You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sfcgx3

Why CV population seems to have cooled down?

64 comments in this topic

[SAFE]
23 posts
1,821 battles

Quite often just 1-2 CVs in tier 8+ queue with 50+ BBs.

still worth investing in AA?

[REPOI]
5,066 posts
20,550 battles
2 minutes ago, sfcgx3 said:

Quite often just 1-2 CVs in tier 8+ queue with 50+ BBs.

still worth investing in AA?

they got nerfed into the ground, why would they play CVs now?

and no you dont need to invest in AA that much anymore, a decent AA ship only needs 1 AA skill+DFAA to squad wipe

Edited by drakon233
  • Cool 3

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,285 posts
12,464 battles

I'll take another free respec thnx.

• Cool 3

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
824 posts
8,112 battles

They completely broke CV's in the last patch, so the population is dropping through the floor.  When you do get a CV match, then they don't have much of an effect anyway.

• Cool 2

[TLS]
1,351 posts
16,879 battles
43 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

they got nerfed into the ground, why would they play CVs now?

Correct. Combine it with the expected lost of interest as the shine wears off, this was bound to happen.

And congratulations wg. You have shot yourself in the foot. "Encourage CV play by making it 'easier'." "Reduce the skill disparity between players." Welp, we are back (nearly) to the pre0.8 situation wiith a whole posteriorload worth of effort gone down the proverbial conduit for waste material (aka drain). Your pingpong approach to balance as well as the sequential nerfs without considering carefully the synergetic effect of the nerfs together is not helping at all.

Addendum because it just cameout as I finished typing: Yes

9 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

They completely broke CV's in the last patch, so the population is dropping through the floor.  When you do get a CV match, then they don't have much of an effect anyway.

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Cool 6

[CLAY]
1,196 posts
8,104 battles
36 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

I'll take another free respec thnx.

I didn’t invest much in AA to begin with. Never felt it made much difference, by the time you needed AA, it was near the end of the match and your AA had been damaged anyway.

That and I never felt that AA was such an important skill to include in the first 10 points anyway.

7 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

I’m sure they still have the ability to be annoying, and spot you for the rest of the enemy.

Well, they made CV’s easier to play, but still haven’t solved the balance issues since CVs were introduced.

[SMOKE]
657 posts
10,057 battles

They do not break CV with the patch but they do made it so CV can no longer just blind charge in and farm like nothing in between ; positioning and selecting proper target now is required just as surface ships are ... But no its not broke and its still op 1 vs1 or even 1 vs 2 or 3 unless facing dedicated AA ships but no its no longer mostly free ride ; the reeling back is just that - no longer free farming all the time

• Cool 2

[TLS]
1,351 posts
16,879 battles
18 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I didn’t invest much in AA to begin with. Never felt it made much difference, by the time you needed AA, it was near the end of the match and your AA had been damaged anyway.

That and I never felt that AA was such an important skill to include in the first 10 points anyway.

Well, someone who was playing yesterday if I got his gist properly, mentioned that DM/Mino can erase a flight from his Audacious on the first run getting in and out of the AA bubble. With the effort put into one run, it basically puts off the player and what is going to happen is whatever left of cv is going to bully the easiest targets even more (congratulations dds) and are going to be even more selfish.

I tried yesterday's aegis (we know bots don't AA spec) with a lone ryujo round and: 1) where is that massive cv queue that was persistent? 2) Plane loss seems higher. Coupled with poor cv economics, I am dissuaded from playing CV.

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Cool 2

[FORCE]
155 posts
7,749 battles

Played a game in Implacable & saw a North Carolina wiped out my squadron before I could land a shot. Then I tested North Carolina in 2 games (with full AA build & with standard build). I figured out with full AA build, Hakuryu could barely "nuke" me ( I took about 8k dmg per drop). And without AA build, North Carolina is basically a no-fly zone for T8 CVs.

[REPOI]
453 posts
9,669 battles

6 months of CV Reeeeework. WG master balance solution plan is make CV population back to 0.01% of player base. sMaRt

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,285 posts
12,464 battles

Have the CVs reached their final form?

[MRI]
1,866 posts
10,812 battles
3 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I’m sure they still have the ability to be annoying, and spot you for the rest of the enemy.

Unfortunately being annoying does not win games, nor does it help pay the bills.

Edited by Thyaliad

[NLG]
28 posts
2,566 battles

Speaking of free Captain respec...

I thought we supposed to get a 2nd free respec? I didn't seem to have noticed it.

[SAFE]
23 posts
1,821 battles

As a T8 CV player myself I want to add the gap btw T10 and T8 is huge and I have plenty of other things to grind. There is not sufficient steam keeps you going.

the free respect did happen twice.

[TLS]
1,351 posts
16,879 battles
43 minutes ago, sunlo2013 said:

6 months of CV Reeeeework. WG master balance solution plan is make CV population back to 0.01% of player base. sMaRt

And you know what? It could have been achieved without putting any effort and would have been more cost effective by leaving things as they were and just selling premium cvs.

29 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Unfortunately being annoying does not win games, nor does it pay help pay the bills.

Just go bully whatever dds are left and make dd life even more miserable. <sarcasm> I'm sure people didn't realise that this would happen if you nerf cvs to the ground </sarcasm> 

What we have here now is people from one side of the equation pushing their agenda through without carefully going through the effect cascade that it will induce.

[TLS]
120 posts
6,123 battles

I have been playing Auda yesterday and the experience is so lackluster compare to before the patch.

Which to be honest I cant understand people like this, making CV completely useless against any strike target with decent AA. The flak now is even more like a joke ( a decoration from WG on CV players screen to be exact ) nice to look at It but when your planes taking dmg and drop then yah. "fun and engaging" for CV players.

Before this patch, CV is meant to force any campers out there position and be open water but this ????!!!!!! This even more encouraging camping even more because CV cant touch you anymore. The moment WG do this AA system, my buffed SE planes still drop out the sky because of continuous flak and when the moment CV drop the strike, the flak still continue dmg even CV F key still hurt the planes. 

Example is my DM yesterday vs Harku DBs which he have entire squads and I don't even spec AA, just BFT for gun reload and DFAA and bam, Harku planes like flies drop.

Now thinking about that, WG make a joke out of CV players again.

:cap_old::cap_old:

[SMOKE]
657 posts
10,057 battles

On the other side of it , I play quite a number of game in my T3, 4, and all the way up to T9 DD and the situation is still pretty much the same for DD , yes WG buff or rather mod the damage done by continuous AA , but bare specific AA build American DD, all others simply still do not had the AA to deal with planes and still there is waves and waves of aerial attack and since now BB and Cruiser are harder target the CV will even more likely to target DD ( and CL ) and of course the perma-spotting still there and of course being so force DD to sit back inside group of cruiser and BB and yet again force them to sit at range that they are practically out ranged both guns and torpedoes .. so the change really do not mitigate the situation ..

I am all for the changes , it reflect well on AA playing out, it should not happen that squadron can go in blind , each and every one guns blazing and yet in the end no planes down ; on the other hand though the change do not deal with real issue in why AA do not work and how its played out ( perma spotting , area denial ) a good CV player can still contribute much to the game even with this change it just do not and should not go blind charge into farming damage . CAP is still dysfunctional at best , the perma-spotting and just by placing planes at certain position they are still basically excluding most light force from playing their part and of course they are even more likely now to hunt the light force now. So in the end yes the change do work to made AA somehow work, but its only for the more decently equipped Cruisers and BB and in turn this further harm the other surface ships and at the same time the change do not deal with the other CV induced interplay that had just basically ruin the game play and game flow ... the change only deal with complain from the AA cruiser / BB population complain about their AA not downing planes ; and yet it still does not give the light force for real AA ( due to the illogical zoning and all the mechanism , say slingshot drop ) and all surface ships still got spotted not even a minute into the game and the list can be long and drawn out ... 

On a positive note I do think the change is logical, as the CV no longer can deny enemy by simply placing planes on certain location , unless that enemy happen to be singled out solo. It should be so that grouped up surface ships can deal continuous AA kill if the plane choose to remain in that AA bubble ; people complain about AA not working ( and its still not working for a large portion of surface ship population though ) and now they made it actually working ( for the decently equipped surface ships, not just AA spec ships ) people complain about it working .. I kind of not getting to understand the logic.

( update ) I got to talk with several player I know of who play CV actively and surprisingly their comment was quite different from what's on this thread , they do comment they see it as harder to go out and do the massive damage as before but they also say that they do not see that as anything negative ... their logic being CV had been ( with the rework ) massively made OP by virtue of no proper counter play on surface ships part and what's being changed is giving that counter play back, part of it to part of the ships ( though only to certain BB, Cruisers ). They did say they still play pretty much the same and they can still deal decent damage when they play it proper .. and that the move force CV player to be more situational aware of who they are up against. They also comment its still pretty much the same against DD, and CL, their AA flatly did not work, and did not work even with a group of them together and they still do not even with this change 

Actually now I had an urge to re stat playing CV , it seems more a skill challenged game play now

Edited by Mechfori

[NAU]
180 posts
5,383 battles

The Merry Go round effect. To increase sales you have to provide an appealing product that is different to the one you have now. Then keep doing it. Now CV is on the low down everyone will start buying ships again.

[SMOKE]
657 posts
10,057 battles
40 minutes ago, AxEyBoI said:

The Merry Go round effect. To increase sales you have to provide an appealing product that is different to the one you have now. Then keep doing it. Now CV is on the low down everyone will start buying ships again.

There is nothing wrong about making a ship appealing , its everything wrong to made it appealing by making others obsolete whether its CV , BB, CA, or DD and we all know what

Edited by Mechfori

[PATEN]
Video Contributor, Clantest Coordinator
2,438 posts
11,558 battles

more BBs?

let's play Shimakaze and break my damage record

[NAU]
180 posts
5,383 battles
1 hour ago, Mechfori said:

There is nothing wrong about making a ship appealing , its everything wrong to made it appealing by making others obsolete whether its CV , BB, CA, or DD and we all know what

Its business like in the real world. You cant give too much only a little bit small improvements so you have to nerf some to make it feel like your getting a major improvement.

[SH0T]
1,305 posts
8,148 battles

The AA fixes goes to proper direction. There should be visible attrition rate in AA-Aircraft interaction. Since AA now inflict assured Damage/Loss - it makes the Attrition rate predictable therefore easier to balance

the balance now should revolve around sustainability rate of Aircraft regeneration versus losses incur during sortie

say, for example.

1 sortie against De Moines would incur avrg 5 losses from squadron  - while rate of aircraft recover rate was 1 per sortie. - that was clearly not sustainable

To balance parity betwen those 2 ships, Aircraft Recover rate represent global Attrition rate (CV vs opposing Team), while Avrg Kill by surface ship served as local balancer betwen 2 side (CV vs particular ship)

Previus version of AA focus to much on Flak which was "wild" random element. which made it hard to balance. now WG implement Assured Attrition Rate - it should easier for them to Balance

[SMOKE]
657 posts
10,057 battles

On the balance part, taking AA ship as reference is not the best idea, one need to balance that average ship so they can also play out with AA , not just only top tier like the DM ; this new AA still at time too much RNG , I was in my Kitakaze and up against a Saipan and yet after weathering 8 waves of attack spread through 3 squadron with all the time all my guns blazing and in the end 2 planes down and Kitakaze suppose to be an AA spec DD .. figure this , what I think is the change simply made the AA grossly in balance biased too much towards the AA spec ships and those with massive amount of AA but still do not do much for those ships that are not typically AA ( but also not typically poor AA )

Edited by Mechfori

[FISH]
341 posts
27,110 battles

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Be grateful that the CV population has reduced. CVs were ruining the game for all non CV players for the last few months.

• Cool 1

[O7]
2,452 posts
15,746 battles
10 hours ago, AxEyBoI said:

Its business like in the real world. You cant give too much only a little bit small improvements so you have to nerf some to make it feel like your getting a major improvement.

Not so sure about that. The underlying product here isn't superseded, only updates to the core game. Point being they are not trying to attract old players to buy the latest product, or perhaps they are but shouldn't be. What I think they should be doing is keeping loyalty high so players stay and keep spending. Instead they alienate the old players and lose loyalty. They cater for new players who don't understand the game. As soon as those new players learn the game they get annoyed with WG BS. That's my guess anyways.