You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

WG is denying lower tiers?

35 comments in this topic

694 posts
5,354 battles

Viribus unitis. Yahagi, WV 1944, Yuudachi. I mean, where are these guys? 

WG also doesn't care about operations anymore. I think they really forget the essential enjoyment when playing tier 7 and below it.

Ironically, while this video came out, a new tier X premium was announced. 

• Cool 2

2,274 posts
6,176 battles

Yes

(I'm sorry because playing high-tiered ships is more exciting and more profitable anyway)

Edited by Paladinum

[NFB]
1,168 posts
9,884 battles

This wouldn’t be the first controversial rant by this Youtuber.

He seems to focus on “new ships” here. Would be interesting to know how many premiums WG sell in different tiers. Maybe they sell plenty of the existing T2 to T7, that’s why they focus on higher tier premiums, who knows?

[G_R]
377 posts
14,889 battles
3 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Yes

(I'm sorry because playing high-tiered ships is more exciting and more profitable anyway)

But not for everyone.

I tend to agree with Zoup I have noticed the last 6 months or so what feels to me like a marketing push for players to get tier 9 and 10 ships.

Especially newer players. Other aspects also feel like a push for sales loot boxes in particular with the "chance to get a premium ship".

I hope they don't price themselves out of a market as I love the game but paying upwards of $100 aud for a ship is hard to justify.

Remember when super containers came in and if you got one it was woohoo now its woopy do some flags or 24 hours premium.

• Cool 3

2,274 posts
6,176 battles
14 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

True lol

[SMOKE]
694 posts
10,547 battles
18 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

He seems to focus on “new ships” here. Would be interesting to know how many premiums WG sell in different tiers. Maybe they sell plenty of the existing T2 to T7, that’s why they focus on higher tier premiums, who knows?

That is if they provide equally exciting T2 to T7 premium ships first and foremost; and with current meta grinding low tier become a PITA with CV ; Non functioning AA and killing all the light force by denying them their stealth and making them firebait - all such and more in low tier simply will drive new players away from the game

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,452 posts
12,921 battles

Unless you sit in on a high level WG meeting where they discuss such things, it might be hard to know if what we players think is deliberate actually is.

That's not to say the question is wrong, just unless you know what their release plans are for the next 12 months, it's hard to say where they are focusing.

That said, my PvP recently has been mostly 9+ and I have enjoyed this - I think because it enforces my own personal opinion on the +/-1 tier argument.

I mean as a T9 I can never be beaten by more than 1 tier - this suits me.

Also, as I play a lot of US ships and I lean towards AA builds, I don't really care if their are TX CVs. They have not been a problem for me.

Dakka dakka dakka, splash.

(I have been pursuing Halsey and am on the last stage, so obviously my focus has been on US ships).

But when I have looked over my numerous mid tier ships - both tech tree and premiums - I have been very hesitant to take them into a PvP  match, mostly because of the +/-2 tier norm that we have at the moment.

I feel I have more potential for a fun game at 9+ than taking out even my Scharn for a spin.

To me this isn't a result of WG being high tier focused, and more to do with the changing meta and the +/- 2 tiers (which I have long argued against).

My go to ships used to be T7, now it's T9.

Also, Alaska 😛

[TDA]
Super Tester
4,592 posts
5,205 battles
39 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Yes

Playing T10 is about as exciting as watching paint dry.    Its just a war a of attrition with ships blobbed together just witling damage off the enemy interspersed with a CV harassing some ship that attempted to try to push.   Low tiers are at least a bit more dynamic

• Cool 3

[CLAY]
1,339 posts
8,472 battles

I agree that WG seems to be ignoring Operations for now. Focusing instead on new PvP game modes, like the stuff we saw in Space battles.

I have felt that they have also been pushing a lot of high tier ships lately, T9s and 10s. This is mostly noticeable to veteran players who remember when there were NO premium T9+ and didn’t seem likely to be any. I suppose it’s recognition by WG that a lot of players now own T10s and want to play other ships while still staying at T10?

I play a lot less mid tier now, mostly because I am focused on grinding my fleet up the tech tree, and the lowest ships I have that I still need to grind are T7s. And the fact that I play my T6s and 7s almost exclusively in operations, and only go back to random because there are currently no T8 or 9 operations.

That said, if I feel like a casual, fun game, T6 or 7 would still be my choice. Until I hit the loading screen and realise I’m bottom tier...

694 posts
5,354 battles
40 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

That words only applied to premiums anyway.

39 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Maybe they sell plenty of the existing T2 to T7, that’s why they focus on higher tier premiums, who knows?

Yes, they already are. But the most delicious baits are mostly T9 and 10. Low to mid tiers are just for collections.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,452 posts
12,921 battles
18 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

That said, if I feel like a casual, fun game, T6 or 7 would still be my choice. Until I hit the loading screen and realise I’m bottom tier...

This.

[O7]
2,484 posts
16,242 battles

Like @Max_Battle says, unless you are at their meetings, or have access to their figures, who knows what goes on. However I can't help but think that something is wrong. If all their new stuff is bringing in new players then there must also be a lot of old players leaving, and if it isn't then they should focus more on keeping the old players happy because that's obviously what their demographic wants. I've never felt so alienated and underappreciated by a development team.

[TDA]
Super Tester
384 posts
8,410 battles

T9 and 10 are probably the most balanced out of all the tiers, and therefor WG throw their time and resources there.

If a T7 (whatever) was released, who in their right mind would pay for a ship that has to go up against potentially 2 T6 CV's or even 2 T8 CV's?

Mid tier is just a nightmare, and i hope it can be addressed sooner rather than later. However taking resources away from making ships to address this issue will hit their ability to make profits from highly profitable ships.

[TLS]
1,600 posts
17,189 battles

T9/10 is most balanced because they cannot be up tiered more than +1/0 so all they have to do is make sure T9 is competitive at T10.

And this is where all their logic about "not enough players to fill out teams" start falling into pieces if MM is +/- 1 instead. Everyone and their pet now has easy access to T9s, so why do T8 need to "fill in the gaps". As I have mentioned before, narrowing your tier matching base makes it easier to balance your ships.

So much resources to spare on trivial things like that whatchamacallitmode and new ships but cannot spare resources to fix core issues. 

Right now if you ask me, their business model is stagnating rather than expanding. Losing old players but making up the deficit with new players. Not exactly a good model since businesses should attempt to keep their old customers and try to find new ones for a positive net balance. 

In the past I would play a few games daily but now I can go cold turkey for a few days playing something else more entertaining. Right now, the majority of my time is eaten by Oxygen Not Included, which if I am tired of, I still have KSP and two expansion packs followed by Rimworld. I said this before and will say it again: wows is not the only game out there that is enjoyable. FACT.

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Cool 6

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,452 posts
12,921 battles
2 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

And this is where all their logic about "not enough players to fill out teams" start falling into pieces if MM is +/- 1 instead. Everyone and their pet now has easy access to T9s, so why do T8 need to "fill in the gaps". As I have mentioned before, narrowing your tier matching base makes it easier to balance your ships.

I have used all my upvotes today. Wish I had kept one for this.

[G_R]
377 posts
14,889 battles
1 hour ago, Max_Battle said:

I have used all my upvotes today. Wish I had kept one for this.

its alright did it for u

694 posts
5,354 battles
2 hours ago, Kamanah said:

If a T7 (whatever) was released, who in their right mind would pay for a ship that has to go up against potentially 2 T6 CV's or even 2 T8 CV's?

Who cares when you can get out from the toxicity and playing PvE for a while? But I do agree with the CV, MM, etc.

===================================================================================================================================

1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

And this is where all their logic about "not enough players to fill out teams" start falling into pieces if MM is +/- 1 instead.

1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Right now if you ask me, their business model is stagnating rather than expanding. Losing old players but making up the deficit with new players. Not exactly a good model since businesses should attempt to keep their old customers and try to find new ones for a positive net balance. 

No wonder why the MM problem still exist until now.

Edited by mr_glitchy_R

[KMS-A]
Modder
379 posts
459 battles

Oh yeah, Prinz Eitel Friedrich is a thing... 

Guess that was mid-tier

Edited by Shifty_Panzer

2,274 posts
6,176 battles

People need to complain more about +2/-2 MM, not CVs.

Only unreasonable whiners and wolf criers constantly complain about CVs. 

• Cool 1

[TLS]
1,600 posts
17,189 battles
1 hour ago, Shifty_Panzer said:

Oh yeah, Prinz Eitel Friedrich is a thing... 

Prinz Everytimeon Fire.

But by golly, that sense of satisfaction as you barge into a formation blazing secondaries all over while being a huge BBQ pit.

4 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

People need to complain more about +2/-2 MM, not CVs.

Only unreasonable whiners and wolf criers constantly complain about CVs. 

One an issue with no WIP since time indefinate. The other a relatively new issue that is still a WIP.

2,274 posts
6,176 battles
14 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

One an issue with no WIP since time indefinate.

More like an issue that has been there since the beginning of the... last century

[FORCE]
231 posts
8,165 battles

WG also makes it much easier to reach high tier. If that is not a sign of this case, I don't know what else can be. I mean with the pre-access ships of the new line, some players with a ton of luck can skip to T8 immediately while at worst the players still get their hands on the T5 of the new line (T4 for CV).

[EX0]
303 posts
14,867 battles
4 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

should attempt to keep their old customers and try to find new ones

Nah..you can see they are going all out on the reverse of that strategy. Pretty normal business practice i'd say.