Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ohunt

Spotter Plane??? What Spotter Plane.

21 comments in this topic

[_BST_]
50 posts
16,778 battles

I hope that WoW will change the Spotter Plane to, you know, actually "Spot" and extending the main guns' range instead of just extending the main guns' range. Or they can change the designation to "Range Extender Plane".

Has anybody ever bring up this topic to WoW attention before, like 3 or 4 years ago?

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
2,077 posts
4 minutes ago, ohunt said:

I hope that WoW will change the Spotter Plane to, you know, actually "Spot" and extending the main guns' range instead of just extending the main guns' range.

tenor.gif?itemid=11066817

• Funny 1

5,645 posts
9,428 battles

They do 'spot', as all aircrafts in-game do. Although they are bad at it, because WG buffed all air-concealment on all ships because of the CV rework. And the fact that they also circle around your ship instead of actively going out to scout (have been so since launch).

It's the 'main gun range extending' part that is utterly extremely stupid and nonsensical.

Edited by Paladinum

21 posts
345 battles

If only WG can add another feature of a Spotter Plane like decreased main battery dispersion ( -3% to -5%) while active.

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
3,209 posts
14,089 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

They do 'spot', as all aircrafts in-game do. Although they are bad at it, because WG buffed all air-concealment on all ships because of the CV rework. And the fact that they also circle around your ship instead of actively going out to scout (have been so since launch).

It's the 'main gun range extending' part that is utterly extremely stupid and nonsensical.

They basically have to fly over a ship now to spot it. And because islands now block plane LoS they cant even see over islands unless their path goes over them.

Now, I doubt they can even spot DDs, and I'm not sure their orbit is as far as the concealment of most DDs.

Can they even spot torpedos anymore? I thought that they removed that ability from carrier planes, but not sure out spotter planes and catapult fighter squads.

5,645 posts
9,428 battles
23 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

They basically have to fly over a ship now to spot it. And because islands now block plane LoS they cant even see over islands unless their path goes over them.

Now, I doubt they can even spot DDs, and I'm not sure their orbit is as far as the concealment of most DDs.

Can they even spot torpedos anymore? I thought that they removed that ability from carrier planes, but not sure out spotter planes and catapult fighter squads.

Are we or are we not talking about this...

2 hours ago, Paladinum said:

[MRI]
3,780 posts
16,727 battles

I always lol when I see people using their Spotter plane when under attack by CVs.

[CLAY]
3,209 posts
14,089 battles
19 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Are we or are we not talking about this...

2 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Oh, yeah, knew I forgot something.

Thing is, in WoWs, they have always used "effective range" not "maximum range". The 'maximum' range the ships have in game is supposed to represent the realistic max range they would be able to reliably hit enemies at. In reality, the guns would be able to fire in excess of this range, just less accurately.

Now, a spotter, or 'scout plane' would be able to scout out enemies, even those beyond the effective range, and report back more accurate position, speed, direction, of enemy ship, allowing for more accurate targeting.

So, in game, the spotter plane can be seen as giving more targeting information to the ship, thereby increasing its effective range.

I have no issue with the range extension. This game has never been realistic as far as game mechanics go anyway. And I find the extra range helps on certain ships, especially when fighting ships at higher tiers with greater range.

Though the most benefit I get from the spotter is the elevated view.

Edited by Grygus_Triss
  • Cool 1

5,645 posts
9,428 battles
16 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I have no issue with the range extension.

The game has issue with range extension. More range means people are gonna make those stupidly long-ranged shots which don't hit anything. It's because backest of back liners eho shoot but don't hit anything that I have problem with. People with long-ranged guns don't help the push that often. And the matches with many of those people will drag out and no Point is captured.

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”
Change "Your scientists" with "BB players" for the context of this game.

Edited by Paladinum

[CLAY]
3,209 posts
14,089 battles
2 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

The game has issue with range extension. More range means people are gonna make those stupidly long-ranged shots which don't hit anything. It's because backest of back liners eho shoot but don't hit anything that I have problem with.

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”
Change "Your scientists" with "BB players" for the context of this game.

Huh, didn't consider that. I more often have the problem that I can't get in range with my short range T8 or 9 ship because the long range T10s want to stay about 10 kms behind me, rather than pushing forward to a range where their support ships feel safe to support.

In those cases, having extended range is helpful, as you at least have the range. Its better than being in front of the rest of you team by 5-10kms and getting focus fired to death because all the enemy ships moved up.

But you're right, my problem is half caused by the same thing which helps. Though considering a lot of T10s outrange T9s anyway...

The real problem is the attitude of the players.

[ZA]
[ZA]
466 posts
10,711 battles
37 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

I always lol when I see people using their Spotter plane when under attack by CVs.

Whenever I see BB spotter plane at distance, I will fly my torp squadron to find that sucker.

• Funny 3

5,645 posts
9,428 battles

Consider these:

1. Spotters are bad at spotting now, and gun range only increases your inaccuracy (unless you sail one of them godly Bias BBs).
  2. CVs are present in 80% of matches anyway, better take Catapult Fighters for your own good.
  3. Giving more gun range because of a plane is an unnecessary and stupid idea.

The drawbacks outweigh the advantages.

PS. I mounted FCS mod on Hindenburg after that GK FCS Mod thread and that seems to be a really bad idea. It is still good on GK.

Edited by Paladinum

[CLAY]
3,209 posts
14,089 battles
2 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Consider these:

1. Spotters are bad at spotting now, and gun range only increases your inaccuracy (unless you sail one of them godly Bias BBs).
  2. CVs are present in 80% of matches anyway, better take Catapult Fighters for your own good.
  3. Giving more gun range because of a plane is an unnecessary and stupid idea.

The drawbacks outweigh the advantages.

PS. I mounted FCS mod on Hindenburg after that GK FCS Mod thread and that seems to be a really bad idea. It is still good on GK.

Maybe its because I'm a bad shot, but I still like the elevated view the spotter gives. makes it much easier to aim over islands.

Extra range is very useful in operations, as it gives you the ability to shoot at targets when you may otherwise be not shooting at all. 

[_BST_]
50 posts
16,778 battles

Well, as in all things, some like it and some not. However it would be better if you could swap it for fighter planes.

Maybe somebody could suggest it to WoW about making it an option to swap it out for fighter planes in their next upgrade or update.....

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,778 posts
28,338 battles
1 hour ago, ohunt said:

Well, as in all things, some like it and some not. However it would be better if you could swap it for fighter planes.

Maybe somebody could suggest it to WoW about making it an option to swap it out for fighter planes in their next upgrade or update.....

you... already can? there shouldn't be a single ship in the game where you cant swap the spotters with FTs, what are you on about?

[MRI]
3,780 posts
16,727 battles
32 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

you... already can? there shouldn't be a single ship in the game where you cant swap the spotters with FTs, what are you on about?

Some ships can't swap out their spotters, such as the Tier 5-6 BBs. He probably wants to use the fighter on those.

• Cool 1

[_BST_]
50 posts
16,778 battles

Yes @Thyaliad. T6 New Mexico, can't swap out the spotter plane.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,134 posts
23,624 battles

My HMAS Perth captain is watching this discussion.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
3,209 posts
14,089 battles
32 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

My HMAS Perth captain is watching this discussion.

Yeah, that's one ship which DOES benefit from extended range and spotting. Not only benefit, relies on. 12.8km base range.

Edited by Grygus_Triss
  • Cool 1

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,005 posts
13,620 battles

Well since the few changes on plane spotting took place, I find only Musashi's spotter to remain useful like to snipe the cheeky island-huggers & the smoke campers. But the change on torp spotting is a bit too much even if DDs are slaughtered left and right.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,289 posts
8,802 battles
3 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Yeah, that's one ship which DOES benefit from extended range and spotting. Not only benefit, relies on. 12.8km base range.

And don't forget the smoke.

Using the 'eye in the sky' when hiding in smoke is de rigueur if no one else is spotting.

Sign in to follow this