You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Paladinum

Aigle - Yay or Nay?

36 comments in this topic

4,549 posts
8,659 battles

French DDs are incoming. I want a piece of that action. So, I guess Aigle could be a good ship to get meself familiarized with the line. Also to train a captain. With over 200k Coal available, I guess I can spare some (with the coupon of course).

I want to know if Aigle can actually teach a person about the general playstyle of the incoming French DD line.

Any Aigle expert/seasoned captain/veteran have anything to say about the ship?

Edited by Paladinum

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,601 posts
7,417 battles

How to learn FRDD playstyle.

1. Punch yourself in the nuts.

2. Fall down

3. Get up

4.  Repeat from step 1.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

4,549 posts
8,659 battles
14 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I thought it'd only be "surrender immediately at the first sight of combat"?

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
1,930 posts
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4908001

[CLAY]
2,675 posts
12,122 battles

Is Aigle even anything like the rest of the line?

I don't know the rest of the line, I don't even know Aigle that well despite owning her.

4,549 posts
8,659 battles
15 hours ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4908001

15 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Is Aigle even anything like the rest of the line?

I don't know the rest of the line, I don't even know Aigle that well despite owning her.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I know it's somewhat stupid to ask if an existing ship is similar to a line that isn't even released yet (lol)

[NFB]
1,335 posts
14,033 battles

3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Seasoned captain, I don't know. Look, I generally play ops these days. I just looked up my stats, played about 50 random games with Aigle, horrible WR.

Speed is OK, good health pool,  torps are hard-hitting - I think they have increased the torps form 7km to 8km at one stage, which really helps to stealth-torp. Concealment is not great. Guns and gun-range are good, but turrets are slow, so slow that EM would be good to have.

As someone else said, this boat may be different from the Frenchie tech tree DDs. (Similar to Gallant vs RN tech tree DD's. Gallant has a speed boost, long lasting smoke and no hydro. Tech tree RN DD's which don't have a speed boost, but hydro, and short duration smoke.)

I have used Aigle a fair bit in ops, she is a good ship for that.

4,549 posts
8,659 battles
14 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

As someone else said, this boat may be different from the Frenchie tech tree DDs. (Similar to Gallant vs RN tech tree DD's. Gallant has a speed boost, long lasting smoke and no hydro. Tech tree RN DD's which don't have a speed boost, but hydro, and short duration smoke.)

Yes, I notice the differences. But I guess she can still be a decent captain trainer?

[CLAY]
2,675 posts
12,122 battles
3 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

2. Fall down

3. Get up

4.  Repeat from step 1.

Ok, this is actually very unhelpful, as it does not in any way include actually playing the game.

It also implies that only males can play French Boats. How are Females supposed to play.

Or is this one of those "there are no girls on the internet" things?

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[CLAY]
2,675 posts
12,122 battles
Just now, Paladinum said:

Yes, I notice the differences. But I guess she can still be a decent captain trainer?

Yeah, I can't imagine that the FRDDs core captain skills will deviate that much.

[NFB]
1,335 posts
14,033 battles
27 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Yes, sure, there are quite a few T6 ops and those are very good command XP and XP earners.

[TLS]
3,959 posts
20,047 battles

No. Somewhere, somehow I may have got it for something. And never used it again.

[MRI]
3,463 posts
14,906 battles
5 hours ago, Paladinum said:

I want to know if Aigle can actually teach a person about the general playstyle of the incoming French DD line.

No idea about the French DD line. All I know is that it is gun-focused and something more along the lines of Le Terrible. Unlike the Terrible, it comes with Smoke instead of main battery reload booster.

About the Aigle, I got it when it first came out and I quite enjoyed it, though I haven't played it in ages, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Gameplay-wise I would say it is similar to the Russian DDs where you run and gun and play the support fire role. You have very poor concealment (6.8km with CE and camo) so you will almost always be outspotted if you try to contest caps. Instead what you do is support others DDs who are trying to contest caps.

Its main strengths are its high health pool (higher than most Tier 8 DDs if you have SE),  extremely high speed (it has a more powerful version of speed boost) and good main guns with very high fire chance for a DD. 

It has several major drawbacks though. One is the previously mentioned concealment, and with 7km torp range you are not going to be stealth torping unless the enemy is pushing into you. The torps do hit very hard though, but they are situational weapons at best. Its AA is non-existent plus its rudder shift is not the greatest.

The biggest drawbacks, which are thr deal breakers for most people, are its poor turret traverse and gun angles. The Aigle has 5 guns, but to use all 5 you have to more or less be broadside to the enemy. In reality, you are only going to be using 4 guns. You can try wiggle to bring the guns to bear, but horrible turret traverse means your guns will find it very hard to stay on target. EM is highly recommended. 

Overall, Aigle is solid boat if you like Russian DD style of gunboating. With the Aigle you speed tank with speed boost, then when there is too much enemy fire for you to handle, you slam the brakes and drop smoke. Then you abuse your high very chance and set everything on fire. Bonus points if you can aim and hit non-burning portions of a ship.

Edited by Thyaliad

4,549 posts
8,659 battles
15 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Yes, sure, there are quite a few T6 ops and those are very good command XP and XP earners.

Okay, more vote for getting the ship then.

@Thyaliad well you kinda went a bit too specific than I wanted, but good info nonetheless.

Anywho, would you or would you not recommend Aigle as a captain trainer.

[MRI]
3,463 posts
14,906 battles
29 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Anywho, would you or would you not recommend Aigle as a captain trainer.

Yes, since there are plenty of Tier 6 Ops for you to train your captains. It is why I like to buy Tier 6-7 Premiums - to train captains in Ops.

Plus it is PvE, so even if your captain skills are not fully optimised it wouldn't matter that mch.

• Cool 1

744 posts
19,634 battles

The Aigle is a really good boat, the torp buff was very helpful. However, if your intention is to acclimatise to the French DD line, it's probably not an ideal test subject because it has a crutch the others don't. Smoke.

[ANZAC]
516 posts
18,148 battles
18 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

2. Fall down

3. Get up

4.  Repeat from step 1.

Sounds like you're doing it wrong.

Just drop your nuts in a vice and wind up nice and tight, then you can get the full experience, leaving your hands free to play ranked, punch your self in the face, etc..

• Funny 1

213 posts
9,985 battles
12 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Yes, since there are plenty of Tier 6 Ops for you to train your captains. It is why I like to buy Tier 6-7 Premiums - to train captains in Ops.

Plus it is PvE, so even if your captain skills are not fully optimised it wouldn't matter that mch.

I know what you mean, but in practice I train new captains by running 19 point captains in T10 or T9 premiums. Elite commander XP often surfs over 500K between spend ups.

[NFB]
1,335 posts
14,033 battles

19 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Okay, more vote for getting the ship then.

Vote? Don't know about that.

The majority cannot decide if the Aigle is a good ship for *you*. It has advantages and disadvantages like any ship. How those fit in with your playstyle, you have to know yourself.

4,549 posts
8,659 battles

The majority cannot decide if the Aigle is a good ship for *you*. It has advantages and disadvantages like any ship. How those fit in with your playstyle, you have to know yourself.

This post has never been about if the ship fits me (or I fit the ship), the topic is if the ship can be a good "guide" for the French DD line and if the ship is a good captain trainer.

[NFB]
1,335 posts
14,033 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

This post has never been about if the ship fits me (or I fit the ship), the topic is if the ship can be a good "guide" for the French DD line and if the ship is a good captain trainer.

I guess considering your OP included this:

On 6/8/2019 at 10:44 PM, Paladinum said:

So, I guess Aigle could be a good ship to get meself familiarized with the line.

... this wasn't quite clear.

4,549 posts
8,659 battles

... this wasn't quite clear.

hmmmmm

Yes, but that is not the point now lol

[BLESS]
1,163 posts
10,429 battles

I sold Aigle after buying it for coal. Not worth cluttering up my port with.

It's not a bad ship**, but it's not a ship that you can play casually and do well in. You need to invest a ton of captain skills to get it into shape, and even then ... it plays as destroyer support. In games with lots of DDs you have a good chance of playing that role. In games with one or two DDs per side, you don't have the luxury.

From what I've seen of the tech tree, Aigle is something like Gallant, i.e. not really integrated thematically with the tech tree ships introduced much later.

** I'm being generous here: honestly there are any number of mid-tier destroyers I'd much rather play - Sims, Akatsuki, Jervis, Gnevy, Hatsuharu...

• Cool 1

[NFB]
1,335 posts
14,033 battles
11 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Yes, but that is not the point now lol

You are quite a comedian...

4,549 posts
8,659 battles

It may be better if I just grind a captain with French DDs instead. I want to keep the Coal...