Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sfcgx3

How not to get concentrated fire in a German BB?

13 comments in this topic

[SAFE]
49 posts
2,190 battles

Here is the thing I struggle. I got concentrated from Yamato, HE spammers, things in smoke etc almost every time I’m in a Bismarck or FDG. Got killed quickly and only doing 20-30k damage.

the point of German BB is to push and get in close. But seems in the current game environment this is very difficult to achieve.

maybe I should stay furthest away from the battle in the first 10 min spamming HE and then charge? The range and accuracy of the gun makes this strategy questionable.

also wondering how Soviet BB captains manage this - seems a quite popular tech tree these days

2,274 posts
6,176 battles

As a well-known German ship enthusiast in the forum...

How to do that? Don't play them.

If you still want to play them, add as much main gun range as you can.

1 hour ago, sfcgx3 said:

maybe I should stay furthest away from the battle in the first 10 min spamming HE and then charge?

You probably should do that... REALLY CONSIDERATELY.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

[TDA]
Super Tester
4,592 posts
5,205 battles

As paladinum said, there are only really 2 ways to play them.   Set up for a tank/secondary build or play a different nation.   Thye just aren't suited to ranged fight but the meta is not about getting close in and fighting dirty any more (although with the lack of CV ATM it may return).

[CRUX]
12 posts
4,745 battles

yeah, German BB's are in a hard place atm.

As Palidum said, hiding at the back in a (supposedly)  tanky BB isnt going to win you any friends, and  I certainly dont encourage it either.  

I have in fact stopped grinding the German line and swapped to the new Russian line, but im over really pushing anything in the game atm, I log in and play a few co op or scenarios to get the bonus Xp and leave. 

For me this is another very good example of the many problems in the game that are getting worse. Sure you can be competitive in a German BB in some games, but generally the meta is against you and you need to work around limitations that just dont fit. The new Russian line (only at T5 so far) seems  way better somehow, to the point in co op I can confidently tank and beat bots when out tiered and out numbered in a way I have no hope of doing in anything German.

But then I also have 5-6 CV's sitting in port rusting probably shouldn't even get started on that subject.

Ive also taken a long hiatus from PVP in general, too  toxic, too many problems and I wasn't enjoying it. I hope to be back, but im starting to doubt it.

Good luck.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
172 posts
6,435 battles

hmmm, seeing people questioning German BB position in current meta of HE spammers and big gun can pen the crap out of you.

I have this replay when I do smart move : DONT PUSH INTO ENEMY BLINDLY

And somehow my 108k dmg match turn me into top of scoreboard for survive that long.

Again, the current Meta mean if you push too soon, the heal become useless and cant subtain you for long. German ships now like opportunities ( just like German in WW2 )

:cap_like:

20190629_131610_PGSB108-Bismarck_47_Sleeping_Giant.wowsreplay

[KAMI]
893 posts
9,342 battles
5 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

also wondering how Soviet BB captains manage this

The soviet BB gun aint that bad honestly, it does the job even in range.

Is 3x3 AB-X  placement  rather the german 4x2 AB-XY turret placement

Back to German BB:

They are hard to use in current meta

For now, CV got nerfed , a lesser factor that can beat the crap out of you

Edited by Gummilicious
  • Cool 1

[KCSEA]
127 posts
6,042 battles
5 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

the point of German BB is to push and get in close.

This is why you always get focused. You conditioned your mind that "I'm playing German BB, therefore I should rush into enemies immediately", and then whine when you get focus-fired and die. 

[PAMAN]
165 posts
5,875 battles

Things that I learned after playing Bismarck against high tier ships are I'm not pushing earlier on match, I'm doing it at latter half. At the earlier moment of the match, just keep for oportunities for overextended enemies. Or keep firing from rear line to annoy enemy ships that targeting our frontline DD or CA/CL.

Then I pushed when the red team exhausted enough or if my team are certainly loosing the battle for damaging red ships as much as I can (a bit like banzai charge thing).

Edited by Sharr_Dextera

[SAFE]
49 posts
2,190 battles
41 minutes ago, Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus said:

This is why you always get focused. You conditioned your mind that "I'm playing German BB, therefore I should rush into enemies immediately", and then whine when you get focus-fired and die. 

But isn’t German BB designed to play that way? Then I think WG just need to make such play style much more enjoyable than current. 

If i am in a different mind I’d play for example French.

can we give German BB a reason to exist.

[TLS]
1,600 posts
17,189 battles
6 hours ago, Paladinum said:

How to do that? Don't play them.

My exact answer which I was going to post.

The problem with tanky builds is very few people are going to take advantage of your tanking and push with you.

12 minutes ago, sfcgx3 said:

But isn’t German BB designed to play that way? Then I think WG just need to make such play style much more enjoyable than current. 

Yes, but as I mentioned, your team doesn't take advantage of it and your sacrifice becomes useless. To be frank (hahaha bad french joke), the german line has been powercrept badly. In the days of 3 lines, the thing that had german bbs going was their ability to not be citadel'ed and their secondaries barrage. Their dispersion however was a major weakness. Fast forward to today, Frankly has now taken the secondaries roles, Soviets tanking better. So where does it leave KMS BBs and their near useless hydro? (yes, because you do not need it given the sniping meta.) I would throw hydro out and slap on speedboost to improve things if it were my decision.

Oh yes, let's not talk about concealment. How do you plan to use its main advantage if you can't get into secondaries range? My 2cents to improve germans: One or more of the following:
* Improve the "legendary" german dispersion
* Improve secondaries, either buff range or damage/penetration
* Concealment. Sniping ships should have the worst concealment out there. Instead, it is the opposite. *cough*palashatedconqueror*cough* I don't know wtf the balance team are doing.
* Improve speed/manuvering
* Get some more useful consumables

What we need now in the game is to reduce the effectiveness of long range sniping combat to shake up the meta.

Edited by dejiko_nyo

[REPOI]
5,134 posts
21,072 battles

german BBs to get to CQC needs to meet 2 very specific conditions to get close enough to do damage

the enemy team need to have a mentally impared CV or no CV

and you get a good map

the only way to push close with a german BB now is to abuse islands and sneak up, period

[SH0T]
1,369 posts
8,343 battles

1. You need to wait opportunity to go CQC, in most match it prob never appear lol

2. Use Terrain in approach

3. pray your match have cyclone (easiest one lel) :Smile_trollface:

Edited by humusz

[SMOKE]
694 posts
10,547 battles

while I do agree with all the post here, and here's unfortunately is the problem .. so what can those ships do , who of such cannot effectively deal any damage at this mid to long range, practically all DD, CL, plenty of CA, and even quite a number of BB ... oh sure not to go push , that means they are all sitting, sailing and doing nothing ... so the answer is that ... its an answer but probably not the answer

Sign in to follow this