You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
conquisador21

Ship failing to reverse while being dragged by a turning ship

15 comments in this topic

32 posts

So basically my ship (A) is slowly inching forward then a ship (B) turns in front of me (so he got rammed). Of course immediately go on full reverse but my ship is stuck 5 knts forward (I double cheked my speed control is on Full reverse). Why is that?

failing_to_reverse.png

765 posts
7,943 battles

Yet another bug that has not been addressed for eternity all while they "fix" perfectly fine "bug"s like the spotting thing they have changed recently

Beta Tester
2,327 posts
7,116 battles
2 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Yet another bug that has not been addressed for eternity all while they "fix" perfectly fine "bug"s like the spotting thing they have changed recently

they havent fix the lock on bug too. its so annoying.

1,035 posts
5,685 battles
7 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

like the spotting thing they have changed recently

That was not a bug. WG just hate concealment.

Edited by Paladinum

32 posts
9 hours ago, Stormcloak_Rebel said:

Ships are like trains, they don't stop immediately when you apply brakes. 

It's not that I'm moving fast, my speed is slow to begin with. I'm getting dragged by the turning ship I should be able to reverse to free myself but my ship wont reverse. 

1,653 posts
10,229 battles

It depends on the other guy's rudder as well. If he was turning away from your ship, then he will actually be pushing your ship forward along with him. Kinda like a lever.

765 posts
7,943 battles
6 hours ago, Paladinum said:

That was not a bug. WG just hate concealment.

Yup...that is why I said *quote*Bug*quote*... WG really likes fix things that aren't broken 

[TDA]
Alpha Tester
1,947 posts
7,538 battles

Something something physics. 

Something something replay.

Something something give way to starboard.

[LNA]
1,808 posts
11,321 battles
10 hours ago, conquisador21 said:

It's not that I'm moving fast, my speed is slow to begin with. I'm getting dragged by the turning ship I should be able to reverse to free myself but my ship wont reverse. 

There is a thing called momentum. A ship that is slow , but very heavy one and has a freakishly powerful engine will take time to reverse gear and start reversing in the opposite direction.

This is the reason why most people avoid truck and containers on roads , they are simply too heavy and bulky to do an emergency stop. Even the best brakes cannot make them go from 60mph to full stop without significant distance. Momentum equals mass times velocity , so a ship that is slow but heavy will still have a huge momentum. 

There is also another case of module stuck. I once got my ship rudder stuck inside another ship rudder models. We both are on a 30 degree cross track vector yet we are still stuck together.

This has to do with the ingame underwater collision model.

51 posts
4,878 battles
2 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

There is a thing called momentum. A ship that is slow , but very heavy one and has a freakishly powerful engine will take time to reverse gear and start reversing in the opposite direction.

This is the reason why most people avoid truck and containers on roads , they are simply too heavy and bulky to do an emergency stop. Even the best brakes cannot make them go from 60mph to full stop without significant distance. Momentum equals mass times velocity , so a ship that is slow but heavy will still have a huge momentum. 

There is also another case of module stuck. I once got my ship rudder stuck inside another ship rudder models. We both are on a 30 degree cross track vector yet we are still stuck together.

This has to do with the ingame underwater collision model.

While in the real world, that is the case but this is WOWS.

Even a DD won't be able to reverse in such situation, I got stuck like that in a Kitakaze on a moskva that turns into me just a moment ago.

[LNA]
1,808 posts
11,321 battles
24 minutes ago, exter001 said:

While in the real world, that is the case but this is WOWS.

Even a DD won't be able to reverse in such situation, I got stuck like that in a Kitakaze on a moskva that turns into me just a moment ago.

WoWS physics can be wonky , but it is fairly accurate in principal. If the Moskva has its propellers/underwater part stuck on you , he will drag you with him since he has more mass and a way more powerful engine. The game do not model collision damage other than -1 hp/sec , therefore you are stuck with him until you can pull your bow away from his propeller. This require him to go backward as you turn your bow to the left. It will stick if you just pull the reverse because in collision module you are still entangled.

This is also true for wonky grounding in unexpected situation since the underwater land is not uniform. Some ships will get hooked into weird terrain that require very complex back and forth maneuver to get out , costing some few precious minutes.

51 posts
4,878 battles
15 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

WoWS physics can be wonky , but it is fairly accurate in principal. If the Moskva has its propellers/underwater part stuck on you , he will drag you with him since he has more mass and a way more powerful engine. The game do not model collision damage other than -1 hp/sec , therefore you are stuck with him until you can pull your bow away from his propeller. This require him to go backward as you turn your bow to the left. It will stick if you just pull the reverse because in collision module you are still entangled.

This is also true for wonky grounding in unexpected situation since the underwater land is not uniform. Some ships will get hooked into weird terrain that require very complex back and forth maneuver to get out , costing some few precious minutes.

I don't think I understand you fully.

I hit him midship, not stern so I'm fairly sure that I did not get stuck in his propeller. Just like in the picture and the ship B(Moskva) is going from right to left turning left. And not once did my ship slide to his stern nor touch his stern, I just have to wait until he decide to go straight to get unstuck.

[LNA]
1,808 posts
11,321 battles
37 minutes ago, exter001 said:

I don't think I understand you fully.

I hit him midship, not stern so I'm fairly sure that I did not get stuck in his propeller. Just like in the picture and the ship B(Moskva) is going from right to left turning left. And not once did my ship slide to his stern nor touch his stern, I just have to wait until he decide to go straight to get unstuck.

Ship propeller and rudder can be amid ship too , they don't necessarily have to be at the stern part. This depend on the ship in question. I will have to check the modules in game.