Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
David_O_neill

Ranked Battles Tier 10 with cv's

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
859 posts
892 battles
6 minutes ago, David_O_neill said:

Great idea wow's, the camping is bad enough now. Can you imagine whats its going to be like in ranked.

.....That's great for CV's. Just look at all that free real estate.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles

yes. even harder AA humping + steamrolls, and whichever fool tries to go flank alone get's eaten alive

113 posts
5,175 battles

yes camping is bad. now it's worse.
because Hakuryu's  AP dive bomber like camper

[CLAY]
3,230 posts
14,185 battles

I’ll reserve judgement until I see it, but my initial thought with CVs in ranked was, with only 7 ships per side, is there really enough AA to properly defend against CV attacks? Given that a popular tactic in the past has been for one or two ships to either outflank or try to defend another area.

Does anyone remember ranked with CVs before 0.8.0?

I seem to recall seeing CVs in ranked was more common than random, but still not common enough to be annoying.

Or maybe I’ve just forgotten.

But I also recall ranked consisting mostly of Yamato’s.

[TLS]
4,857 posts
21,287 battles

Welp, the primary issue with ranked was/is the "saving star" tactic. People don't play to win, but rather try to "save that star". That is what made for boring play. And this is set to continue. Defeat should mean defeat, no bonuses.

IIRC, old cv ranked was heavily dependent if your team got the unicum CV, although with the correct ship and loadout, you still stood a chance. Remember, new cv cannot effectively carry a game if team loses too many surface ships. And to preempt things, in the last few seasons, dds in ranked were rare because of 'save the star' tactic. DDs just didn't earn enough xp.

• Cool 5

[XSA]
440 posts
15,715 battles
1 hour ago, David_O_neill said:

Great idea wow's, the camping is bad enough now. Can you imagine whats its going to be like in ranked.

going to see CV + RN/USN cruisers only in ranked battle:cap_rambo:

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,892 posts
8,769 battles
14 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I’ll reserve judgement until I see it, but my initial thought with CVs in ranked was, with only 7 ships per side, is there really enough AA to properly defend against CV attacks? Given that a popular tactic in the past has been for one or two ships to either outflank or try to defend another area.

Does anyone remember ranked with CVs before 0.8.0?

I seem to recall seeing CVs in ranked was more common than random, but still not common enough to be annoying.

Or maybe I’ve just forgotten.

But I also recall ranked consisting mostly of Yamato’s.

I cant remember them being a choice because they couldn't influence the battle.  Now the team with a good CV player  will control the map.   I cant see DD's being useful at any point in the battle now.  Looking at the rules there are no limits on any classes either so the teams with be heavy with DFAA ships.   

The only good thing I read is the rentals are only available to players with a T8 ship.

This is going to be a salty season

[BLESS]
1,461 posts
12,809 battles

It might work. The main concern is that CVs even after all the nerfs still have an outsized influence on the game outcome since they control vision. In other words, is it still possible to win if the enemy CV is better than yours? The other thing is how many T10 ships will be viable in that meta. Pretty sure Zao won't be, Z-52 and Shima, questionable. Yamato? Iffy. Meaning the number of players with the desire to play and the right ships in port to do so may likely be too low for reasonable MM wait times.

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,892 posts
8,769 battles
10 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

The other thing is how many T10 ships will be viable in that meta

I don't think any DD will play a part in the early game and definitely wont flank/scout.   With only 7 per team you are going to be heavily reliant on AA cruisers and the team will move as a group.  Its going to be like a mini T10 random game.  First ship to break rank and move will die.

[CLAY]
3,230 posts
14,185 battles
3 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I don't think any DD will play a part in the early game and definitely wont flank/scout.   With only 7 per team you are going to be heavily reliant on AA cruisers and the team will move as a group.  Its going to be like a mini T10 random game.  First ship to break rank and move will die.

That's what I'm afraid of. Current meta is stay together. That's the only way to counter CVs.

That doesn't mean deathball, but a ship that moves too far away from the fleet, regardless of AA ability, can and will be picked off. While as before the rework, certain AA ships could easily shred entire squadrons. Though lone BBs and DDs were still easy pickings.

Alpha Tester
2,289 posts
8,802 battles
2 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

This is going to be a salty season

Image result for married to the sea salt

• Funny 4

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,892 posts
8,769 battles
56 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

That's what I'm afraid of. Current meta is stay together. That's the only way to counter CVs.

That doesn't mean deathball, but a ship that moves too far away from the fleet, regardless of AA ability, can and will be picked off. While as before the rework, certain AA ships could easily shred entire squadrons. Though lone BBs and DDs were still easy pickings.

The one saving grace is that all players are a minimum T8 (apart from the odd new player that buys a T8 premium) and understand what CVs are capable of in a high tier game.

[MRI]
3,791 posts
16,857 battles

Hard to say really how things will turn out.

The only prior experience we can draw from is that short test when CVs were allowed into Clan Battles.

Imo a lot of it depends on the maps and on how people play.

I foresee a lot of AA focused ships - Grozovois and Gearings for DDs, Woosters and Minos for cruisers, Montanas for BBs, etc.

But whatever happens, it is going to be interesting. :Smile_popcorn:

[TLS]
4,857 posts
21,287 battles
17 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

and on how people play.

This. Is. What. Dooms. It. All.

I'm just going to sit back, enjoy the misery and then play a few games in the last weeks just to get enough stars for next season.

Good luck to all the masochists out there.

• Cool 1

[NCOTS]
909 posts
10,798 battles

Atleast those damage farming camper BBabys will be useless now, so thats a plus. It was so annoying to see team full of Musashi and JBs last season.

Now it will be pretty much guaranteed that CV gets the highest dmg done as they will be the last ones to stay alive. Atleast players may consider doing some form of teamwork this time... Overall it seems I'll be enjoying the **** out of this season.:cap_haloween:

Terrible things about this season will be the overall super short duration of he season, addition of Rentals and long que times for CVs

Edited by _TAMAL_

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,158 posts
23,917 battles

*Insert shrug gif*

But seriously, I'm sure peoples' experiences will get posted here.

[SMOKE]
2,504 posts
18,035 battles
1 hour ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Atleast those damage farming camper BBabys will be useless now, so thats a plus. It was so annoying to see team full of Musashi and JBs last season.

Now it will be pretty much guaranteed that CV gets the highest dmg done as they will be the last ones to stay alive. Atleast players may consider doing some form of teamwork this time... Overall it seems I'll be enjoying the **** out of this season.:cap_haloween:

Terrible things about this season will be the overall super short duration of he season, addition of Rentals and long que times for CVs

at least last season we do not get to see any single ship or ship type that can dominate or over ride a single game / battle as such ; I play DD last season and had no issue going to Rank 10 then I quit , too long a waiting time to get into a game , might as well play Random ; I can see similar for CV this season, the waiting time. And NO I won;t be playing the current game meta had made it that DD and CL simply cannot perform and that is not even a matte of personal skill or anything .. its the ranging and game mechanism that exclude the ships and ship type ..

746 posts
19,634 battles

I'd reserve judgement. We had CV's in a 7 vs 7 format for the King of the Tasman tournament and it was in no way a deal breaker. In fact, I think it made the gameplay far more interesting.

That was tier 8 however, it may be different at tier 10.

• Cool 2

5,692 posts
9,502 battles

This makes me regret not grinding for Montypython (not really lol). Even as she was one of the two first T10 BBs in the game, she is still a monster against most things up to now.

Edited by Paladinum

[NCOTS]
909 posts
10,798 battles
2 hours ago, Mechfori said:

at least last season we do not get to see any single ship or ship type that can dominate or over ride a single game / battle as such ; I play DD last season and had no issue going to Rank 10 then I quit , too long a waiting time to get into a game , might as well play Random ; I can see similar for CV this season, the waiting time. And NO I won;t be playing the current game meta had made it that DD and CL simply cannot perform and that is not even a matte of personal skill or anything .. its the ranging and game mechanism that exclude the ships and ship type ..

I also played DD last season, went to R5 and stopped playing. Played Juteland upto R8 then bought Black with steel and continued to R5, to be exact. 

It was so annoying to carry those dumb BB players that farm dmg all day. Nothing is worse than seeing a ship class doing nothing worth of teamplay and still leading the scoreboard. Atleast now with CVs I can rest assured that the broken rewarding system of Ranked wont bother me....:cap_cool:

Edited by _TAMAL_

Sign in to follow this