like to keep a million or so FXP in the bank to handle unforeseen circumstances, so I can have my T10 back at will if I really need it.

[SPCTH]
390 posts
9,060 battles

Not doing it. Not a chance. 1 line 1 ship ok, 2 line 1 ship maybe, anymore lines then that is absurd, not viable for 1 ship. I can buy a ship if im desperate, it would be cheaper in dollars and time. Using up all your FXP is a lot of your time but 3x the cost. While you grinding and using all your resources we are playing other fun games, watching sports, enjoying the outdoors, getting stuff done around the house. Any sane person would not give up there time now and time they accumulated in FXP to hand it over not for 1 ship maybe if it was both the Colbert and Ohio then you can see some sort of value. Cant stop people from doing what they choose. If your time is abundant and you have nothing better to do then i say go for it. Get prepared to grind again for Ohio, then any other ship that comes out. Your going to spend big time and 24hrs a day playing this game lol.

Edited by AxEyBoI

[-CAT-]
2,104 posts
10,848 battles

Ain't gonna re-grind for Colbert. Ohio, is very tempting though, but for FXP, I'll wait for the Friesland (mmm......fries, yummy. Flavored fries, those juicy, juicy fries. Tell me your secret, why do you taste so effin goooooooood. [drool]).

Edited by S0und_Theif

4,532 posts
8,629 battles
23 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

Ain't gonna re-grind for Colbert. Ohio, is very tempting though, but for FXP, I'll wait for the Friesland (mmm......fries, yummy. Flavored fries, those juicy, juicy fries. Tell me your secret, why do you taste so effin goooooooood. [drool]).

I like fries too,  esp. Siegfriedsland.
(Thumb up if you like the wordplay)

If Sieg is Free XP though, I may get Yoshino.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

[LYNMS]
1,104 posts
19,845 battles

colbert and ohio is surely tempting but not gonna do it, time consuming and no motivation wanna regrind again after done once

gonna get smolensk, yoshino and some other ships is enough for me

• Cool 2

401 posts
3,047 battles

Does Ohio bode well in a duel with Monty? 😕

It's not like I'm in a position to get her anyway. I've only researched 4 lines so far and I had to sell my monty to get the said 4th' T10 ship lol 

Plus I can't afford to regrind lines with my current stockpile of camos,flags and credits

36clc9.png 

I might as well focus on more easily attainable ships like coal or fxp. 

Edited by Stormcloak_Rebel

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,595 posts
7,373 battles

Hats off to anyone who would put themselves through this but it’s purpose of populating mid tiers is just a straight out lie.  

Player power grind through the lines or fxp so how does that make mid tier play any better.  

Edited by RalphTheTheatreCat
  • Cool 8

18 posts
6,416 battles
3 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Hats off to anyone who would put themselves through this but it’s purpose of populating mid tiers is just a straight out lie.  

Player power grind through the lines or fxp so how does that make mid tier play any better.  

I reset shima and have played through everything tier 4+. First time I’ve played less than tier 8 in a long time. So for me it’s definitely encouraged mid tier,

If some people free do, it doesn’t mean everyone will. 

• Cool 1

213 posts
9,985 battles
11 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

Yeah, the Friesland does look fun eh? Thats why I'm pacing myself through the RB regrind and keeping 950K FXP in the bank, not blowing it on an "insta-colbert".
I expect the total Colbert grind to take 4-6 months, and I'm going it at a modest pace that is fun for me, and fits in with other WOWs goals (like ranked, ranked sprint, getting other high tier coal / FXP premiuims etc etc).

[LBAS]
4,729 posts
10,736 battles

i have only Yamato and  Gearing so mess no one 

[SPCTH]
390 posts
9,060 battles

Populate all the veterans on 1 side against all the new players going up the line 1st time ROFLMAO, thats why i was in some games i got 3-5 kills and lost 0 damage.......... 0 in tier 5-7. So the Colbert, then the Ohio, what if the 3rd ship is the Pobeda.......... ouch its going to hurt all those who just used up all ya FXP ...............................

Edited by AxEyBoI