Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Smoke (firing) etiquete.

10 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,242 posts
18,518 battles

We aren't always in the perfect position. Sometimes we know we should be angled more, or behind an island or whatever but we aren't.

ie - we make mistakes or can get outmanoeuvred and that of course is part of the game. 

But there seem to be many people who don't understand smoke and how it works and doesn't work for you.

Know your smoke fire conceal distance (see image below - you can also press and hold "H" {by default} to get this information in game) - if you can't get into smoke AND BE THAT DISTANCE OR FURTHER FROM AN ENEMY IN LINE OF SIGHT, DO NOT ENTER SOMEONE ELSE'S SMOKE!

An exception might be if you are running a heavy secondary build and do not fire your main guns while concealed - or if you are under heavy fire and need cover and do not intend to fire while you get a moment's breather in cover.

You can position yourself behind smoke without entering it and remain concealed when you fire. This is trickier but can work. ie place the smoke between you and any enemy in line of sight when you fire but you still need to be further away from the spotting enemy than your smoke fire conceal distance.

It's not just you who may suffer if you go into someone else's smoke or go behind them when you aren't benefitting from the smoke cover.

Fire aimed at you may hit others in smoke who would otherwise have been invisible and "immune" to being targeted.

Torpedoes aimed at you may randomly hit players who may otherwise not be aimed at with torpedoes.

I know there's a lot to be aware of while playing this game and sometimes we just don't see everything...

… but don't deliberately drive into smoke, hoping for it to help you, when it is obvious that it can't - it may cause problems for others.

Know your smoke fire conceal distance!

(Yes you can fire into smoke hoping to hit a concealed enemy or blind fire a spread of torps into smoke hoping to jag a hit or two - that's not what I'm talking about here).

smoke_fire.jpg

• Cool 1

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,197 posts
8,131 battles

Barbara Feldon female, celebrity, smoking GIF

But Maxxxx, I like being in smoke with you.

• Funny 3

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,242 posts
18,518 battles
5 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Barbara Feldon female, celebrity, smoking GIF

But Maxxxx, I like being in smoke with you.

If you keep making me confuse you with 99 I will just end up kissing you.

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,197 posts
8,131 battles
3 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

If you keep making me confuse you with 99 I will just end up kissing you.

My goodness!

What would your husband say???

On topic; I don't think any of the 30 people who read this forum are the ones guilty of gate-crashing your smoke.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CLAY]
2,643 posts
11,975 battles

Yeah, This is a valuable PSA.

I hate it when you’re in smoke and either;

A. Some ship comes in and pushes you out of your own smoke, or

B. Some ship who doesn’t know their detection range comes in and you get hit by enemy who is aiming at them, or

C. Some ship who is taller than you decides to park in your smoke, right in front of you, and you hit them with your guns before you realise.

I’m happy to share my smokes, but 1. Smoke isn’t a cure all, and 2. While some DDs are great and drop smoke just for others to use, many DDs will use their own smoke in order to fight enemy, in which case, you have to respect that and share while not interfering.

[CLAY]
2,643 posts
11,975 battles
5 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

On topic; I don't think any of the 30 people who read this forum are the ones guilty of gate-crashing your smoke.

Of course not. We are brothers in arms. We happily share our smokes with each other.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,242 posts
18,518 battles
30 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

My goodness!

What would your husband say???

He says 99 is my celebrity pass.

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,197 posts
8,131 battles
2 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

He says 99 is my celebrity pass.

Man you're lucky, mine is Ita Buttrose.

30 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Of course not. We are brothers in arms. We happily share our smokes with each other.

No probs sharing smokes, but it's the ones who abuse the privilege.

And I put it to you, that the heathens that destroy our smoke havens are totally ignorant of said forum and thus will never know of their dastardly transgressions.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,643 posts
11,975 battles
9 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

And I put it to you, that the heathens that destroy our smoke havens are totally ignorant of said forum and thus will never know of their dastardly transgressions.

That covers about 98.5% of the "teammate" related issues we complain about here.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,242 posts
18,518 battles
10 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Man you're lucky, mine is Ita Buttrose.

You'll have to fight Jimmy Barnes for her if she comes on the market again.

Anyway, don't go breaking her heart! She needs to protect the ABC!

10 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Yes.

10 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

That covers about 98.5% of the "teammate" related issues we complain about here.

Yes.

Sign in to follow this