Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SycoraX81

KM Ships.

10 comments in this topic

[66666]
35 posts
6,330 battles

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone out there was having positive matches in any line if KM ship in the current state of the game. In general is this an entire nation that needs to be buffed, whether it be shells, ship design, range.

I have the feeling that all three classes, BB's, CAs and DD's were intended to be played as grinders. Making sure you live into the second half of the match is essential or your damage will be anemic. No line has that burst damage were in the opening minutes a match has been swayed as a KM ship did what it is meant to do. It's just a lucky detonation if it happens. For myself they don't seem to suit what WG is doing with the game. The game seems to be progressing into a variant were there is more emphasis on large burst damage in quick strikes, I can see this trend  through all the new classes. 

Russian BB's have finished any possibility of aggression from a KM BB, their guns regularly pen for 20k+ through an angled ship at 13km. Your guns do anything from 0-13500 in reply. Yoshino lighting 2 fires a volley 4 km past the gun range of a GK doesn't help, making picking an engagement impossible. French BB's with reload boost flinging HE right after repair is too strong, they can guarantee a double relite even with full HE damage spec reduction. My gameplay with a GK is creep forward at half speed till I know where the HE ships are, and run to the other flank. Essentially you don't have enough heals in any config to make it to the second half of a match if you are on the flank being pushed.

The KM cruisers are the only ones (RN out of this) forced to use AP, as their HE was saddled with anemic Alpha damage unlike every other HE shell in the game. The guns lack pen, and the ships have low survivability in how cruisers are played in the current game. Hard to be out alone getting broadside angles when cv's can 50% life hit you in a volley, and every gun in the game fires over 20km now.

The KM DD's, well like all DD's the match is CV dependent, in CV'less matches, RN DD's have better guns, slightly less useful hydro but lets be honest when do you get close enough to use a 5km hydro., less maneuverable. French can melt your giant ungainly mess of a ship in a few moments even though you're similar size. With IJN gun buff last year, picking a fight with one of them will likely leave you victorious, but battered and bruised from your troubles. I was struggling a lot with the Z48, finally found some success doing nothing but sitting 4 km outside of the cap, and waiting till their initial push separates. Can pick of a stray DD. But essentially I'm a pointless member of the team, getting screamed at.

I guess, my question is is anyone enjoying how you have to play KM ships now. If not, what Ideas do you have to make the better.

For me I'm fine that they're not HE focused. Jesus everything else is too rewarded for pressing the 2 key. If the intention for the game is that everything does large damage and every german is meant to do chip damage until the moment you get a perfect broadside then give them a version of American AP, from DD to BB that can pen an angled ship. You can leave the BB's with their shitty aim, leave the DD's with their shitty maneuverability, leave the CA's with their middle of the road for everything, but let them punish like everyone else can, expand the time period in the match where KM ships can dish out some damage, at the moment it is down to moments, and certain ships that you're fighting can do it for the full 20 mins. It is killing any enjoyment of the line for me.

I have a dreaded sinking feeling, that as Hydro is becoming less and less relevant and more and more prolific, that the KM's have been left untouched as everyone got buffed around them so they will become the Sub hunters once that gets brought into the game. It really would be a sad way to end the lines

Edited by SycoraX81
  • Cool 4

[TLS]
62 posts
23,123 battles

I was as well concern of the current state of KM overall performance in this game. Last time KM BB was a secondary's  monster but countered by faster longer range French Fleet. CA feel comfortable for CB but then depend on current strategy what clan been using. DD only tactical situation to make a full use of its ability to counter another DD.

CV? After rework, quite sad performance compared in RTS mode

But then Hydro was design (should) to counter (?) the incoming submarine..

213 posts
9,985 battles

I got 200K damage in my GK last week.
Blessed are the islands, for they givest concealment which thou doest lack.
Then the enemy shalt discover they art in secondary range, alone, just 3 of them.... and you.... so unfair...

[66666]
35 posts
6,330 battles

Yeah, that's once in every 25 battles. The other 24 a plane spots you in the way in and you're a HE piñata for the next 3 mins. By the end of it your two heals down and 60%health. 

All the KM ships are super situational. You can't make something happen.

Edited by SycoraX81

[KMS-A]
224 posts
5,480 battles

I agree. Buff is needed especially for German BBs. It seems there has already been recent buffs to secondaries. I have the following suggestions to emphasise the line’s character

- better secondaries angle and less secondaries dispersion - maybe even change half secondaries to SAP?

- multiple target possible for manual secondaries

- buff AFT: add dispersion reduction

- better hydro range vs ships

- higher AP pen and damage

[66666]
35 posts
6,330 battles

Yeah they may of buffed them, but you still get that massive lag between a target entering detectability range and them opening up with fire. I read a while back that it was to do with the guns not loading until a target enters range, unlike other munitions that load at the start of the match. But yeah, I have to agree, for the point investment in 2ndry build, It is pretty ineffective now. Makes you wonder if you need IFHE for the 2ndries.

[66666]
35 posts
6,330 battles
1 minute ago, MeglaGnome said:

Yup, they are situational. So, play them like a situation, not a BB.

But does that mean it is an effective line of ships? Or one fun to play in-between those situations?

Edited by SycoraX81

213 posts
9,985 battles

For many people, no. I like the intellectual puzzle of making it work. But one has to accept the times it doesn't work to play that way.

[BLESS]
1,158 posts
10,350 battles

The KM lines are unremarkable almost by design, this "not the best at any one thing, but bad at anything either" philosophy extends to almost all German ships of all classes in the game. And their gimmicks, if you want to call them that, can now be found in many other nation's tech trees. That said, I"m not quite convinced they are underpowered. Yorck, FdG got buffed not too long ago. The whole line got their AA back in 0.8.5. You make some valid points though, re. the de-emphasis of the "long game" in favor of big strikes, and the general irritation of improved Russian BB shell penetration angles*. I just don't agree the issue is as serious as you make it out to be. The KM line is by-and-large uninteresting but reasonably strong.

*The Russian BB shell issue affects everyone, not just KM ships. My view is: fine, give the Russian BB line speed, bow armor, fast turrets, and superb close range dispersion. They don't need American cruiser AP like penetration as well. 

Sign in to follow this