You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PanzerTitusFernandez

FDG skills and equipment please!

38 comments in this topic

92 posts
3,648 battles

As the title suggests, i have no idea how to potentially build my future FDG, once i get around to unlocking it of course. Having gone down the RU BB line and discovering my love for close combat i decided to go down the German line.

So what sort of skills and equipment do i need to put on the FDG?

[TLS]
62 posts
23,123 battles

Here quick reference for captain skills (refer build recommended for this ship)

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc?sid=4180621104

just click any captain that suits your build.

Hope this helps

• Cool 1

459 posts
4,576 battles

What you are asking us is "The Manly Build". Manly build is pretty much close quarters, jousting whereby you beat your opponent to a pulp in honorable combat. Either that or you get BBQed from long range HE spamming kiters while you try to close the distance. Sadly its the meta of long ranger trigger pullers and close range combat is almost non existent while your own team sees you as YOLO idiot who isn't worth supporting. Some of them are cowards while others just don't trust a random player. In any case, German line is right now in sore need for some buffs as its highly unreliable with FDG considered the biggest turd of them all. If you still want to walk the path of "The Man" here is your build:

Hardcore Manly Build:

image.png.e0d4065fc99a0a64fc1eb0b3b64923a9.png

For ship upgrades:  Main Arm Mod 1 > DCS Mod 1 > Secondary Battery Mod 1 > Steering Gear Mod > Target Acquisition Mod > Main Battery Mod 1

In this build, you forego all strategy and turn yourself into an advancing fortress. You use islands to shield yourself and slowly pull closer to the enemy. As CVs are almost always in high tier games, you have no need for concealment as they will almost always light you up. This is a tank build where you mitigate the damage being thrown at you while at the same time you make your secondaries work for you. Your ideal operating range is between 8 to 12 kilometers as the closer you get, the lesser the chance of your main guns going whack with dispersion. Target Acquisition Mod combined with Steering Gear Mod will help you dodge those torp. Don't get me wrong, she turns like a truck still but those upgrades are the difference between eating two torps or Devastating Strike.

Now once again let me say this, this build does not fit with the current meta. Hand down, it's ridiculously fun but you will have too many counters. Stealth DD stalkers, kiting HE cruisers, AP dropping CVs that farm citadels on you since you will always be alone etc. All in all, it's an unorthodox line to pursue right now as it's unique quirk is the most useless right now. Anyhow I'll call in a German fan. It's best you get his input on this subject as well @Paladinum

Edited by LonerPrime
  • Cool 3

401 posts
3,047 battles

These are my Tank/Secondaries build, I respecced them not long ago to remove BFT and CEshot-19_08.06_21_56.44-0085.thumb.jpg.83a75a13231a8fcbe09edea040f29b02.jpg

Edited by Frozen Hearth
  • Cool 1

92 posts
3,648 battles
40 minutes ago, Coccoro said:

Here quick reference for captain skills (refer build recommended for this ship)

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc?sid=4180621104

just click any captain that suits your build.

Hope this helps

Cool thanks!

36 minutes ago, LonerPrime said:

What you are asking us is "The Manly Build". Manly build is pretty much close quarters, jousting whereby you beat your opponent to a pulp in honorable combat. Either that or you get BBQed from long range HE spamming kiters while you try to close the distance. Sadly its the meta of long ranger trigger pullers and close range combat is almost non existent while your own team sees you as YOLO idiot who isn't worth supporting. Some of them are cowards while others just don't trust a random player. In any case, German line is right now in sore need for some buffs as its highly unreliable with FDG considered the biggest turd of them all. If you still want to walk the path of "The Man" here is your build:

Hardcore Manly Build:

image.png.e0d4065fc99a0a64fc1eb0b3b64923a9.png

For ship upgrades:  Main Arm Mod 1 > DCS Mod 1 > Secondary Battery Mod 1 > Steering Gear Mod > Target Acquisition Mod > Main Battery Mod 1

In this build, you forego all strategy and turn yourself into an advancing fortress. You use islands to shield yourself and slowly pull closer to the enemy. As CVs are almost always in high tier games, you have no need for concealment as they will almost always light you up. This is a tank build where you mitigate the damage being thrown at you while at the same time you make your secondaries work for you. Your ideal operating range is between 8 to 12 kilometers as the closer you get, the lesser the chance of your main guns going whack with dispersion. Target Acquisition Mod combined with Steering Gear Mod will help you dodge those torp. Don't get me wrong, she turns like a truck still but those upgrades are the difference between eating two torps or Devastating Strike.

Now once again let me say this, this build does not fit with the current meta. Hand down, it's ridiculously fun but you will have too many counters. Stealth DD stalkers, kiting HE cruisers, AP dropping CVs that farm citadels on you since you will always be alone etc. All in all, it's an unorthodox line to pursue right now as it's unique quirk is the most useless right now. Anyhow I'll call in a German fan. It's best you get his input on this subject as well @Paladinum

Awesome post dude!, thanks for the detailed response!

Yeah i know the meta doesn't suit the German's anymore...but ever since i got my Vladivostok in a crate in 8.4, i came to love BB's as my main class choice and close combat BB's in general. Now obviously the RU BB's have certain traits that make them more advantageous in close combat, but...well i just want to have another close combat BB line. That and the German BB's have a rugged look to them.

34 minutes ago, Frozen Hearth said:

These are my Tank/Secondaries build, I respecced them not long ago to remove BFT and CEshot-19_08.06_21_56.44-0085.thumb.jpg.83a75a13231a8fcbe09edea040f29b02.jpg

Thanks man!!

Seriously you all, thanks for the replies 🙂

Btw, i have a 16 point German captain, and i'm 70k away from getting the FDG, what sort of skills should i get first?

401 posts
3,047 battles

Just now, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Btw, i have a 16 point German captain, and i'm 70k away from getting the FDG, what sort of skills should i get first?

Do note that the skills I mentioned are from my GK captain,  FDG is the only BB I was forced to skip. But I guess the skills will work just as fine with FDG as it does with GK. 

If you've got 4 points then go for FP first since it has an enormous superstructure that attracts HE spamming Cancerors and HIVs alike.

• Cool 1

92 posts
3,648 battles
Just now, Frozen Hearth said:

Do note that the skills I mentioned are from my GK captain,  FDG is the only BB I was forced to skip. But I guess the skills will work just as fine with FDG as it does with GK. 

If you've got 4 points then go for FP first since it has an enormous superstructure that attracts HE spamming Cancerors and HIVs alike.

Cool thanks!

459 posts
4,576 battles

Since you have chosen the Manly Build, here is how you get about it:

Priority Target > Expert Marksman > Basics of Survivability > Fire Prevention

This will make you the fortress. After that you start sharpening your teeth.

Adrenaline Rush > Manual Control for Secondaries > BFT(or Superintendent if you wanna go that way)

Edited by LonerPrime
  • Cool 1

92 posts
3,648 battles
1 minute ago, LonerPrime said:

Since you have chosen the Manly Build, here is how you get about it:

Priority Target > Expert Marksman > Basics of Survivability > Fire Prevention

This will make you the fortress. After that you start sharpening your teeth.

Adrenaline Rush > Manual Control for Secondaries > BFT(or Superintendent if you wanna go that way)

PS: You mention 16 point captain, so you will have to grind two more levels to get Manual Control after that.

Well, looks like i've got work to do....so how should the German line be buffed?

459 posts
4,576 battles

The guns. Those things are such a let down especially in this long range meta. WG designed German ships as brawlers so they gave them shotgun type guns. Lethal at short range but blah at long. But then decided "Meh, long range gunnery is where we want the game to be. Lets release HE spammers like Conqueror and Kremlin." Everything went to hell for German BBs after that. Then came the last nail in the coffin: AP bombers that wreck that turtleback in two. Nowadays German BBs are at the mercy of RNG.

Edited by LonerPrime
  • Cool 1

92 posts
3,648 battles
On 8/7/2019 at 3:51 AM, LonerPrime said:

The guns. Those things are such a let down especially in this long range meta. WG designed German ships as brawlers but then decided "Meh, long range gunnery is where we want the game to be. Lets release HE spammers like Conqueror and Kremlin." Everything went to hell for German BBs after that. Then came the last nail in the coffin. AP bombers that wreck that turtleback in two. Nowadays German BBs are at the mercy of RNG.

Ahh i see.

Though i argue that the Kremlin isn't a HE spammer (the HE is...ok-ish for dealing with angled Yammies and other Kremlins imho, but the AP is where it's at 90% of the time) like the Republique and the Conkek are, [content removed] those things. (I have the Republique and the Kremlin kappa XD)

Profanity. Post edited, user warned.

~Beaufighter

[KMS-A]
224 posts
5,455 battles

I would trade off EM and SI with AFT for the secondary range

4,493 posts
8,613 battles
6 hours ago, LonerPrime said:

Anyhow I'll call in a German fan. It's best you get his input on this subject as well @Paladinum

Nah

Edited by Paladinum

4,493 posts
8,613 battles
2 minutes ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

So i guess you have no advice?

Most German ships in the game are obsolete as they are.

What advice besides whatever the others have commented?

*scroll up*

Fine...

Since noone mentioned Upgrades... Or consumables...

Focus on secondary guns if you go that way.

Slot 4: either Rudder or Damage control

Slot 5: Concealment, duh

Slot 6: Main gun reload for FdG. Main gun range for GK.

Consumbles: NEVER pick Spotters. NEVER.

I run a hybrid main gun-sec gun build my FdG and GK. I pick no survival skill on their captains, but nearly all the sec skills but no IFHE. I pick Manual Sec and that is one heck of an investment.

• Cool 1

92 posts
3,648 battles
6 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Most German ships in the game are obsolete as they are.

I know, but i always wanted to try out German BB's...so yeah.

6 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Since noone mentioned Upgrades... Or consumables...

Focus on secondary guns if you go that way.

Slot 4: either Rudder or Damage control

Slot 5: Concealment, duh

Slot 6: Main gun reload for FdG. Main gun range for GK.

Consumbles: NEVER pick Spotters. NEVER.

Alright. Quick question though, why main hun range mod for GK?

I thought it suffers from the same dispersion issues?

Edited by PanzerTitusFernandez

4,493 posts
8,613 battles
24 minutes ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Quick question though, why main hun range mod for GK?

Vendetta. If they can hit me from more than my gun range, I want to hit them back. It isn't THAT bad but it IS bad.

• Funny 1

[POI]
968 posts
10,406 battles
30 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Vendetta. If they can hit me from more than my gun range, I want to hit them back. It isn't THAT bad but it IS bad.

Other BB of same tier have better main gun range except Kremlin. 

213 posts
9,985 battles

I run a GK with full meme secondaries, no survival skills.
Funny as f***.

40% of games I die early and on fire. 60% of games I collapse the red flank and we win. 

It feels useless against the meta, but the stats I get say otherwise. I rarely get huge games (ie damage or base xp), but I d seem to have a big impact on the win.

92 posts
3,648 battles
2 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Well, that sure is one way to spite someone XD.

38 minutes ago, MeglaGnome said:

I run a GK with full meme secondaries, no survival skills.
Funny as f***.

40% of games I die early and on fire. 60% of games I collapse the red flank and we win. 

It feels useless against the meta, but the stats I get say otherwise. I rarely get huge games (ie damage or base xp), but I d seem to have a big impact on the win.

Wow really?

4,493 posts
8,613 battles
1 hour ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Wow really?

Yes. The firework is satisfying to watch. And to say that "Bud, these small guns can shoot at ships too"

GK sec is better than FdG sec, btw.

• Cool 1

92 posts
3,648 battles
31 minutes ago, MeglaGnome said:

I know...... weird but true.

Life is indeed strange

Just now, Paladinum said:

Yes. The firework is satisfying to watch. And to say that "Bud, these small guns can shoot at ships too"

GK sec is better than FdG sec, btw.

So how does your GK build look like?

4,493 posts
8,613 battles
1 minute ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Life is indeed strange

So how does your GK build look like?

Same as commented above.

[SALT]
2,015 posts
10,542 battles

Seems Im the only one that have IFHE lol.

not that it advisable to anyone unless you know what your going into when picking specialized "quirck skill". though I do have more conventional CE pick - if there no opportunity to go Close quarter.

I also pick 420mm for same reason - when playing more traditional BB play. 420 is better IMO ,because anemic German dispersion, when it Hit its better hit hard

87d977d6e6.png

09f116b02a.png

Rarely anyone suspected it lol, with build using Flags + Fire prevention it now took long time for secondary to just rely on DOT alone. but IFHE secondary is straight Brutal, once I melt a 47k Donskoi in 2 min with just secondary while locking bow on versus a republique. its hillarius how fast you melt any cruiser with it

713d68bb22.png

Secondary is sub par build though, heavy investment for meager return. its FUN build (when it works), and IFHE is multiplied the fun for me lol

Edited by humusz