Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Soloun

CV Changes pls Explain

23 comments in this topic

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
252 posts
7,004 battles

HI EVERYBODY :)

I was just wondering if someone could explain the WHY of the CV change, not just to me but to everyone reading the forums.

Why were these changes which have had such a fundamental affect on the game necessary??

I understand the CV game needed changes, but this seems like WGing felt they needed to change the entire game, completely change how its played.

Was it losing money? Were player numbers dropping fast? Was the end in sight? Was there HUGE amounts of feedback from players and testers that showed what they had wouldn't last without drastic change??

Seriously, why was this needed? 

Perhaps those of you who defend the CV changes could explain it?  

1,646 posts
10,220 battles

Ask WG.

Personally I never asked for the rework, but there were lots of people cheering for the rework back when it was announced. Maybe you could ask them too.

But if I were to guess what WG's reasons are, WG are probably using the CV rework to shake up the meta. It is clear that WG doesn't like the concealment meta, as evident by the radar changes, gun bloom change, CE nerf etc.

So with the CV rework WG is actually killing 2 birds with one stone. They want to make CVs more popular to get more people playing and buying CV premiums. And by making CVs more popular means there is more spotting in the battle.

Edited by Thyaliad

1,255 posts
5,782 battles

It's being proof for 2-3 years now that's RTS style DOES NOT WORK!

Ultra high skill ceiling too few playing then, even more few mastering them.

but once mastering them, one can change tide of battle as they see fit.

that's big NO-NO.

so they change it.

is it work? .... well----just look around in forum.

745 posts
15,966 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

Ask WG.

Personally I never asked for the rework, but there were lots of people cheering for the rework back when it was announced. Maybe you could ask them too.

Ditto.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
388 posts
1 時間前、PGM991 の発言:

is it work?

in Number (of games), sort of; in game play....? 

*looks at the forum community* :cap_rambo::fish_viking::Smile_izmena::Smile-angry::Smile_teethhappy::cap_haloween::cap_win::Smile_playing::Smile_popcorn:<== choose your own icon.

P.S.: me: :Smile_hiding:

Edited by spixys

3,380 posts
7,105 battles

1 hour ago, spixys said:

in Number (of games), sort of; in game play....? 

*looks at the forum community* :cap_rambo::fish_viking::Smile_izmena::Smile-angry::Smile_teethhappy::cap_haloween::cap_win::Smile_playing::Smile_popcorn:<== choose your own icon.

P.S.: me: :Smile_hiding:

ME?

NO.jpg

1,184 posts
7,865 battles

Old CV rts style not work because it require high skill celling. Causing team with weak cv player got ROFL steamrolled, they got blamed, reported for feed and bad play, also trashtalked for how noob they are by avrg 10 other player

and so they crumble under presure as most human do because of our fickle heart, they quit and swore never to touch them again. This result on unsustainable player population and super rare but elitist CV main that can decide surfacedweller main is they gonna win or lose

If WG at begining somehow implemented skill based matchmaking, so the enviroment where new CV player able to honed, cultivate and develop their skills by competing with equal skilled player. The problem might not arise

But since WG  always show aversion when anyone talk about "matchmaking" it result in this rework. Alas the rice have turned to porridge, the new CV still have some enthusiasm in It,

but since CV player was always restricted to 1equal number for each team, unlike other ship which follow asymetric matchup, CV would always in symetric matchup without calculating player skills .

So, The problem of the skill gap imo is not solved only rebooted. The CV rework still fresh, so everyone just start at new begining. But it might not be the case 1 or 2 years along the line.

Edited by humusz

392 posts
8,923 battles

As a DD and CL main, my answer is simple, you made us unplayable, I do not play ... and many of my peer agree, witness the decreased numbers of DD / CL in queue and so ... in short they ave taken a stand to try to force a new CV into the game, but at the cost of agonizing everybody else and practically screwed  a large part of game play and game mechanism at work and the end result , over skewed and unhealthy games and game play

14 posts
2,704 battles

WG weren't making any money out of premium carriers as there were not enough CV players.
Their solution was to get more people playing CVs.
Everything is working as intended (WG routinely damages a game for increased profits).

To paraphrase Steve Jobs...
When a company gets too big, Marketing takes over and the product is forgotten.

52 posts
6,786 battles
21 hours ago, Soloun said:

Seriously, why was this needed? 

Perhaps those of you who defend the CV changes could explain it?  

1. In the old RTS, the team with better CV players decided the end results regardless how terrible the other 11 players were.

2. Thanks to the strafing & counter-strafing technique, it was entirely possible to disarm the enemy CVs in 5 minutes. The disarmed CVs would have nothing else to do other than to accept the endless insults & reports from their teammates because they had no more planes to be deployed to contribute to the team.

3. Manual drop was another skill that only good CV players do, to make it worse this skill was basically giving no real counterplay for BBs and some cruisers. If the TBs wanted you die, you die unless you were playing US cruisers. US TBs had that "wall of death" drop pattern while IJN TBs can drop with cross pattern. TBs also had high alpha damage, unlike what we have now.

4. The old CVs had limited number of planes, but their strike power was potent enough to one-shot certain targets, especially if the CV players did the manual drop properly (TBs launched enough torps to sink a full health BB & CV in one or 2 runs depending on the torp proection the targets had). AP bombs were also potent enough to kill a full health BB with 2 drops.

5. The old CVs can deploy more than one squadron at a time, the old high tier CVs had enough squadrons permaspot the whole battle line (A to J, or 1 to 10). So yeah CV spotting was not anything nicer to DD at all to begin with.

6. Before CV rework, you either only hug American cruisers (preferably Atlanta), or you die. Now you can hug any cruisers.

7. The old CV squadrons could spot torps if they were flying above them.

8. It was entirely possible to steer your CV but still maintained full control of your deployed squadrons. I had a 1v2 battle with Independence against a New Mexico & a Gnevny that kept me spotted, you can tell how fun it was to see a slow BB tried so hard to keep you in gun range while you were dealing with the pesky DD.

If you look at Farazelleth's videos on Youtube, you can easily tell how menacing CV players could be with the old RTS mechanics. He was even given an account on Chinese server by an anonymous just to get his hands back on the old RTS mechanics, then proceeds to steamroll the whole server with Kaga.

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
252 posts
7,004 battles

Yea I'm asking here because some people might, and have, answered me, WGing won't. 

I've never played a CV, I came here for surface ship V surface ship, I bought into closed beta and always thought they wouldn't have CV's with planes because how the hell would you balance ships V planes, WW2 kinda showed that planes win, there is no balance, only planes :) I thought we all knew that :)

Anyway it's good to see the answers it shines some light on things IMO.

WGing needed a cash platform, they gave us the current setup. I've stopped paying fro premium though, not sure how else to protest in a way that might be noticed.

[R0GUE]
297 posts
8,790 battles
10 minutes ago, Soloun said:

Yea I'm asking here because some people might, and have, answered me, WGing won't. 

I've never played a CV, I came here for surface ship V surface ship, I bought into closed beta and always thought they wouldn't have CV's with planes because how the hell would you balance ships V planes, WW2 kinda showed that planes win, there is no balance, only planes :) I thought we all knew that :)

Anyway it's good to see the answers it shines some light on things IMO.

WGing needed a cash platform, they gave us the current setup. I've stopped paying fro premium though, not sure how else to protest in a way that might be noticed.

CV has been always part of the game ever since open beta test. If you came here for surface ship V surface ship, why don't you complain and stop 3 years ago. zzzzzz

1,646 posts
10,220 battles
27 minutes ago, Soloun said:

I've never played a CV, I came here for surface ship V surface ship, I bought into closed beta and always thought they wouldn't have CV's with planes because how the hell would you balance ships V planes, WW2 kinda showed that planes win, there is no balance, only planes 🙂 I thought we all knew that 🙂

I keep on seeing this being brought up over and over again in various places and I don't understand why people keep using this as a justification to remove CVs.

WoWs is a game, not real life, so real life stuff doesn't translate well here.

In WoWs, a single DD is more than a match for a BB, yet I can't recall any instances of a DD sinking a BB in WWII. The only one I can think off right now is  the sinking of Fusou at the Battle of Surigao Straight, and in that case the DDs heavily outnumbered the BBs.

DDs in WoWs have been buffed to ridiculous levels from their real life performances just so that they can fit into the game. If WoWs were like WWII, then DDs would just be cheap cannon fodder for bigger ships. If DDs can be shoehorned into this game, I don't see why CVs can't.

Besides, NavyField existed and that did a good job balancing ships vs planes. Battlestations: Pacific also handled ship vs plane balance pretty well imo.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
388 posts
1 時間前、Soloun の発言:

not sure how else to protest in a way that might be noticed.

Quit the game and forums just like your friends, if you lot can make another 100,000 players quit they might rethink their doings.

Easy.

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
252 posts
7,004 battles

True there will be the other race CV's to add as well, this will become a very lucrative line for WGing I guess.

When I started playing in closed beta I didn't see 2 CV's in every game, hell I hardly ever saw one, plus I was a newb and didn't notice ALOT of things.

Since then the game has improved and grown, it's became fun to play, I felt it was doing things well, then the rug got ripped out from under.

As for using the Real Life argument, I agree its never a good idea to include that, I used it to express my thoughts that trying to have CV's like they are will always be doomed to fail balance wise, fairly sure islands don;t bounce ships off as well :)

I stay and bitch because I was enjoying the game, and give a dam, don;t read my posts or comment if they annoy you, I'll quit if and when I give up, or finish the french cruiser line, ground to T8 the other night, man it sucks without a premium account lol :) You really feel like you earned it lol.

52 posts
6,786 battles
On 4/17/2019 at 3:52 PM, Soloun said:

How much did you spend? Is it enough to cover the wage of their employees? Is it enough to cover their electric bill for a month? $50? $100? $1000? If you think a company will listen to a customer that contributes less than 1% of their income, sorry the reality does not work that way, ever!

325 posts
1,474 battles
59 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

How much did you spend? Is it enough to cover the wage of their employees? Is it enough to cover their electric bill for a month? $50? $100? $1000? If you think a company will listen to a customer that contributes less than 1% of their income, sorry the reality does not work that way, ever!

The time the player put into this game actually worth more, which their investors directly correlate with the game's success and potential future incomes.

392 posts
8,923 battles

I will stay and play but I will not made myself an offering on the alter for the guns and CV ... and I will made sure if and when someone ask me whether WOWS should be recommended I will answer in the negative because the publisher shown both inability and unwillingness to give fair play to all players .. I will not spend any more money on the game until that are rectified to the satisfaction for most players , especially DD and CL players who had to suffer again and again and never got any answers. I see no reason to not to play, I do play the V-25 is fun and entertaining , Kongo still very much fun at T5 ; I will be however making sure I would leave my T6 and above pretty much idelling as I do not see fair play there; if I play those I encourage WG to continue this inaction towards not balancing the game properly.

Speaking of that ... I can always go back to Play POE ...

52 posts
6,786 battles
1 hour ago, tsuenwan said:

The time the player put into this game actually worth more, which their investors directly correlate with the game's success and potential future incomes.

Exactly! As long as the product is consumed actively whether by the lovers & the haters, a company could never be bothered by the "opinions" of the few. WG does not charge a cent to anyone who decides to join the game to begin with. So every cent a player gives to WG is solely at the player's discretion.

Sign in to follow this