You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Prometheus_____

Which heavy cruiser line for dynamic / kiting playstyle?

20 comments in this topic

20 posts
335 battles

I’d like to choose a heavy cruiser line with a dynamic, mobile, kiting playstyle.  I’m primarily interested in either the Hindenburg or the Moskva.  I am a newbie and I am a long way from tier x, but want to pick the right line for me.

I think i’d prefer to go down the russian cruisers towards the moskva because its fast and seems built for long range, but I’ve been reading a lot about bow tanking in that line and am wondering if the Moskva is really better suited to a static playstyle.

How dynamic is the Moskva’s playstyle?  Is it a static bow-on playstyle or a dynamic kiting playstyle?

Would the Hindenburg be a better choice?

Or should I go for the Zao?  Although for some reason the Zao doesnt appeal to me as much as the hindy or the moskva.

758 posts
8,607 battles

If you want mobility, Zao have the better mobility as compared to hindy and mosvka

There also the 12km Type93 torps which can catch people and the STEALTHY 9.9KM ables you to disengage easily 

Zao drawback is the turret cant traverse quick.

Beta Tester
2,327 posts
7,116 battles

zao and henri IV are are best at kitting. though i like zao better because of its 12km torpedo and concealment. you can fire it at 14km to enemy chasing you. they will not expect it.

hindenburg is best at CQC. its short torpedo and turtle back armor are great. though watch out for american CA, at certain range, they can citadel hindy.

also moskva is not really that great when it comes to kitting. its maneuverability and large turning circle its not good for kitting. she's best at holding strong point at map.

Edited by yansuki

667 posts
8,665 battles
19 minutes ago, Prometheus_____ said:

I’d like to choose a heavy cruiser line with a dynamic, mobile, kiting playstyle.  I’m primarily interested in either the Hindenburg or the Moskva.  I am a newbie and I am a long way from tier x, but want to pick the right line for me.

I think i’d prefer to go down the russian cruisers towards the moskva because its fast and seems built for long range, but I’ve been reading a lot about bow tanking in that line and am wondering if the Moskva is really better suited to a static playstyle.

How dynamic is the Moskva’s playstyle?  Is it a static bow-on playstyle or a dynamic kiting playstyle?

Would the Hindenburg be a better choice?

Or should I go for the Zao?  Although for some reason the Zao doesnt appeal to me as much as the hindy or the moskva.

Hindenberg or Henry

261 posts
6,821 battles

Hindenburg, Its a good all-rounder you can kite from a distance but you can also brawl in close if required. That flexibility also just makes it more fun in general to play

269 posts
368 battles

Don't repeat my mistake, T10 is balanced. But the lower tier ship line can be very different! 

List of sux sheep:

- Phoenix and Omaha

- York and Hipper

- all British Cruiser until Fiji 

- la glass

- all IJN Cruiser until Ibuki except myoko

Here is the advice from noob to noob.

The best line for gun and run CA is French Cruiser, its very noob friendly and have longer range compared to other same tier. The entire line is very easy to play.... Very versatile line.... Basically have no weakness but also have no distinc feature.

German Line suffer from crap HE Alpha damage and crap long range accuracy. Nurnberg and below is prone to be citadel. But of you don't want to play French, German line is also recommended.

Murica? Somewhat short range but have more feature like radar at T8 and good AA overal. Pick the heavy 203mm line instead. No torpedo..... Also lower tier sux until T6, so think again.

IJN line have short main gun range before reaching T9. And its very easily killed againts Battleship. The Stealth is total bullsheet since CV rework. Don't touch this line!

British Cruiser is only for pro, AP only, very squishy and need a lot of skill. The heal is bullsheet since Battleship oneshot you. Leander at T6 only have 12km gun range. Its starting to good at T7 with Fiji. Don't touch this line!

------________

Want more power? Want to be destroy anything you want? Don't play Cruiser,

Get CV!!!! Everyone fear you and if you DECIDE To sink something, you are unstoppable!!

765 posts
7,943 battles
7 hours ago, blauflamme22 said:

Hindenburg, Its a good all-rounder you can kite from a distance but you can also brawl in close if required. That flexibility also just makes it more fun in general to play

None of the German CAs are in a good shape now in the current meta. For some reason, they just get Citadelled all over the place. When I use to extensively play Alaska, farming broadside Roons and Hippers became a hobby :Smile-_tongue:

It is no different in case of Hindy. If a BB looks at you from the other side of the map, you will instantly lose haf hp. This type of situation was pretty rare before, specially at close ranges. But now it sewms that they get citadelled regardless of range.

261 posts
6,821 battles
3 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

None of the German CAs are in a good shape now in the current meta. For some reason, they just get Citadelled all over the place. When I use to extensively play Alaska, farming broadside Roons and Hippers became a hobby :Smile-_tongue:

It is no different in case of Hindy. If a BB looks at you from the other side of the map, you will instantly lose haf hp. This type of situation was pretty rare before, specially at close ranges. But now it sewms that they get citadelled regardless of range.

Really? I'll admit its been a few months since I've taken hindy out, but I never felt like I was getting the $#*% beaten out of me by BBs from across the map. I think that these players are sitting broadside to you says more about them than it does about the ship. I personally still think its a decent ship and a good all-rounder, even its AA is pretty good and in my view underrated. I've been playing my Republique a bit recently and I can say that there isn't a T10 CA/CL that I haven't citadelled in the last few weeks.
Back to the OP though, Moskva does lean towards more bow in static play, its turning circle and acceleration are not great to say the least. Henri seems to be a good boat that can be very annoying when one is running around at the back spamming long range HE, but it isn't a team player. its there to farm damage, Des Moines, Moskva all have radar to help cap etc, Hindy has German hydro to help screen a fleet from surprise torps, or if you're really aggressive to chase someone from smoke if there are no radar ships around. If you plan on playing in divisions or clan battles perhaps then its better to have ship capable of supporting the team

765 posts
7,943 battles
7 hours ago, blauflamme22 said:

Really? I'll admit its been a few months since I've taken hindy out, but I never felt like I was getting the $#*% beaten out of me by BBs from across the map. I think that these players are sitting broadside to you says more about them than it does about the ship. I personally still think its a decent ship and a good all-rounder, even its AA is pretty good and in my view underrated. I've been playing my Republique a bit recently and I can say that there isn't a T10 CA/CL that I haven't citadelled in the last few weeks.
Back to the OP though, Moskva does lean towards more bow in static play, its turning circle and acceleration are not great to say the least. Henri seems to be a good boat that can be very annoying when one is running around at the back spamming long range HE, but it isn't a team player. its there to farm damage, Des Moines, Moskva all have radar to help cap etc, Hindy has German hydro to help screen a fleet from surprise torps, or if you're really aggressive to chase someone from smoke if there are no radar ships around. If you plan on playing in divisions or clan battles perhaps then its better to have ship capable of supporting the team

That is the issue right there, they are not sitting broadside, in fact, properly angled. But due to overmatch and some bug regarding pen(I think) they get blapped easily

Edited by _TAMAL_

667 posts
8,665 battles
17 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

That is the issue right there, they are not sitting broadside, in fact, properly angled. But due to overmatch and some bug regarding pen(I think) they get blapped easily

I had heard there was a bug quite a few patches ago regarding pens on Hinden and getting citadel hits randomly when it really shouldnt have. I also heard that WG knew about it and decided to leave it as is.

Dont know how much truth is in that though.

525 posts
4,768 battles

how is moskva even considered a kiting ship ? they just sit there reverse bow tanking while laughing at the enemy trying to hit them

hindenburg feels terrible right now
Zao is okay but if you want the best
get

HIV, they will laugh at enemies trying to hit them

but since you are new with 300 battles i suggest you try out all the 3 lines, there is no point saying that hey you should go for this or go for that just because you want to play kiting, your mindset will change when you go higher and higher up the tiers

Edited by ShiraYukira

525 posts
4,768 battles
18 hours ago, Akyamarukh said:

List of sux sheep:

- all IJN Cruiser until Ibuki except myoko

IJN line have short main gun range before reaching T9. And its very easily killed againts Battleship. The Stealth is total bullsheet since CV rework. Don't touch this line!

Want more power? Want to be destroy anything you want? Don't play Cruiser,

Get CV!!!! Everyone fear you and if you DECIDE To sink something, you are unstoppable!!

I understand the hatred to IJN but to be honest
Furutaka has the biggest gun other than exeter but furutaka has good torps on top of that and its smaller
Aoba is the best like its just really good there is nothing bad about it, you probably have problems because of the torpedoes 
Myoko is the ship to learn kiting  its easy brain dead no issues
Mogami is a pain no doubt because you have things like baltimore to deal with
ibuki has good range basically an upgraded mogami

IJN suffers alot because it's an old line 
BUT
If you want dynamic and flexibility i would take a Zao compare to Desmoine , HIV , Hindenburg , Moskva
because a Zao can do everything 
im bias but
a HIV can do better of everything than Zao
with that i am no bias anymore

If you can't win CV you join them....

if you can't win Radar you join them....

this mindset is really bad might aswell remove all the lines that aren't Radar or all the ships that arent CV
if you can't deal with CV or Radar you might aswell play the lower tiers such as Tier 1 to Tier 6

i might be rude but seriously we need people to stop screaming about CV and Radar you just need to adapt and learn to deal with it, some games are terrible  2 midway literally targeting 1 poor shimakaze and your friendly CV does nothing things like this Ruin your fun, but with the correct mindset it won't bother you at the end of the day

57 posts
6,814 battles
7 minutes ago, ShiraYukira said:

If you can't win CV you join them....

if you can't win Radar you join them....

this mindset is really bad might aswell remove all the lines that aren't Radar or all the ships that arent CV
if you can't deal with CV or Radar you might aswell play the lower tiers such as Tier 1 to Tier 6

i might be rude but seriously we need people to stop screaming about CV and Radar you just need to adapt and learn to deal with it, some games are terrible  2 midway literally targeting 1 poor shimakaze and your friendly CV does nothing things like this Ruin your fun, but with the correct mindset it won't bother you at the end of the day

Yup it's all about adapting ourselves with the constantly changing meta. Even during the early stage of the game, DD players still complained when a slight turn could render their torps to miss (which led to serious nerf on BB's rudder shift) while at the same time non-DD players complained about having no real counter against DDs that only use torps (which led to the creation of radar).

Back to the OP's question. Zao, Henri IV, and Hindenburg are better at kiting than Moskva.

Zao:

+ Has the longest torp range of all T10 heavy cruisers

- Slow turret traverse means your guns cannot stay locked on the target if you do hard turn

Henri IV:

+ Is the fastest cruiser in the game (capable to outrun almost all destroyers except Le Terrible & Khabarovsk)

+ Has the biggest gun for a cruiser (240mm)

- The shells have low velocity, landing shots at long range against anything other than battleships can be difficult

Hindenburg:

+ Has turtleback armor, brawling against battleship is possible (coupled with enough short-ranged torps to take down 80% of the battleship's hp)

+ The guns turn quickly (exactly as quickly as Kirov's)

- Has the 3rd shortest base gun range of all T10 heavy cruisers, you might wanna put the range module for this ship because Hindenburg's rather large size can be hit quite easily at 17km

765 posts
7,943 battles
1 hour ago, dieselhead said:

I had heard there was a bug quite a few patches ago regarding pens on Hinden and getting citadel hits randomly when it really shouldnt have. I also heard that WG knew about it and decided to leave it as is.

Dont know how much truth is in that though.

Except that when the same thing happen considering BBs...the sky fell off with the outcry of BBabys and WG was forced to revert it(despite countless feedback from people saying it was a really good change):Smile_hiding:

1,035 posts
5,685 battles

French CAs are best kiters right now. Fast shells, high speed boats.

Zao with max main gun range = long-ranged flamethrowers.

Hindenburg: accurate shells, and you can change distance easily with rather durable protection. And superb secondary gun range :Smile_trollface:

667 posts
8,665 battles
52 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Except that when the same thing happen considering BBs...the sky fell off with the outcry of BBabys and WG was forced to revert it(despite countless feedback from people saying it was a really good change):Smile_hiding:

All I know is that hinden was a LOT tankier before this "bug" happened and it hasnt been the same since.