Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
adampurkis

The mahan. What its like climbing a line with inconsistent torpedoes characteristics.

9 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
90 posts
694 battles

Ok, so this is what i have been on about. The gearing gets 16.6k distance on its torpedoes at 66 knots. The tier 9 gets less the teir 8 gets lower until you reach the tier 7 mahan where it all goes sour. 6.5k distance against tier 8 sometimes 9 cruisers and battleships. The result you get close enough to unveil your torpedo load while your team mate distracts them, you release smoke for a fall back position.Then. Ooop! Caught they see you a easy kill trying to get too close they shift targets, you launch they shoot. You die. They maneuver because torpedo detection range has been nerfed and the result is even if you follow the lead and get within firing distance only one torpedo will hit with you dying in the process with the smoke sceen out. This is just ridiculous.

shot-15.04.11_16.31.39-0047.jpg

shot-15.04.11_16.31.43-0372.jpg

shot-15.04.11_16.32.00-0001.jpg

Alpha Tester
90 posts
694 battles

We need single click control of the tubes and and better more consistent scaling of characteristics through the tiers. Same goes for the IJN line of DD's 

The cool down for the smoke is way too long. I really hate the mahan. Going up against high tiers yet feeling so under powered helpless and handicapped. Bring back the torpedo detection, bring back down!

Edited by adampurkis

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Historically, no. Ships always fired their torpedoes in spreads to maximize their chances of hitting. Torpedoes weren't individually fired until guided torpedoes came into play. The exception is generally scuttling, but even then, multiple torpedo hits would be required to scuttle ships.

Edited by Syanda

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Historically, no. Ships always fired their torpedoes in spreads to maximize their chances of hitting. Torpedoes weren't individually fired until guided torpedoes came into play. The exception is generally scuttling, but even then, multiple torpedo hits would be required to scuttle ships.

That is why many famous Battleship sunk not by Torpedoes from the ships but from the Planes

or at least get hit badly (Bismarck)

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Ok, so this is what i have been on about. The gearing gets 16.6k distance on its torpedoes at 66 knots. The tier 9 gets less the teir 8 gets lower until you reach the tier 7 mahan where it all goes sour. 6.5k distance against tier 8 sometimes 9 cruisers and battleships. The result you get close enough to unveil your torpedo load while your team mate distracts them, you release smoke for a fall back position.Then. Ooop! Caught they see you a easy kill trying to get too close they shift targets, you launch they shoot. You die. They maneuver because torpedo detection range has been nerfed and the result is even if you follow the lead and get within firing distance only one torpedo will hit with you dying in the process with the smoke sceen out. This is just ridiculous.

Most of USN DD torpedoes have bad range. Possible solution? Nerf torpedo range of Fletcher and Gearing :P (Just kidding :trollface:)

You should not play USN DD for the Torpedoes, you play them for the guns/killing enemy DD. The Torpedoes are there as a backup weapon really, just like IJN DD and their guns.

Alpha Tester
199 posts
226 battles

The sims is pretty terrible to play with and it is the typical USN DD characteristics until tier 10, for a BB hunter its torpedo range is so bad that I had to really watch the distance to make sure I don't get into secondary gun range. I can still use it to hunt other DD but that is about it and looking at the USN DD YouTube gameplay this is what most of what gamers do. 

Edited by goff

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Mahan needs a buff, Desperately. I just bought the Sims - God it's 10 times better than the Mahan. The gun largely outclass any DD gun at it's tier with ok-ish torpedo (5.5km - meh alright). Mahan is shockingly poor. Farragut is just adequate, but god Mahan is just like playing a 6.4km Torpdo range Farragut, but at T7.

Stock wise - easily one of the worst in the entire game :amazed:

Would love to see a Global buff to US DD torpedo range by 5~10%. That will help, if not at least the Mahan.

Edited by Alvin1020

Sign in to follow this