You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Rogue Wave Event

22 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,285 posts
12,464 battles

Phew.

I guess this means all the other things are fixed, patched and balanced then?

I mean if they have time to work on some cliched, ridiculous non early 20th century aspect of the game that is entirely out of theme with THE WHOLE GAME... then I guess in 0.8.5 everything else is perfect and hunky dory?

Tickety-boo?

No problemo?

What a relief.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HMNZ]
255 posts
4,595 battles

*as he ducks down in the phone booth and dials his shoe phone*

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[LUOMU]
Super Tester
1,418 posts
10,351 battles

Are we in a situation where a patch dedicated to "fixing and preparing the game" is necessary? I'd say no. Rainbow Six: Siege had one and let's see their situation compared to ours. (Yeah, WoWS is a considered a tactical shooter)

I'm interested in the game but not a R6S player so correct me if I'm wrong:

1.At that time, severe hit registration problems plagued R6S. Where are we right now? The hit system is cut clear and results can match the trace cam if your internet is good. There are a few mechanisms that needs more explanation

i.e. underwater normal pen will not give you a ribbon, bow section of some ships have a rather flat tip that won't produce ricochet when hit - thus weird bow on citadels, DD pen situation.

We are getting a new TDS-pen/internal belt non-pen ribbon next patch, should be in a few days.

Not saying we haven't faced bugs before, the notorious underwater pen bug in 2018 was a prime example. The devs acted extremely quickly and the bug was fixed within the patch life cycle.

2. Hackers were uncontrollable in R6S at that time. Flying characters, teleporting, wall hacks…

WG games have a great start by having all processes running at the server, meaning that illegal mods can only operate with the information the server supplies to the client. AFIAK the main hack for WoWS are aimbots and shell impact point prediction, while dealing with these hackers are frustrating, they can't and can never change the physics, the detection, the shell/armor system… I certainly want WG to crack down harder on hackers, but that would bring privacy concerns… Oh well, at least I've never seen a Shimakaze teleporting herself to the spawn point and torp all the enemy ships.

3. Client interface (?) Seem that a major request at that time in R6S was the ability to change loadout during the prep phase.

We really need an interface update. WoWS is still using Autodesk ScaleForm. Which is Adobe Flash. Which is basically given up by Adobe and most tech companies.

To be fair, the devs are indeed doing great work accelerating the loading/quitting phases of the client. And the client compression improvement in 2016 really made my experience enjoyable for the last few years. Most decent HDD systems can load into the game within the minute, which is really impressive and the devs deserve compliments for this.

But I really want to see ScaleForm (read: Adobe Flash) go away. It's 2019 already.

But I'd say we are not in need of a patch completely devoid of new contents and focused solely on fixing stuff. We have a bot problem yes, but WG's structure is development studio+local GM. Cleansing the server of bots is the responsibility of local marketing/game management, you don't need a patch to ban the bots. Our server seem to be hit the hardest with the bot wave, but the SEA management is looking into it and the ban hammer is waving.

Also, unlike ubisoft, Wargaming has way fewer main offerings. It has to keep the project and the studio running, on cash. New contents need to be added to keep players going and the cash flow going. It sounds ugly and greedy, but it's only fair the devs get salaries for their hard work. Also, researches costs, a LOT. The British national archives for example, charges on a per page basis for scanning service. My curiosity once almost got me to try and contact them for some BP, but my empty pocket held me back. Wargaming actually paid for these services so they can release lines for free.

As for the new post-apoc theme… I've never heard anyone protesting the 2016 Apr Fools bathtub theme, so why not. It's a fun mode and we've had wild imaginary themes in the past.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08
  • Cool 2

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,285 posts
12,464 battles
9 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

As for the new post-apoc theme… I've never heard anyone protesting the 2016 Apr Fools bathtub theme, so why not. It's a fun mode and we've had wild imaginary themes in the past.

Yeah I guess.

I mean we've had the full "Hunt the Bismarck" event, wow that was fun, does everyone remember playing that event? Remember how you could play a historical version of the hunt or do your own "what if" scenarios? That was so well thought out.

And the "Encounter at Jutland" event, that was masterful, the two parts that represented the engagements at two different times between WWI British and German fleets? The camo rewards and the QE class themed rewards were well received by everyone! And the Jellicoe special commander! Wow I got him to 19 points straight away! His specials suit UK BBs perfectly!

Not to mention the "War at Midway" event! The way they dovetailed that into the whole naval War in the South Pacific ongoing event arc? I think I speak for everyone when I applaud in awe at the sublime and beautiful way this event, and other WWI and WWII themed events have grown the game and really established the footing of the game in its natural oeuvre. I think we all came to love CVs after that event.

Oh wait.

That's right.

None of that happened.

Undead submarines and post apocalyptic rubbish is what we get instead.

Utter garbage.

Screw that.

• Cool 2

[LUOMU]
Super Tester
1,418 posts
10,351 battles
1 hour ago, Max_Battle said:

Yeah I guess.

I mean we've had the full "Hunt the Bismarck" event, wow that was fun, does everyone remember playing that event? Remember how you could play a historical version of the hunt or do your own "what if" scenarios? That was so well thought out.

And the "Encounter at Jutland" event, that was masterful, the two parts that represented the engagements at two different times between WWI British and German fleets? The camo rewards and the QE class themed rewards were well received by everyone! And the Jellicoe special commander! Wow I got him to 19 points straight away! His specials suit UK BBs perfectly!

Not to mention the "War at Midway" event! The way they dovetailed that into the whole naval War in the South Pacific ongoing event arc? I think I speak for everyone when I applaud in awe at the sublime and beautiful way this event, and other WWI and WWII themed events have grown the game and really established the footing of the game in its natural oeuvre. I think we all came to love CVs after that event.

Oh wait.

That's right.

None of that happened.

Undead submarines and post apocalyptic rubbish is what we get instead.

Utter garbage.

Screw that.

If you look at scenarios like Hermes (transfer of French gold reserve with Bearn participating) and cherry blossom(battle of Empress Augusta Bay), it is very clear that the devs are trying to avoid the inclusion of named historical battles even when they are referencing them. I'm not going to speculate the reasoning for this.

Also, modifying a map and ships is way more efficient than programming a bunch of bots to commit suicide only for the players to complain about how repetitive and predictable it is.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,285 posts
12,464 battles
1 minute ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

If you look at scenarios like Hermes (transfer of French gold reserve with Bearn participating) and cherry blossom(battle of Empress Augusta Bay), it is very clear that the devs are trying to avoid the inclusion of named historical battles even when they are referencing them. I'm not going to speculate the reasoning for this.

Also, modifying a map and ships are way more efficient than programming a bunch of bots to commit suicide only for the players to complain about how repetitive and predictable it is.

I get that some people like whacked out scenarios. I get that people enjoy different things.

However, I for one would rather play Hermes and Cherry Blossom ad infinitum than the freak scenarios they come up with.

The Conjuring series of horror movies is great. Spooky settings, undead and demonic things - I really enjoy it. Post apocalyptic settings are another favourite of mine.

I know where to get my undead fix and I know where to get my post apocalyptic fix.

And though I am no naval buff/historian and I didn't come here for a naval sim, these rubbish out of theme/out of character scenarios are a waste of time.

I come here to get my early 20th century war boat fix.

Sure, some people will agree with me and some people will love the whack.

• Cool 1

1,893 posts
6,031 battles

Oh now you are making me thinking about an event where all ships have "From the Bottom of the Ocean" camos (unlike those in the previous Halloween events, but realistic undead ships). For example, all the ships that were scuttled at Scapa Flow and Toulon.

I'd call it "Night of the Living Scuttled".

... instead of campaigning for an Age of Sails-themed April's Fool event consisting of T2-3-4 armored cruisers.

Makra is garbage, Max.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,285 posts
12,464 battles
3 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Oh now you are making me thinking about an event where all ships have "From the Bottom of the Ocean" camos (unlike those in the previous Halloween events, but realistic undead ships). For example, all the ships that were scuttled at Scapa Flow and Toulon.

STOP GIVING THEM IDEAS!

3 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Makra is garbage, Max.

bruce.gif

[LBAS]
5,187 posts
30,419 battles

How the hell the story

Prologue

NUCLEAR WAR . . . S.O.S.

After match

Post Apocalypse :Smile_trollface:

some where out there, the scavengers . . .

plus some Military Forces are rushing for Oil/Fuel

Edited by MatterCore

84 posts
1,397 battles
5 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

... instead of campaigning for an Age of Sails-themed April's Fool event consisting of T2-3-4 armored cruisers.

Makra is garbage, Max.

A burnt-out Algerie (she burnt for 20 days after being scuttled by her crew historically) or a water-logged Bayern?

At least they may become rather interesting premium camouflages for the ships involved, though all of us seem to be rather pessimistic about how Wargaming would design events.

Or maybe a Pensacola after Operation Crossroads? I remember that both Pensacola and Salt Lake City stubbornly remained afloat after both Test Able and Test Baker, and was finally sunk as target ships later off the West Coast of the US.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,285 posts
12,464 battles
18 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

The dial up sound just before the US General speaks to his forces 😛

• Cool 1

[LUOMU]
Super Tester
1,418 posts
10,351 battles
5 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

I get that some people like whacked out scenarios. I get that people enjoy different things.

However, I for one would rather play Hermes and Cherry Blossom ad infinitum than the freak scenarios they come up with.

The Conjuring series of horror movies is great. Spooky settings, undead and demonic things - I really enjoy it. Post apocalyptic settings are another favourite of mine.

I know where to get my undead fix and I know where to get my post apocalyptic fix.

And though I am no naval buff/historian and I didn't come here for a naval sim, these rubbish out of theme/out of character scenarios are a waste of time.

I come here to get my early 20th century war boat fix.

Sure, some people will agree with me and some people will love the whack.

I'd say the original idea for the theme crossover started in early 2015 with the Apr Fools being a mode similar to the current space battles mode. It is likely inspired by "Space Battleship Yamato" a Japanese animation series, crossover of space and naval theme.

The great thing about these stuff is that you can cut a whole lot of time spent on creating B-reps, only small parts need to be added/swapped(which likely are sorted into individual layers in their internal model files). Make a new set of texture and it's ready to be sold for a few thousand doubloons. It will not take up much time.

A lot more time needs to be spent on scenario game modes, and they are usually not very well received, don't excite the player base as much and certainly don't generate as much revenue.

Honestly I did not expect a reskin event to happen this time of the year, previously it was only April fools and Halloween, and celebrating a cultural holiday with the player base isn't out of place. Previous Halloween events also served as field runs for to be added features. (15 Halloween radar, 16 scenario, 17 main battery reload boost. And in 2018 submarines are announced) I honestly don't know a holiday that comes with mad max themes. But the positive side is the addition of Benham, whose model along would probably cost more work hours than the 9 reskins combined…

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,285 posts
12,464 battles
3 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

A lot more time needs to be spent on scenario game modes, and they are usually not very well received, don't excite the player base as much and certainly don't generate as much revenue.

Well I don't have access to Wargaming's records and files so I don't know what modes make them how much money... but I do know that I have bought several T6 and T7 premium ships specifically for their use in operations...

6 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

I honestly don't know a holiday that comes with mad max themes.

LOL!

6 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

But the positive side is the addition of Benham, whose model along would probably cost more work hours than the 9 reskins combined…

And this is why I hate myself and will be a hypocrite...

I have Monaghan, Sims and Kidd... not an accident... my US fleet is largest in my harbour and Gearing was my first TX.

So I may not be able to resist getting Benham...

[LBAS]
5,187 posts
30,419 battles
14 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

The dial up sound just before the US General speaks to his forces 😛

Bias Invasion confirmed :Smile_trollface:

1,893 posts
6,031 battles
5 hours ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Honestly I did not expect a reskin event to happen this time of the year,

I expect NO event whatsoever in Summer. This is new.

What do you think about the ultimate reward, USS Benham? Worth getting? Skippable?

Edited by Paladinum

[REPOI]
1,319 posts
11,786 battles

You see. as per WG everything they put out in the patch is perfect and fine 98% of the times. And it is always the playerbase which doesn't like the changes they make.

[O7]
2,452 posts
15,746 battles

As much as I want to agree I'm a sukka for nu botes

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,285 posts
12,464 battles
3 hours ago, keskparane said:

I know these feels.

1,893 posts
6,031 battles
4 hours ago, keskparane said:

Are they German and/or cruisers?

• Funny 1

[CLAY]
1,197 posts
8,104 battles

I’ve become pretty ‘meh’ towards these types of events. I’ll probably play them because they’re there, and I could get some perma camos, flags etc... from them, but I wish there were more events that allowed regular ships so I could grind my fleet.(I don’t especially want to FXP my way up a line).

I know @HMS_Swiftsure_08 says that it’s supposed to be easier to make these PvP mini games with modified mechanics rather than program bots, but I still wish WG did put the time in to more operations. Maybe I just like games where you can use strategy and skill without having to outthink a human opponent? Because with enough strategy and skill you can almost always create a victory, rather than losing because the other team was just ‘better’. Or maybe I’m just a poor player.

Still not sure why operations don’t seem to be more popular, as Swiftsure suggests, predictable PvE doesn’t stop other games. Probably because this game is primarily a PvP game and it’s primary players are PvPers.

Oh well, just have to start grinding T8 in random battles after grinding almost all T7 ships through operations.

[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,070 posts
7,596 battles

'Oh, I really should've played that Rogue Wave Event.'

-said no-one ever on their deathbed.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
526 posts
15 時間前、Max_Battle の発言:

Phew.

I guess this means all the other things are fixed, patched and balanced then?

I mean if they have time to work on some cliched, ridiculous non early 20th century aspect of the game that is entirely out of theme with THE WHOLE GAME... then I guess in 0.8.5 everything else is perfect and hunky dory?

Tickety-boo?

No problemo?

What a relief.

the team have gone to the pub, drinking 500L of vodka.

So they can brainstorm something else.

Balance? Is that the instrument for weighing things?

Edited by spixys