You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
amade

[Preorder Packages] Sims, Gremyashchiy and Yubari

31 comments in this topic

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

They're finally out, so now I can dispense some info about it. Hopefully this can help people decide on which package they want to buy.

Sims - Tier VII USN DD

Stats:

HP: 13800

Guns: 4x1 127 mm DP (13.3 ROF, 5.3 s traverse, 2370 AP damage, 112 m dispersion 12.9 km range)

Torpedo: 2x4 Mk15 mod. 0 (11600 damage, 65 kt, 5.5 km range)

AA: 4x1 12.7 mm, 2x1 20 mm, 4x1 127 mm DP (rating 11)

Manueverability: 39 kt, 500 m turning radius, 3.5 s rudder shift time

Detectability: 7.6 (surface), 3.7 (air)

The Sims (not the game), as advertised, is very quick and nimble. Fast speed and an insanely small turning radius makes it really good at dodging incoming shells. Also fast are its 4x1 127 mm Mk30 mod. 0 guns, which are the same guns you get on the Benson and Fletcher. You'll be able to keep track of any target while its long range will make sure you can hit them while staying reasonably safe from counter fire thanks to your nimbleness. The torps aren't spectacular, and unless you're used to USN DDs you'll struggle with its short range, but they're adequate for the job. This DD is mainly a gun brawler, and it does it extremely well, much better than the same tier Mahan. The downside of its guns, like most US 5 in guns, is that the shells have a high arc and thus long flight time. At max range you not only need to be able to lead correctly, but to anticipate your target's movements. A good buy if you're a fan of USN DDs and their excellent guns.

Gremyashchiy - Tier V SN DD

Stats:

HP: 13100

Guns: 4x1 130 mm (12.0 ROF, 36 s traverse, 2810 AP damage, 104 m dispersion 11.9 km range)

Torpedo: 2x3 53-39 (14400 damage, 55 kt, 8 km range)

AA: 2x1 12.7 mm, 2x2 12.7 mm, 4x1 37 mm, 2x1 76 mm (rating 8)

Manueverability: 38 kt, 630 m turning radius, 3.5 s rudder shift time

Detectability: 7.0 (surface), 3.6 (air)

The Gremy isn't quite the stealthy assassin as the Gift Shop claims it to be. Even the same tier Nicholas has better detectability than the Gremy, so it actually has the worst detectability of all tier V DDs. However, it is still capable of launching torps from beyond its detection range (a fairly recent buff, actually), so it can do what the Nicholas can't which is kill silently. However, IMO this would be a waste of its superb 130mm guns. Boasting more damage, good range and high shell velocity, a lot of pain can be delivered very accurately. A serious threat even to cruisers. It does suffer a bit from slow traverse, so a recommended equipment is the faster traverse modernization. The slightly lower ROF that comes with it is worth it, as you actually gain more DPM than you would without the equipment. Having your guns actually lined up to the target > having raw ROF.

Yubari - Tier IV IJN CL

Stats:

HP: 18300

Guns: 2x2 140 mm (9.2 ROF, 24 s traverse, 3020 AP damage, 121 m dispersion 12.8 km range)

Torpedo: 2x2 Type8 (14600 damage, 63 kt, 6 km range)

AA: 8x1 25 mm, 4x2 25 mm, 3x3 25 mm, 1x1 120 mm DP (rating 19)

Manueverability: 35 kt, 690 m turning radius, 5.0 s rudder shift time

Detectability: 9.9 (surface), 4.7 (air)

Another slight inaccuracy in the gift shop, it doesn't have the best torpedo at tier IV. That honour goes to the Iwaki which not only boasts more damage but also more torps per broadside. However, the Yubari does have faster torps, albeit at a shorter range. But in terms of what you can buy (since the Iwaki isn't purchasable), then yes it does have the best torps at tier IV. Its guns are the same type as on the Iwaki and Kuma, though the layout and amount of guns are inferior to both. The 2x2 layout makes it difficult to lay bracketing fire, so you can't spray and pray with it. One thing the gift shop got right is its AA complement, which is the best at tier IV. In fact, most tier IV ships lack any substantial AA (some are even absent of it). It and the Iwaki are currently the only ships that can pose a credible threat to enemy aircraft at tier IV. Unfortunately, since it only has 1 battery of DP gun, it doesn't gain the Barrage ability. And like most cruisers, it doesn't have smoke screens either, unlike the Iwaki. Overall a decent ship, but personally I prefer the Iwaki over the Yubari any time.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
390 posts
3,801 battles

Nice post, +1 given, agree with all the comments. The Sims is just loads of fun

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

One correction, though. The Gremyashchiy did not belong to the IRN, but rather the Soviet Navy (built in 1930s).

Thanks, fixed it.

Beta Tester
86 posts
208 battles

Just a couple of questions, is that Sims, the class DD-409 belongs to? Why is its advertised speed 39kts, online sources have varying speed like 35~36kts top. :unsure: I thought Shimakaze was the fastest with 39~40+kts top.

And what the hell are these icons?

aFmQcqX.jpg

The last ones are torpedoes, but the first one a propeller... so Sims get "Improved Ventilation" for its crew ala-WoT? And the 2nd icon... torpedo with shield. Shield... shield... so does the Sim get Anti-Torpedo Bulge on it? :unsure: Those icons aren't much help.

Edited by _PanzerKeil_

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Just a couple of questions, is that Sims, the class DD-409 belongs to? Why is its advertised speed 39kts, online sources have varying speed like 35~36kts top. :unsure: I thought Shimakaze was the fastest with 39~40+kts top.

aFmQcqX.jpg

The last ones are torpedoes, but the first one a propeller... so Sims get "Improved Ventilation" for its crew ala-WoT? And the 2nd icon... torpedo with shield. Shield... shield... so does the Sim get Anti-Torpedo Bulge on it? :unsure: Those icons aren't much help.

Speed, Dueling potential and Torpedoes.

2 posts
575 battles

the ships are looking nice but how i know what ship to preorder when i dont know my playstyle?(for non cb testers)

ok maybe i just buy them all and find out :D

Alpha Tester
199 posts
226 battles

Played one battle each, the USN DD is what you expect from the regular DD line limited range torpedoes but good guns. Russian DD has OK torpedoes on par with IJN ones but I would not recommend using the guns against other DDs. The IJN cruiser's guns are actually quite accurate against DDs, the torp cone unfortunately is very small....

Edited by goff

Beta Tester
31 posts
620 battles

Are these ships going to be available for purchase in the open Beta or are they just for closed beta purchase?  And when are they going to give us gold like they did in the WoT close beta test?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

aFmQcqX.jpg

those propeller? Maybe Low time to reach max speed?

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Are these ships going to be available for purchase in the open Beta or are they just for closed beta purchase?  And when are they going to give us gold like they did in the WoT close beta test?

At best they might give us some gold to test the game during OBT phase, but for official release nope you won't keep any (except the pre-order gold).

Pre-order ships can't be bought by any mean after release, at least for 1 year. After 1 year or 2 you might see them pop up on the gift shop at rather high price. In short words, they are rather exclusive, but are they worth the buy or not you be the judge.

those propeller? Maybe Low time to reach max speed?

Those icons indicates the vessels' strong points, in case of that DD it is Speed, Brawling and Torpedo.

For the Russian DD it is Maneuverability, Concealment/Smokescreen (false) and Torpedo.

For the IJN Cruiser it is Artillery (false), Anti-Air and Torpedo.

The Yubari is very worth it after playing a number of times.

It seems fine on paper to me. FP is a bit better than Iwaki though still fall short compare to Kuma.

Torpedo is decent, worse than Iwaki but still comparable to Kuma.

AA is unmatched, but without AA Barrage it still does little at stopping Carrier strikes.

Durability wise, all 3 of tier 4 IJN Cruisers are paper.

However, she is really maneuverable, which is nice.

I'm gonna wait till when WG switches Yubari's pack to ship + gold instead of ship + prem time, cuz most of the time I can't make effective use of that prem time at all.

Edited by Gezeiten_Heimatwelt

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Ah just remembered, She have better AA from the rest tier 4 (Right?)

Langley user will get more headache

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Ah just remembered, She have better AA from the rest tier 4 (Right?)

Langley user will get more headache

Yeah, but remember that she doesn't come with AA Barrage ability, so it's not really that impressive.

I might buy her just because she's rather nice to use, not powerful but good enough.

I'm still gonna wait till they remove that prem time from the package though.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Yeah, but remember that she doesn't come with AA Barrage ability, so it's not really that impressive.

I might buy her just because she's rather nice to use, not powerful but good enough.

Yeah, play for exp that will gone eventually is quite.... not something

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

It doesn't really need barrage ability. Against Langley or Indy planes it's more than adequate. Even with my Iwaki I can take down bomber squadrons quite easily, the Yubari does it better.

Beta Tester
11 posts
1,787 battles

I get 6 kills with Yubari- -. But I agree it is very worth ships. Actually only Atlanta is worth to buy. I buy these 3 in 1 only for the Premium Account.... 

Beta Tester
11 posts
1,787 battles

Quite easy to get citadel hits with the Yubari due to its accuracy. 

Fully agree. If you have good skill you can godlike.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Would've liked the Yubari to come with the boost to AA ability, apart from that pretty decent ship. 

Alpha Tester
392 posts

Disappointed by the choice of pre-order ships, particularly the Sims destroyer. Seeing as twelve of that class were built and they all saw service, it should have been in the tech tree. The tier V Nicholas would have been a better choice since it's merely a paper ship.

Beta Tester
70 posts
991 battles

I can never read that name and take it seriously.

ciMkzH6.png

"SIMS" indeed... everytime i hear about that DD it reminds me about that game...