TheHolyAsdf

How to Gneisenau?

8 comments in this topic

[MUM]
6 posts
518 battles

People said this was a good ship. I thought I was having a bad time with the Bayern but things got better after some upgradges.

The Gneisenau is even worse. The only decent thing is the top speed is the secondaries.

While main batteries have good reload, you only get 6. 
It has very short range torpedoes, and only three on each side. 
This ship is a bloody humungous target even compared to other tier 7 and has difficulty taking cover.
It has the most sluggish rudder turn rate. Rudder shift time that is double that of Bayern. It boggles me that that rudder shift time gets doubled just for an extra 5 knots.  Dodging torpedoes from aircraft is basically impossible. 

I know people have said. Take cover and stay near other BBs. Wait for long range enemies to kill each other. Look for 1v1 fights, charge in and unload torps and secondaries. It's not working so well as situations like this are very rare and if they occur, it's difficult to reach such targets unless they're directly in front of you. 

Edited by TheHolyAsdf

4 posts
483 battles

I know that the Gneisenau is very hard to get used to compared to the traiditional German battleships, but she does have a lot of potential and is a great ship to play once you get the hang of her. To play the Gneisenau well you must learn to use her manoeuvrability to dodge enemy fire by turning away at the right time, just like how you would play a cruiser. To learn when to retreat is also key, knowing how she will easily take damage. This is how you should play the Gneisenau in the early part of the game, bombarding enemy cruisers and battleships as you normally would with a battleship while nimbly dodging fire and ensuring you don’t get focused on by enemy fire. Natural terrain is also very helpful; don’t stay in the open too long. While these 1v1 scenarios as you said are quite rare in the early game, you’ll have a much better time playing the Gneisenau in the later parts of a match as the number of enemy vessels dwindle. Also, her AA is the most impressive at tier 7, so CVs will find it really hard to bomb/torpedo your ship (a major perk). The Gneisenau actually has a lot of potential.

• Cool 1

[MUM]
6 posts
518 battles

Yeah. No. I played her another 15 games and I think I only survived one game until the end. 

Her AA really doesn't ward off aircrafts, given her size and crap rudder, you're garunteed to eat at least one torpedo/bomb every time. 
Her rudder makes it impossible to evade torpedoes. 
She is literally the size of tier IX and X ships, I collided into Jean Bart and I was around 15% longer than it. 
There is no get in, get out fast strategy. You get in, and you can't get out cause your rudder is crap.
Torpedo tubes destroyed frequently despite upgrades. 
Her massive size makes it very difficult to take cover in islands, and her rudder also makes it very difficult to position yourself at the right angle and proximity to islands.

Her size needs to be greatly reduced cause it's ridiculously massive. Rudder shift time lowered to around 14s, she's a battlecruiser for fugg's sake.
er acceleration increased. The torpedoes might actually be useful if she can move. 

[AN-DO]
316 posts
7,081 battles

Gneisenau plays like the rest of the german BB line, it is lethal in close but lacklustre at range. you need to sit back and soften up the enemy before you try to move in. As with any BB you should be targeting cruisers first, if you are angling properly it will be the cruisers HE spam that threatens you the most. Once the enemy is weakened then you can look to move in. when you do your secondaries will start to do damage, you also should remain angled, forget about using your rear guns. Also don't worry about your torpedoes think of them as just a bonus for a brawl. Also her AA isn't that great so if there are CVs around try and operate near friendly AA cruisers

[CHING]
49 posts
4,049 battles

It does feel horrible playing Gneisenau with its low sigma, when even the Tier IV Myogi has a 2.0 sigma with 6 guns. Your worse enemy should be HE spammers as German battleships do not last very long under fire, but you do have excellent armor when you angle correctly. You should not try to rush and tank when you have half of the enemy team eyeing on you, you can try to take cover and ambush the enemies at close range. The fact that you have torpedoes will make your enemies turn away and that is the moment you would like to take the opportunity to pleb their broadside, if they do not turn away, the best range to use your torp is at 2-3 km so that you can guarantee a hit or two. 

German battleships does not uptier well because they play in close quarter, luckily the Gneisenau is in Tier VII which matchmaking between Tier V and VII usually prevails. That is the other reason why the Scharnhorst is so popular and fun to play.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,366 posts
7,238 battles

1. dont bow tank. experience BB player will shot the top of your bow and scoring citadel.
2. use side armor and angle it. it can bounce most of shell.
3. use her speed to keep up with cruiser for anti DD and AA protection.
4. never CQC on earlier stage. save it on cyclone or late game.
5. i believe her 15" guns are enough to overmatch 25mm armor that most cruiser have. use that info well.

• Cool 1

[NFB]
1,160 posts
9,552 battles

When I moved up the KM BB tree, I loved Gneisenau. Compared to lower tiers, it has great speed and also torps.

Now having played a lot of other ships, I am not so fond of Gneisenau anymore, but Gneisenau and Bayern is still among of my favorites.

I also play mostly ops these days, and many T7 BBs (including Scharnhorst) give me consistently better results.

Gneisenau, like any other ship, plays best if you use the strong sides and avoid weak aspects.

Upgrade to Hull B as quickly as you can, for extra HP, secondaries and AA. Makes a noticeable difference.

You have hard-hitting 15 inch guns, but KM dispersion, so you have to get fairly close to reliably hit something. Around 1 or 2 km I’d say 😊

Good armour belt, very hard to citadel at close range

Concealment is reasonable – weigh up if you want Concealment Expert of Advanced Firing Trainng, for more secondaries range.

AA is decent-ish… but I have not play Gneisenau in Random battles since the new CV mechanics

Good speed, good to engage and withdraw. You will be able to dis-engage from fights with other BB’s, because of the speed

For Gneisenau, it is key to learn when to get close and brawl and when to withdraw.

I find that at longer ranges, her AP does not penetrate BB armour very well. It is worthwhile to learn when to use AP and when HE.

Gneisenau’s turning radius is not very good

Do you have at least a 10 point captain? That will make a noticeable difference, too.

[GVF]
5 posts
9,782 battles

CQC to enemy but evade HE spamer cause u easy to catch fire 

• Cool 1