Sign in to follow this  
WellyCoaster

Low tier AA defence

4 comments in this topic

4 posts

Hi everyone,

I've been playing for awhile  (about september) but mainly in coop where I loved the fast blasting nature of it.

I'm now getting into randoms starting at tier 4 and 5 to learn the different play styles.

I'm playing with BBs and finding I'm getting eaten by CVs, I know there's a lot of talk about the CVs but mostly in the higher tiers. I've heard CVs are OP at high tier but rubbish at low tier.

My games usually pan out with me trying to group up with other players (strength in numbers right?), as the game goes on everyone spreads out but I'll always stick with another BB or a cruiser if I can. This works well but eventually I'll get the attention of a CV or 2.  If I get singled out a CV will keep hitting me with torpedos and bombers until I usually die along my support ship too. The torps get dropped so close I find them hard to dodge, or I get cross dropped.

Looking at ways to defend myself, at tier 5 BBs seem to have a similar AA rating so I'm trying to figure the best way to spec for them. I use sector control when under attack so am wondering if it's worth using captain skills on BFT or Manual AA, or just focus on survivability skills??

Any advice would be great, thanks!

[AN-DO]
374 posts
8,030 battles

AA at low tiers is pretty awful, there isn't much you can do about it. sailing near cruisers is a good tactic and you'll notice when you start to get into T6 and T7 games there are cruisers who have decent AA that can help you out. I personally don't think there is much point is specing your captain for AA on a BB, eat least not until higher tiers where you have BBs with decent AA. Don't bother putting manual AA on anything. with the CV update and the way AA works now it is pointless. I know plenty of good players who don't even bother with reenforcing AA sectors, after all, when the plan drops its payload its going to fly over you and be on the other side in the weaker sector pretty quickly. AA flak bursts can also be for the most part avoided by competent CV players. If you do decide to spec for better AA then at the moment the only one that's any good is BFT to increase the constant damage on planes. I would just focus more on survival skills. with the new CV setup you basically have to realise that if a CV targets you, some planes will get through AA, you wont be able to dodge everything and you will receive damage, so reducing the impact of that is about the best you can do. Hope that helps

[TLS]
1,916 posts
17,626 battles

Reinforcing air sector is good only when you know the direction of where the attack is going to come from. A good CV player expects that reinforcement and will not attempt that direction. A good surface ship player that knows that CV player is a good one knows that reinforcing that sector will be pointless since he will come from the other side and so reinforce the opposite sector. A good CV player know that that surface ship knows he is a good CV player and thus has reinforced the opposite side to the obvious attacking path then will take the obvious attacking path. The surface ship player will start thinking.... <ad infinitum>

You see the problem and know where this line of logic is leading... Also, good cv players won't go for untasty targets and waste their planes.

I would say start diversifying your ship lines and play other classes as well to get a feel of what they can do and learn to counter by using knowledge of your attacker.

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Funny 1

15 posts
594 battles

I was at a loss until I got a carrier and attacked my first set of bunched ships. Now I know exactly what to do. Find mates and stick with them.

Sign in to follow this