You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrHumpty_Dumpty

I have 1 question to ask about CV

17 comments in this topic

[1AN-E]
27 posts
3,369 battles

I was playing in my King George 5th, in a top tier match, and i noticed the enemy team had the Tier 6 'Furious", i knew that my AA would have been somewhat decent, but i followed roughly around 4 other ships to the eastern flank. The Furious targeted me because i am a top tier BB, but even with 4 ships shooting AA and my ships AA focused portside, we barely managed to put a dent into the dive bomber squadron, which managed to land 2 salvos on me. I thought i may aswell back up a bit to regain health, but in the distance, a torpedo squadron is approaching. I set the ship to FULL AHEAD, and turn portside to dodge torpedos, but yet again, with all these countermeasures i try to do, and with the close proximity of friendly ships AA, I still managed to somehow eat 6 torpedos with flooding, engine and rudder disabled. Not only did i suffer from not having health to regain, but i lost over 25k health just from those 2 squadrons. The worse part is the fact that no matter what I do, a CV always manages to kill me. 

Now, if any long time player understands my situation, perhaps they could shed some light and explain to me what i am doing wrong so I dont get spanked by CV every game.

Thanks

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

459 posts
4,576 battles

You are doing nothing wrong tbh. It's just how CV play is right now. DDs have it even worse. If a CV decides to come after them, they are done. CV just needs to know the DD's last location and they will get hounded to death because CVs know full well than 90% of the DDs out there have pitiful AA and even if the rockets won't kill them, the constant highlight will turn the guns of other ships in the DD's direction..

I feel your pain, I really do. I play BBs + CVs and I understand how BBs are just exp pinatas at tier 7 and below for CVs. Mostly the cause is the BB Captains aren't skilled enough to grab AA skills and then do pitiful damage to incoming planes. Sadly you will have to just to stick to Cruisers like you are doing right now and hope they keep their DFAA up as much as possible. Eventually your AA suite will improve too but don't expect too much. Right now AA is just meh but any more nerfs to CV or buffs to AA and then you will have CVs doing literally no damage. It's just a big balance mess.

• Cool 2

[SMOKE]
1,820 posts
15,620 battles

let me retell my story a few days back .. I was in my T8 Kagero within a group of BB and Cruisers, including a JB ( T9 French BB ), a Seattle, an Ibuki, and a Georgia, enemy CV come at us and specifically me ... yeah all the AA guns blazing , waves and waves of attack - rocket , then dive bomber, then torp and then again, I only manage to stay alive with smoke, and lots of maneuvering and in the end with HP left at under 100, and guess what the whole group; grouping together to help each other with AA and in the end we all together shoot down 2 planes ( yes 2 ) , and believe it or not I got 1 out of that ( and Kagero had only short range that goto 1.9KM )

That give you any idea how AA work , I suppose ( lack of it )   

Edited by Mechfori

1,160 posts
11,077 battles
1 hour ago, MrHumpty_Dumpty said:

I was playing in my King George 5th, in a top tier match, and i noticed the enemy team had the Tier 6 'Furious", i knew that my AA would have been somewhat decent, but i followed roughly around 4 other ships to the eastern flank. The Furious targeted me because i am a top tier BB, but even with 4 ships shooting AA and my ships AA focused portside, we barely managed to put a dent into the dive bomber squadron, which managed to land 2 salvos on me. I thought i may aswell back up a bit to regain health, but in the distance, a torpedo squadron is approaching. I set the ship to FULL AHEAD, and turn portside to dodge torpedos, but yet again, with all these countermeasures i try to do, and with the close proximity of friendly ships AA, I still managed to somehow eat 6 torpedos with flooding, engine and rudder disabled. Not only did i suffer from not having health to regain, but i lost over 25k health just from those 2 squadrons. The worse part is the fact that no matter what I do, a CV always manages to kill me. 

Now, if any long time player understands my situation, perhaps they could shed some light and explain to me what i am doing wrong so I dont get spanked by CV every game.

Thanks

There is nothing you can do against a determined CV while you are in a BB. If he wants your soul he will take it one way or another. Just depends how many planes he will lose doing it, not that that helps you back in port. WG wont admit just how broken both CV and AA is atm.

[LNA]
2,023 posts
13,250 battles

Thanks

KGV doesn't have a good AA suite. It is adequete for self defence ( AKA planes wandering less than 2km constantly , which mostly isn't the case).

Do also note that British BB concentrate their AA into a few vulnerable mounting across the ships ( very concentrated infact ) , SO getting spammed by HE means you have effectively no AA at all. This is one drawback of all British design up until Conqueror , where your starting AA is FANTASTIC , but getting shot at turn it into DD level AA much quicker than any other BB.

[OAKUM]
2,104 posts
15,807 battles

" fun & engaging balans"

"Everything's fine"

"working as intended"

Take your pick

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
59 posts
2,006 battles
1 hour ago, LonerPrime said:

. Right now AA is just meh but any more nerfs to CV or buffs to AA and then you will have CVs doing literally no damage. It's just a big balance mess.

THIS. So much this....

[1AN-E]
27 posts
3,369 battles
14 hours ago, Mechfori said:

let me retell my story a few days back .. I was in my T8 Kagero within a group of BB and Cruisers, including a JB ( T9 French BB ), a Seattle, an Ibuki, and a Georgia, enemy CV come at us and specifically me ... yeah all the AA guns blazing , waves and waves of attack - rocket , then dive bomber, then torp and then again, I only manage to stay alive with smoke, and lots of maneuvering and in the end with HP left at under 100, and guess what the whole group; grouping together to help each other with AA and in the end we all together shoot down 2 planes ( yes 2 ) , and believe it or not I got 1 out of that ( and Kagero had only short range that goto 1.9KM )

That give you any idea how AA work , I suppose ( lack of it )   

I just dont understand how while in a battle, we see the amount of flak puffs and bullets coming out of our ship, yet we get *200* damage or *80* damage and 1 plane dead, then the 4 torpedos from the IJN KAGA have dropped and you have lost 20k health. so Wargaming are telling me 20k health is a fair trade for 1 downed plane. Go Home Wargaming, you're drunk

[1AN-E]
27 posts
3,369 battles
13 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

" fun & engaging balans"

"Everything's fine"

"working as intended"

Take your pick

None of them sorry

4,505 posts
8,614 battles
On 6/19/2019 at 3:50 AM, Ordrazz said:

" fun & engaging balans"

My pick :Smile_veryhappy:

[KAMI]
1,503 posts
12,403 battles

I just dont understand how while in a battle, we see the amount of flak puffs and bullets coming out of our ship, yet we get *200* damage or *80* damage and 1 plane dead, then the 4 torpedos from the IJN KAGA have dropped and you have lost 20k health. so Wargaming are telling me 20k health is a fair trade for 1 downed plane. Go Home Wargaming, you're drunk

[KAMI]
1,503 posts
12,403 battles

Read this and u will find out more about our wonderful AA

[CLAY]
2,655 posts
12,005 battles

Balance is way off. Yes, CV must have the same chances to do damage as other ships, to that extent, they have to get SOME ordinance through.

Problem is, while ships have several methods to avoid surface ship fire. Dodging shells through wasd, going undetected, angling, SINKING THE GUY SHOOTING AT YOU, none of these are really effective against CVs. Yes, lightly angled ships can’t always angle, and large ships can’t always dodge, but getting out of range and going undetected is always a good option to mitigate ALL damage. Great for BBs so that can stealth up, heal up, and get back in the fight.

Except you CAN’T run and hide from CVs.

And as already established, AA in not really a reliable counter against a skilled player.

• Cool 1

[ELDER]
16 posts
13,289 battles

That's only one side of the players feeling.As a a top tier BB.you fell unfair because you lost 20K hp under the attack of cv.But for cv player,he choose to attack you,he know he will lose all his flight formation.Though the fighters or bombers finish the mission,they drop the torpedo or bombs,they won't come back to the mother ship.

it will take a long time (nearly more than 70s pre plane) to recovery full attack flight formation as a T6 cv. So it is a  two-way choice.Both partcipants will pay a price.:cap_hmm: 

459 posts
4,576 battles
43 minutes ago, _Evangeline said:

That's only one side of the players feeling.As a a top tier BB.you fell unfair because you lost 20K hp under the attack of cv.But for cv player,he choose to attack you,he know he will lose all his flight formation.Though the fighters or bombers finish the mission,they drop the torpedo or bombs,they won't come back to the mother ship.

it will take a long time (nearly more than 70s pre plane) to recovery full attack flight formation as a T6 cv. So it is a  two-way choice.Both partcipants will pay a price.:cap_hmm: 

I disagree a bit on that. A Kaga attacking a Montana even dodging flaks? Yes, the formation will perish and the CV will be lucky to get the 2nd drop. Only the first wave will "probably" survive. On the other hand, a Midway attacking a Montana while dodging flaks? Not only will they do ridiculous damage(rockets did 15k+ damage on a Musashi) over 70% of the formation will survive as well. All in all, if CV finds a BB alone, a tier 8 carrier can dish quite a bit of punishment and still survive with 2 waves but a tier X will hurt a lot more and still survive with enough planes to come back with a vengeance within minutes.

[ELDER]
16 posts
13,289 battles
34 分鐘前,LonerPrime 說:

I disagree a bit on that. A Kaga attacking a Montana even dodging flaks? Yes, the formation will perish and the CV will be lucky to get the 2nd drop. Only the first wave will "probably" survive. On the other hand, a Midway attacking a Montana while dodging flaks? Not only will they do ridiculous damage(rockets did 15k+ damage on a Musashi) over 70% of the formation will survive as well. All in all, if CV finds a BB alone, a tier 8 carrier can dish quite a bit of punishment and still survive with 2 waves but a tier X will hurt a lot more and still survive with enough planes to come back with a vengeance within minutes.

Yeah ,you are right.

My idea is only for the t6 'Furious". T8 and T10 CV are  high -tier  warships.They play a different way from low-tier cv.For high-tier Cv,players'personal skills and experiences are very important.A top cv player should know how to protect his flight formation and choose target.High-tier CV 's planes have more Hp than T6 or T4 cv.So  they can even get 2nd trop.Kaga is a special ship.Who else has 96 planes expect Kaga?LOL:fish_aqua:

459 posts
4,576 battles
1 hour ago, _Evangeline said:

Who else has 96 planes expect Kaga?LOL:fish_aqua:

And tier 7 planes flying in tier X AA. Oh boy. Recipe for fun times.:cap_rambo:

Edited by LonerPrime