Sign in to follow this  
OneFitzableBoi

2019 Friedrich der Grosse assistance

10 comments in this topic

8 posts
1,740 battles

Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone could help out in telling me how to use the FDG properly. I know y'all can say that you can just Free XP off of it LOL, but I wanna work through it, especially since it we got the free week of premium (Thanks Wargaming!) 😂 And since it's been a little over a year since the latest FDG guide was talked about, I reckon we can get a little update, too. 

So yeah guys, maybe someone can shed some light on:

• How the FDG is best built in your experience (brawler, long-range, etc.)
  • Best captain skills for the build it's on.
  • Proper handling of the built ship during the stages of the game.
  • And of course, any other info you can give on the big steamy boi 😂

PS: Some battleships are just soooooooo harder-hitting! Had a N.Carolina 1/3 my hp at 16km, and a Vladivostok do the same, too. AND SET ME ON FIRE! 😧

[KAMI]
1,506 posts
12,419 battles

FDG FDG FDG

The current meta you need to invest in tank build

Get Aiming Mod 1 , Damage Control1, Damage Control2,Concealment, Main Battery reload booster

Commander: 

• PT/PM depends on you
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Superintendent/Basic Of survivability
  • CE&&Fire Prevention 

This giant ship you have to be somewhat pushing in order to be more effective ... that why people chose fxp

Of course the meta now is long range and your primary weapon happens to have bad dispersion on it

So hitting shots at range will depends on RNG

3 hours ago, OneFitzableBoi said:

Some battleships are just soooooooo harder-hitting! Had a N.Carolina 1/3 my hp at 16km

Sure you got turtleback but it doesnt stop ships like North Carolina hit hard on you if you show your side

8 posts
1,740 battles
22 hours ago, Gummilicious said:

FDG FDG FDG

The current meta you need to invest in tank build

Get Aiming Mod 1 , Damage Control1, Damage Control2,Concealment, Main Battery reload booster

Commander: 

• PT/PM depends on you
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Superintendent/Basic Of survivability
  • CE&&Fire Prevention 

Alright, thanks very much for the info! 

I just had an incredibly lucky game yesterday, actually. Out of nowhere I could citadel RN Battleships at 14-12km. 😫

22 hours ago, Gummilicious said:

This giant ship you have to be somewhat pushing in order to be more effective ... that why people chose fxp

Noob question... but what does "fxp" mean? O_O

[KAMI]
1,506 posts
12,419 battles
1 hour ago, OneFitzableBoi said:

Alright, thanks very much for the info! 

I just had an incredibly lucky game yesterday, actually. Out of nowhere I could citadel RN Battleships at 14-12km. 😫

Noob question... but what does "fxp" mean? O_O

free exp

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,596 posts
7,390 battles

The whole KMBB line is suffering currently and is pretty unpleasant to play.  Good luck.

8 posts
1,740 battles
7 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

The whole KMBB line is suffering currently and is pretty unpleasant to play.  Good luck.

To be fair though, the Bismarck really is still up there, once it's on a good captain that can handle a secondary build~ Just bow-on, steaming forward slowly, until you have the chance to broadside and just melt an opponent down as fast as you can. 😂

[K00KA]
2 posts
1,738 battles

The big German battleships are getting an accuracy improvement on their main guns with the Version 0.8.11 release which will likely make the whole line more competitive.

But, the sweet spot for FDG, as well as a Bismark with fully buffed secondaries, is still 11.5 km and closer. You will continue to need to use your screening ships to avoid detection and engagement until you are ready to unleash hell on the enemy.

Be especially careful in battles with ships like Musashi and Yamato that are in a league of their own for long range fire. Reposition as needed, using islands to block their shots works well till your CVs and long range BBs take them down.

I ground all the way through the German BB line on the NA server using the Bismark and FDG with full secondary builds. Loads of fun that still works effectively in the current meta.  If you want to go to the GK you should wait till you get a free re-spec to tankiness options as Tier 10 battles are a lot less likely to result in a brawl. The GK can certainly control captured caps, but keep in mind that movement and range means life at Tier 10. The sweet spot in terms of fun for me were and are Bismark and FDG in the German line of BBs.

In your ship build, prioritize extending the range of your secondaries (including using the secondaries range flag each time you play!) and improve the accuracy of the main guns as much as possible. Don't forget to opt for concealment. This will pay off big time.

In order of priority aiming for a 19 point Captain, I opted for EL, EM, BFT, AFT, the absolutely devastating Manual Secondaries, IFHE, and finished off with PM. 

The EL in the build allows you to punish DDs and cruisers in the early game and when your secondaries are not yet fully buffed. You should start with HE but switch to AP after the first five or so minutes of play as by then heavy cruisers and BBs can pop up. If you are left by yourself against DDs in the end game, and that happens fairly often, that ability to switch to HE quickly can be a winning move.

At the five minute mark you can expect to be close to a cap and bullying, EM allows your turrets to stay on target when in a brawl.

BFT increases the secondaries rate of fire and really helps with AA. AFT very helpfully increases how far you can reach out with both secondaries and AA. Remember that you really need to take every buff to extend the range as well as the rate of fire of those secondaries (and get the AA benefits as well.)

Here is where you bring in and learn to effectively use Manual Secondaries. This skill allows you to dominate everything within 11.5 km.

Next, go for IFHE. Some people say you don't need this. But with it your 105mm HE as well as the 150mm cannon secondaries are now melting cruisers and hurting BBs pretty badly and that is your job. Your are now causing tons of hard to repair structural damage as well as lighting your opponents on fire.

PM as the last skill point is good to keep everything firing.

Sign in to follow this