You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
benlisquare

[0.3.0] MOD: Chinese/Japanese fonts for English WoWS client

24 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

EDIT 2016-10-17: This mod is now depreciated. There is a new version of this mod, which can be found here.

Do you:

• play with the English version game client
  • prefer playing the game in English
  • understand either Chinese, Japanese, or both
  • wish to understand what your Chinese/Japanese teammates are saying, instead of seeing meaningless boxes?

Now you can play the game in English, and have Chinese/Japanese font support.

Download link: http://a.pomf.se/zthzqx.zip

Installation instructions: Extract the archive directly into your "World_of_Warships" directory.

Example before/after screenshot: (Sorry, this was the only example I had on hand at the moment, had to censor some profanity. I don't get a lot of opportunities to take screenshots)

PyWwc1v.jpg

Known issues: Roman letters featuring macrons (for example "Kaigun Chūi") look stupid. For example:

Gc6doNb.jpg

Edited by benlisquare

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Doesn't appaer that it is popular in China unless they have their own server. 

China has its own WoWS server, run by KongZhong. It is currently accepting beta tester invites. Due to Chinese government laws and regulations, foreign companies are not allowed to directly operate within China, which is why Wargaming needs to rely on an intermediary middleman company like KongZhong to publish their games. The Chinese WoT server is also operated by KongZhong, and you can buy golden Type 59s over there.

WoWS ASIA has plenty of Chinese-language speakers from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia. Hence why the WoWS ASIA forums have a dedicated Chinese discussion section, and why the game itself has a Chinese-language client locale.

Edited by benlisquare

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

^

Nah actually China has cloned WoWS, they even had sub in it.

I'm going to have to ask for source, otherwise I'm calling BS on that. Post a URL, or at least a screenshot image. No forum rumours or anything else that's unreliable.

See this URL?

http://wows.kongzhong.com/ztm/AT0316/index.html

This is the official WoWS server in China. You can't really argue that it isn't official either, because its the same company that runs WoT in China.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Servers

Edited by benlisquare

Beta Tester
142 posts
484 battles

If I ever get the game, rest assured I'll be looking at getting this. I've been wanting something like this for WoT for ages.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

There's no mod, but there's a way to do it manually 

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/6022-asian-language-mods/

WoWS uses a slightly different mechanism for in-game fonts to WoT.

If you do the usual WoT method, you'll end up like this:

kQIzjRi.jpg

1ZBrQSo.jpg

2ob8AAU.jpg

AkQC3cD.jpg

LSN91pk.jpg

Alas, the fruits of experimentation.

Beta Tester
282 posts
12 battles

WoWS uses a slightly different mechanism for in-game fonts to WoT.

If you do the usual WoT method, you'll end up like this:

He was asking if there was a method to do the same with WoT :|

But thanks anyways for testing it in WoWS :honoring:

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

Saved this page for when I get a chance to play(bleh, not begging, just for future ref, and giving it a thumbs up) Rather have the characters rather then the blocks upon blocks like in SC

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

someone should make a mod that uses google translate to translate words said in other languages into english because that would be hilarious.

Someone started off a project like this for WoT. They introduced a mechanism which automatically translated player chat messages between languages using Google Translate. However, we only got a proof-of-concept, and it was never properly completed.

There's a thread somewhere in the WoT ASIA forums, but it's going to be a pain for me to go looking for it. If I remember properly, I was the OP of that thread, the guy experimenting with the project replied in the thread with screenshots of his work, and it was in 2012 or 2013.

Edited by benlisquare

Beta Tester
36 posts
941 battles

First of all thank you for your work this is a very handy mod for the Asia server.

I have to agree with Kayneth tho that changing the default font is quite visually unpleasant. I noticed that you changed the default font in fontconfig to Tahoma and deleting that file makes the game looks exactly like the screenshots you posted.

So my question - is it possible to maintain your mod functionality while reverting the default font back to whatever it is? Or is the Tahoma font a must in order for us to read Chinese and Japanese ingame?

Beta Tester
159 posts
8,919 battles

nice mod, but this game still dont allow people to type chinese in the game. u have to alt+tab to type in somewhere else and paste it in to the game. by the way.. u should really choose a better screenshot.for the reason u know.

i really want to join the NA server sometimes but i already speed a lots of money in the asia server... there are too many chinese who dont understand english in the asia server..

Edited by Kerbal94

Beta Tester
159 posts
8,919 battles

^

Nah actually China has cloned WoWS, they even had sub in it.

I'm going to have to ask for source, otherwise I'm calling BS on that. Post a URL, or at least a screenshot image. No forum rumours or anything else that's unreliable.

See this URL?

http://wows.kongzhong.com/ztm/AT0316/index.html

This is the official WoWS server in China. You can't really argue that it isn't official either, because its the same company that runs WoT in China.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Servers

aactually, Moesugi was talking about the game 海战世界, which has submarine. http://www.hz.changyou.com/

1 post
829 battles

hello i download the ur link and do as u say, but the path.xml is not found, i try to replace back the original path that i search on the internet cos i didnt make a backup for it and it end up in resources.xml not found, so i end up re-download the game, and the current path.xml is a different thing from urs, maybe is wargaming new file sistem, so is there a new way to use ur mod?

1 post
195 battles

Ok for those who still wish to use this mod, very simple way for this to work with the current version, copy the contents and ONLY the contents of the 0.3.0 folder inside res_mods. And paste it inside the current version folder inside your actual res_mods folder, e.g. 0.5.11.1 for me at the moment.