asedneil2005

Ship Lines and Tips You Give to a Beginner with 50 matches

7 comments in this topic

3 posts
25 battles

I have 50 matches under my belt and I need Tips on all The ship classes. I am at the Tier 4 German BB. (Forgot the name). I have questions:

1. What Cruiser Line do you recommend to beginners like me?

2. Do you recommend cruisers to beginners?

3. How do u get free premium ships?

4. What ship lines do you recommend to beginners? 

These are all for now. I will be adding more questions as I explore the game more. Godspeed Captains!!

[BRO]
79 posts
5,895 battles

First and foremost, welcome to the game! You might be able to find documentaries or reviews about the ship classes in the forum or the official wiki, but here are some information about the classes in general:

1. What Cruiser Line do you recommend to beginners like me?

Usually beginners would go for U.S. or Japanese cruiser as a starter, because they are two major countries that took part in the WWII, and these two lines were first released in the game among the nations.

The game style of all cruisers in lower tiers (I-IV) does not vary much, but in higher tiers (VIII-X), they do have some distinct differences. In general, I would consider the U.S. and the U.K. cruisers short-ranged ships, where these ships are good at lobbing shells over the island and has relatively short main gun firing range and slow shells. Then the German and Japanese cruisers mid to long-ranged ships, these ships are kind of all-rounded, they do not do the best up close nor too far away, optimally in mid-range; they do not lob shells as high and they don't have very high very high main gun firing range either. And finally, the French and the Russian cruisers as long-ranged ships, they excel at sniping even in open-water as they possess excellent speed or armor; and they do have high base main gun firing range compared to their peers.

With that being said, as a beginner you might want to assess yourself whether you are an aggressive person or you prefer to play more passively, and choose your line in accordance to your play-style, especially when you do not have a lot of credits to afford every ship lines in your port. Later in the game you might want to try to change your own play-style to adapt to the unique traits of all ship classes and nations.

2. Do you recommend cruisers to beginners?

Yes, I do. As you might have discovered, the very first ship you own (in Tier I) are all cruisers, as cruisers are the most all-rounded ship you could have in the game. Some cruisers possess both main gun and torpedo which highlighted their all-rounded purpose in the battle. The U.S. Tier X light cruiser Worcester even possess the most useful tools that could help out the entire team, including hydro-acoustic search, surveillance radar, and defensive AA consumables. As a cruiser, it is important to remind yourself that your role in the battlefield is a support, rather than a tank or a reconnaissance, hence you would might want to stick with your team and provide all kinds of support (AA, consumable, or fire support) rather than cruising alone.

3. How do you get free premium ships?

Regularly, WarGaming promotes some new ships or previous released ships by creating some events, usually missions, that players can complete and receive a new ship as a reward. This month, it was the Tier V British heavy cruiser, Exeter. If you were referred by a friend who plays world of warships, you would be able to earn the Tier II Soviet cruiser Diana Lima and Tier VI U.K. battleship Warspite (used to be Tier II Soviet cruiser Diana and Tier V U.S. battleship Texas) as well, read more here.

Moreover, there are some ships that you can purchase with Free XP in the Tech Tree, such as the Tier VII U.K. Battleship Nelson, and the Tier IX U.S. Battlecruiser Alaska. I usually recommend players to use Free XP on stock ship modules but if you do fancy these premium ships and you have spare Free XP, you may give them a go.

Finally in the Arsenal (gonna renamed Armory in 0.8.2), you can exchange premium ships with coal, which are earned mostly from containers and daily missions. 

4. What ship lines do you recommend to beginners?

Usually you would like to play cruisers to grasp the feeling of the game, but after you reach Tier V, you might already know what you are good at (aiming, reading the map, team awareness, etc.) This is important as this would determine what ship class suits you the best, for example, as a destroyer, especially American destroyer, who has long smoke duration, you might want to cover your team with smoke and scout for them (do not stay in the smoke with your team, doing so would diminish reconnaissance). As a battleship, your primary skill is good accuracy, though battleship guns could be inconsistent; knowing when to tank and when to retreat is also important, but you would learn this the more you play. Finally the aircraft carriers, they have been reworked this year and they could be a good option for those players who are familiar with plane fighting games.

I hope you found these information useful and I wish you good luck in the battle!

[TF44]
[TF44]
173 posts
15,475 battles

Neil,

answers:

2. (First) Yes, Cruisers are a good ship type to learn the game;

1. Either USN (American) or KM (German) Cruisers are good lines to research;

3. Free Premium Ships are available from time to time. There is usually a set of tasks, each comprising a sub-set of missions, to grind through. One all the missions are completed, the Ship on offer is provided to your port. Look up March Combat Missions: The "Exeter's Last Stand" marathon. This is typical of the requirements to access a free Premium Ship;

4. I recommend USN Cruisers.

GLHF

[BLESS]
7 posts
4,352 battles

For a beginner I would recommend battleships . Battleships generally provide a relaxed gameplay and are very forgiving . Unlike cruisers you won't get deleted instantly if you show broadside by mistake. Because of slow reload you will want to make every salvo count. That helps to develop good aiming skill. On the other hand high rate of fire boats like cruisers generally make aiming skill worse. I see so many players in cruisers who keep on left clicking and continue to miss their target. improving aiming and positioning skills in a battleship and then moving on to cruisers will be a good idea imo.

Russian cruiser line will be good to begin with . their guns have high shell velocity which helps to hit targets at range.

French cruisers are also good. Their high speed and acceleration is helpful while dodging shells and their guns do good damage.

A bit of advice - don't grind the german BB line. T7 and above will give you a very frustrating experience.T7-T10 are one of the weakest BBs tier for tier . Crap guns , crap accuracy even at close range, crap armor ( turtle back armor scheme looks good only on paper. german BBs take unusually high pen damage from every angle) , very high susceptiblity to fire , weak torpedo protection means their status as brawlers is questionable. And their mid to long range performance is pathetic . The current meta promotes mid to long range engagement . Ships with good accuracy is needed for that . you can grind the USN/IJN BB line.

[FORCE]
1,081 posts
10,066 battles

1. Everyone has different preferences & playstyles. Best way to figure it out is to play each tier 5 cruisers, then find the one you can handle with and grind that one for the next ships. Because tier 5 is where ships begin to have their differences more obviously and the ships of the next tiers work the same way.

2. Yes because cruisers provide good maneuverability & decent rate of fire to make up their lack of alpha strike. Some of them have enough torpedoes to sink battleships of same tier.

3. Arsenal (WG plans to rename it to Armory soon), Combat Missions (like Exeter now), and referral link (invited by a player).

4. Again, refer to #1. This wiki provides every info you need about the game.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

You can also watch on Youtube on how to play certain ships. There are plenty videos about them.

3 posts
25 battles

Ok. Sooo Apparently WG Is planning to release Russian BBs.

When they release the Russian BBs. Will you recommend it to beginners? I think I'm starting my BB Line with the Russians If i grow tired with USN Cruisers.

That's all for today.

[AN-DO]
537 posts
8,727 battles

The Russian BB line will no doubt be very powerful, But I would always recommend cruiser to beginners who want to improve their game-play and get better at the game. BBs are very forgiving of mistakes but this doesn't really encourage learning more about the game. angling, gun penetration, armour overmatch, proper aiming, these are all things best learned on a cruiser