Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Project45_Opytny

How should I spend my tokens and coupon?

8 comments in this topic

1,362 posts
5,741 battles

As Patch 0.8.5. is already on the way and will drop soon on possibly 27th, it is time to resolve to quickly draft a plan of how to spend all the temporary resources that would expire in a couple of days.

Currently I have 1404 tokens from Victory Event Pt.1 (96 tokens short to exchange Lazo; I was a bit busy IRL during the first part of the event),  383 tokens from Victory Event Pt.2 (and have already exchanged a Murmansk for 200 tokens as I somewhat miscalculated my ability to participate in the event and earn tokens, also currently does not want to try Soviet battleships beyond Sinop due to a lack of high-tier BB gaming experiences combined with the high skill floor for Soviet BBs, while would like to observe how Admiral Kuznetsov fares in-game), 82110 coal with an exchange coupon that will expire tomorrow and 4500 doubloons as a result of a recent purchase of Premium Service.

I have kept a fully-equiped and upgraded Shchors in port and is familiar with how she handles. I do not oppose her long-range HE spamming gameplay style and have made several good damage-farming games with her, however I am worried about the rumored IFHE changes (that would significantly influence all high-tier CLs) since April. I am mainly a cruiser main since I joined the game one year ago in Chinese Server then with regular forays into battleships, however I would not try destroyers for the time being. I have been stockpiling coal for Jean Bart following suggestions I met here and there, however it would be a waste to do nothing and let the coupon expire. I have no special perferences for nor any bias against the nationality of the ships in-game. How to use the tokens for the Pt.2 of Victory can be discussed during the entire Patch 0.8.5 and may be used to purchase some containers to gamble for a Soviet premium later.

Besides a necessary expansion of port slots (during the sales event), it would take me 2000 doubloons for 2 Soviet Era containers to grab Lazo and a few spare tokens to be converted into credits, and no matter how she would be she is a Premium and would be helpful in training Soviet CL captains and farming for credits in Narai. Also I haven't decided whether to use the Armory coupon on Yubari or Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya as I haven't tried any of the two yet.

So here are the questions. First, should I exchange Lazo for 2000 doubloons or let is go and use the credits to temporarily mitigate my credit shortage (however this can be solved by continue farming in Operations or even directly purchase credit bundles for cash these days)? Second, which is the better choice, Yubari, Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya or Aigle for a newbie player who is still climbing up the tech trees?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions of value from the community.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
1,114 posts
7,577 battles

Yubari is not new player friendly, takes a lot to get the hand of (have her on NA server)

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya is a lot more forgiving for a new player

Aigle is good but again DD's in general are harder to play

So for a new player I would recommend Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya

But, if you are want a trainer for one of those 3 nations.......

1,362 posts
5,741 battles
2 minutes ago, BigWaveSurfer said:

Yubari is not new player friendly, takes a lot to get the hand of (have her on NA server)

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya is a lot more forgiving for a new player

Aigle is good but again DD's in general are harder to play

So for a new player I would recommend Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya

But, if you are want a trainer for one of those 3 nations.......

Thanks for your reply. 

Honestly speaking, I have about one year of gaming experience in this game in Chinese Server then, and migrated to Asia Server in March due to the ongoing conflict between Wargaming and Kongzhong.

Another problem is that neither Japanese tree or Soviet battleships is in urgent need of a trainer now...I would like to at least skip Mogami (vastly insufficent range, at least one can have a range build with Ibuki) and temporarily stop my venture in Soviet battleships at Sinop (and a couple of games in Narai with Captain-training camos would solve the retraining problem).

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

[ELDER]
16 posts
13,289 battles

Hi,dear

I have finished reading your words . i really understand you comfusion very well . I noticed that you joined the game in Chinese Service.Maybe you are a chinese player. If you really are , I am very happy to meet my countrymen in this game. XD:cap_hmm:

Return to the topic, i am not sure whether you can earn Lazo tokens now. As far as i know ,you can only get the Pt. 2 special tokens for legendary captain Kuznetsov by buying gift boxes in wg store.  If you have kept a fully-equiped and upgraded Shchors in port,there is no need to exchange Lazo。Because they too similar.In order to keep the Lazo's characteristics,Lazo's reloading and flexibility are worse than Shchors.  But the most important thing is that Kuzentsov is worth exchanging.

If you are going to try high -tire Soviet battleships one day,Kuznettsov is necessary.His special skills is tailor-made for Soviet battleships.So why not give up Lazo and try to exchange Kunzenttsov?Though you are  mainly a cruiser main ,Kuznettsov can still provide great help for your ship.If you miss the activity,you may wait a long time to exchange Kunzenttsov again which will cost you a lot of coal source.

For  the second question.  Yubari need you have high-tier Japanese CA gaming experiences or you won't get good experiences during the game.Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya is a very good choice if you decide to play Soviet battleships line.He can help you understand how to fight as a Soviet BB and  use your limited "damage control".Agile as a French dd,I don't recommend it to you.You have said that you  you would not try destroyers for the time being.What's more,new French dd technology tree will update under 0.8.5 .Agile is a little different from the new French dd.

All  the words above only represents my personal point of view .Hope they can help you.:fish_aqua:

• Cool 1

1,362 posts
5,741 battles
32 minutes ago, _Evangeline said:

Hi,dear

I have finished reading your words . i really understand you comfusion very well . I noticed that you joined the game in Chinese Service.Maybe you are a chinese player. If you really are , I am very happy to meet my countrymen in this game. XD:cap_hmm:

Return to the topic, i am not sure whether you can earn Lazo tokens now. As far as i know ,you can only get the Pt. 2 special tokens for legendary captain Kuznetsov by buying gift boxes in wg store.  If you have kept a fully-equiped and upgraded Shchors in port,there is no need to exchange Lazo。Because they too similar.In order to keep the Lazo's characteristics,Lazo's reloading and flexibility are worse than Shchors.  But the most important thing is that Kuzentsov is worth exchanging.

If you are going to try high -tire Soviet battleships one day,Kuznettsov is necessary.His special skills is tailor-made for Soviet battleships.So why not give up Lazo and try to exchange Kunzenttsov?Though you are  mainly a cruiser main ,Kuznettsov can still provide great help for your ship.If you miss the activity,you may wait a long time to exchange Kunzenttsov again which will cost you a lot of coal source.

For  the second question.  Yubari need you have high-tier Japanese CA gaming experiences or you won't get good experiences during the game.Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya is a very good choice if you decide to play Soviet battleships line.He can help you understand how to fight as a Soviet BB and  use your limited "damage control".Agile as a French dd,I don't recommend it to you.You have said that you  you would not try destroyers for the time being.What's more,new French dd technology tree will update under 0.8.5 .Agile is a little different from the new French dd.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=ccdef9bf6e307a5eimageproxy.php?img=&key=ccdef9bf6e307a5eAll  the words above only represents my personal point of view .Hope they can help you.:fish_aqua:

Thanks for your suggestions and greetings to you! I am a Chinese player indeed. A refugee from Kongzhong's servers that migranted in March this year.

I have visited the Chinese-language section of the forum and find its atomsphere too toxic, with posts claiming that one would quit the game or condemning the CV rework floating everywhere which disgusted me. So I decided to stay in the English-speaking section which at least resembles a regular gaming forum.

I have grinded through Mogami and have a couple of games in Ibuki back in Chinese server not long before, so maybe I could adapt to Yubari's gaming style.

One can still purchase containers of Part 1 of the Victory Event today (and Part 2 containers are available for purchase throughout Patch 0.8.5). So I think that I would buy two Soviet Era containers, exchange Lazo, and grab Kuznetsov through a later purchase of dubloons during Patch 0.8.5. About Soviet Battleships, I have some luck and get a Pytor Velikiy through a container WG give me for free though daily supplies and have already learnt about essentials about thems through being Devstruck and devstriking other Soviet battleships.

I know that all tech-tree French destroyers would be smokeless from official bulletins.

[ELDER]
16 posts
13,289 battles
7 分鐘前,Project45_Opytny 說:

Thanks for your suggestions and greetings to you! I am a Chinese player indeed. A refugee from Kongzhong's servers that migranted in March this year.

I have visited the Chinese-language section of the forum and find its atomsphere too toxic, with posts claiming that one would quit the game or condemning the CV rework floating everywhere which disgusted me. So I decided to stay in the English-speaking section which at least resembles a regular gaming forum.

I have grinded through Mogami and have a couple of games in Ibuki back in Chinese server not long before, so maybe I could adapt to Yubari's gaming style.

One can still purchase containers of Part 1 of the Victory Event today (and Part 2 containers are available for purchase throughout Patch 0.8.5). So I think that I would buy two Soviet Era containers, exchange Lazo, and grab Kuznetsov through a later purchase of dubloons during Patch 0.8.5. About Soviet Battleships, I have some luck and get a Pytor Velikiy through a container WG give me for free though daily supplies and have already learnt about essentials about thems through being Devstruck and devstriking other Soviet battleships.

I know that all tech-tree French destroyers would be smokeless from official bulletins.

I am very glad to meet a good friend like you in this game.Just like you say,Chinese-language forum's atomsphere is a little strange.Weather it is an offical  Chines-language or NGA forum in our own country ,there are many players  who we always  call  them "keyboard-man" making useless remarks on the forum.:cap_rambo:But Fortunately,as you say,the English-speaking community is a little better .

French destroyers would be smokeless from official bulletins indeed,but they can run over 50 knots when they turn on their engine overboost.LOL:cap_hmm:

I just noticed your replay on the disscussion "The Pan-Asian (Chinese) Cruisers is coming?"  I highly recognize your point of view and think that you are a   wisdom and respectable person.Hope we can discuss more questions together in the future.

1,362 posts
5,741 battles
48 minutes ago, _Evangeline said:

I am very glad to meet a good friend like you in this game.Just like you say,Chinese-language forum's atomsphere is a little strange.Weather it is an offical  Chines-language or NGA forum in our own country ,there are many players  who we always  call  them "keyboard-man" making useless remarks on the forum.:cap_rambo:But Fortunately,as you say,the English-speaking community is a little better .

French destroyers would be smokeless from official bulletins indeed,but they can run over 50 knots when they turn on their engine overboost.LOL:cap_hmm:

I just noticed your replay on the disscussion "The Pan-Asian (Chinese) Cruisers is coming?"  I highly recognize your point of view and think that you are a   wisdom and respectable person.Hope we can discuss more questions together in the future.

Thanks for your compliment :)

I simply thought that the ridiculous thread and all those modern-day fantasties is beyond the limits of acceptance for the game.

1,362 posts
5,741 battles

Finally, after discussion and consideration, I made up my  mind and made my choice yesterday afternoon.

I exchanged the Lazo for actually 2500 doubloons together with spare tokens equal to 432K credits and a bunch of expandable camouflages and special signals which prices are counted together in the doubloons as a bundle as the usual Wargaming practice.  At least she is a premium and though 1404 tokens (roughly equals 11.3 million credits had I chose to do nothing and let it go) can be quite a little amount of credits, credits can be farmed through grinding in Scenario Operations and owning a Tier 7 Premium would be beneficial for in-game economy, no matter how she behaves in-game (Though fully-equiping her, Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya and Charles Martel which I purchased earlier nearly bankrupted me in-game again). Also, a regular Tier 7 premium would cost at least 5100 doubloons in the Armory and Tier 7 Premium Cruisers cost even a tad more with an average around 8600 (though both Atlanta and Indianapolis are not only more historical but more valuable in-game as well). In terms of Real-world cash, I paid RMB176.00 for a monthly replenishment consists of 4500 doubloons and 30-days of Premium Account time, while the HMS Hood's Admiral Pack which is recently on sale costs RMB349.00 (though with the usual Wargaming practice, the bundle comes together with some credits, doubloons, signal flags and other stuffs). Most of the ship have been earned for free during the first part of the Victory Event.

And regarding her in-game performance, I have to agree with the North American CC Littlewhitemouse's comments on her and to be honest, have been a little regretful for exchanging her and feel a tad disappointed about her. She is a boring premium and offer little value besides her Artillery spotter gimmick, the arguably personal-related aesthetic aspects of a Pr.68 Chapayev-class CL in contrast to the transitional design of the Pr.28 Shchors (some people have been vocal critics of Shchors' unique cylindrical bridge design ever since the release of the Soviet cruiser line, however I do not oppose how she looks in general) and her premium status with economic bonus and ability of captain training and transferring. To make things worse, I struggle with gunnery skills (i.e. how to properly track on and aim at a certain enemy) in the spotter view of aiming, and even with the famed Soviet ballistics, the shell trajectory on the maximum range combined with the travel time for the shells means it is extremely hard to reliably hit anything besides battleships. Though Shchors has been notorious for her handling, on most aspects Lazo is even worse; both of them turn like a trucks, but Shchors is capable of making 35.5 knots, enough to hunt down destroyers or escape from hostile environments from enemy capital ships when necessary and the ability of being able to steam at 35.5 knots itself makes you feel good and fascinated. Also, Lazo loses a strip of 20-mm amidships plating of Shchors which can riochet German 283-mm AP shells, though the original strip on Shchors is of little importance, if any at all, from the beginning. And in the end, as martyred Bolshevik revolutionaries during Russian Civil War, both Nikolai Shchors and Sergei Lazo seems to be little known in China nowadays. At least you can still find resources of translated versions of the novel Chapayev, while in contrast many people are confused by the question of "What is Lazo indeed" when the ship was announced earlier until someone finds some brief biographical information about that Soviet-Moldavian revolutionary.

So the problem evolves into how many games do I need to play in order to recoup her cost of 1404 tokens, 1750000 credits spent for upgrades and 2500 doubloons for the containers. If we assume that an average run of Narai would bring about 300000 credits worth of income in Lazo (though I have been practicing to adapt to her handling yet), it would take about 37 successful runs to recoup her cost in tokens earned for free (as if I do nothing and let it go, the tokens would be converted into credits automatically), 6 runs for the upgrades and 2 runs for the tokens purchased with doubloons. If I use Lazo to farm in Operation Narai exclusively and sortie 2 times a day (as a part of completing the daily missions) during Weekly Operation of Narai, it would take 3 weeks of regular grinding to fully recoup her cost and "potential cost" of the tokens; though it can be shortened by intensive grinding when I would be free. However, the grind would be much shorter if one consider the tokens earned for free as gifts given by Wargaming; it would take merely about 12 runs to recoup the 2500 doubloons' equivalent in credits spent on containers. Considering how mediocre she is, maybe it is better to let it go and complete the recouping process in a duration of several weeks through regular gaming.

And the rest of that sum of doubloons have been spent exclusively on purchasing ship slots as they are sold at the 1/3 price of usual and I think it would be worth purchasing spare ship slots at this time. I would exchange for free XP when there is a sale again perhaps.

I need 117 tokens of the second stage to recruit Admiral Kuznetsov during Patch 0.8.5. That means 5 In the Service of the Motherland containers, which would cost at least 5750 dubloons (though packed with chances of getting a combat mission a certain Soviet premium ship).

As for the coupon and coal, finally I made up my mind and purchased Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya with it. The more expensive ship would enjoy a larger margin of benefit from the coupon, though I haven't tried her in battles yet. Maybe her layout would be a bit awkward, however she enjoys reliable long-range accuracy (as it seems that Wargaming hasn't made up their mind about how Soviet battleships would be back then) and I have been somewhat adapted to the even more awkward layout of Izmail (for bow-tanking and angling tactics; Izmail's stern protection does not allow her to reliabliy kite against enemy capital ships despite her interesting layout). What's more, thanks to widespread upper armor belts, she enjoyed the brainless angling ability of Pytor Velikiy as most of the AP shells would bounce off the upper belts. Then I have to continue my coal-mining daily grind (usually it means 6 runs in Secnario Operations, however during Newport and potentially Raptor Rescue which will return in 0.8.6 I would struggle to grab the first part of the award) to grab Jean Bart, or possibly Yoshino when I have accumulated enough coal from now on in the game and grab Yubari and other low-tier premiums when I have spare coal (or once again run into situations that I have to spend a coupon that would expire soon). In addition, she is much more interesting as a topic than Lazo: she existed historically as a completed ship and saw service in both World Wars. She was renamed after that great event that helped to shape the modern world after its happen once and for all, and participated in the heroic and legendary struggle of Soviet Defence of Leningrad and helped to secure the Soviet city from falling to German invaders together with the Soviet Baltic Fleet and all the other defenders of that Hero City. Also, though "ugly as sin" as some people describe, the state of Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya represented in game actually interseted me quite a little with both her modernizations in the 1930s (clipper bow, superstructure and funnel) and her indeed haphazard wartime refit in the besiged Leningrad using whatever anti-aircraft armaments available (some sort of quasi-post-apocalypse style, aren't they?).

And those are my decisions. Though they may be flawed and indeed I somewhat regret exchange for Lazo, I have made the choices and the new patch will come soon on Thursday. May the Hill grind is relatively easy and more accessible (I freeXPed to Clemson to complete the D-Day task demanding at least Tier 4 destroyers earlier in June), as I have fat chance, even if spending all day grinding the game, to grab Somers for 800 fuel tokens, and at least grabbing Hill seems theoretically possible as long as complete all the 4 stages of Directives.

Edited by Project45_Opytny
Some forgotten lines added.
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this