You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tagnbag

AI question

10 comments in this topic

[TF44]
Beta Tester
118 posts
7,259 battles

So when you fire torps your team can see them instantly, while the enemy don't see them until they hit the detection zone of that particular torp (Normal game mechanic).

Why, in co-op when I fire torps the enemy AI "see" them instantly and avoid them (seriously even at 1.4 km they can dodge), whereas i can fire torps, get killed and then watch a friendly AI suddenly turn for no reason into my torps, even though they were spotted by the enemy AI, let alone instant team spot?  

Also why is it if you are playing in a quiet period and both teams are AI, all the friendly bots die and leave you with 6 enemy's? Nice if you are in a ship you can carry and get lots of damage, sucks when you are in a ship that struggles. It seems they have very different AI programs. 

Any info/data mining been done on the AI?

1,313 posts
5,966 battles

nah, ai just have higher reaction time than human.

they have 360degree of perception and react to torpedo in fraction of millisecond.

while human take second or more (turn camera to look at torp, guessing it part and dodge.)

also, If I'm wasn't mistake, new bot ai automatically turn into ship that have torpedo for evasion. (in 1v1, if there multiple ship at once... ai become dump immediately.)

[CLAY]
1,182 posts
8,076 battles

Regarding allied AI. They are much dumber than enemy AI.

I assume that this is because of ‘balance’. Because humans are already much better players than enemy AI. (In general).

Allied AI are also quitters. If the last human on team dies, they all quit immediately, even if they had the advantage.

[ANZAC]
437 posts
14,233 battles

I know a while back bot AI regarding torpedo detection was 'balansed' to reduce  their torpedo beats ness.

But yeah, sometimes it seem like bots have perma 8km hydro.

Edited by j0e90

[MRI]
1,858 posts
10,798 battles
6 hours ago, PGM991 said:

nah, ai just have higher reaction time than human.

they have 360degree of perception and react to torpedo in fraction of millisecond.

This, basically.

It is a common misconception that AI can see your torps the instant you fire them. They don't. They just have perfect awareness and instant reaction times.

This is pretty easy to see in Ops when the AI often sails in a straight line. As long as nothing spots your torps beforehand you can often dump them on the indicator and get torp hits.

Edited by Thyaliad

[NFB]
1,160 posts
9,557 battles
11 hours ago, Tagnbag said:

Why, in co-op when I fire torps the enemy AI "see" them instantly

I play mainly coop and ops and I don't have the impression AI enemy bots see torps earlier than human players. The bot ships seem to turn at a time when a human player would have spotted them.

In general in coop or ops, don't fire torps at "second-row" targets, because ships in front of your target will spot the torps.

Also agree that allied bots are dumber than enemy bots.

[TF44]
Beta Tester
118 posts
7,259 battles

I have had bbs that dodge torps fired at 1.4 km, never seen a human do that but who knows? My main concern was friendly bots suddenly turning into my torps for no reason whatsoever (they will completely change direction and speed) even tho they should "see" the friendly torps ... (not to mention the friendly bots randomly torping in any direction for no reason)  ..  Ive fired torps, been killed seconds later and watched a friendly bot suddenly change course to enter a cap and speed up, running into my torps and I get naughty pink. Contrast that with enemy dodging torps at 1.4 km and you see the issue. 

Enemy bots = quicker than human

Friendly bots = dumber than cabbage 

[NFB]
1,160 posts
9,557 battles

10 minutes ago, Tagnbag said:

I have had bbs that dodge torps fired at 1.4 km, never seen a human do that but who knows?

Well, if that was a torp perfectly fired at BB broadside, that would be a tough one to avoid.

12 minutes ago, Tagnbag said:

My main concern was friendly bots suddenly turning into my torps for no reason whatsoever

I know what you mean, there are allied bots that make it appear like they intercept allied torps on purpose. Maybe some clever guy at WG tries to train player not to fire torps with friendly ships ahead of them, who knows? (Just to start another  conspiracy theory, hehe…)

14 minutes ago, Tagnbag said:

Yeah, I think we can all agree with that.

[TLS]
1,342 posts
16,811 battles
3 hours ago, Tagnbag said:

Just like in random. Your team = useless. Wg doesn't want to make humans feel inferior to AI.

• Cool 1

477 posts
1,474 battles

it means the bots in this game were not designed to simulate human players. Blizzard was the one did a lot of research on this field.

Edited by tsuenwan
  • Cool 1