You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sis2310

When is WG going to fix auto-pilot???

18 comments in this topic

[KMS-A]
13 posts
10,229 battles

Decided to play a few CV games for god knows what reason...... 

Its great to see that auto-pilot is still a buggy PoS. 2 Battles I have used the auto-pilot and it has beached me on islands that I didn't tell it to go towards, then you get stuck and the ship wont reverse off it. Then you try to turn around but hit the map border and just get stuck and don't go anywhere. If only I could just use W,A,S,D to pilot the ship myself but apparently that's too hard for my feeble mind! (according to WG) 

• Angry 1

[MRI]
3,461 posts
14,902 battles

This patch somehow made autopilot even worse.

Edited by Thyaliad
  • Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,675 posts
12,106 battles
1 hour ago, sis2310 said:

Decided to play a few CV games for god knows what reason...... 

Its great to see that auto-pilot is still a buggy PoS. 2 Battles I have used the auto-pilot and it has beached me on islands that I didn't tell it to go towards, then you get stuck and the ship wont reverse off it. Then you try to turn around but hit the map border and just get stuck and don't go anywhere. If only I could just use W,A,S,D to pilot the ship myself but apparently that's too hard for my feeble mind! (according to WG) 

You can use WASD to pilot the ship. You just can't use planes at the same time.

Also, if not already, you can turn off the Collision Avoidance System under Settings>Controls. It has a tendency to overcorrect or crash into stuff while it tries to avoid stuff you were never going to hit in the first place.

And there are apparently autopilot changes incoming for next patch. How well these will work... is something I can't say.

4,546 posts
8,644 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

This patch somehow made autopilot even worse.

I don't even use it that much, lol

Terrain avoidance still needs A LOT of work.

[LBAS]
[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,568 posts
40,356 battles
46 minutes ago, dieselhead said:

changes are on test server atm arent they?

They said it improved  but still hit island like before, not enough to call as IMPROVEMENT

580 posts
1,637 battles
20 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

I don't even use it that much, lol

Terrain avoidance still needs A LOT of work.

Collision detection and avoidance is one of the basic function block of the game engine including the Big World Engine used by WOWS.

Although Big World was bought by WG. I am not sure if they still keeping those Big World developer from Sydney though.

[KAMI]
428 posts
5,712 battles

That collision avoidance system won't turn off despite my settings saying its off. Going near islands is just dangerous right now, regardless of ship type.

• Cool 1

[SMOKE]
1,861 posts
15,736 battles

auto piot do weird thing even to surface ships ... I had a game today when the auto pilot put my ship on reverse instead of turning around ; and I've had cases where it put zig zag the course despite its already on course or put the ship on wrong bearing and will not correct it ...

• Cool 1

[TF44]
433 posts
19,737 battles

they probably used the left rudder instead of 5 degree of feathering upon 15 degree of relative course. which always causes oversteering. never use CAS, it's an abomination.

744 posts
19,634 battles
16 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

You can use WASD to pilot the ship. You just can't use planes at the same time.

Also, if not already, you can turn off the Collision Avoidance System under Settings>Controls. It has a tendency to overcorrect or crash into stuff while it tries to avoid stuff you were never going to hit in the first place.

And there are apparently autopilot changes incoming for next patch. How well these will work... is something I can't say.

I think you misunderstand him. Even with terrain avoidance OFF when you go near land the rudder constantly over corrects to port and starboard to the point that sailing straight is almost impossible. It’s only happened since the last patch and it’s broken AF.

580 posts
1,637 battles

Collision/Terrain avoidance, and path/routing calculation are very old computer graphics technology and matured long before MMO games. and working perfectly on RTS games like DUNE, Warcraft, and C&C..

[O7]
2,675 posts
17,680 battles

Scary that you can leave something broken for so long.

And then even when you create a ship that pretty much exclusively requires autopilot and invest lot of resources into a rework you still leave it broken, and then even make it worse.

You can see that they don't correct the rudder until the ship is pointing in the right direction so it will always oversteer. It was never going to work. Who da **** programs these things?

[151ST]
2,377 posts
9,943 battles

PTS autopilot looks better (curvey lines n stuff) but is completely broken. First time I tried to set CV to go to far left, it just charged forwards, I was 1/2 way to the cap by the time I realised and was killed because of it (don't worry, due to CV tankiness I took down a Wooster and DD and almost got away).

Yes they are working on it, still getting there.

[MRI]
3,461 posts
14,902 battles

So I have been playing a bunch of CV games to help my clan out in Naval Battles, and not once have I not had the autopilot trying to screw me over somehow.

I have had cases where the autopilot will sail straight ahead all the way to the map border. I never experienced this problem prior to this patch.

Seriously WG how did you screw this up? Was this even playtested? :fish_palm: