You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Player_3356594408

Carrier Strategies

5 comments in this topic

15 posts
222 battles

What are people's strategies for using carriers?

I've tried different approaches, heading out with bombers has been one on the grounds that first thing I'll meet will be a destroyer. I should change to attack aircraft, I suspect because at least they do damage (my only carrier is the Hermes and the bombs are designed to scare birds).

I switch to torps fairly late (probably too late) because normally tier five ships wreck the squadron so I'm lucky to get anything off. 

As for the carrier itself, Hermes, I keep it moving but probably don't get it close enough because travel times are a shocker.

I need to work out flak, it seems that the flak clouds operate more like mines than flak bursts (I.e. flying into the cloud after it has burst does the damage). I guess this means more weaving back and forth.

[TLS]
110 posts
5,790 battles

The strategy for Cv is :

First use your Rocket and head for spotting, if you finish spotting step, proceed to determine the DD positioning and rain down some rocket barrage on them to discourage them from capping ( assume they dont stick too close to their own fleet ) and finish that rocket squadron.

Second, determine their move ( dont attack US ship since they still have AA and can be effective toward CV planes ) choice target wisely and use torps for BB and CA ( u should practice torp drop in training room to know how to drop them since you need to know enemy movement speed so can make any successful drop )

"there are some skilled Cv players will drop one strike before making any attack to preserve their planes but this will effect the squadron's HP but you can still do it to preserve planes for later of the match "

Third, RN bomb is for capital ships like BB and such thing but rmb you can cit low-tier CA with that bomb so dont scare to switch them constantly.

Have fun and good luck Captain !

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
112 posts
7,335 battles

In addition to what appoclyse mentioned above:

Hermes' bombs are too light to penetrate BB's deck armor, just try your best to drop as much hit as possible and hope the bombs set fire. But torps should be your main weapon against BBs. And try to work together with your teammates to fight the ship because Hermes is not an alpha striker like Langley & Hosho (Hosho drops AP bombs which are very effective against BBs). Furious at T6 is somewhat better because the bombs actually work against BBs and you start dropping 2 torps per attack. Implacable at T8 is even better, however your concern is the drastic change the MM delivers because there are more ships you have to stay away from (and the same ships don't care the fact your planes are the most tanky out of the 3 nations).

[ULAG]
891 posts
8,284 battles

Fxp T4...it is not even worth playing, idk why that tier even exists for Carriers.

Get the Furious, it is a good ship and you'll have all the opportunity you'll need to learn CVs.

And about strategies:

RN CVs have strong TBs, average Bombers and shit Rockets. So use your Rocket planes at the start to get the spotting done and do mayb a strike here and there. Then bring the torp bombers and target lonely ships(Torpedo Accel is a must btw). Follow that up with Level Bombers(don't forget to take DE as it gives 5% buff to fire chance), learn to aim with them as it takes some getting used to. Always pre-drop and bring at-least two waves.. then make sure you take Last Gasp as this skill is very useful and easy to manipulate in RN CVs. Try to start TB aiming form 6km of enemy and Bomber aiming from 5km of enemy (roughly).

Build for tankiness and not for speed(I tried to go Hybrid but it didn't go well). Here's the commander skills you'll need:

hBIrfup.jpg

Edited by _TAMAL_

15 posts
222 battles

An update. I free xped the Hosho and it's a lot more to my liking. The planes are faster and the bombs useful. For the first time, I got some citadel hits. The dive bombing mechanic was a bit different but after a few missed shots , I sorted it out.

The torpedos seemed better. More range and faster so easier to use overall. The only rocket attack (this is ONE game we are talking about) did actual damage I could seem.

All round the weaponry on the Hosho, seems better. 

The planes seemed a little quicker and although I lost a few , bigger squadrons and less travel time didn't make it as frustrating as the Hermes. In fact, the planes didn't feel that much more fragile.

I found the Hosho to be better all round.

I'll finish the nightmare grind through the Clemson and see how the Langley fares.