Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LonerPrime

Nintendo, MS, and Sony to disclose drop rates for loot boxes.

6 comments in this topic

459 posts
4,576 battles

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/7/20758626/nintendo-microsoft-sony-loot-box-drop-rate-disclosure-video-games

So it seems the push back against the gambling trap that is the "lootboxes" is showing results with major gaming platforms committing to make the details behind it more clearer. The move is being seen as a knee jerk reaction to compounding pressure from various groups after multiple news stories and political interventions described the concept as scumy and a very grey exploit of pawning off addiction as "surprise mechanics". Though the ideal scenario would be to get rid of this all together, the fact that they have started off by disclosing exactly how much % of a chance you really have of the item dropping, does seem to be a step in the right direction.

Now we all know that WoWs is just not a PC exclusive and does have a PS4 and XBox variant which will put them under the new changes as committed by the console brands. We also know that Wargaming has been very aggressive recently pushing their "lootboxes"(the recent ridiculous sale of 2+1) but this new development should put WG in an interesting predicament. I'm now very curious to see if this new change only limits the disclosing clause to console only or will Microsoft extend their commitments to Windows 10 as well and make PC games also adhere to the RNG disclosure.

Personally, I'm all for it. I've never shied from paying for a good deal but recent WG events and changes made to the game has been less about healthy playerbase decisions and more "how can we make them spend more without actually adding quality changes". What do you guys think about this though? Good stuff or meh?

• Cool 2

4,528 posts
8,629 battles

"This service is not available in Russia" :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 4

[CLAY]
2,667 posts
12,025 battles

It’s good news.

I suspect WG have seen It coming, they may have been pushing the loot box angle so much lately because they knew it was a closing window. Which further supports my theory that marketing is well and truely in control and is focused on getting as much money out of us as possible.

That said, they probably won’t move it over to PC until forced.

• Cool 4

[TWR]
1,307 posts
4,842 battles
5 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

That said, they probably won’t move it over to PC until forced.

And there is nothing stopping them from disclosing the rate for the console versions and having a different rate for PC till then.

Administrator
373 posts
9 hours ago, LonerPrime said:

but recent WG events and changes made to the game has been less about healthy playerbase decisions and more "how can we make them spend more without actually adding quality changes".

Good point, captain. We appreciate your outspoken opinion and the article was also very informative.

Of course we assume that our department in charge has already known the issue, so... we shall see...! :Smile_hiding:

[MRI]
3,452 posts
14,846 battles

This is at least a small step in the right direction, though unless more countries start clamping down on lootboxes it is unlikely to affect WoWs PC. WG could always use a different drop rate for consoles and PC.

Besides WG was already experimenting with a different type of lootbox in the Summer sale. It has a guaranteed Premium ship, but that ship may not be what you want. 

Sign in to follow this