Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Paladinum

NTC/Research Bureau is a good concept with horrible execution

33 comments in this topic

4,493 posts
8,613 battles

As of the current version:

Pros:

- As the tech trees are the “core” content of the game, it’s good that this gets some attention. Tech tree ships are often overshadowed in favor of freemiums.

- Players with too much credit and free xp and no line to grind have something to do.

- This system adds another activity-specific “currency” to earn. This limits the number of players who can get their hands on certain content.

Cons:

- If the goal is to make players engaged with low/mid tier play again, it fails even at a conceptual level. Because the grind to T8,9,10 ships is still, objectively, the LONGEST grind for people who save their free xp, and people with free xp to spare will just free xp past the low-mid tier ships. This is pure whale bait.

- The rewards of the re-grind have NOTHING to do with tech tree ships. I have seen a lot of players suggesting cosmetic rewards for their favorite ships in certain lines. If you want the players to engage with the ships they like (but find no incentive to do so because of the ships’ tiers), you have to give them rewards that can be used by those ships, and that does not includes brand new ships.

- Selling all the ships in the line to re-grind is absolutely STUPID, even if the players get the full price back. Not selling the ships will save the players a lot of hassle by sparing them A LOT of unnecessary clicking. Unnecessary clicking is unnecessary.

- The primary rewards of this feature are two OVERPOWERED ships in their current state. Like, every CC says that Ohio and Colbert are absolutely unbalanced. And that is unacceptable. NERF THEM, and maybe the player base are willing to compromise.

- Changing the name will NOT do anything. Players will still remember NTC as what it was. EA recently “changed” the name of loot boxes, and with that, they made themselves the top-notch villain of the video game industry. I don’t want to do the same to WG.

The only suggestions I can make here are:

+ NOT having to sell owned tech tree ships. Just reset their xp progression;

+ Nerfing the reward ships to make them ALTERNATIVES of tech tree ships, instead of must-haves for many players. This is supposed to be the point of all premium ships, but never truly enforced;

+ NOT allowing players to use free xp;

+ Offering cosmetic rewards such as premium camos for T1-7 tech tree ships and permanent economic bonuses for tech tree ships;

+ Offering Free xp, Coal, Steel so I can buy more balanced ships with those resources;

In conclusion:

SAY NO TO RESEARCH BUREAU

Some side thoughts:

NTC/RB seems like a very solid long-term activity for players by tackling the core content of the game - tech tree ships, however, the execution and rewards are questionable, if not horrible, because of several badly thought out features.

Steel-gating those ships is easier than this sh*t.

What’ll come after Ohio and Colbert? Whatever they are, they’d better be properly balanced.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 11

[FORCE]
2,183 posts
11,609 battles
15 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

What’ll come after Ohio and Colbert? Whatever they are, they’d better be properly balanced.

Maybe Thunderer. I think the developers have yet to give a hint what resource this ship would cost.

4,493 posts
8,613 battles
30 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Maybe Thunderer. I think the developers have yet to give a hint what resource this ship would cost.

Steel?

[LBAS]
1,548 posts

why WG are 'dead set' on resetting the whole line anyway???

they can just made a special ship that require xp from each tier to unlock, and that's it!

e.g.

10k xp from tier 1, 15k from tier 2, 20k from tier 3 and so on...

and no, player can't just use free xp to skip it. they have to manually play it.

with this, they don't lose their hard earn ship, and go play low tier to grind for new ship as they own pace

I can still play my shimakaze for a match, and go grinding wakatake while wait shima's match to end, and go play shimakaze again.

something like that.

there's is no reason to reset whole line at all!

what are they thinking???

• Cool 5

[-NZ-]
348 posts
9,028 battles

After a quick glimpse and try the RB system on the PT server. I would love to master the ability to use scripted bots :cap_haloween::cap_haloween:

Well done WG, very well done :cap_tea:

[MRI]
3,434 posts
14,795 battles

I actually don't mind the idea behind the NTC/Research Bureau as long as it follows these 2 rules:

1) I don't have to give up my previously grinded ships.

2) The rewards do not affect game balance ie. either cosmetics or economic benefits only. No ships or buffs.

That's it.

Unfortunately WG is not able to fulfill even one of those criteria. Hell, I am even willing to compromise with the 2nd one and accept ships as long as they are balanced. But looking at WG's recent track record, I am not confident they are able to do that.

1 hour ago, PGM991 said:

why WG are 'dead set' on resetting the whole line anyway???

they can just made a special ship that require xp from each tier to unlock, and that's it! 

e.g.

10k xp from tier 1, 15k from tier 2, 20k from tier 3 and so on...

and no, player can't just use free xp to skip it. they have to manually play it.

Precisely.

In fact, why not just make it one very long mission or campaign chain. You need a certain amount of xp in a certain ship before you can unlock the next mission, so on and so forth.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
2,040 posts
10,747 battles

Why not just use normal excess Exp from T5 to T7 (Resource 1) and T8 to T10 (Resource 2) (All modules should be researched and ship should be in elite status). And use that to gain/exchange research points. (Kind of like WOT. When you have finished grinding on researching a tank, excess Exp will help accelerate crew training.) This to me is more war gameing style. And guarantee many players will accept.

Besides, WG wants players to play low tier. This is good enough for me to play low tier.

Re-grinding is a chore. I don't like to be forced to do this chore(s) just for the sake of playing low tier and give up high tier. Especially from T8 to T10.

Besides, only veterans, hard core gamers and bot users gets to have this advantage. New players, casual players and occasional players  don't get the same treatment. Kinda discriminatory and unfair.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[KOREA]
Moderator, Community Contributor, Super Tester_
763 posts
7,820 battles

Just keep RB rewards for only Cosmetic contents. then Player base will accept this idea

[-CAT-]
2,040 posts
10,747 battles
11 minutes ago, ChoiYeNa_ said:

Just keep RB rewards for only Cosmetic contents. then Player base will accept this idea

But the idea of re-grinding is still there. Maybe cosmetics now, but that will not stop them from putting in premium ships or anything worth while. It is still re-grinding.

I don't like the idea of re-grinding. It only benefits veteran players, hard core gamers and bot users.

New players, casual players and occasional players , they will just leave the game. They have nothing to loose.

NTC/RB = нет!

Edited by S0und_Theif

[KOREA]
Moderator, Community Contributor, Super Tester_
763 posts
7,820 battles
11 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

But the idea of re-grinding is still there. Maybe cosmetics now, but that will not stop them from putting in premium ships or anything worth while. It is still re-grinding.

I don't like the idea of re-grinding. It only benefits veteran players, hard core gamers and bot users.

New players, casual players and occasional players , they will just leave the game. They have nothing to loose.

NTC/RB = нет!

Yes, I'm also not fan of this whole concepts of NTC or RB whatever regrinding branches.

WeeGee, Please just discard this concept.

• Cool 3

[-CAT-]
2,040 posts
10,747 battles
15 hours ago, ChoiYeNa_ said:

Yes, I'm also not fan of this whole concepts of NTC or RB whatever regrinding branches.

WeeGee, Please just discard this concept.

Scrap NTC/RB! WG did not rework, WG rename. (Very very lazy). Different name, same species.

Adding insult to injury is players giving up Clan and Ranked battle for the sake of re-grind. нет! :Smile_izmena:

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 3

[TLS]
3,924 posts
19,935 battles
42 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

Err.. Um...

For the third time in the last 24 hours: Neither Colbert nor Ohio are cosmetic. It definitely did not stop them from putting premium ships or anything worthwhile.

4,493 posts
8,613 battles
2 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

There has been ZERO cosmetic item announced for NTC/RB. ZERO.

4,493 posts
8,613 battles

Russia signed the International Agreement for the Regulation of Whaling so they have to hunt whales in human form for their wallets.

[TDA]
Super Tester_
426 posts
10,265 battles

I wouldn't mind if they allow for me to keep my ships along with all its upgrades, and remove the Elite Status and reset the ship XP only. Then i can regrind if i feel like it. But removing the ships is absolutley a no-no for me.

I have supported the game with Premium Time, Crates (from time to time) and also Premium ships, and so has many others. But over the last 6-8 months my "support" only comes in form of Premium Time due to either changes in the game that i don't agree with or Premium Ships and other bundles are just way over priced. Allowing NTC/RB to go ahead with the removal of tech tree ships is likely to be enough to stop me from supporting the game. I love the game but imo this is a step in the wrong direction.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
2,040 posts
10,747 battles
7 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Err.. Um...

For the third time in the last 24 hours: Neither Colbert nor Ohio are cosmetic. It definitely did not stop them from putting premium ships or anything worthwhile.

4 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Russia signed the International Agreement for the Regulation of Whaling so they have to hunt whales in human form for their wallets.

After reading again my comments. I thought "oh yeah, I made a mistake". So let me correct that:

Even Notser and Flambass dislikes re-grinding.

Was too sleepy to think. And lost the will to play once they re-intrduce re-grinding.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[TLS]
3,924 posts
19,935 battles
5 hours ago, Paladinum said:

There has been ZERO cosmetic item announced for NTC/RB. ZERO.

Not exactly the way forward to win the trust of your now even more distrustful player base, isn't it?

Remember the last thing (that was unneeded in the eyes of most) they forced down the throats of the player base without properly testing it before release? January this year wasn't it? I've read how sub is poorly trying to sell in reddit that the two ships are not OP and how it is only so in the hands of unicums. Put one in my hands and I will show you how an average player can be an annoyance with them. You do not balance a ship to make it balance in the hands of good players. The three core balance issues are: can you hit it (range) reliably (accuracy), how fast can you hit it (dpm), can you dodge it (range/speed/hiding). Armour is a last ditch prevention measure. If you have DPM, accuracy starts becoming less of an issue. Colbert is OP because it has massive RoF, which while it may not do much damage, chips away health and starts fires, and can do this easily reliably from a secure place, and cannot be touched by airstrikes. Contrast it to the near OP ship, Minotaur, which is similar but cannot do much damage at its maximum range, has flatter trajectory (islands are difficult to use and fire from) and is very crunchy. For me, Colbert has to sacrifice a lot of something. 

For me, this ridiculous concept is more of forcing player to play  (populate) boring mid-tiers without addressing the main issue: Why are people not playing mid-tiers? For me, mid-tiers are just a stepping stone to playing T10s. I will unashamedly say T5-7 are boring for me to play especially with the +2 (and -2 because most sit back and don't support) currently prevalent. T8 depends on the ships but finds itself increasingly in the pointless to play. 

To those that say "you have a choice not to do it", I ask you to carefully consider: it is not the regrind but the concept of getting things rammed down our throats without the proper consultation and discussion to the merits that is the main hidden issue. If the player base keeps on letting them do things like this, it will keep happening. One day it will happen to something that you like and despite your protests, it will go through. Think carefully dear players. 

To quote: Shit is still shit even if you remove half the shit.

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Cool 3

4,493 posts
8,613 battles

I'd like to post a thread tonight about re-grinding and mid-tier encouragement.

A bit of a sneak peek:

"It's easier for WG to change those ships to Steel ships with high price, then sell Steel missions (which they did in January) a few times a year."

Faster and easier.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
2,040 posts
10,747 battles

@dejiko_nyo

Colbert = Too OP
Thunderer = Too UP
Smolensk and Slava = Buff, Nerf, Buff, Nerf (Unstable)

MM = They will introduce limit on +2 on games once you have played a certain amount of game. I can't recall if it will be introduced on 0.8.7 or 0.8.8. This was suggested by one of our forum mates i think 2 to 3 months ago. I'll need to look again and attach the link once I get home and find the forum.

[LBAS]
1,548 posts

in other word.... WG want to make NG+ (New game+) live service version.

idea is work just fine in off-line game, and the reason why I'm play NG+ (e.g. spider-man NG+) is because my character is excessively far stronger than ever before and ready for even harder difficulty.

even it's re-play a whole game again, there's still a feeling of 'progression' in it.

but in online PVP game... due to 'balance' reason... they can't do that, hell, concept is throw out of window.

I for one, won't throw away my whole line of 'hard earn' ship for a mere new single ship unless, it's excessively far stronger than ever before.

to re-grind whole line to earn a new ship that have to stay in line with other.... there's no feeling of 'progression' in there but it's a 'regression'.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
3,924 posts
19,935 battles
33 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

MM = They will introduce limit on +2 on games once you have played a certain amount of game. I can't recall if it will be introduced on 0.8.7 or 0.8.8. This was suggested by one of our forum mates i think 2 to 3 months ago. I'll need to look again and attach the link once I get home and find the forum.

So far I have not heard anything about this except "+/- 1 not feasible due to "player numbers" ". I would be the first to party to the news if that were true.

@PGM991

Can have New Game plus if that mode is limited to new game plus players only. (and wg would whine about insufficient numbers)

Edited by dejiko_nyo

4,493 posts
8,613 battles
42 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

but in online PVP game... due to 'balance' reason... they can't do that, hell, concept is throw out of window.

I for one, won't throw away my whole line of 'hard earn' ship for a mere new single ship unless, it's excessively far stronger than ever before.

to re-grind whole line to earn a new ship that have to stay in line with other.... there's no feeling of 'progression' in there but it's a 'regression'.

That's why I wrote this: :Smile_veryhappy:

15 hours ago, Paladinum said:

+ Offering Free xp, Coal, Steel so I can buy more balanced ships with those resources;

[-ISO-]
1,054 posts
6,286 battles
4 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

So far I have not heard anything about this except "+/- 1 not feasible due to "player numbers" ". I would be the first to party to the news if that were true.

I believe I read it somewhere in the 0.8.7 bulletin.

It says:

"The World of Warships matchmaker is constantly evolving. In Update 0.8.7 we are introducing strict limitations on the tiers of battles that you can be sent to. For each player, the matchmaker will take into account the number of battles they have played with ships of the same tier as theirs, and the number of ships one or two tiers higher."

"After a short calibration period that will last up to 20 battles for each battle type and ship tier, the matchmaker will ensure that the percentage of battles with ships of the specified tier does not exceed the set limits. For example, for Tier VIII ships, the limits are expected to be 40% of battles with ships two tiers higher. This means that out of 20 recent battles you play with Tier VIII ships, a maximum of eight battles will include Tier X ships."

Edited by mr_glitchy_R
  • Cool 1

[-CAT-]
2,040 posts
10,747 battles
7 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

@PGM991

Can have New Game plus if that mode is limited to new game plus players only. (and wg would whine about insufficient numbers)

Original post was made here:

Though WG made a few steps better IMO. That I can compliment.

Sign in to follow this