Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Actual proper real legit and totally genuine CV question.

22 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,997 posts
29,466 battles

Not even clerkabert.

If you have been playing CV's lately, what CV's have you played and what has worked for you (or has just been fun).

Also, what advice would you have for someone like me who sold/traded in all his CV's a few months ago but who is now wondering if its worth trying at least one line?

What premium CV's are worth it (if any)?

Can I please ask that haters participate in one of the many hate threads that already exist? I'd just really like to hear from people who have been enjoying CVs lately and/or have been having some success.

(Except @AntifoulAwl - you can make ONE snarky comment but ONLY ONE! Thank you.)

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,817 posts
29,639 battles
1 hour ago, Max_Battle said:

Not even clerkabert.

If you have been playing CV's lately, what CV's have you played and what has worked for you (or has just been fun).

Also, what advice would you have for someone like me who sold/traded in all his CV's a few months ago but who is now wondering if its worth trying at least one line?

What premium CV's are worth it (if any)?

Can I please ask that haters participate in one of the many hate threads that already exist? I'd just really like to hear from people who have been enjoying CVs lately and/or have been having some success.

(Except @AntifoulAwl - you can make ONE snarky comment but ONLY ONE! Thank you.)

if you want to learn CVs then go for USN for PTFO by far,  right now it is extremely versatile with all 3 plane types being somewhat effective across all classes , especially after you unlock the TITS with lex, those things can get you 7-8k per plane strike, that's almost at the level of a T6 DB strike

if you really really really want to remove cruisers and espically piss on people island camping with AA CAs thinking they are safe, get the IJN line to show them that AA means nothing and have them cry on the forums about "waaa CVs OP waaaa"

and RNCV is excellent for farming, but you need a long game for it since most of the damage it gets is through DOT, but if you are proficient in farming then you'll enjoy the flying mongqueror line

as for premium CVs... i suggest kaga or enterprise because they are much more forgiving to play to new players, but in good hands a saipan would be better

and graf zep is a walking, breathing 9 month failed abortion scheme failure meme where the child came out scarred and disfigured, brainfarted and lame, do NOT get it

Edited by drakon233
  • Cool 2

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,997 posts
29,466 battles
6 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

and graf zep is a walking, breathing 9 month failed abortion scheme failure meme where the child came out scarred and disfigured, do NOT get it

horrified-baby-face.jpg

• Funny 3

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,997 posts
29,466 battles
7 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

but if you really really really want to remove cruisers and espically piss on people island camping with AA CAs thinking they are safe, get the IJN line to show them that AA means nothing and have them cry on the forums about "waaa CVs OP waaaa"

I would lean toward USN CV if I wanted to try again, but why are IJN CV good at this?

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,817 posts
29,639 battles
On 5/20/2019 at 12:47 PM, Max_Battle said:

I would lean toward USN CV if I wanted to try again, but why are IJN CV good at this?

AP DB, with hakuryu if you land 3/3 APDBs on target with a strike, that's 25500 health shaved off of a CA/CL or even a BB. this alpha strike is extremely powerful when you abuse the people who still dont realize that AA dosnt work behind islands because a good drop will cripple them (citadel damage btw, so not even healable lmao)

BUT 

AP DB is hard to aim and very inconsistent, you will often miss or get bounces or a 3k normal pen for one drop. which is very frustrateing because you might have spent more than 2 min trying to set up for a good drop because the APDB's reticle is very long and narrow, you almost always have to approach bow or stern in if you want good damage.

and IJN planes are made from paper mache soaked in the ghostly gasoline that the yamato's wasted and the tears of the emperor, so on a decent~ish AA target you can expect to get 1 full drop, and another full drop if you are lucky, but almost never a third. 

also, APDBs does [word removed] all against DDs, IJN rockets are meh at best, and the only people who would get hit by IJN TBs in DDs are probably legally blind, so if you need to kill a DD, you wont.

meanwhile with USN 1000lb phat boi DBs, you cant get consistent 10k drops per pass+ fire, the rockets and TBs are both good, so very good consistency 

Prohibited word. Post edited, user warned.

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,997 posts
29,466 battles
1 minute ago, drakon233 said:

AP DB, with hakuryu if you land 3/3 APDBs on target with a strike, that's 25500 health shaved off of a CA/CL or even a BB. this alpha strike is extremely powerful when you abuse the people who still dont realize that AA dosnt work behind islands because a good drop will cripple them (citadel damage btw, so not even healable)" 

BUT 

AP DB is hard to aim and very inconsistent, you will often miss or get bounces or a 3k normal pen for one drop. which is very frustrateing because you might have spent more than 2 min trying to set up for a good drop because the APDB's reticle is very long and narrow, you almost always have to approach bow or stern in if you want good damage. and IJN planes are made from paper mache soaked in the ghostly gasoline that the yamato's wasted and the tears of the emperor, so on a decent~ish AA target you can expect to get 1 full drop, and another full drop if you are lucky, but almost never a third 

meanwhile with USN 1000lb phat boi DBs, you cant get consistent 10k drops per pass+ fire, the rockets and TBs are both good, so very good consistency 

K.

Think I would go USN CV then - IF I do decide to try CV again. Sounds like they are good all rounder from what you are saying?

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,817 posts
29,639 battles
1 minute ago, Max_Battle said:

K.

Think I would go USN CV then - IF I do decide to try CV again. Sounds like they are good all rounder from what you are saying?

USN excellent all around and as starters for CVs since all three squads are useable against almost all classes, so you dont need to worry about running out of a critical plane type because you have 2 more you can pick from, IJN is very tactical on where you need to position and demanding in mechanical skill due to the cons i just listed above, and RNCV needs very good map awareness and stupid meatshields teammates that let you farm effectively

Edited by drakon233
  • Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,817 posts
29,639 battles

and people say that i bully on the forums

see, even i can be nice and helpful

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[TLS]
5,518 posts
22,365 battles
21 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

AP DB is hard to aim and very inconsistent, you will often miss or get bounces or a 3k normal pen for one drop. which is very frustrateing because you might have spent more than 2 min trying to set up for a good drop because the APDB's reticle is very long and narrow, you almost always have to approach bow or stern in if you want good damage.

This one is practice, practice, practice, practice. AND a generous helping of luck and prayers to the emperor will be good as well.

[TF44]
585 posts
26,228 battles
3 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

My first few picks for daily win would be CVs. T8 RN and IJN. RN worked for me. I enjoy carpet bombing surface pheasants. If i feel a bit M for the day i'll roll out as surface pheasant.

3 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Checkout PTS. 0.84 flak seems even deadlier in there at the moment. Rejoice!

6,150 posts
10,628 battles
15 hours ago, drakon233 said:

and people say that i bully on the forums

see, even i can be nice and helpful

*proceed to bully people in the game*

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,817 posts
29,639 battles
8 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

*proceed to bully people in the game*

your notification poped up just as i finished this:Smile-_tongue:

this was a 7v11 BTW, we lost 5 ppl in 8 minutes

shot-19_05.20_12_36.23-0735.thumb.jpg.cf7bba0e0f8ca7c6a78cc6ab8690dd35.jpgshot-19_05.20_12_36.28-0816.thumb.jpg.45021cf480e84b00bf8f226245a4aa86.jpgshot-19_05.20_12_36.34-0758.thumb.jpg.5e4a855ff3b97154eba35fb0ebb913c5.jpgshot-19_05.20_12_36.19-0889.thumb.jpg.c6c42acd09346fad826138452556df83.jpg

“you have been complimented"
"you have been reported twice"

shot-19_05.20_12_48.22-0426.thumb.jpg.b5e391a69681300321d9a3350d6fdd6e.jpg

life of a CV player in a nutshell

Edited by drakon233

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
6,138 posts
10,508 battles

I got the Ent, Saipan and GZ in the crates and hands and the GZ is hands down the biggest disappointment I've ever had in the game.  So much meme potential lost since 0.8.0

[ZA]
[ZA]
466 posts
10,711 battles
28 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I got the Ent, Saipan and GZ in the crates and hands and the GZ is hands down the biggest disappointment I've ever had in the game.  So much meme potential lost since 0.8.0

I find T8 tech tree CV just as good as premiums. Everything has chance to winning, it all depends on players skills and MM.

So, I think they are pretty well balanced.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,817 posts
29,639 battles
5 minutes ago, sunlo2013 said:

I find T8 tech tree CV just as good as premiums. Everything has chance to winning, it all depends on players skills and MM.

skk

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,590 posts
12,978 battles
59 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

the GZ is hands down the biggest disappointment I've ever had in the game.

You think it's disappointing now - just wait till it's speed is decimated in the next patch!  It's got a massive nerf incoming.  The DB's are being buffed though, but it's not even going to come close to compensating.

To the OP, as others have said, US CV's are great to learn on - simplest mechanics and they are good all rounders.  Skip the T4 and start on the T6, you'll learn more there.

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
6,138 posts
10,508 battles
52 minutes ago, sunlo2013 said:

The enterprise is a sureefire winner now, but yes, the tech tree T8s are very good

19 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

You think it's disappointing now - just wait till it's speed is decimated in the next patch!  It's got a massive nerf incoming.  The DB's are being buffed though, but it's not even going to come close to compensating.

Yeap.  The TB speed is what saves it from being totally disappointing lol.

[MRI]
4,143 posts
18,750 battles

Basically what Drakon said. The USN CV line is great for beginners, so go up that line first.

Premium-wise Kaga and Enterprise are very good, plus they are a bit more forgiving for newbies. Kaga retains her extremely large plane reserve from the RTS days, while Big E has high plane regeneration rate so you can afford to make small mistakes here and there as long as you don't go full potato and get a squadron wiped.

I don't have Saipan so I can't really comment but from what I have seen it is a pretty solid CV if you know how to conserve your planes.

Graf Zeppelin is extremely bad right now. Apart from the meme secondaries, its only real strength is its extremely fast bombers (whose speed is getting nerfed next patch). Its fighters are pretty meh (the rockets are basically mini-Tiny Tims, which imo are neither here nor there). The AP bombers are more or less useless (they are getting buffed next patch, but its effectiveness remains to be seen). The torpedo bombers are the only thing that is good, thanks to their high speed allowing for some boom-and-zoom tactics against BBs, but even that is uncertain in the next patch onward. I suggest avoiding the GZ for the time being.

2 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Agreed, the GZ has been very disappointing. I bought a GZ recently courtesy of a 30% discount coupon, and even then I would say it is not worth the money.  It is one of the few Premiums where I kinda regret my purchase. On the bright side, at least I know how to counter them better, not that GZ needed much countering to begin with lol. :Smile-_tongue:

Alpha Tester
2,289 posts
8,802 battles
8 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

-my one allowable snarky comment is as follows...

and graf zep is a walking, breathing 9 month failed abortion scheme failure meme where the child came out scarred and disfigured, do NOT get it

6 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

horrified-baby-face.jpg

The would have been much more effective had you used the baby from the film Eraserhead.

Thank you. :Smile_great:

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,997 posts
29,466 battles
3 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

The would have been much more effective had you used the baby from the film Eraserhead.

I watched that movie years ago in an... "altered state"...

It damaged me.

That movie caused psychological damage to my brain pan.

[ARIS]
909 posts
10,943 battles

I'll just add a few things regarding the "Grind" :

The higher you go in terms of tier, the easier it is to play.

Free xp the T4 right away. It is absolutely zero worth playing that tier. T6 is where you should start.

You can learn CV quite well in T6. However, the maps are quite small and dds will make your life miserable. Also you dont have heal on TBs so high tier AA can be hard to manage. So what I would suggest(in the case where you are struggling to grind) is : play them in Operations. CVs are mind bogglingly OP in Operations....you can farm upto 200k per match and 1.5-2k base exp is ez. 

Now, T8 is where the main challange begins and right now that is the best tier to learn CVs IMO. From here on you need to follow the suggestion of experts and hone your skills. For that you can watch Gaishu's stream or look into replays of good players.

After a long yet enjoyable grind, you'll find yourself in the T10... and trust me, this is where you'll have the most fun. I wont go into details but you already know what a good top tier CV can do to poor surface dwellers:Smile_trollface:

In terms of what line to choose :

I would say either Hakuryu or Midway. Audacious takes a lot of time to have any impact on the game so it will be harder for you to carry. I havent played Midway, but Hak, oh hell yeah...that thing is a freakin Beast:cap_haloween:

Shokaku was also genuinely good. I thoroughly enjoyed the grind.

Sign in to follow this