You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Navy_Sensou

Midway is weak

52 comments in this topic

121 posts
11,649 battles

Hakuryu, Audacious are good in random, Midway doesn't perform well. Why?

Let's talk about it's strength first, in fact, it's the only noticeable strength the Midway has. And that's high pressure on destroyers, but now aday DDs are so rare and so aware that a Midway won't be able to do much to them. You will always see them sticking with their AA cover, or going to cap with the smoke on demand every time they see themselves spotted. And yeah sure you clearly can caught them alone a couple of times, but since WG fixed the enlightened drop, you will be struggling to do any good. I pretty sure i have seen enough failure from myself and others to be able to off set this statement.

About Dive Bomber, sure it's good in a way, you can get 15k to BB and 10k on CA sometimes, but that's when they aren't saturated. Your damage output will be dumped down significantly when a ship is low on health, while your plane's lesser everytime you go in for a strike. Even so, your strike won't gonna be easy either, your target will take evasive maneuvers even they are in a BB, and they mostly stay in group. Tell me you can make 3 drops when there's a Montana nearby, no? Cause i know that too, you can't afford to lose the entire squad. Also you see, now the people are so aware of the dive bombers  that they sometimes only use fighters to hard counter them, including me. And it's very effective.
About Torp Bomber, ugh, don't even count on the shitty thing.You've already known how bad it is. You only beg for a flooding.

About Rocket Plane, expendable, chip damage, fire starter, finishing low hp, 2 attack run-s. That's all i have to say, i bet you hardly can even make 3 strikes.

And those who say, but it's really good in comps. That is it, that's where it's fit, competitive. They (unicum) used Midway because they needed its pressure on the DD and chip but consistent damage. They can fail with the Haku with only 3 bombs and do absolutely no damage, but they hardly fail with 6 bombs that can start a fire. And while the Haku loses most of its paper planes, the Midway can sustain some burst.

In random, losing 1 or 2 DDs doesn't cost the whole game, and by the time the Midway finishes killing off the DDs, i've already taken out 2 or 3 ships of the enemy team. Don't only count on one side, count me too, the opposite side. 

Edited by Navy_Sensou

Beta Tester
2,410 posts
7,238 battles
57 minutes ago, Navy_Sensou said:

Hakuryu, Audacious are good in random, Midway doesn't. Prove me wrong!

tell that to unicrum who plays it during KotS.

• Cool 1

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,349 posts
11,171 battles
1 hour ago, Navy_Sensou said:

Making a statement isn't the same thing as having an argument. Perhaps you should consider building a case before you expect someone to go to the trouble of countering it.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

4,941 posts
8,860 battles

> Yukihira Soma for avatar

Nope, cannot believe one bit.

[HKENL]
390 posts
13,580 battles
9 hours ago, Navy_Sensou said:

Firstly, you should prove "Hakuryu, Audacious are good in random, Midway doesn't" :cap_horn:

[GS]
Video Contributor, Beta Tester, Clantest Coordinator
2,800 posts
13,924 battles

57216771_454732775264983_1356034493764337664_n.jpg

• Funny 4

121 posts
11,649 battles
4 hours ago, Paladinum said:

> Yukihira Soma for avatar

Nope, cannot believe one bit.

you can still look at my emblem you know?

121 posts
11,649 battles
10 hours ago, yansuki said:

tell that to unicrum who plays it during KotS.

sorry, i don't speak Chinese and i don't speak with a competitive mind based guy who is always playing in 3 man super unicum division.

[TLS]
4,251 posts
20,391 battles

My question is: Is getting a Midway worth it? So far my previously good Haku is now a floating piece of garbage and the Audacious is sort of okay.

121 posts
11,649 battles
3 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

My question is: Is getting a Midway worth it? So far my previously good Haku is now a floating piece of garbage and the Audacious is sort of okay.

no, it's really weak in random, you just can't carry the team. Haku is high skill demanding, Audacious has a unique trick.

Edited by Navy_Sensou

[TLS]
4,251 posts
20,391 battles

He is looking at these statistics. Which is interesting.

https://asia.wows-numbers.com/ship/4179605488,Midway/

Addendum:
Ah. I see the enlightenment in random. Haku can perform better because everyone stays together in open water where her torps are much more useful. She is practically useless torping in confined spaces.

Edited by dejiko_nyo

121 posts
11,649 battles
55 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

He is looking at these statistics. Which is interesting.

https://asia.wows-numbers.com/ship/4179605488,Midway/

Addendum:
Ah. I see the enlightenment in random. Haku can perform better because everyone stays together in open water where her torps are much more useful. She is practically useless torping in confined spaces.

and why is that?

[ULAG]
909 posts
10,099 battles
13 hours ago, Navy_Sensou said:

They can fail with the Haku with only 3 bombs and do absolutely no damage, but they hardly fail with 6 bombs that can start a fire. And while the Haku loses most of its paper planes, the Midway can sustain some burst.

You literally explained why Midway is Better than Hakuryu...:Smile_trollface:

Anyway, let's cut the crap...

From my experience, I can say that Audacious is the worst of them all. It has good TBs, average Bombers(only good for fires and not alpha) and ultra shiit Rockets. Above all of that, it's planes are sloooow. In randoms, it is more important to keep the dmg going as frequently as possible because you will often have to compensate for the rate at which your team is throwing:Smile_teethhappy: and it is almost impossible with the slow a** planes of Awfuldacious. 

Hakuryu otoh has very fast but very fragile planes which demands high skill vs high reward. Now if you build for full concealment, the TBs(which are the main strength) get down to a very comfortable 6.1km detection which can be used to manipulate AA ranges( again, these are all skill based). The rockets are ok when dealing with DDs but the DBs are a mixed bag(the are not guaranteed dmg like Midway, and again, you will need skill to line them up properly).

Now I haven't played Midway but just looking at its capabilities, it has rockets that I blv can pen 75mm, which literally ignores armor. It has DBs that can consistently do 10-15k dmg to targets, it has terrible but still usable TBs( No RNG or Pen related issues, entirely dependent on how you line up the drop)....ALL of the squadrons are usable in ALL possible situations. The Midway has ALL the tools it needs to face ALL kinds of enemies. Idk how it feels "weak" to you, specially considering you play CVs so much(as you claimed):Smile_sceptic:

Edited by _TAMAL_
  • Cool 1

[ULAG]
909 posts
10,099 battles
1 hour ago, Navy_Sensou said:

and why is that?

Because the planes are weak and often you'll have to move out of AA coverage quickly after carrying one/two strikes(and then recall them), which is impossible in confined spaces. Also, turning within AA is lethal for Haku in most cases

Edited by _TAMAL_

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,349 posts
11,171 battles
16 hours ago, Navy_Sensou said:

Hakuryu, Audacious are good in random, Midway doesn't perform well. Why?

After your edit, your argument does seem pretty reasonable.  I disagree on the basic premise though, I don't think Midway is weak, I actually think all three T10 CV's are pretty strong, with the Haku being the best overall.

I'm not a massive fan of Midway, mainly because it's pretty boring, and because I like a CV to have strong TB's.  TB's are easier to land strikes against heavy AA, which means you can have more effect against well played ships. 

Midway's strength comes from it's consistency across the board.  It's weakest aircraft, the TB's, are still usable even if they are by far the weakest of the T10 TB's.  The RF's are very good, being the fastest and having the ability to hit any target for good damage and with good fire chance.  The DB's are the main strength, mainly because they are so easy to hit with for reasonably good damage and good fire chance with each strike.  The health of the aircraft is reasonably forgiving as well.  So all in all, consistent but not particularly great at anything.  That makes it a good CV for new captains to learn T10, but a bit boring for more experienced CV captains.  It is most definitely not a bad ship though.

Audacious is also consistent and forgiving, but it has a couple of things that you can take advantage of - the TB's are very versatile and the best at landing repeated attacks, and the RF's are amazing against DD's, but are balanced by being painfully slow, so you have to be really aware of the appropriate time to use them - you can waste a lot of time if you choose poorly.  I tend to use the stock level bombers, they have better bombs per area than the upgraded ones, with a 10% better respawn, at the cost of 5% speed and health.

Haku is really great, although easy to do badly in.  The RF's are adequate when you need them, but the TB's and DB's are where it really shines.  The 6x2 torps hit hard, are fast, and are consistent against larger targets.  Get a lone BB and you can absolutely destroy them.  The DB's are hilariously amazing, they citadel very consistently, and that is damage that ships are not healing back.  They really are devastating, and I'd rather have them than the Midway DB's.

So although I see why you are saying that Midway is weak, I think you're incorrect - it's not weakness, it's that the Midway doesn't offer much for a skilled CV captain that an average CV captain can't perform nearly as well.  In effect, Midway has the lowest skill ceiling of the T10 CV's.

• Cool 1

121 posts
11,649 battles
3 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

You literally explained why Midway is Better than Hakuryu...:Smile_trollface:

Anyway, let's cut the crap...

From my experience, I can say that Audacious is the worst of them all. It has good TBs, average Bombers(only good for fires and not alpha) and ultra shiit Rockets. Above all of that, it's planes are sloooow. In randoms, it is more important to keep the dmg going as frequently as possible because you will often have to compensate for the rate at which your team is throwing:Smile_teethhappy: and it is almost impossible with the slow a** planes of Awfuldacious. 

Hakuryu otoh has very fast but very fragile planes which demands high skill vs high reward. Now if you build for full concealment, the TBs(which are the main strength) get down to a very comfortable 6.1km detection which can be used to manipulate AA ranges( again, these are all skill based). The rockets are ok when dealing with DDs but the DBs are a mixed bag(the are not guaranteed dmg like Midway, and again, you will need skill to line them up properly).

Now I haven't played Midway but just looking at its capabilities, it has rockets that I blv can pen 75mm, which literally ignores armor. It has DBs that can consistently do 10-15k dmg to targets, it has terrible but still usable TBs( No RNG or Pen related issues, entirely dependent on how you line up the drop)....ALL of the squadrons are usable in ALL possible situations. The Midway has ALL the tools it needs to face ALL kinds of enemies. Idk how it feels "weak" to you, specially considering you play CVs so much(as you claimed):Smile_sceptic:

yes, i did explain why Midway is better than Haku, BUT THAT IS IN COMPETITIVE, pls read.

And you said Audacious is the worst? clearly you haven't played enough to understand its wonderful strength at all.

You also said that all squadrons are usable in all possible situations, so when a DD is on a journey hunting you, can you use your "useable" TBs to attack it, to completely stop it? Can you kill a full hp well-aware Conqueror or a Republique or a Montana without having to throw 30+ planes to them? Well if you can, you are really the master i want to praise. Your opinion is weak too me.

Oh, and explain to me why the top 2nd of Midway player has 56% winrate despite the fact that he has 186k average?

Edited by Navy_Sensou

121 posts
11,649 battles
4 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

I can say that Audacious is the worst of them all. It has good TBs, average Bombers(only good for fires and not alpha) and ultra shiit Rockets. Above all of that, it's planes are sloooow

so Midway 185 knots DB and 185 knots TB is fast?

[GS]
Video Contributor, Beta Tester, Clantest Coordinator
2,800 posts
13,924 battles

why not you tell them you are making a joke

btw that's your name look similar on a facebook group

562.png

121 posts
11,649 battles
9 minutes ago, Onlinegamer said:

why not you tell them you are making a joke

btw that's your name look similar on a facebook group