You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fear_the_Reaper

Does the Yamato not have 650mm or turret armour?

69 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

"The armour on the main-turrets surpassed even that of the main-belt, with plating 650 millimetres (26 in) thick.[6] Armor plates in both the main belt and main turrets was made of Vickers Hardened, which was a face-hardened steel armor."

yet... The Yamato seems to have 57mm of turret armour, that is nearly 4 times less than the Kongo class battleship at tier 5, this has to be a mistake.....

Every battle 1 2 or all 3 main batteries are destroyed by HE shells, i honestly do not even want to test it any more im about to sell the Yamato to pay for other ships.

Edit:

Sold it lol, lets see if i can get Senjo or Des moines before CBT ends :ohmy:

StkBspA.jpg

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I have heard the rumors of there being a missing 0 on the value of the Yamato turret armour making it effectively 65mm instead of 650mm meaning even a DD can destroy them, is this true?

because DD's certainly seem to be capable of destroying a Yamato's turrets.

Edit:

Can you edit the title..? i seem to have made a typo.

you sure you didn't misread as 65cm, which is also 650mm?

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

Would be strange to have that one stat listed in cm, when everything else is in mm.

Beta Tester
1,422 posts
38 battles

Yamato main gun turret armour 650mm => 65 cm => 25 inch

Yamato in game turret armour 65mm => 6,5 => 2 and a half dam inch:teethhappy:

Edited by CrimsonGabri

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Sorry, my bad. The Yamato's in-game turret armor is listed as 57mm, not 65 or 650mm.

Not sure this is intentional or not, but definitely not historical or balanced at all.

I did say they "erased" a digit off it's armor. 

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

if it was its true armour, then we would have a very hard time sinking her. Not to mention EVERYONE would gun for her :P

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

if it was its true armour, then we would have a very hard time sinking her. Not to mention EVERYONE would gun for her :P

Without its true armour it is not really worth playing at all every battle 1-3 main batteries get taken out, dive bombers especially ruin a Yamato's day which is funny because normally they just set a ship on fire.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

It's probably a typo in the description, unless the game does actually pull that data from the armour values of the ship?

Did the both of you not try the space mode, because it's stupidly obvious it isn't a typo.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Did the both of you not try the space mode, because it's stupidly obvious it isn't a typo.

Didnt take a hell of a lot of damage when I tried it. Something something OP AA, something something no one else can actually aim. Seriously, I was getting good first salvo hits at 25km in that thing, its guns are a touch insane. 

Anyway, a discussion in another thread gave me a thought. Anyone had their guns damaged but not destroyed lately? Because I havent seen damaged guns since the first iteration of CBT, but destroyed guns seem to be getting ever more common. Maybe the devs have been messing around with the critical shot chances or something.

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

Anyway, a discussion in another thread gave me a thought. Anyone had their guns damaged but not destroyed lately? Because I havent seen damaged guns since the first iteration of CBT, but destroyed guns seem to be getting ever more common. Maybe the devs have been messing around with the critical shot chances or something.

I've gotten a few damaged guns recently, but not nearly as much as a while ago, while the inverse is true for destroyed turrets.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

The current destroyed turrets phenomenon is real, but it's also because that the armor values for Yamato's gun turrets are wrong. Atleast according to information I saw on Wikipedia :hiding:

Logically, there's no sense in giving only 57mm (at the most) of armor to something as critical as those gigantic gun turrets of something as big and well-armored as Yamato. Gun turrets are one of the those components that are vital to the ships, almost as much as boilers and magazines due to the fact that it's the Battleship's main tool. A Battleship without its main gun are just as useless as Carrier without any aircraft. Obviously, no designer would give battleship turrets less protection than anything but more critical components (magazine, engine).

Looking at other BB, even the Kongo actually has few hundred mm of turret armor, why the hell would Yamato only has half a hundred mm? Surely this isn't "historical", it's more like a typo, whether accidental or intentional (I would be mad if it is the latter :sceptic: ).

WG, please fix this, it surely can't be something complicated.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

The current destroyed turrets phenomenon is real, but it's also because that the armor values for Yamato's gun turrets are wrong. Atleast according to information I saw on Wikipedia :hiding:

Logically, there's no sense in giving only 57mm (at the most) of armor to something as critical as those gigantic gun turrets of something as big and well-armored as Yamato. Gun turrets are one of the those components that are vital to the ships, almost as much as boilers and magazines due to the fact that it's the Battleship's main tool. A Battleship without its main gun are just as useless as Carrier without any aircraft. Obviously, no designer would give battleship turrets less protection than anything but more critical components (magazine, engine).

Looking at other BB, even the Kongo actually has few hundred mm of turret armor, why the hell would Yamato only has half a hundred mm? Surely this isn't "historical", it's more like a typo, whether accidental or intentional (I would be mad if it is the latter :sceptic: ).

WG, please fix this, it surely can't be something complicated.

Historically the turret armour is thicker than the armour belt on the ship, i swear wargaming did it intentionally, they nerfed its firing range from 26 miles down to 26 kilometers intentionally.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Was in Space Mode earlier in my Senjo Maya. Engaged a Das Moines Galaxy and in my first 2 salvo destroyed both his front guns (not damaged but destroyed). Next engaged another Senjo Maya and first salvo at range took out the rear turret then after that next few salvo later its front turret went boom as well. Next Das Moines Galaxy I took out one of its front turret before sinking it.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Historically the turret armour is thicker than the armour belt on the ship, i swear wargaming did it intentionally, they nerfed its firing range from 26 miles down to 26 kilometers intentionally.

They nerfed the firing range of every other gun in the game as well, by similar degrees, so thats really not a problem. Its a design choice designed to force a more dynamic combat, and prevent players trying to deal with the headache of leading a target when the round takes the better part of a minute to arrive.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

They nerfed the firing range of every other gun in the game as well, by similar degrees, so thats really not a problem. Its a design choice designed to force a more dynamic combat, and prevent players trying to deal with the headache of leading a target when the round takes the better part of a minute to arrive.

Still does not explain giving the turrets of a tier 10 battleship the armour of a tier 2 cruiser.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Even Kongou-chan has more Turret Armor than the more modern Yamato lol.

Edited by Windforce

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Even Kongou-chan has more Turret Armor than the more modern Yamato lol.

Kongo

"During the reconstructions that each ship underwent during the interwar period, most of the armour of the Kongō class was heavily upgraded. The main lower belt was strengthened to be a uniform thickness of 8 inches, while diagonal bulkheads of a depth ranging from 5 to 8 inches (127 to 203 mm) reinforced the main armoured belt.[26] The upper belt remained unchanged, but was closed by 9-inch bulkheads at the bow and stern of the ships.[26] The turret armour was strengthened to 10 inches (254 mm)"

Yamato

"Designed to engage multiple enemy battleships simultaneously,[4] the Yamatos were fitted with heavy armour plating described by naval historian Mark Stille as providing "an unparalleled degree of protection in surface combat".[59] The main belt of armour along the side of the vessel was 410 millimetres (16 in) thick,[6] with additional bulkheads 355 millimetres (14.0 in) thick beyond the main-belt.[6] Furthermore, the top hull shape was very advanced, the peculiar sideways curving effectively maximizing armor protection and structural rigidity while optimizing weight. The armour on the main-turrets surpassed even that of the main-belt, with plating 650 millimetres (26 in) thick.[6] Armor plates in both the main belt and main turrets was made of Vickers Hardened, which was a face-hardened steel armor.[60] Deck armour—75 millimetres (3.0 in) thick—was composed of a nickel-chromium-molybdenum alloy. Ballistics tests at the proving ground at Kamegabuki demonstrated the deck alloy to be superior to the homogeneous Vickers plates by 10–15%.[60] Additional plating was designed by manipulating the chromium and nickel composition of the alloy. Higher contents of nickel allowed the plate to be rolled and bent without developing fracture properties."

The Yamato was designed with 650mm of turret armour compared to the Kongo's 254mm of armour thickness, wargaming is the one who has made the Yamato have turrets 1/5 the strength of a Kongo by taking away nearly 600mm of armour thickness.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Yeah I know that's why I laughed that Kongou in game has more armor than Yamato on the turret.

but the best part is it has nearly 5 times as much armour as the tier 10 battleship lol, it cant be a typo if it was 65mm it would be a typo, seen as its 57mm its gotta be intentional...

btw wind you have a t10 cruiser dont you?

que up man ive been in the que on my lonesome for ages lol

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I'd guess it's meant to be 570mm but as has been pointed out a typo left the 0 off the end .....

nono its supposed to be 650, they gave all the other ships their historical armour values why would they change anything on Yamato when none of the other battleships have been added for a nerf to be called for?

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

I'd guess it's meant to be 570mm but as has been pointed out a typo left the 0 off the end .....

They "ACCIDENTALLY" erased a digit off the armor. Based WG.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Still does not explain giving the turrets of a tier 10 battleship the armour of a tier 2 cruiser.

Its just an appeal to Hanlons razor. I dont disagree with you about the armor values in the slightest, I just dont think that aspersions of dev sabotage is a good road to go down. 

Anyway, to echo Fondleton, do we know that those values are the actual in game parameters? Is the Yamato actually more vulnerable to turret damage than an Amagi based on actual tests or are we just dealing with a side effect of some dev tinkering thats caused turret destruction to increase in general? Would be nice if we could get a ST to set up a training room and toss shells at a couple of different vessels to see whats really going on. Seeing as we cant do that ourselves (hint hint WG)...