You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MissMeMiss

Tutorial T6 DD vs T8 CV Rocket Bomber ?

25 comments in this topic

[HKACC]
392 posts
4,597 battles

Hello ... I'm a returnee after 8~9 months hiatus. Only comeback because WG give people like me 2 weeks free Premium Days. Why not, good deal for my gaming time. With this chance, I want to grind my T6 ships. Germany, Soviet, Pan Asia & British for better XP gains, especially for my T6 DDs. I know that T6 in T8 match are terrifying, but in the past, I still manage to help the team even though rare to make great deal of damage. Now, with the new CV rebuild, when playing my T6 DD, I'm no longer able to do anything except became cannon fodder for the T8 CV and give them a great time and joyful ride. But what about me ?

I want to cap, but T8 CV Rocket Bomber definitely already inside the circle looking for any DD. Enemy DD definitely already close to my position and enemy CA already in position to support DD's duel for Cap point. If I push, 2~4 times Rocket Bomber assault will definitely destroy me, let alone enemy DD and CA also showering me already with love. Now, I really don't know anymore how to leveling up my DD. The least I could do in here is accompanying teammate CA & BB. But DD cannon range is super short, so I just like spectator in this match. And there also people who angry with me for being useless, I don't blame them, I do useless ... but it's the only way if I want to be alive for the rest of the match, hoping to land some hits, even this still 50-50% chance, depend how the match goes.

So please, help me learn how to grind my T6 DD when almost every matchmaking pick me in T6~T8 battle with at least against 1 T8 CV. Do you have tutorial, WG Developer, Staff & Moderator, Elite players to play T6 DD against T8 CV other than being chicken the whole match and accept little XP ?

Or should I just forget it and play my T8 US & IJN ships instead ? ... because this was a deliberate design by WG to teach lower tier ship isn't for Newbie, but for people who love to be masochist, bullied, oppressed & cucked ?

:. Thanks for reading ... I'll wait your positive, negative, comedy, satire, salty, sarcastic, critic & bragging replies ... or maybe locked, as it's already over discussed.

[LNA]
2,093 posts
15,375 battles
1 minute ago, MissMeMiss said:

Hello ... I'm a returnee after 8~9 months hiatus. Only comeback because WG give people like me 2 weeks free Premium Days. Why not, good deal for my gaming time. With this chance, I want to grind my T6 ships. Germany, Soviet, Pan Asia & British for better XP gains, especially for my T6 DDs. I know that T6 in T8 match are terrifying, but in the past, I still manage to help the team even though rare to make great deal of damage. Now, with the new CV rebuild, when playing my T6 DD, I'm no longer able to do anything except became cannon fodder for the T8 CV and give them a great time and joyful ride. But what about me ?

I want to cap, but T8 CV Rocket Bomber definitely already inside the circle looking for any DD. Enemy DD definitely already close to my position and enemy CA already in position to support DD's duel for Cap point. If I push, 2~4 times Rocket Bomber assault will definitely destroy me, let alone enemy DD and CA also showering me already with love. Now, I really don't know anymore how to leveling up my DD. The least I could do in here is accompanying teammate CA & BB. But DD cannon range is super short, so I just like spectator in this match. And there also people who angry with me for being useless, I don't blame them, I do useless ... but it's the only way if I want to be alive for the rest of the match, hoping to land some hits, even this still 50-50% chance, depend how the match goes.

So please, help me learn how to grind my T6 DD when almost every matchmaking pick me in T6~T8 battle with at least against 1 T8 CV. Do you have tutorial, WG Developer, Staff & Moderator, Elite players to play T6 DD against T8 CV other than being chicken the whole match and accept little XP ?

Or should I just forget it and play my T8 US & IJN ships instead ? ... because this was a deliberate design by WG to teach lower tier ship isn't for Newbie, but for people who love to be masochist, bullied, oppressed & cucked ?

:. Thanks for reading ... I'll wait your positive, negative, comedy, satire, salty, sarcastic, critic & bragging replies ... or maybe locked, as it's already over discussed.

Just don't cheap out on the smoke.

Next patch will neft CV somewhat so theres goof news for you.

Anyway , just pop smoke , hide in an uncontested cap and turn off AA. Once done capping stick to friendlies. If enemy dd is capping , dont bother contest.

Capping exp should be enough even if you did no damage. You really want to get to end game alive when ships scatter and you get a chance to revenge kill CV by sneaking.

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,559 battles
42 minutes ago, MissMeMiss said:

let me just do this

(shameless self plug)

on the first page i made a tutorial about dealing with planes in DD, hope that can help you, cheers

• Cool 1

5,688 posts
9,498 battles
20 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Anyway , just pop smoke , hide in an uncontested cap and turn off AA.

You can turn on AA in smoke though. In smoke AA and secondary guns won't reveal you.

[CLAY]
3,226 posts
14,185 battles

Play operations for T6 grinding. Killer Whale(?) starts today.

[LNA]
2,093 posts
15,375 battles
4 hours ago, Paladinum said:

You can turn on AA in smoke though. In smoke AA and secondary guns won't reveal you.

I can guess where you are in a smoke if you pop AA up figuratively.

And i don't recommend it if the planes are UK level bomber , their widespread make it fairly easy to bomb dd hiding if he give you a hint where he is through AA tracers.

• Cool 1

[HKACC]
392 posts
4,597 battles

In the past, I have all nation ships (non-premium) just because I have to know by myself each ship capability. With that, I know how to dealt if I'm against that ship. But since CV overhaul, it's removed and replaced with compensation. Because I saw that big cash as a good opportunity to increase all my T7 IJN & USN into T8 since they're waiting to be upgraded but no money before, then I spent it all for it. But alas, I don't have money to buy CV now and experience myself. So nothing can be done but to rely on another people experience. Thanks for your replies, I hope it will give me a new sight on this case.

Popping smoke and turning off AA do 'turning off' the enemy CV "hunger" to kill me, especially if there's another teammate close to my vicinity. They often impatient and just charge available targets. Only a rare case, a CV player very dedicate and waiting the smoke to be vaporized and continue harassing me. Or when near end game where my DD really making trouble by doing pincer maneuver or spotting enemy behind island, and enemy CV saw it's disadvantage their teammate.

[MRI]
3,791 posts
16,857 battles
3 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

I can guess where you are in a smoke if you pop AA up figuratively.

You can?

Because on my game it appears that the AA tracers come from everywhere in the smoke. And judging from the amount of times I left AA on in smoke and had CVs totally miss me, others are probably experiencing the same thing.

I am not sure if it is a weird glitch or bug due to one's graphical settings because it seems this random AA tracer does not affect everybody, based on what I have read elsewhere. :cap_hmm:

When my CV hits people in smoke it is because of their shell fire and last known position.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,559 battles
24 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

You can?

Because on my game it appears that the AA tracers come from everywhere in the smoke. And judging from the amount of times I left AA on in smoke and had CVs totally miss me, others are probably experiencing the same thing.

I am not sure if it is a weird glitch or bug due to one's graphical settings because it seems this random AA tracer does not affect everybody, based on what I have read elsewhere. :cap_hmm:

When my CV hits people in smoke it is because of their shell fire and last known position.

it's noticable where the AA is originating from if you are doing a run of DBs or TBs, since you have a bit of time to adjust your aim and really look for it. rockets are harder since you overshoot much easier and course correction is iffy at best 

Edited by drakon233

[ZA]
[ZA]
466 posts
10,711 battles

As rule of thumb, never stay stationary in smoke, keep yourself moving give you mobility to dodge unexpected things.

• Cool 1

[LNA]
2,093 posts
15,375 battles
51 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

You can?

If you turn on firing animation full , the AA tracers can be traced back to its source , which give you a pretty good idea where to bomb or torp him if he isn't moving.

Moving in smoke will fool AA tracer tracking by the CV due to how slow the animation change.

[MRI]
3,791 posts
16,857 battles

Hmmm looks like I need to do some testing when I get back.

I remember when the CV rework was first released the AA tracers in smoke were extremely accurate. Then somewhere along the line it was made to be completely random. Maybe WG dialed it back a bit without me noticing.

33 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Moving in smoke will fool AA tracer tracking by the CV due to how slow the animation change.

Maybe that's why I never get hit in smoke even with AA on. :Smile-_tongue:

[HKACC]
392 posts
4,597 battles

Adding, also if one using AA tracer mods, it would be more & more visible.
But since this discussion focus on T6 DD, which their AA aren't that damaging, would be more safe if I just turn it off.

I do experience myself when T8 USN & IJN DD's AA quite make a small deal, as I killed one or 2 planes per it's series of attacks.
But again, not worth it for T6 DD, especially when against planes of T8 CV.

4 hours ago, sunlo2013 said:

As rule of thumb, never stay stationary in smoke, keep yourself moving give you mobility to dodge unexpected things.

You're right, sometime the CV just forcing it even without I'm provoking with AA turned off. Especially in the later game when my DD do making a lot of trouble by spotting or spam torpedo to their team.

Edited by MissMeMiss

[TLS]
4,850 posts
21,287 battles

Learn to play CV in ops. Then take those lessons about how difficult it is for CV to aim and then use it against the CV.

• Cool 1

[LNA]
2,093 posts
15,375 battles
10 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Learn to play CV in ops. Then take those lessons about how difficult it is for CV to aim and then use it against the CV.

Bots are better than humans at dodging torps :Smile_hiding:.

[MRI]
3,791 posts
16,857 battles
35 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Bot style - Turn to avoid torps

Human style - Throw hands up in resignation, sail in straight line, get hit by torp, then complain on Internet about CV OP

If there would ever be a robot war, humanity is doomed I tell ya. :Smile_trollface:

[TLS]
4,850 posts
21,287 battles
53 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

That is a very sad and real fact. Like WTF are you kidding me dodging.

So then... learn from the bot how to torpedobeat?

22 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Bot style - Turn to avoid torps

Human style - Throw hands up in resignation, sail in straight line, get hit by torp, then complain on Internet about CV OP

If there would ever be a robot war, humanity is doomed I tell ya. :Smile_trollface:

I'm joining the Borg. Resistance is Futile.

[BLESS]
1,460 posts
12,804 battles
21 hours ago, MissMeMiss said:

Based on my experience with Gnevy, Icarus, and Hatsuharu, the only T6 destroyers I play at the moment, I suppose my first comment is I don't find I'm going up against T8 CVs all that often. But I don't really pay attention to that since to my mind it does not matter. The worst case scenario is 2 CVs of any stripe, since it just means so many more planes in the sky. It's not like any of those DDs are going to shooting down those planes spotting me, though Hatsu can down a few T6 planes from time to time. The main defense is smoke, and working with CV impatience. If they can't get you on the first or second try they usually go find some easier target to damage farm. And CVs are usually only out striking DDs at the beginning of the match, or at the end when the DD is threatening them directly. So learn to make yourself scarce early on, and stick to well-defended airspace throughout, doubly so if your smoke is on cooldown.

I would say that the main thing is to obey the golden rule "noyolo". Stay close to other ships, no capping without support, and strike only when given a safe opportunity.

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 1

[LNA]
2,093 posts
15,375 battles
19 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

That is a very sad and real fact. Like WTF are you kidding me dodging.

So then... learn from the bot how to torpedobeat?

I'm joining the Borg. Resistance is Futile.

I'm also amazed that there would be that one bot that is better than half my team combined.

WG is hiding something fishy about their AI :cap_haloween:.

Edited by legionary2099

37 posts
1,628 battles

Hi there,

I am an above average DD player on two servers. My advice to you is two pronged. You either stop playing because the game is horrible right now, or you bite the bullet and play anyway. You're going to be frustrated but here's how you do. 

I'd actually advise avoiding caps completely for about the first 5-8 minutes of a game and just focus on torping or shooting from a flank. Unless there is somewhere you can shelter from incoming shells. You'll likely die and dead DDs are what loses games. 

A few steps of how I play:

1. Hold down H and see what your air spotting and AA firing range is. If your Air spotting is less than your AA gun range:

2. In game, turn on your Minimap "air detection" circle. It will likely be around 2.5km. while there turn on "last known position indicators" too. 

Now you have this set up. In game, don't do anything for 30 seconds. Don't move.  

3. Press P to turn off AA. 

4. Drive to nearest cruiser. 

Good CVs spot with their rockets because they are the fastest. The first wave will target you, so stick with a friendly and at least make it cost him planes. You hopefully survive the first rocket wave unscathed and rhent he comes back with bombs or Torps and they are easy to dodge. 

By this time your CV has hopefully spotted the enemy team for you. Take note of who has been spotted and count them. Hit tab and see who's missing. Assess where they could be. Ships in a division will be together, DDs will not spawn next each other, etc. 

This is the crucial part: determine which ships are.coming to your flank and of they counter you, and this will determine how you play your side. Alternatively, switch sides. 

5. If the CV comes for you. Have your AA off. 

6. Go right at the planes and by the time he spots you he can't aim in time so he will have to come past and line it up again. If he drops fighters, push P and shoot them down.

Of you must enter a cap, do it just as planes leave. Do not smoke straight away. Wait until you see the planes come back again so you have about 30 seconds left to cap, then smoke. 

You want to be at full speed then hit your smoke, then slam the brakes on. Wait a second or two, then hit full gas again. Then slam the brakes on, and reverse into your first puff, always be moving and angle your butt towards likely angle of Torps.  Alternatively do this a few times to make a largeish cloud. 

The cv will tryhard to drop your position in smoke but you've just moved forwards.  After that drop, you'll be reversed into your first puff, and whatever DD has torpedo your smoke will have done it in front of you, cos. That's where they saw you headed.  

If there is an enemy DD there, spot him. Do, not, shoot him. Wait til he smokes, and then you leave. If it's German or Japanese DD, do a circle and come back. His smoke will be wearing out and he can't see you because he's in smoke.

So, wait til his smoke runs out and spot him. Shoot him and bait him to shoot back. 

Now, he is spotted by your team and has no smoke, but you do. So you smoke and get to kill him for free. 

This is ideal because you kill their DD and get the cap at the same time. It sounds easy, because it is. Just don't eat potato Torps. 

You should now get the cap. Leave and spot and Juke the planes as required. 

Good luck, but playing DDs while rockets exist is so frustrating. 

Edited by ManOfTheYear
Words
  • Cool 3

[HKACC]
392 posts
4,597 battles
2 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

In the past, I own all normal ships so I can learn the mind behind every ships.
Right now don't have credits to buy CV, all returned CV money used to upgrade the other ships.
So I rely on people experience before I can experience it in the future.
With 16k battles of your history, I bet in-game credits isn't a problem for you anymore.:Smile_coin:

54 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Based on my experience with Gnevy, Icarus, and Hatsuharu, the only T6 destroyers I play at the moment, I suppose my first comment is I don't find I'm going up against T8 CVs all that often. But I don't really pay attention to that since to my mind it does not matter. The worst case scenario is 2 CVs of any stripe, since it just means so many more planes in the sky. It's not like any of those DDs are going to shooting down those planes spotting me, though Hatsu can down a few T6 planes from time to time. The main defense is smoke, and working with CV impatience. If they can't get you on the first or second try they usually go find some easier target to damage farm. And CVs are usually only out striking DDs at the beginning of the match, or at the end when the DD is threatening them directly. So learn to make yourself scarce early on, and stick to well-defended airspace throughout, doubly so if your smoke is on cooldown.

I would say that the main thing is to obey the golden rule "noyolo". Stay close to other ships, no capping without support, and strike only when given a safe opportunity.

Genvy was hardest to play before, and more harder now since she's a gunboat.
To score, either cap or use that pea gun to provoke those giants more angrier to me.:Smile-angry:

Must be super smart play with Genvy.:fish_nerv:

37 posts
1,628 battles
5 minutes ago, MissMeMiss said:

Must be super smart play with Genvy.:fish_nerv:

People just play Gnevny wrong.

Your first 4 point skill should be AFT. This gives you concealment of 6.8 which is still ok, but a gun range of 14.3 which combined with excellent fire chance lets you kill cruisers and BBs from afar. 

You should not cap in a Gnevny until about the half way mark when your team has chunked the enemy DD down or they're spotted and you can ambush them. 

Play Gnevny open water gun boat going fast and shooting and turning and more shooting and stopping and starting. It's not really a DD. 

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
1,460 posts
12,804 battles
9 hours ago, ManOfTheYear said:

People just play Gnevny wrong.

Gnevy is an interesting ship. There are arguably several different "right" ways to play her effectively. I usually try to stay well away from cruisers, but if a BB pushes up I'll try to ambush it by hitting speed boost and rushing out from behind cover. If you can get within that magic 4 km your torps are so fast its pretty much a guaranteed kill. The ship also excels and running down and killing fleeing destroyers.

Gnevy, Icarus, and Hatsuharu all have a good suite of tools for protection against CVs. Gnevy, because the ship doesn't rely on concealment anyway and is too fast to hit reliably, Icarus because it has a near constant smoke screen, and Hatsuharu because of the low air spotting distance, long range AA deterrent, and extreme wiggliness.

[TLS]
4,850 posts
21,287 battles

*Scribbles* *scribbles* *scribbles*

Now this is definately useful. Exchanging knowledge. Rather than pointlesa bitching.

From my soviet dd experience, they don't play like 'traditional dds' but more like mini-cruisers. Watching good replays, I notice that the way you prepare for an anticipated CV strike does matter. Try to make it so that even if they want to strike you, the squadron overflies your AA friends to be deplaned. It will either discourage the strike or at least maul them. 

37 posts
1,628 battles
1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

*Scribbles* *scribbles* *scribbles*

Now this is definately useful. Exchanging knowledge. Rather than pointlesa bitching.

From my soviet dd experience, they don't play like 'traditional dds' but more like mini-cruisers. Watching good replays, I notice that the way you prepare for an anticipated CV strike does matter. Try to make it so that even if they want to strike you, the squadron overflies your AA friends to be deplaned. It will either discourage the strike or at least maul them. 

At the very least it employs one of the greatest security tactics of presenting yourself as a hard target. 

Do you want me to make a thread on how to play DD effectively?

Edited by ManOfTheYear