Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Probably my best game ever

3 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,159 posts
10,394 battles

1960270185_Screenshot(537).thumb.png.89998a1d531d2cb5f362ec87784e0efe.png

Nothing special in terms of ribbons, awards, or damage done. Even the XP earned doesn't tell the whole story, though of course it is always nice to top the winning team of a T10 game with a T8 ship.

This game was memorable for the come-back, and for demonstrating how patience and good team strategy can overcome brute firepower. As @Grygus_Triss can vouch for, we were down bad mid game. Close to 300/800 on points, all caps red, our team pushed back to the 2 line, with the enemy Salem holding us off from between the A and B caps. Real "Hail Mary" moment. Then, it all evaporated. Our Kremlin pushed with me to put the Salem in a pincer, I ducked around the back of the island to dispatch him in what must surely be the most satisfying drive-bys of my WoWS career. Our remaining ships pushed with me through the middle of the map, taking A->B->C in succession. Finished the run watching the full health enemy Lexington wipe out into my torps. I didn't manage to do damage to any other ships all game: it was two ships damaged, two dev. strikes awarded, plus two full caps and one assist.

It's interesting to look at a highly strategic game like this one and ask why we won, or why the other team lost. Because it wasn't really a skill differential (the enemy team played well, and were this close to beating us) but rather it came down to just one or two bad decisions on their part, and maybe some better-than-average coordination on ours.

I would say the critical point was the early stage battle for A cap, which I was engaged in. The Salem went in with the Le Fantasque early to flip it. I didn't fall for the bait, but instead ran up the 2 line to spot, out of range of the Salems radar. (We had no radar in our squadron, my supporting cruiser was the Hindenburg.) At that point, under heavy fire and permaspotted, the enemy DD decided his job at A was done and took off, leaving the Salem alone to defend. If I'd gone up to the cap early I'd have been radared by the Salem and gunned down by the French DD, almost certainly. The enemy's mistake was the Salem should have retreated with the DD, while it was still safe to do so, consolidating B and C caps and regrouping to meet our push. Instead the Salem ended up isolated and trapped, with the rest of their ships scattered over the map following their various engagements allowing us to focus them one or two at a time. Definite props to our BBs though, the Kremlin in particular, for driving right up into the caps with me for some serious close support firepower.

For every 1000 games or so, you get one like this where it all comes together. I suppose that's why we all keep playing, innit?

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 5

[CLAY]
2,671 posts
12,048 battles

I did watch the rest of that game, the end definably surprised me.

I didn't perform especially well, hung on to the C cap for too long instead of bugging out. I thought that with me, the two Yoshino's, the Alsace and Musashi, we could hold the flank against, I think it was the Yoshino, Yamato, Iowa and Yugumo? Unfortunately, my side preferred the long range kiting playstyle. A useful playstyle, but at that point we needed caps and C was relatively undefended. Still doesn't excuse me for not reading situation better and bugging out.

But you and the rest played well and pulled through, so Gratz, it was a good game.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this