Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EzroNay

Salvo or sequential fire

15 comments in this topic

2 posts
1,918 battles

Opinions please: is it better to fire all guns simultaneously in a salvo or fire them sequentially, each shot aimed individually? In particular, do individual shells each do more damage if they hit simultaneously, or is damage the same whether they hit within a small fraction of a second of each other or seconds between?

[-ISO-]
1,056 posts
6,286 battles

Sequential fire were actually more accurate IRL. IMO it's better to use full salvo when your enemy is full broadside. But it's better to do a sequential fire when your enemy is bow in or have narrower profile. The dispersion isn't that much of a difference between the two.

[SALT]
2,018 posts
10,542 battles

Salvo, you back into concealment slightly quicker.

1s slower can be lethal for DD or Cruiser

Edited by humusz

[MRI]
3,450 posts
14,846 battles

Salvo in most cases. Sequential only if the target is bow or stern on, or is in the middle of a turn and you are extremely confident with your aim.

1 hour ago, EzroNay said:

In particular, do individual shells each do more damage if they hit simultaneously, or is damage the same whether they hit within a small fraction of a second of each other or seconds between?

Doesn't matter. Shell damage will remain the same.

Edited by Thyaliad

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,267 posts
18,669 battles

For me it depends mainly on whether or not I'm confident I'm going to hit. Do I need to fire once to see my fall of shot?

But there are other circumstances where I might choose either...

Example: Are you firing HE at a BB with a good chance of starting a fire? How long is their damage control active for? Fire slowly, maybe you force them to burn their damage control and then leave them with a fire that sticks. Or maybe you know what stage their CD is at from other players, or maybe you have just been paying attention.

[HMNZ]
364 posts
5,531 battles
11 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Example: Are you firing HE at a BB with a good chance of starting a fire? How long is their damage control active for? Fire slowly, maybe you force them to burn their damage control and then leave them with a fire that sticks. Or maybe you know what stage their CD is at from other players, or maybe you have just been paying attention.

know wonder my stats suck, that's way too much thinking Max!! 

[1AN-C]
56 posts
3,096 battles
14 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

For me it depends mainly on whether or not I'm confident I'm going to hit. Do I need to fire once to see my fall of shot?

But there are other circumstances where I might choose either...

Perhaps even a single shot for aiming followed by a salvo of the rest.

I've found a constant rain of shells tends to disorient some players, and give the impression you're doing more damage to them than you actually are. They tend to panic sometimes, forcing an error.

This is particularly useful if you're in a DD or light cruiser and fighting a BB. I tend to stay zoomed in, constantly adjusting aim while holding the LMB down, WASDing like a madman and using the map to stay off islands.

Salvos, on the other hand, are better for eliminating DDs, dropping a group of shells in their path increases the chances of a hit.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,267 posts
18,669 battles
4 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

know wonder my stats suck, that's way too much thinking Max!! 

LOL!

"Our enemy never stops thinking about ways to hurt us - and neither do we".

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,267 posts
18,669 battles
1 hour ago, Blast_Radius1 said:

I've found a constant rain of shells tends to disorient some players, and give the impression you're doing more damage to them than you actually are. They tend to panic sometimes, forcing an error.

I definitely did this in my early days ie was vulnerable to this kind of psychological warfare and panicked.

Now, most of the time, in almost any ship, if I am under constant fire, I will usually let the first fire burn. It takes nerve but the first fire is not as bad as the second fire, loss of engine and/or loss of a torp tubes or a flood all at once.

I do sometimes wonder what is a greater test for an enemy captain - being constantly peppered or copping that one big disheartening salvo that takes half your hull in "one" blow.

But ultimately, whether or not an enemy captain is rattled, if I can hurt his ship and/or cripple it, it doesn't matter what his mental state is.

A brave captain on a sinking ship is as useless as a captain who is first to the lifeboats.

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,331 posts
26,048 battles

in almost all cases if you know how to lead properly and get your first salvo on target, then go with full volley, staggering fire only makes it so your shells dont cover the ammount of space at the same amount of time, leading to a larger chance of missing 

2 posts
1,918 battles

Thanks for the many useful tips on this. In particular, thanks for confirming my belief that the time between shell hits makes no difference to the damage done. Seems like it shouldn't, unless you consider the shock value.

• Cool 1

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,594 posts
7,352 battles

Salvo..………….unless I'm in a stupidly fast ROF ship and want to annoy an opponent.

• Funny 1

[LBAS]
4,725 posts
10,726 battles

Those who fast reload below 3 sec then sequential

Those who slow reload but high dmg then salvo

213 posts
9,985 battles

Salvo, unless I'm aiming at a very low HP ship that is weaving and I want to maximised the change of 1 hit.

Or sequential if I'm in Kitakaze / Haragumo / Geraing (gunboat build) and I don't want to wear out my mouse (just hold left button and direct the fire hose until the BB melts).

Sign in to follow this