You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheURLguy

Soviet Battleships: The History and Features of the In-Game Ship Models

5 comments in this topic

22 posts
2,575 battles

Pretty much I've done my part in datamining for a few Russian literature sources 3 years back, in the other forum.

I don't mind if you guys wanna ask some questions of what I was doing in the other forum, feel free don't hesitate to ask & have a civil discussions here.

[ZUIUN]
Alpha Tester
469 posts
21 hours ago, Drakken_Xero said:

Pretty much I've done my part in datamining for a few Russian literature sources 3 years back, in the other forum.

I don't mind if you guys wanna ask some questions of what I was doing in the other forum, feel free don't hesitate to ask & have a civil discussions here.

Let's test your knowledge then. Is Gangut's six AA guns historical? Almost every image of the Gangut class on Google does not show any AA guns on the turrets. All I can find is this:

01037033.jpg

Two AA guns at most but only on her aft turret, that's it.

183 posts
7,063 battles
On 4/30/2019 at 8:26 PM, Nikolaevna said:

Let's test your knowledge then. Is Gangut's six AA guns historical? Almost every image of the Gangut class on Google does not show any AA guns on the turrets. All I can find is this:

01037033.jpg

Two AA guns at most but only on her aft turret, that's it.

Please allow me to answer your question.

No, it is not historical. Gangut class battleship only have one 76mm AA gun.

Here is the resource where I obtained the information: 

• Vinogradov, Sergei E. (1999). "Battleship Development in Russia From 1905 to 1917, Pt. 2". Warship International. Toledo, OH: International Naval Research Organization. XXXVI (2). ISSN 0043-0374

However, there also another source mentioned that she had four 75mm AA guns: http://ship.bsu.by/ship/101251

Here is some more detail about her AA: "The Gangut-class ships were completed with only a single 30-caliber 3-inch (76 mm) Lenderanti-aircraft (AA) gun mounted on the quarterdeck. This had a maximum depression of -5° and a maximum elevation of +65°. It fired a 14.33-pound (6.50 kg) shell at a muzzle velocity of 1,929 ft/s (588 m/s). It had a rate of fire of 10–12 rounds per minute and had a maximum ceiling of 19,000 ft (5,800 m). Other AA guns were probably added during the course of World War I, but details are lacking, although Conway's says that four 75-millimeter (3.0 in) guns were added to the roofs of the end turrets during the war. Four 17.7-inch (450 mm) submerged torpedo tubes were fitted with three torpedoes for each tube".

You can find this information from below resource on page 221.

• McLaughlin, Stephen (2003). Russian & Soviet Battleships. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-481-4.

I have no idea where WG got the information that the ship had 8x AA guns. It will be great if they could share us about the information.

Edited by Robby_Hermanto
  • Cool 1

[ZUIUN]
Alpha Tester
469 posts

Aww, the only real ship in the entire RU BB line and WG couldn't even get it right. :Smile_sad:

Anyway, thanks for the info.

• Cool 1