You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Collaboration? You want collaboration?

37 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
3,289 posts
15,955 battles

Screaming young girls with ludicrous breast sizes and come hither eyes?

Barely hidden sexual manipulation to try to lure males to play a game about blowing up warships?

This is what "collaboration" means in World of Warships.

I have a better option. I have a better suggestion.

See below.

Collaborate THIS!

4,221 posts
8,070 battles

Colab with Pirates of the Caribbean so I can have Age of Sails ships

Ya want yer historical boats? THIS is historical!

Edited by Paladinum

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
3,289 posts
15,955 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

Colab with Pirates of the Caribbean so I can have Age of Sails ships 

HEY!

Stop derailing my thread!

Oh wait, yeah, all those other threads I derailed.

Right you are, gov.

Carry on.

1,127 posts
4,752 battles

I understand your preferrence towards Naval history and your dissatisfaction. And I agree that a collaboration with a hard-core war movie, if ever possible, would be beneficial towards the game. This is not entirely impossible, I remember that the Dunkirk event years ago itself has some connections with that film of the same name that year.

However, at least in my home country China, the whole "hard-core" military related business, regardless of historical or modern, is a tiny, isolated and shrinking sector of interest, in printed magazines, internet discussion forums and many other fields. This does not mean military-related themes are not popular, however, most of the readers are not interested in the deep and hard-core aspects of it (I admit that in many fields I belong to this group of people indeed). As an example, they may know about the Battle of Jutland or the sortie of German battleship Bismarck for example, however they would simply admire the sheer scale of that clash of dreadnoughts or the beauty of Bismarck's Atlantic bow plus the feat of detonating HMS Hood's magazines and devstriking her. Many more deeper aspects lie beneath the surface of History however: the strategic situation that leads to Jutland, why the British lost three battlecruisers during the battle, the battle's lasting influences on warship engineering, how Bismarck comes into existence through twists and turns and the various negative influences of the Versailles strangulation

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
3,289 posts
15,955 battles
4 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Two words.

”Regional demographics”.

Soooo... what you are saying is...

People from nations who aren't allied in a close friendship with the greatest military power of the last 100 years would rather look at very young girls with unnaturally large breasts than think about just how powerful the United States is?

Alpha Tester
2,117 posts
7,703 battles

I don't think it's a coincidence that the youth of a certain country are being spoon fed idealized notions of the navy, while at the same that country is rapidly becoming a major naval force in the ASEAN area.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
3,289 posts
15,955 battles
26 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I understand your preferrence towards Naval history and your dissatisfaction. And I agree that a collaboration with a hard-core war movie, if ever possible, would be beneficial towards the game. This is not entirely impossible, I remember that the Dunkirk event years ago itself has some connections with that film of the same name that year.

However, at least in my home country China, the whole "hard-core" military related business, regardless of historical or modern, is a tiny, isolated and shrinking sector of interest, in printed magazines, internet discussion forums and many other fields. This does not mean military-related themes are not popular, however, most of the readers are not interested in the deep and hard-core aspects of it (I admit that in many fields I belong to this group of people indeed). As an example, they may know about the Battle of Jutland or the sortie of German battleship Bismarck for example, however they would simply admire the sheer scale of that clash of dreadnoughts or the beauty of Bismarck's Atlantic bow plus the feat of detonating HMS Hood's magazines and devstriking her. Many more deeper aspects lie beneath the surface of History however: the strategic situation that leads to Jutland, why the British lost three battlecruisers during the battle, the battle's lasting influences on warship engineering, how Bismarck comes into existence through twists and turns and the various negative influences of the Versailles strangulation

Well, err, kind of.

As I have said before, I'm not a military historian, I'm not a naval buff and before playing this game I could not have told you the history of ships like Graf Spee, Indianapolis or Arizona (to name but a few). I do enjoy playing with people who know more about the actual history and I enjoy hearing what they have to say on the matter. I'm not arguing for any kind of accurate historical representation but I do enjoy it when it occurs.

To me it's more about theme. The theme is early 20th century naval warfare. The more things that are in that theme, the happier I am.

A Midway Event would simply be in theme.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
3,289 posts
15,955 battles
5 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the youth of a certain country are being spoon fed idealized notions of the navy, while at the same that country is rapidly becoming a major naval force in the ASEAN area.

Russians feeding Chinese romantic and heroic ideas about military power in order to be a foil against the United States?

But that would be a...

...conspiracy.

I'm telling Trump.

Wait, he is already Putin's buddy.

I'm telling... uhm...

???

Superman?

Captain America?

Hang on a sec... why do I think THOSE "superheroes" are valid philosophical vessels for my concerns!?

I may have been fed some idealistic and romantic ideas about my OWN nation's culture and it's role and porpoise!

What if I'M wrong and my cultural and historically "opposed" cultures are right!?

Are we the bad guys?

I am so confused.

I suggest all nations immediately disarm and have a good long chat about stuff.

• Funny 1

1,127 posts
4,752 battles

Due to some technical error, my reply was posted before I completed it and I cannot edit the original post.

...Many more deeper aspects lie beneath the surface of History however: the strategic situation that leads to Jutland, why the British lost three battlecruisers during the battle, the battle's lasting influences on warship engineering, how Bismarck comes into existence through twists and turns and the various negative influences of the Versailles' strangulation of German capital ship designing from 1918 (for example, someone I know about has done a theoretical study and found out that if the Bismarck's main batteries were changed into the 406-mm Mark I s in twin mounts of the Colorado-class, not only her firepower got a boast, the tonnage used on them decreased in contrast in the end). However, such aspects are beyond the interest of most of the regular readers.

And how you criticize the existed collaboration events of the game...hmmm. Even I agree with you somewhat about the aesthetic choices of some certain Anime girls, according to what I have learnt about in my home country's related discussions, in contrast to the case of World of Tanks, many players come to this game due to the influences of certain popular culture products (namely, the anthropomorphism of historical warships, regardless of the title of the work they belong to) besides the attraction of historical naval battles and hard-core works of the same topic. And in contrast to the isolation of hard-core military enthusiasm, Anime community is much more broad and, lively, not to say that such products would promote some sort of, even rather shallow interest in military history. It is natural to attract potential players from such communities rather than being hard-core. Not to say that the game itself is not that hard-core in which a destroyer can vanish from your eyes on the open, clear sea or sailing bow-on towards the enemy is the best position to fight an enemy warship.

I do agree that the game could emphasize more on naval history though as commented by a number of users in both Asia and NA forums. However, according to some comments, Wargaming have to attract more players and potential premium consumers from the populance, more than simply naval military enthusiasts. So we have the Anime collaborations and this ongoing Post-Apocalypse themed summer event (while I remember that someone in NA forum has called it "childish" and claim that such events are only suitable for 8-year-old children playing arcade games).

And...

9 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Well, err, kind of.

As I have said before, I'm not a military historian, I'm not a naval buff and before playing this game I could not have told you the history of ships like Graf Spee, Indianapolis or Arizona (to name but a few). I do enjoy playing with people who know more about the actual history and I enjoy hearing what they have to say on the matter. I'm not arguing for any kind of accurate historical representation but I do enjoy it when it occurs.

To me it's more about theme. The theme is early 20th century naval warfare. The more things that are in that theme, the happier I am.

A Midway Event would simply be in theme.

I agree with you. Even if I do enjoy a certain Chinese work of personalization warships as girls, I still consider this game as a game related to historical naval warfare during the age of dreadnoughts before the arrival of missiles. And I will certainly welcome additions concerning Early 20th Naval Warfare to the game. I am fully aware that many aspects of the game have little relation to real-life naval operations (sinking HMS Hood with Emile Bertin's HE spam for example), but I would also be very glad if more history-related stuff are added towards the game as they are perfectly the at least original theme of this game.

Cheers!

Besides: World of Warships is a Global MMO and not exclusively presented towards one certain country, not to say originally there was an independently-ran Chinese server managed by a Chinese internet company until last year.

4,221 posts
8,070 battles

But historical colabs wouldn't bring completely abhorrent and out-of-place camos and captains!!! Not in World of Warships, a HiStoRicAL NavAL siMuLaTOr!!!

1,127 posts
4,752 battles
7 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

But historical colabs wouldn't bring completely abhorrent and out-of-place camos and captains!!! Not in World of Warships, a HiStoRicAL NavAL siMuLaTOr!!!

Wargaming employees themselves have once joked about that in their Official comic strips...

1-08.thumb.jpg.a529ef8b6c5a87ea39872f78d2882ebc.jpg

4,221 posts
8,070 battles
17 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Wargaming employees themselves have once joked about that in their Official comic strips...

I hate the fact that the "hide special ships" mechanic just flatly demounts the camo (more like "skin"), not replacing the camo with a Type 1/2/3 one . I want the camo's bonuses without my ship looking really out of place.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 2

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
3,289 posts
15,955 battles

Lol! 

Some of the myriad thoughts and comments from people in this thread!

We really are a diverse bunch of people!

😀

• Funny 1

1,127 posts
4,752 battles
Just now, Paladinum said:

I hate the fact that the "hide special ships" mechanic also demount the camo, not replacing the camo with a Type 1/2/3 one . I want the camo's bonuses without my ship looking really out of place.

I agree with you. Yes, out of place.

I discovered the fact twice. The first time happened when my Bionic camo (I earned for free during April) was dismounted when I chose to hide Spaceships. Then I found that the Hood captain given through Ocean Current quest was hidden as well as long as I turned the anime filter off. Her voice actress did a splendid job though, after I placed her on my King George V, the temporary terminus of my venture in British battleships as I have been hearing about that Monarch is underperforming currently.

[CLAY]
2,293 posts
11,067 battles

I’d be happy if they occasionally collaborated with something that wasn’t so anime focused. Something that wasn’t based on young girls with large breasts, but still had the myriad of ships and characters. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the stuff they do now. But it would be nice to have collars with some western franchises based on historical warships. At least we would have captains talking in a language I understand.

They could do a collab with that western cartoon that... um...

Damnit! Why is it only anime that makes cool stuff like that? Why don’t they make western cartoons like that? It’s like the western world is allergic to anything remotely based on historic warfare.

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
333 posts
4,913 battles

I think a little bit of detraction from everything being historical theme keeps it more lighthearted.

I came for warships, and stayed because the gameplay seemed fun. Gameplay is considered priority to me, so I personally enjoy things like the torpbeat modes.

But I do enjoy watching other people discuss history, although I rarely bother looking it up myself. It adds more flavour and sometimes I just feel like learning random irrelevant stuff, while putting off actual relevant stuff.

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,442 posts
6,677 battles
1 hour ago, Max_Battle said:

Soooo... what you are saying is...

People from nations who aren't allied in a close friendship with the greatest military power of the last 100 years would rather look at very young girls with unnaturally large breasts than think about just how powerful the United States is?

I think I said that in 2 words.

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
1,815 posts
1 hour ago, Max_Battle said:

Russians feeding Chinese romantic and heroic ideas about military power in order to be a foil against the United States?

But that would be a...

...conspiracy.

I'm telling Trump.

I'm telling... uhm...

???

Superman?

Captain America?

Hang on a sec... why do I think THOSE "superheroes" are valid philosophical vessels for my concerns!?

I may have been fed some idealistic and romantic ideas about my OWN nation's culture and it's role and porpoise!

What if I'M wrong and my cultural and historically "opposed" cultures are right!?

Are we the bad guys?

I am so confused.

I think a new Sharkbait clone has appeared.......

tenor.gif?itemid=11616636

[CLAY]
2,293 posts
11,067 battles
2 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

But that would be a...

...conspiracy.

I'm telling Trump.

I'm telling... uhm...

???

Superman?

Captain America?

Are we the bad guys?

I am so confused.

Call Thor.

There are not really any notable Australian Superheroes.

But Thor is played by Australian Chris Hemsworth, so, close enough.

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester
2,117 posts
7,703 battles
2 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

But that would be a...

...conspiracy.

I'm telling Trump.

I'm telling... uhm...

???

Superman?

Captain America?

Are we the bad guys?

I am so confused.

SShhhh :cap_viking:

#LooseLips sink ships. People always be talking about people smh.

The Cone of Silence

• Funny 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
3,289 posts
15,955 battles
3 hours ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

I think a new Sharkbait clone has appeared.......

tenor.gif?itemid=11616636

I'm not worthy.