Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

On coming back after a 1 week break ...

4 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,242 posts
11,128 battles

Spent last week without home internet, but 0.8.2 was as good a time as any to take a break from Warships, no?

Came back a couple of days after 8.3 went live. Gotta say the game looks great now. The water, shading, and distance effects seem much improved.

Nothing like a bit of time away to get a fresh perspective on things. Though I have to say, one week is enough time to completely erase your reflex memory and it took me a few games to just learn to steer the ship and shoot the guns again.

In the 20-odd games since being back, I had one game without CVs. A T10 match, and as luck would have it, I had queued up Kagero.

Here's my thought-for-the-day: in that match, I realized I had forgotten how to play a IJN DD in a battle with no aircraft. I had literally no idea anymore what I was supposed to do. All the mental calculations that go into playing Kagero and it's 5.4 km concealment were no longer automatic. We lost, I was first on the losing side mostly due to the tier multiplier: I did not play well.

Stepping back, my "eureka moment" was realizing just how much the game and the gameplay have evolved since 0.8.0 hit. Random battles are pretty much a completely different game now. For better and for worse, that's what it is. Ship roles are different, the pace of a match and fleet movements are different. It's a complete reset.

Honestly, I don't think it's better, in the sense of being more rewarding or more fun. I don't think it can be that until 4 CV games are as common as 0 CV games. It's been said a gazillion times already, but it's still true: in a 4CV game, how well you do as a surface ship, and how well your team does, is pretty much out of your hands. You are just there for the ride. Also, 4 CV games unbalances the ship power by devaluing concealment. AA DDs like Sims, Kidd, or Akizuki  are tremendously effective relative to stealthy torp boats like Kagero, while torp cruisers like Atago are severely penalized against AA counterparts like Baltimore. Finally 4CV battles removes too many of the tactical choices previously available to surface ships, it's too often that your best option is to hang back and shoot from 15 km from most of the game.

But that said, it's not ... that ... bad.

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CLAY]
2,847 posts
12,661 battles

Despite all the changes in aircraft combat (and I admit, they have affected how the game is played), the biggest change since 0.8.0 has always been that you now have to expect at least 2 CVs in every battle. That has been the big change since 0.8.0.

I haven’t played DDs much in random since 0.8.0, only a handful of games while grinding my T2 to T5 of each nation. Assuming they are not completely gone, my reflexes are probably still on pre 0.8.0.

I’ve been grinding Seattle lately, and what I find having to adapt to the most, is the occasional battle (once or twice per day) with no DD. Once, a CL like Seattle would have been expected to act as DD in these situations. But not within the current spotting meta. Indeed, objectives such as caps are often ignored till late game. Unfortunate if enemy team get an early push and manage to cap.

Though at least with good AA and radar, Seattle is well equipped for area denile when properly positioned in these cases.

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
283 posts
7,832 battles

Yea the CV issues aren't the changes to CV game play as I see it, yes their bombs and rockets hurt like hell but their torps are not a big deal and the game play is now simple enough that a retarded any could do well in a CV, it's easy mode while still being OP. The issue is that almost every game is 4 x CV below T10 and 1 at T10. Since the changes I have and 1 game in the entire time without a CV, that game was fun :) The surface ships could actually go back to using tactics, you couldn't see the entire map almost all the time as there weren't any planes :)

The sheer number of planes that are suddenly on the map is just crazy, it is now common to see your BB's (and I often get it as a cruiser) get dropped by the CV's as they try to move out of spawn, the CV can spawn in planes and get them across the map and hit a target in around 1 min depending on their spawns, I've heard rumors this will change but yea right. You have to remember its not about fun its about short term profits for WGing, they don't consider the long term just the short term money incoming. 

• Cool 1

[SMOKE]
2,061 posts
16,309 battles
6 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Despite all the changes in aircraft combat (and I admit, they have affected how the game is played), the biggest change since 0.8.0 has always been that you now have to expect at least 2 CVs in every battle. That has been the big change since 0.8.0.

I haven’t played DDs much in random since 0.8.0, only a handful of games while grinding my T2 to T5 of each nation. Assuming they are not completely gone, my reflexes are probably still on pre 0.8.0.

I’ve been grinding Seattle lately, and what I find having to adapt to the most, is the occasional battle (once or twice per day) with no DD. Once, a CL like Seattle would have been expected to act as DD in these situations. But not within the current spotting meta. Indeed, objectives such as caps are often ignored till late game. Unfortunate if enemy team get an early push and manage to cap.

Though at least with good AA and radar, Seattle is well equipped for area denile when properly positioned in these cases.

I think there lies a problem , if Domination mode is no longer about Domination ( capping and keeping ) then the game mode had somehow be turned into another fix area standard battle only and I see a lot of that ... and with that mode, everyone know where to send plane and position Radar which again made light force even less likely able to work theirs and force CA and BB to sit further way back or hard push ... well most will not hard push and the game turn into yet more mid to long range gun duel which again force many DD, Cl and many CA out of the game as they either do not have the range, or if the get into range they would be solely exposed and quickly dispatched , BB are no better off now that the can be easily located.

I still maintain its a prolem incurred not by the CV rework but what it brings coupled with other game mechanics that pretty much deny stealth and concealment ( where many part of key gameplay are supposed to based upon , not just for DD ), and deny many of the ships their working range when of course only then CV and BB are free to snipe and farm .. which pretty muc further drive people away from actually engaging ( keep sailing at the back 3 line of map is common )

I am not seeing many 4 CV game but 2, and 3 are pretty common alright and you are blessed if you see a 1 CV game, practically never a game without a CV, but you can often see games with no DD or no CL and I am seeing less CA too and for those most are Radar ( which again aggravate the situations ) players know the cannot perform to their fullest when they are handicapped by the game itself in these ships so they do not play them its just that simple and in turn this hurt the game health and game play a lot

Sign in to follow this