You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
XxxGr1ffinxxX

Which coal ship?

19 comments in this topic

105 posts
3,044 battles

Yep, its another one of these, and my main question is, which of the freemiums to go for out of Jean Bart, Georgia or Yoshino? (maybe salem, played des moines in space battle and it was so fuckin fun)

Now im asking now so when I get the coal for it, which one?

Some BG info, my first line was the IJN line, so the Yoshino's long range 310mm 'high explosive watermelons' is very appealing

ive watched a lot of flambass, and he plays JB a lot, so I've seen the best of her

However the Georgia is a hybrid that im interested in, not many guns, but they're big and accurate. It seems appealing as I have the tirpitz, and secondaries are what the Georgia and Tirp specialize in, and very similar style of armour excluding the turtle-back armour scheme of the tirpitz. not only this but also I've heard you need a 14 point captain for her to truly shine

aaand the salem, well, the only experience ive had with des moines is, like I said the space battles, which is very different to the random battles, but it was huge fun and I was doing damn well. nonetheless I think she wouldn't be a bad investment.

overall I need a ship that can bring back the bacon, because... well to say this much, I went from 1mil credits to 200k after playing ranked battles with the rental ships. ofc that was my first time playing those ships AND in ranked so clearly was never gonna do well

oh well, still, that's just gonna be something that I will want help with, and also ik that JB  is goin to go before everything else but idk how to play it, oh well, every new ship is going to be trial and error

anyway thanks again!

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,319 posts
26,028 battles
1 hour ago, XxxGr1ffinxxX said:

Yep, its another one of these, and my main question is, which of the freemiums to go for out of Jean Bart, Georgia or Yoshino? (maybe salem, played des moines in space battle and it was so fuckin fun)

Now im asking now so when I get the coal for it, which one?

Some BG info, my first line was the IJN line, so the Yoshino's long range 310mm 'high explosive watermelons' is very appealing

ive watched a lot of flambass, and he plays JB a lot, so I've seen the best of her

However the Georgia is a hybrid that im interested in, not many guns, but they're big and accurate. It seems appealing as I have the tirpitz, and secondaries are what the Georgia and Tirp specialize in, and very similar style of armour excluding the turtle-back armour scheme of the tirpitz. not only this but also I've heard you need a 14 point captain for her to truly shine

aaand the salem, well, the only experience ive had with des moines is, like I said the space battles, which is very different to the random battles, but it was huge fun and I was doing damn well. nonetheless I think she wouldn't be a bad investment.

overall I need a ship that can bring back the bacon, because... well to say this much, I went from 1mil credits to 200k after playing ranked battles with the rental ships. ofc that was my first time playing those ships AND in ranked so clearly was never gonna do well

oh well, still, that's just gonna be something that I will want help with, and also ik that JB  is goin to go before everything else but idk how to play it, oh well, every new ship is going to be trial and error

anyway thanks again!

i would suggest JB

yoshino gets deleted easily so i dont suggest lower skilled players to get it

salem is a piece of turd and a legend mod DM is much better whilst not being a waste of coal

georgia is super fun, but you need map awareness, situational awareness, good accuracy and knowing when to push/pull back, all of which you said you didnt have over at your other post, also, you dont need a 14 point captain for georgia , you need a 19 point captain, or at the very least a 17 point 

Edited by drakon233

[-BRO-]
511 posts
11,887 battles

Jean Bart and Georgia are the two I have, I can say Jean Bart is the better of the two.

You're right Georgia has nice guns and secondaries, but she's quite squishy. Angling in any way makes no difference at all, she takes lots of damage from pretty much everyone. Also if you can't get close enough to use the secondaries you have a DPM disadvantage. If you're expecting an experience like Tirpitz or Massachusetts you'll be disappointed. I can't say I've enjoyed Georgia very much, I don't mesh well with her yet as well as having had some bad luck. I've had more fun with Iowa than her to be honest.

Jean Bart on the other hand plays quite well in most situations and where she doesn't Georgia is worse.

401 posts
3,047 battles

Yohino is so disappointing, to put it mildly, that BBs just find it comfortable to send you back to port in a matter of seconds after they spot you. Given the absence of armor, hydro and the failed design of the ship, there's literally no angle that can save you from its imminent death. 20km torps is a joke! 

Georgia can be a very annoying target to shoot at owing to its high speed but its Gneisenau like gun-setup makes me question if its really worth spending over 200k coal when I've already researched an equally fun Iowa

Salem looks generic but it has good guns 

Personally, I would get a JB since i've already saved up 110k coal so far and it's the only ship that offers a different playstyle than the ones I've got in my port. 

Edited by Stormcloak

459 posts
4,576 battles

Just FYI, Yoshino is NOT, I repeat, NOT a credit making premium. Here is a detailed excerpt from LWM's review

image.thumb.png.8fd656e26e08651dbf780e27eaebcd4f.png

So if you want to make bank, Yoshino or Salem aren't it. Personally I suggest JB. Fun as heck ship. Great guns, great handling and even though I have Musashi with my main BB line as IJN, I love playing JB to pieces.

Edited by LonerPrime

4,502 posts
8,614 battles
16 minutes ago, LonerPrime said:

Just FYI, Yoshino is NOT, I repeat, NOT a credit making premium. Here is a detailed excerpt from LWM's review

So if you want to make bank, Yoshino or Salem aren't it. Personally I suggest JB. Fun as heck ship. Great guns, great handling and even though I have Musashi with my main BB line as IJN, I love playing JB to pieces.

NANI?!?!??

The lesson is "don't count on T10 Coal ships when you want to make credit" I guess.

I guess it's Siegfried and Friesland then.

Edited by Paladinum

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,319 posts
26,028 battles
41 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

basically T10 prems are like a tech tech tree ship with T10 prem camo, the reason that people play her is because she's fun and can still make a bunch or credits at the same time

the T9s are like normal prems in terms of income

4,502 posts
8,614 battles
15 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

basically T10 prems are like a tech tech tree ship with T10 prem camo, the reason that people play her is because she's fun and can still make a bunch or credits at the same time

From what I read on the Wiki and having Salem, Salem also benefits from having only 50% of the service cost of T10 tech tree ships (90k instead of 180k, before 50% more from prem camo). So I guess I can make money with T10 Coal ship (?)

At least let them have T8 prem's profit level...

Edited by Paladinum

[FORCE]
2,196 posts
11,670 battles
19 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

From what I read on the Wiki and having Salem, Salem also benefits from having only 50% of the service cost of T10 tech tree ships (90k instead of 180k, before 50% more from prem camo). So I guess I can make money with T10 Coal ship (?)

At least let them have T8 prem's profit level...

Salem is only good at being the "poor man's DM" (a.k.a. saving your wallet from 5k doubloons for the permanent camo). I think WG stated somewhere that you can earn more by hitting the higher tier ships. So in this case, all T9 freemiums are basically better at earning money unless they somehow ended at the top tier.

[SMOKE]
1,820 posts
15,620 battles

Salem is actually quite a fun ship to play , but its not DM and it do not play the same , the shorter range Radar mean its not for those who like to park and snipe using that high lobbing trajectory ; Its a particular ship and do require particular play style to excel , if one is primarily BB / BC / CA player who do not charge into mid and close range much ; its likely not for you , its a CA that need to be played like a CL 

Yoshino  is another one of those that play particular too .. for people who are accustomed to typical BB / CA / CB play , would likely find it not to theirs. On the other hand for those who could exploit its character with constant movement, positioning, and knowing to formation with the light force ; it can be very rewarding

JB and Georgia is well, BB in the typical BB fashion .... and of their nationality trend also ; its kind of an insurance but also no surprise and not much of individuality as well

• Cool 1

213 posts
9,985 battles

I recommend JB.
I have all the ships you list apart from Salem ( have a legendary mod DM... so why bother with Salem).
I also like Georgia, but I run it like JB: the secondaries are quite good, but the ship does not have the secondary pen or the survivability to justify a brawling build.
I run a standard tank / main gun build in JB and Georgia and its works well if I use the speed to flank and get crossfires.
Georgia and JB are similar in playstyle in that they are both mobile flankers that can really punish broadside with their main guns.

There is only one ship in the game that I run full brawling build on: the GK (with IFHE).

105 posts
3,044 battles
23 hours ago, drakon233 said:

i would suggest JB

yoshino gets deleted easily so i dont suggest lower skilled players to get it

salem is a piece of turd and a legend mod DM is much better whilst not being a waste of coal

georgia is super fun, but you need map awareness, situational awareness, good accuracy and knowing when to push/pull back, all of which you said you didnt have over at your other post, also, you dont need a 14 point captain for georgia , you need a 19 point captain, or at the very least a 17 point 

well yes the JB sounds fun but I have no clue on her playstyle, but trial and error I guess

lol ik the yoshino is squishy, but mind you I play very squishy ships (chappy, mogami, pepsi, atlanta… yeah im used to being a HE spammer) regardless yoshino sounds like a lot of fun, I do lean to her over anything bc first line bias

lol that's basically the salem, I don't really want her either, but it basically saves me the grind to DM.... lol im lazy, sounds like something I'd do

ah yes the Georgia, another fine result of WG big ole' box of gimmicks. Yes im serious, im  not good with situational/map awareness and when to push/retreat. hmmm my accuracy... well I don't play bb's with floaty America piercing shells, although im not that bad of a shot, definitely wont take long to learn. aaand here we approach the problem, the only captains for American ships are Ovechkin or the free 10 pnt captain you get for completing a scenario, idk what one. but 10 points is gonna be a hard grind to get to 17 AT LEAST. and also the only non premium US ships I have is Pensacola. excluding atlanta and texas

oh well, thanks for the feedback, I will put all of this into account 🙂 maybe play together one time

105 posts
3,044 battles
23 hours ago, Stormcloak said:

Personally, I would get a JB since i've already saved up 110k coal so far and it's the only ship that offers a different playstyle than the ones I've got in my port. 

god damn, ive been so pumped for yoshino, only to be disappointed by the feedback... but everybody seems to be screaming JB

and this particular sentence I can relate to so much bc I got to the Bretagne then gave up... so yeah, other than the insane luck from norm containers to get Jaguar and Guepard, (and Aigle, very good) that's all the French I have. 

if I get JB we should do a speschuuul div 😉

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
1,503 posts
12,401 battles
8 minutes ago, XxxGr1ffinxxX said:

god damn, ive been so pumped for yoshino, only to be disappointed by the feedback... but everybody seems to be screaming JB

no worries, u not the one got disaapointed at yoshiNOOOO

jean bart is a unique ship that is fun and versatile, worth to get it

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,593 posts
7,352 battles

JB is a winner.  You cant go wrong with it.  Its guns can be a bit "meh" but once you learn how to use it you can be pretty aggressive.  Cruisers hate this ship.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,319 posts
26,028 battles
32 minutes ago, XxxGr1ffinxxX said:

and this particular sentence I can relate to so much bc I got to the Bretagne then gave up... so yeah, other than the insane luck from norm containers to get Jaguar and Guepard, (and Aigle, very good) that's all the French I have. 

if I get JB we should do a speschuuul div 😉

the yoshino isnt bad, it's just that tier for tier JB is better

4,502 posts
8,614 battles

Georg vs JB?

Had to ask. I'm inclined toward JB (MBRB), but still want to know opinions from people that have played the ships. But please refrain from "I like/hate it", "This ship is fun/not fun", etc.

Apologies if I accidentally hijack the thread.

Edited by Paladinum

213 posts
9,985 battles

JB is better, especially in ranked.
JB can relocate under engine boost, reach an unexpected or inconvenient location, island hug to cover a flank, bow tank its chosen victim, and is strong throwing AP or HE under reload booster. You can burn down bigger HP battleships than you in a 1v1 trade.

Georgia is even more mobile, but once you get there, I always feel like I'd rather have the reload booster of the JB over the big guns of Georgia. Don't get me wrong, Georgia guns are good, especially in Randoms with more targets of opportunity. Deleting half angled cruisers is a strength that Georgia has and JB struggles with.

Georgia tempts one to run a brawling build, by recycling a Massa captain, but her secondaries are good T8 secondaries, with no buff (they are not "T9 brawling secondaries") and her survivability close in is below par. Too many HE pens. You need to finish a close up opponent fairly quickly with main battery, not grind them for 2-3 minutes. JB is a better finisher due to her reload booster consumable.

I used to run a soft secondary / AA build on JB, but 95% of secondary hits just shattered, so there wasn't much point. Once CVs got nerfed I just run a full tank build and enjoy the quite good AA and secondaries as stock. Same logic applies for Georgia IMO.

Edited by MeglaGnome
spelling and clarity
  • Cool 2