Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Paladinum

Let's not talk about CVs #3 - GK vs Repub in a CQC duel

10 comments in this topic

4,863 posts
8,859 battles

On the red corner, we have paper ship Großer Kurfürst, the (fictitious) monster of German engineering, and on the blue corner, we have another paper ship, the République!!!

Today I'm gonna find out which ship would come out the victor in a CQC battle, that is, a battle where both ships can have all their guns blazing!!!

Note: the stats concerned here are stock stats, without signal flags, upgrades and captain skills.

Firepower: 

Primary: 

Spoiler

Großer Kurfürst:

4x3 406 mm guns, with 29s reload and individual maximum AP shell damage of 12700. Shells per minute: ~25.

That means a possible Damage per minute (DPM) of: 12 x (60/29) x 12700 = approx. 315.310

OR 4x3 420 mm guns, with 32s reload and individual maximum AP shell damage of 13500. Shells per minute: 22.5.

Maximum possible DPM would be: 12 x (60/32) x 13500 = 303.750

République:

2x4 431 mm guns, with 24s reload and individual maximum AP shell damage of 14500. Shells per minute: 20.

Maximum possible DPM would be: 8 x (60/24) x 14500 = 290.000

OPINION: Großer Kurfürst with the slight primary firepower advantage.

Secondary:

Spoiler

Großer Kurfürst:

This ship carries a broadside of:

2x2 150 mm guns, with 7.5s reload, individual maximum HE shell damage of 1700 and fire chance of 8%. Shells per minute: 32

Maximum possible DPM: 4 x (60/7.5) x 1700 = 54.400. Possible chance of causing fire per minute: 256%.

5x2 128 mm guns, with 4s reload, individual maximum HE shell damage of 1500 and fire chance of 5%. Shells per minute: 150.

Maximum possible DPM: 10 x (60/4) x 1500 = 225.000. Possible chance of causing fire per minute: 750%.

HE shell penetration: 31 mm for 128 mm guns, and 37 mm for the 150 mm.

République:

This ship carries a broadside of:

3x3 152 mm guns, with 8s reload, individual maximum HE shell damage of 2200 and fire chance of 12%. Shells per minute: 67.5.

Maximum possible DPM: 9 x (60/8) x 2200 = 148.500. Possible chance of causing fire per minute: 810%.

4x2 127 mm guns, with 4s reload, individual maximum HE shell damage of 1800 and fire chance of 9%. Shells per minute: 120.

Maximum possible DPM: 8 x (60/4) x 1800 = 216.000. Possible chance of causing fire per minute: 1080%.

HE shell penetration: 24 mm for the 152 mm guns, and 20 mm for the 127 mm.

OPINION: With a clear numerical advantage in terms of secondary DPM and chance of causing fire, République takes this round. However, in terms of the number of shells that can penetrate the opponent, Großer Kurfürst may have an upper hand. 

Protection:

Spoiler

Großer Kurfürst:

Turtleback, 380 mm armor belt, 50 mm plating on many parts. République's secondary can only penetrate the superstructure of the Großer Kurfürst.

HP: 105800.

République:

Turtleback, 400 mm armor belt, 32 mm plating on many parts, even outside of the main belt. Großer Kurfürst's 150 mm secondary guns can penetrate many parts of the République, even the hull armor.

HP: 92400.

OPINION: Althought Großer Kurfürst will take massive damage from République's primary guns, she has the upper hand of being more heavily-plated than République, and would not take citadel hits within secondary range. Meanwhile, Großer Kurfürst can citadel République at this range. In this category, Großer Kurfürst comes out on top.

Other notable aspects:

Maneuverability:

Spoiler

Großer Kurfürst:

30 knots at maximum speed. Turning circle radius is 1050 m wide. Rudder shift time is 19.4s. Turret traverse speed is 40s.

République:

30 knots at maximum speed. Turning circle radius is 980 m wide. Rudder shift time is 18.3s. Turret traverse speed is 36s.

OPINION: République clearly the winner of this aspect.

Repair Party:

Spoiler

Großer Kurfürst:

Standard battleship Repair Party but carries 3 charges.

République:

Standard battleship Repair Party and carries 2 charges.

OPINION: Großer Kurfürst wins this (if the fight goes on long enough).

THE RESULT:

Spoiler

Großer Kurfürst:

Winner in Primary guns (slightly), Protection and Repair party.

République:

Winner in Secondary guns (debatable) and Maneuverability.

Großer Kurfürst would come out the victor/survivor but suffer heavy damage. She would win most 1-on-1 BB vs BB CQC under the condition that both ships are at full HP and all guns are available.

What do you guys think? Which ship would come out the victor?

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 3

[SALT]
2,043 posts
10,542 battles

both sunk, because CQC betwen Battleship would usualy end up in a Ram :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 6

[KMS-A]
379 posts
459 battles

Ah yes, good old Frenchies and Krauts back at it again... never gets old.

[SLAVA]
429 posts
7,206 battles

While the raw statistics are nice, I find ergonomics are also a decisive factor even in close quarters combat. Things like turret firing arcs and approach angle can significantly tilt a duel.

My weapon of choice is the Montana but from experience (in Space) Republique has fairly acceptable firing angles, while Großer Kurfürst suffers from being frankly quite fat hulled. It is in these closing manuvers that Republique will possibly gain an advantage in a duel, through swinging in and out and also exposing a thicker and more angled belt to Kurfürst and also covering these angles at a higher speed.

Granted, this doesn't define a victory, but I think many ships can come out on top compared to its counterparts should the one-on-one or in a specific battle situation in WoWs (not necessarily CQC) allow for it.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,566 posts
26,552 battles

been there done that, GK will usually win if both players are not braindead, all the GK needs to do is to kite away at close range with only back turrets and secondaries fireing and it would win, repu AP suck when facing angled targets after saturation, and if it only spams HEs it will get outtraded by the GK hard 

[POI]
968 posts
10,543 battles

A very interesting comparison. I always love secondary build BBs. 

I had tried to make Republique a secondary monster as she has higher rate of fire, longer range, and, correct me if I'm wrong, more guns for her secondaries. Not as successful as GK though. My Republique currently is more of a hybrid of concealment plus lesser secondary build. 

[TLS]
4,181 posts
20,346 battles

France not tanky enough but has good secondaries. GK tanky but almost as good secondaries. 

Goes down to: 1) who can train more firepower on the other ship and 2) who can out turn their opponent to minimize penetration. 

I would say GK by a slim margin as it is more forgiving against citadels while the France is less forgiving of mistakes.

[LBAS]
4,893 posts
11,000 battles

Some GK good second gun vs Fire focus Rep make you run for your life 

You know what less main gun turret make more good sigma and dispersion 

Edited by THAI_THIEF

305 posts
370 battles

Republique secondary is far more usefull than Kurfurst Secondary. Its true that Kurfurst have higher penetration but lesser fire. The secondary alpha damage is less compared to fire damage. So Republique secondary is more favourable because its deal percentage damage.

Republique is faster and have better traverse angle, Kurfurst need to show more broadside compared to Republique. In the past i already dueling alot of Kurfurst and Yamato and winning. 

Republique have the best CQC gun, if i am not mistake the turret armor is thoughest yet only 20K HP compared to 40K Kurfurst gun HP.

Bla BLA BLA blaaaaa

Sheeeet i want to type more but not have enough time. Well later then

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,566 posts
26,552 battles
7 minutes ago, Akyamarukh said:

Republique secondary is far more usefull than Kurfurst Secondary. Its true that Kurfurst have higher penetration but lesser fire. The secondary alpha damage is less compared to fire damage. So Republique secondary is more favourable because its deal percentage damage.

Republique is faster and have better traverse angle, Kurfurst need to show more broadside compared to Republique. In the past i already dueling alot of Kurfurst and Yamato and winning. 

Republique have the best CQC gun, if i am not mistake the turret armor is thoughest yet only 20K HP compared to 40K Kurfurst gun HP.

Bla BLA BLA blaaaaa

Sheeeet i want to type more but not have enough time. Well later then

fyi, GK's 406s only have 25s reload now, and the secondaries are capable of penning 32mm, you do realize the significance of that dont you

Sign in to follow this