Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Watboy

Ranked w CV, did anyone have fun?

16 comments in this topic

20 posts

First season for me seriously trying ranked. It took a little bit of a learning curve, but I think I got better and ended at rank 5. I played the Des Moines, and ended up having to respec it as full AA due to the constant Hakuryu towards the end. I was frequently focused by the CV, if I stayed behind island cover, dive bombers would blow away big chunks of my HP. If I maneuvered, there would inevitably be a BB somewhere I was showing too much broadside too. Even though I would shoot down 30+ or 40+ planes, it seemingly did little to slow down the enemy CV. A "successful" game for me would be to move up into island cover to provide support and radar for the DD's, and then tie up the CV's attention for most of the game until my teammates could secure the advantage. It was not fun. The 12 to 7 ranks I rarely saw CV's and gameplay was more dynamic and a lot more fun. I'm sure wargaming has all sorts of stats to measure balance, but does anyone find CV game play to be fun?

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
509 posts
11,515 battles

I gave up using any AA in DM, just went full surface and queue jump. That's how much fun I have with CV 

[REPOI]
5,134 posts
21,072 battles

as a CV, yes i had fun bombing the crap out of everything

also as a CV, no i had no fun because everything you do the team will be angry at

kill a BB? "fk you noob CV farming to save star"

kill the CAs? "fk you noob CV why you dont help with BBs"

go after DDs? "noob CV not doing anything go back to randoms"

so no, it was no fun for either sides

• Funny 7

1,346 posts
6,037 battles

wut?

come on! rank battle are full of highly skilled player, they can adapt to CV meta just fine.

right?  right?

• Funny 2

[TLS]
1,600 posts
17,189 battles
32 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

kill a BB? "fk you noob CV farming to save star"

All the more ironic given that people play bbs to save star.

• Cool 1

2,274 posts
6,176 battles

Yes. Since I encountered CVs 2 times in my 18 Ranked matches (I stopped at Rank 11) and played almost entirely Salem, there is no problem :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[TLS]
1,600 posts
17,189 battles
2 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Yes. Since I encountered CVs 2 times in my 18 Ranked matches (I stopped at Rank 11) and played almost entirely Salem, there is no problem :Smile_trollface:

Since I played 3 ranked battles with my n00b Haku 3 times, I have absolutely no issues as well. Apart from the fact that human players are far easier to hit with 4x3 tbs than bots.

[PATEN]
Video Contributor, Clantest Coordinator
2,463 posts
11,795 battles

totally fine with everything

expect team

[BLESS]
638 posts
6,979 battles

It was the unicum enemy DDs which ended up causing me more grief that any CV ever did. Though maybe it was having to play epicenter tears of the desert map over and over again than finally caused me to crack.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
572 posts

Team goes with 6 differents direction away from me >> CV,

especially when my team have 2 caps and thinking enemy will raise white flag in 5 mins time.

Poor team mate only knows white flag means surrender, but they never know a race from galaxy far away where white flag = fight till we die.

Edited by spixys

[-CAT-]
156 posts
5,914 battles

Half-half. Use only Montana rental from rank 15 to rank 9 then got pused back to rank 10.
A good learning experience for my 2nd Ranked game.

My only rage is on AFK, AFK for 5 mins then start playing, Plays game then AFK after a few mins (connection issue I can let go, but leaving the game midway is unforgivable), and at least 1 game where there was a border hugging ship (not sure if it is a bot or just intentional that the player has lost interest and left the table while the game is ongoing), luckily we won that game. At least fight to the death man. Death before dishonor even if others rage on you at least you died an honorable death.

Language barrier is a common problem, but the fact that the player understands english, but keeps insisting on speaking his native language, then looses, and blames other players for his loss is just...... (I just dont have words to decribe my utter disapointment and digust on this. Im speechless.) Other players sees them as square blocks and can't see or understand them. (unless you set up the keyboard settings to their native language.), hence they both rage in chat. Even after death, they rage on.

Most players use the map and the basic 12 in-game pre-set chat at least to an extent that they understand the intension. It's difficult in ranked but understandable with limitations.

I sometimes feel that there are excellent players using rentals and just either testing or trolling the other team. On the other hand, there are also rental players who are really new to ranked. (At least let them try it in co-op or training to get to know the ship.)

Lots of things can be wrong with rental ships (I understand that WG wants to give everyone a chance to play Ranked), but the rentals feels like a half-cooked bread. Too hard yet too soft.

None rental players has access to legendary equipment, camo, and more or less 15 ++ point captain (give or take).
[Rental] players only get no retraining captains (unless the player is a veteran and have a 19 point captain and is there to test or troll).

CV, I have no comment. I don't own any (not even premium), Just pray that the player knows what he is doing. My experience (in this ranked battle), half carried the team up (win), the other half carried the team home (loss).

Edited by S0und_Theif

[TDA]
Super Tester
4,592 posts
5,205 battles

I just did my usual trick of getting to 10/11 ish and then quitting because I was bored

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[NLG]
57 posts
2,936 battles

Rank 18 to Rank 11 was filled with salt. Rentals were frequently targeted by non-rentals' toxicity. I get it, rentals are more likely to have a less experienced player behind the wheel. But if we compared them to someone who had a non-rental but plays like trash, I'd bet on the rental having more chances of improving in the future. So people were effectively driving away players with learning potential. The 1st league was a frustrating hot mess and behavior of some people simply made it disgusting too.

However, once you manage to get into ranked 10+, it was far more enjoyable. Things were more orderly and there were good opportunities for learning and refining my gameplay.  I had much better awareness of my own impact in matches, and it let me spot my mistakes far more than what randoms would allow. There was more teamwork in general as well.

I was quite content playing mostly in the 2nd league, and barely touched random battles. I wanted to see how far I could go and it was kinda fun even tho I failed to rank out. Except that time I fell into back 1st league, which felt so bad I want to break something. That place is a dumpster. The 1st league gives Ranked Mode a bad reputation, but it also performs the filtering for the higher leagues.

Rentals weren't a bad idea in itself, but there should be more tightening on the conditions for getting them. Also we need to remove the brackets and no-camo rule so they're not automatically targeted by non-rentals looking for someone to vent their rage on.

I can't comment on CVs much because I was usually a lower priority target for CVs as Yamato. The campy style of play doesn't mix well with CVs.

20 posts

I have no idea why WG didn't allow rentals to use camo. Games can be very close, it's a real disadvantage not being allowed to use camo. Was it some attempt to make people who have their own ships feel pride and joy? Because it only increased the scorn on renters.

[TDA]
Super Tester
4,592 posts
5,205 battles
4 minutes ago, Watboy said:

Was it some attempt to make people who have their own ships

Yes.  Try before you buy.

[FORCE]
231 posts
8,165 battles

CV saved my Mino because I don't need to play risky by switching smoke with radar, or expect the friendly DD to co-operate. Ranked to 10, then give up.

Sign in to follow this