Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
zam2311

Great Naval Battles

16 comments in this topic

16 posts

I'm not sure how many people here have ever heard of the old classic battleship simulation game, Great Naval Battles.

It was a DOS platform game. Yes it is that old... LOL.

When I first learned about WoW I was excited beyond words.

After a couple of days watching gameplay videos, WoW fell short of my expectations ^_^;;

Its simplicity was one of the reasons.

Actually it is too simple. WoW is just a click-n-shoot game.

Myabe it is too late to change the current version but maybe for future development the developers can include the following.

Instead of giving players direct interaction of click and shoot, put the players in the Captain's chair. As Captain, the  players issue orders to fire control, navigation, scout plane and damage control.

Fire Control - Warships have an equipment called a gunnery director. To put it simply, its purpose is to tell the guns where to shoot. It is like a targeting computer, but this is all manual work with no computers. A battleship class may have up to 4 directors. 1 main forward, 1 main aft, 1 secondary port side and 1 secondary starboard side. The directors allow forward and aft guns to shoot at different targets. Your guns do not always get to shoot at the same target. This is what is lacking in WoW but it was there in GNB. Secondary directors are for your secondary guns. Yes in GNB you can use your secondary guns. So as Captain, all you do is set a target on your director and your gun grew will do all the work of ranging and shooting. This will also give the element of your gun crews gaining experience. The higher their experience, the faster they obtain firing resolution and more accurate their shooting. While your gun crews do the shooting, as Captain you sit back and watch the fireworks unfold.

Navigation - navigation is just telling your ship in which direction to go. The current WoW navigation interface is good enough. But you might want to add an option for the Captain view point. Which is to give the navigation station a bearing and speed and let them do the driving.

Scout Plane - you should be able to tell your scout plane where to go or else they are just point less.

Damage Control - This is one operation in a warship that is so important that it could decide the faith of the ship. I was surprised there were no Damage Control in WoW. Instead it just have a repair button. In GNB, damage control are carried out by teams of damage control engineers. Destroyer class could have 2 to 3 teams, Battleship class could have 7 to 8 teams. When your ship sustains damage the DC teams will be dispatched automatically to the damage site to repair equipment, put out a fire or plug a leak. If your ship sustain more damage than you have teams to handle them, then your ship is in trouble. Some damage can be fixed quickly, others like flooding will take more time. How effective your DC teams are also depends on their experience. As Captain, you have the option to prioritize which damages to handle first. If your team were already working on something and suddenly your ship sustained damage that caused flooding. You would want to divert your team to fix the flooding. To simplify DC management there could be an interface to rank damages in order which to fix first.

These are my suggestions which I think would make the battle experience richer in WoW.

Edited by zam2311

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

World of Tanks/Warplanes/Warship are arcade multiplayer shooter-type games. Putting the players in the captain's chair and letting them sit back and give orders would be too much off the basic gameplay, even if we'd prefer it that way.

16 posts

Unlike tanks and warplanes, warships are manned by hundreds of people.

I understand the arcade approach, that is why I said this might not be implemented now. But later they could release a version that has this option.

@Windforce - I'm glad to see a follow GNB fan :D

Edited by zam2311

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Let's See...

Fire Control - It's Already good, and the only reason of they making secondary batteries Auto Fire it's too prevent DD get shot so easily when spotted

Navigation - Agree with you

Damage Control - I don't think they would add something like that... or maybe they would?

16 posts

^Damage Control can be automatted. The player just set the priority of which type of damage to fix first.

I forgot to add something. When ships get damage I notice in WoW there is no flooding. Ships do not list  ^_^;;

Edited by zam2311

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

And here is the difference, You are talking about a Simulation, and WoWS is an arcade type game.

Simulation games run for hours at a time, you may sail the oceans for 2 hours before you see an enemy to engage, Wows being arcade, means you have short, sharp games.

16 posts

^Apparetly you have not played GNB.

GNB is not a sailing simulation, it is a warship simulation.

GNB have scenarios just like WoW with instant action.

Like it or not, WoW is still a simulation at its simplest form.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

apparently I don't care, but yes, I have played it, and many like it, so don't assume I have not.

This is an arcade game, one I will note that you are not a tester, therefore you have no idea what the game does, since all you have is what is written and what is shown in videos.

Beta Tester
856 posts
746 battles

you expecting historical battles in WoWs? wait for a million years.....

the same game mode was introduced in WoT, but lots of weird things happened, so it was removed......

"the other game" will have this kind of game mode if they release their own.....and its gonna be on the "events" tab as usual....

:honoring:

16 posts

apparently I don't care, but yes, I have played it, and many like it, so don't assume I have not.

This is an arcade game, one I will note that you are not a tester, therefore you have no idea what the game does, since all you have is what is written and what is shown in videos.

Oh wow.

That is how you make people feel welcomed.

Before the game opens, you are already killing it.

May I remind you that you are just a tester and not the developer.

My suggestions are for the developer.

Edit:

I just realise that you are a moderator in training. You do not fit to be a moderator the way you responded to my post.

Edited by zam2311

16 posts

you expecting historical battles in WoWs? wait for a million years.....

the same game mode was introduced in WoT, but lots of weird things happened, so it was removed......

"the other game" will have this kind of game mode if they release their own.....and its gonna be on the "events" tab as usual....

:honoring:

I wan't suggesting historical battles.

How could anyone setup a historical battle when you have 4 Kongos running around :)

My suggestion is geared more towards gameplay.

I noticed how testers are having a hard time dividing attention between shooting and sailing their warships. One tester pointed out a "tunnel vision" effect when you are focused on shooting at another ship, that you forget where your ship is heading and ends up sailing into an island or the map's edge. My suggestion was aimmed at solving this issue. But some people acted childish towards it.

Beta Tester
31 posts
620 battles

One thing you forget in all this is that most people played GNB as a solo game, player vs the AI ( I don't even remember if it had a PvP option ) and you had time settings so you didn't have to fight in real time, you could also pause the game.  This made it possible to click through all the stations during the battle and not get overwhelmed by the level of multitasking required to do all that in a WoWS style of game.  GNB also allowed you to lock your forward and aft main batteries (guns) on different targets and assign secondary (and all DD guns) individually.  There was also spotting mode for guns to improve accuracy quicker. 

Now I would love to be able to aim my aft and forward main guns at different targets, but other than that there is little GNB can offer to WoWS as it is a battle simulation not an arcade game.

Have thought about it a bit more, I think I would like to see weather conditions effecting battles.  Heavy sea state would reduce the fighting effectiveness of all ships, nerf torps and aircraft and reduce vis, hehe

BTW GNB still one of my all time favorite games

Edited by Eddywils

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

I noticed how testers are having a hard time dividing attention between shooting and sailing their warships. One tester pointed out a "tunnel vision" effect when you are focused on shooting at another ship, that you forget where your ship is heading and ends up sailing into an island or the map's edge. My suggestion was aimmed at solving this issue. But some people acted childish towards it.

That's not an issue with game design, situational awareness is a skill that one has to acquire if they intend to do well, people who are complaining about tunnel vision are basically complaining that the game isn't simpler.

What you're suggesting is turning the game into something entirely different, which wouldn't appeal to most of the people playing it (there is a reason simulator games are niche), the game you're thinking of may be great, but trying to turn this game into that game wouldn't work.

Sign in to follow this