You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
iCaptain_Nemo

When does content become too much?

15 comments in this topic

[NAU]
[NAU]
16 posts
11,377 battles

I love playing World of Warships and have thousands of battles in all game modes. I also have completed every collection available and have to play every mode available. I know there are many other players across all servers who do the same. I love the game so much that I even hatched the idea of starting a community event which became the King of the Tasman. Recently I have noticed many players including myself becoming tired and having a feeling of been overloaded with event after event rolling into the live server. I can just imagine that the content team and other teams would be just as tired with events such as Savage Battles and Clan Battles, followed by Ranked Battles followed by Ranked Sprint, followed by Clan Battles and Ranked at the same time. In the midst of this is the release of new lines and masses of premium, coal and steel ships. I understand that new content attracts new players but as an avid player of the game, can we slow down on the content for a while and allow the game to be enjoyed for what it is?

• Cool 7

4,520 posts
8,627 battles

Keeping players playing keeps players opening their wallets.

To shorten certain grinds to certain content, there is always a "cough up your money" option.

On the other hand, players can always choose the "this Update's content is boring. I'll pass and play other games waiting for more interesting content" option.

• Cool 1

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,276 posts
10,838 battles

I think the devs want to have something available all the time for players to do, if they so choose.

That's the thing though, if you try to do everything you WILL get burnt out.  There is just too much stuff.  They are running CB's and RB's at the same time right now for example!

So I think it's important to only play the stuff you are interested in, and if completing stuff within the time allocated starts to feel too onerous, just stop.  Why play unless you are having fun?  I only play the ships I enjoy, and participate in the parts of the game I enjoy.  If I don't find stuff fun, I don't do it, because why would you?

Completionism might give a passing satisfaction at times, but it is not a healthy way to play the game.

• Cool 3

[CLAY]
2,666 posts
12,012 battles

Despite being two completely different types of games, I often draw comparisons between World of Warships and World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft has... mountains of content, so much so that it is impossible to complete it all. But the key difference between WoW and WoWS content, is in WoW, it is always there. You could take a year break and the content would still be there (short of a handful of special events per expansion).

With WoWS, the only constants are the tech trees, the campaigns, and the rewards for getting stars first time on operations. Maybe the steel/FXP/Coal ships, but who can tell?

All the events that happen are temporary, if you miss them, they're gone, and if you still want them, you can probably buy them.

Its admirable to ensure that players always have something to do, but not expect them to do everything, but unlike WoW, this sort of 'limited time event' forces people into trying to complete everything for fear of missing out.

I'm not saying you should make events permanent (though a few more permanent campaigns would not go astray), but reducing the rate of new content would give people time to breath. You'd have less whales on, the quality of gameplay would probably increase, players would be happier and play longer.

Edited by Grygus_Triss

[BLESS]
1,156 posts
10,345 battles

You have to pick and choose. It is no longer possible to complete all the content on offer. Not without paying at least.

Like for the French missions, it was hard for me to quit, but I looked at the 3rd and 4th set of directives and ... nope. I have better things to do with my summer vacation than play WoWS for 4-5 h a day.

This is of course by design. WG wants you to buy $30 worth of premium containers and shortcut your way through the French event, and the same holds for pretty much for all of these monthly timed-content things. The new pretty shiny is set out for you to look at, and seems reachable initially, but in reality it's locked in a glass case with a price tag attached.

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 2

[TF44]
431 posts
19,653 battles

They have a KPI called player engagement which is probably the reason for all the non-stop events. It needs to be at an all time high.

4,520 posts
8,627 battles
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Its admiral

You mean 'admirable'?

Its admiral to ensure that players always have something to do, but not expect them to do everything, but unlike WoW, this sort of 'limited time event' forces people into trying to complete everything for fear of missing out.

That's where your wallet comes in :Smile_veryhappy: I'm glad I can shrug my shoulders at events I don't find rewarding/interesting with ease. Like the incoming 2nd part of the French Arc. A legendary French captain blocked behind a timed grind wall? Check all the "I don't give a sh*t about" criteria (including being French).

I'm not saying you should make events permanent (though a few more permanent campaigns would not go astray), but reducing the rate of new content would give people time to breath. You'd have less whales on, the quality of gameplay would probably increase, players would be happier and play longer.

Quality of gameplay = good game mechanics, WoWS still has a long way to go in that aspect... Put out all the events they like, but they need to fix the mechanics AND reward system first.

Edited by Paladinum

[CLAY]
2,666 posts
12,012 battles
43 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

You mean 'admirable'?

Thankyou for pointing out my bad spelling.

44 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

That's where your wallet comes in :Smile_veryhappy: I'm glad I can shrug my shoulders at events I don't find rewarding/interesting with ease. Like the incoming 2nd part of the French Arc. A legendary French captain blocked behind a timed grind wall? Check all the "I don't give a sh*t about" criteria (including being French).

TBH, as a former WoW player, I would not mind paying a small fee for the game, especially if it meant less of these obvious money making tactics which affect the game.

45 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Quality of gameplay = good game mechanics, WoWS still has a long way to go in that aspect... Put out all the events they like, but they need to fix the mechanics AND reward system first.

I meant 'quality of gameplay' as in, less players forcing themselves to complete events in ships they have little skill in. Or people focusing on playing the game rather than the event.

Of course, I still think that if WG slowed down with the events, they may have more time to spend on the quality of life of the game.

[SMOKE]
1,831 posts
15,667 battles

one would only feel over loaded if one always try to get to do each and every event / season / mission etc etc ... instead focus on what one find fun to play and stick with it ; if you get something done in due course, think of it as extra bonus

[TF44]
107 posts
11,354 battles

Yeah, I'm so deep into the French stage III (silly) grind that it's become a challenge that I'm now interested in completing, but it means I can't afford to play Ranked (yet), which is annoying.

CB play 4 nights a week makes completing the French missions an even more risky decision, but I guess I've decided I'm prepared to lose out everywhere if I do (no Sirocco, no/little ranked). 

What I won't do is buy WGambling chests. Nope. I'll buy things where I know I'll get what I pay for; I will not spend money on the illusory 'chance' of receiving what I want. 

• Cool 4

[IWN]
88 posts
4,453 battles
11 hours ago, Farlesquew said:

Yeah, I'm so deep into the French stage III (silly) grind that it's become a challenge that I'm now interested in completing, but it means I can't afford to play Ranked (yet), which is annoying.

I gave up on the third one, simply no point for me in trying to soldier through that part. I might just be able to get that 3mil credits for one faction if I did nothing but play 24 hours, and then do that five times over PLUS grind for the T5 ships to even be able to? Yeah, no thanks, I'll skip. Sucks to see the last stage being something you can just clear with ease though. Haven't even gotten more than one French DD in the boxes, so it's not like I really even care about them at this point.

[4RSE]
274 posts
6,857 battles

So far I have managed to grind through the 3rd directive for 4 nations (Commonwealth, Pan Asia, UK and Germany) and am 2/3 through France and USA. All done in Co-Op. It hasn't been too grindy either. I only have the one French ship as well, the T6 Geupard (or however it is spelled). Been a bit of a steep learning curve that one, but as long as I try to play it light cruiser style I can manage to do ok.

[POI]
968 posts
10,423 battles

The "campaign" has been quiet for a long long time. I'd love to see more permanent "campaigns" added so players can complete them at their on time. 

I tried to complete all tasks and events up to early this year, then I realised I just couldn't keep up anymore. Missing out stuffs is a norm to me now. Burnt out badly, just wanna enjoy the game by my own phase instead of rushing to finish all those assignments. 

4,520 posts
8,627 battles
On 8/11/2019 at 7:04 PM, Grygus_Triss said:

I meant 'quality of gameplay' as in, less players forcing themselves to complete events in ships they have little skill in. Or people focusing on playing the game rather than the event.

I don't think that's 'quality', more like 'ease of access/play'? :fish_book:

On 8/11/2019 at 7:04 PM, Grygus_Triss said:

Of course, I still think that if WG slowed down with the events, they may have more time to spend on the quality of life of the game.

I think that new ship lines shouldn't have any event tied to them. Cash grab should be on premium ships and premium time, not stupid loot boxes :cap_old:

3 hours ago, Oriental_Empress said:

I might just be able to get that 3mil credits for one faction if I did nothing but play 24 hours, and then do that five times over PLUS grind for the T5 ships to even be able to? Yeah, no thanks, I'll skip.

I actually can grind through all of that but I don't have premium time. That's the issue, you need to buy premium time :fish_palm:

22 minutes ago, Darkworld_2015 said:

I tried to complete all tasks and events up to early this year, then I realised I just couldn't keep up anymore. Missing out stuffs is a norm to me now. Burnt out badly, just wanna enjoy the game by my own phase instead of rushing to finish all those assignments. 

I right now am like just gathering Coal, Steel and FXP :Smile_veryhappy: