Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mechfori

Overrated ships and some thought

10 comments in this topic

[SMOKE]
1,814 posts
15,556 battles

another thread had a take on underrated ships, so I take the liberty to start one on overrated ships ; of course all goes opinion being personal here .. don't get too serious about it , and my take for that :

T9 RN DD Jutland

Its a simple and basic one ; 34 knot speed, this is painfully slow for a DD and not particularly good turning circle and truthfully not that great rudder shift time either ; it seems people are too taken with the number of smoke charges and then Hydro and heal, but seriously the too short duration of the smoke made it more an escape panic button instead of real defensive ones , especially not when air attack incoming , the hydro had too short a range that its only really good for situational awareness in real close combat, the heal is nice to have but really do not contribute much. The only other ships that is just as slow and sluggish within similar tiers is the IJN T8 Akizuki but it had machine guns ; for jack of all trade the same tier German and US DD can do a lot better and the specialty torp and gunboat of IJN / Soviet Navy / MN are just doing their part better and even in some of their not so specialty part; even the Pan Asian counterpart had its own ; in ranked, its of some use, but in Random it can easily be out-classed by its peers

T7 USS  CL Atlanta

it used to be the scourge of the fleet , but really its been power creeped to the point of  being just also runs ; its primary function as AA platform and DD killer and sometime HE spammer can be deal with even before its recent downward run of popularity and the current meta just made it even harder to work its own ... similar as Belfast its Radar is now somewhat lacking when the fleet can have say 3 or 4 10/12KM Radar and of course it does not help that now the ranging is more like 10/12/15 KM ; and AA well its now shown that even with 6X2 127mm Dual , its not really doing much either vs say like class CL of same ttier let alone some heavy AA specified CA / BB

all the Russian BB

no they are not bad, they are just overrated by the hype  ; when they were first introduced people marvel at what they can dish out vs how much they can take ... but now that they are here for a while the population had taken to adapt and its found that they are really no better or no worse than others , just different

T9 USS DD Black

13.7Km Torp, radar, but in the end its still a Fletcher ; its specialty torp and Radar does not really give it any significant  combat advantage , it does give it an alternative play / play style but again knowing it players can manage and adapt ... again its useful when there's only minimal quantity of DD around without enough Cruiser support but that really would not be the case mostly in Random, it could do well in isolated 1 vs 1 DD engagement using that Radar as early warning but once close in those slow torp is proving less useful. In Ranked it had some use otherwise its nothing  special really

T10 IJN Yamato

Its still the guns to Over match everyone and yes it had pretty good AA ( for a Japanese ship especially ) but its been here since what ... and everyone already learn about everything about it good or bad ;  and that simply mean everyone already know how to work around and Yamato ( and Mushashi ) really had nothing to offer to side step any. its still a powerful ship and it can contribute but its not really as mythical as its status would claim

There are others ; especially on the low to mid tier but let's just stat some storming of the minds here

Edited by Mechfori

[FORCE]
2,183 posts
11,597 battles

Jutland's gun reload was good enough to be competitive (only second to Kitakaze). But WG decided to nerf it on 0.8.6. But I agree about the slow speed (plus lack of speed boost) makes overextending less forgiving.

Atlanta's radar isn't really that lacking. At T7, only Indianapolis has longer radar range (10 km), while other radars with longer range are at T8 & higher.

[CLAY]
2,641 posts
11,962 battles

12 hours ago, Mechfori said:

but its not really as mythical as its status would claim

Yamato is mythical because the ship in real life was mythical. It was about what it meant to Japan.

And yes, its even overrated in  real life, considering what happened to it.

But still, that legendary mythical status of the real ship carries over into the game. Especially if you're an anime fan.

Edited by Grygus_Triss

[TLS]
3,924 posts
19,932 battles

By extension, every T10 BB is overrated due to the fact they are supposed to be "Yamato analogues/counters".

• Funny 1

[TLS]
231 posts
7,830 battles

Well, it been for a while to actually touch my Yama and every time I touched it and actually bring to random (rarely go snipe since I am a *** crazy BB with obsession of pushing tank ). But lately the aiming been off.

RN DD been overrated for long time, even DAring will ate BB AP all day since with that massive hull, every shells hit hurt.

RU BB not overrated but rather too good that not much it's weakness show in many gameplay. Most 60% you will hit and YOU WILL HIT so it 's not like you useless.

Atlanta got overrated AA back before rework but it not mean anything in current meta. And since you will meet tons of ships up-tier, any chance of improvement seem hard.

Black is also same case, back when Radar first introduce of course it strong. But current meta give many line radar for exact purpose, why need Black anymore ?

Well, talk about overrated, I got JB and Georgia and here the comparison.

Speed : While we already know France speed boost for cruisers is too good, Speed boost for BB just kinda………….stupid. I mean it only boost you a little so why even give it in the first place ? JB only 31knots at normal speed and 33 at speed boost while Georgia got speed boost of a DDs IT GOT 39 MAX SPEED. ( wait is this suppose to be balance  ?) 

Gun: JB only carry 380mm gun and 2 of them while Georgia carry 457mm gun ( I mean the caliber right there ) why it so good at carry those around while JB gun still got really stupid dispersion even up-close ?

AA : Well it a joke so don't ask me much of AA JB is overrated ( used to be god but now is meh so......NEXT )

Armor : you guys already know the armor so I wont talk much about this.

JB now got over-shadow by Georgia so much, it not much enjoy anymore.  Also the meta change drastically so static ships like JB is just not useful anymore.

( I just talk crap about JB but it still my highest dmg ship so depend on you guys )

Edited by appoclyse

[SMOKE]
1,814 posts
15,556 battles

I do agree RN DD in general are overrated and it seems so covering all the tiers .... Especially now eith so many Radar and all of aerial threats ; I was having some expectation when finally grind to Jutland with so many hailing it great .. in the end what disappointment 

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,273 posts
10,805 battles

Jutland is fantastic, even post nerf.  This is mostly due to having the best smoke in the game combined with the long duration hydro and very good concealment, and it gets very versatile single shot torps and decent guns.  It's not the best in the line for it's tier though, that goes to the Lightning, which is imo the best DD in the game tier for tier.

Atlanta was never strong, it's just that a lot of people find it fun (not me personally, but I can appreciate why people do).  It's objectively always been in the weak to okay range though.

Black is strong, but not OP.  It's main selling points are it's incredibly hilarious torps, and of course the ability to counter other DD's with radar.  It's a great deal of fun to play because of this, but I am aware some people don't like the torps and therefore don't like the ship.  I personally think the torps are some of the best in the game.  The strongest thing about Black is how well it meshes with other ships, in particular a Kitakaze.  A Black/Kita combo is one of the most powerful ship pairings in the game.

I hate Yammy with a passion, I think it is one of the most boring ships in the game.  It's definitely balanced though, being neither under nor over powered.  I understand some people really like it, and good for them.

So I guess I disagree with most of your assertions.

1,160 posts
11,077 battles
3 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Jutland is fantastic, even post nerf.  This is mostly due to having the best smoke in the game combined with the long duration hydro and very good concealment, and it gets very versatile single shot torps and decent guns.  It's not the best in the line for it's tier though, that goes to the Lightning, which is imo the best DD in the game tier for tier.

Lightning is T8 mate lol. Jutland is still OP imo for all the reasons you just stated.

4 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Black is strong, but not OP.  It's main selling points are it's incredibly hilarious torps

And yet people run into them so often! haha I like Black, I enjoy the mind games involved in getting torp hits.

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,273 posts
10,805 battles
1 hour ago, dieselhead said:

Lightning is T8 mate lol.

Indeed, that's why I said it was the best in the line for its tier. Basically Lightning is a better T8 DD than Jutland is a T9 DD. Apologies if I didn't express myself clearly enough. 

1,160 posts
11,077 battles
4 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

Indeed, that's why I said it was the best in the line for its tier. Basically Lightning is a better T8 DD than Jutland is a T9 DD. Apologies if I didn't express myself clearly enough. 

Actually thats my bad, thought you wrote "tier for tier"..been a long day lol

Sign in to follow this