You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Nelson

Asking for professional advice based on these replays

13 comments in this topic

8 posts
464 battles

So, it seems (at least to me), my aim turned from being potato to acceptable, which in turn increased my damage from 10-30k to 75k dmg in a the last few days on the New York. These two battles in specific, I did better than I do in *most* of my earlier battles. I can definitely feel the difference since being able to put more accurate shots, however I believe my positioning is terrible.

I need to know what I am doing wrong (please ignore me beaching the ship by accident on the first replay), and what I should be doing instead. Thank you in advance!

Replay 1 link

Replay 2 link

[REPOI]
5,573 posts
23,223 battles

there's a place called https://replayswows.com/ where you can upload easier and can convert the replays to actual videos, WG's replay system is shit and using it is a pain in the ass tbh

for actual advice and tips you can watch these replays of nikolai i played recently, not quite a NY but the only other replays i have are T10s, so...

20190318_123908_PRSB001-Nikolay-I_08_NE_passage.wowsreplay

20190318_124522_PRSB001-Nikolay-I_08_NE_passage.wowsreplay

20190318_120842_PRSB001-Nikolay-I_10_NE_big_race.wowsreplay

20190318_122154_PRSB001-Nikolay-I_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay

• Cool 1

8 posts
464 battles
29 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

there's a place called https://replayswows.com/ where you can upload easier and can convert the replays to actual videos, WG's replay system is shit and using it is a pain in the ass tbh

Haha I agree, with the turret positioning bug that I frequently see on videos... I was using win10's default game bar to record the match.

Is there a way I can recapture these old matches?

[REPOI]
5,573 posts
23,223 battles
32 minutes ago, _Nelson said:

Haha I agree, with the turret positioning bug that I frequently see on videos... I was using win10's default game bar to record the match.

Is there a way I can recapture these old matches?

open them by dragging it to the the wows icon in your computer, or just run it through the wows program and you can watch your replays

[SGC]
400 posts
5,614 battles

First of all, welcome to the forums, @_Nelson. I personally think it is great when players come here to look for help and improve their gameplay. Second of all, keep in mind this is just my opinion based on how I would play a slow midtier BB.

Basics: Improve with Experience.
There are some things which are simply mechanical skill. I notice you tend to undershoot, especially on targets moving away from you at an angle or on fast cruisers. I won't fault you for this since you are fairly new. Just get used to reading the speed of your target and when dealing with angled ships pretend there is an oval on the plane of the ocean around your target that you should aim along, or whatever works. I already see you adjusting your aim on targets like the Phoenix, which is good. It will take some time and experience.

Your setup: I highly advise running premium heal and damage control party, especially on New York which is very vulnerable to HE damage, unless you really cannot afford it.

Game Sense: Tough but rewarding to learn.
Truth be told, I feel like these might have been exceptional games for you. I'd like to see your average match to gauge your actual performance. A lot of your damage was concentrated to single lucky salvoes and you spent a lot of time being unable to engage.

Your first game was a Standard Battle and your team held back and wore the enemy down, which is (simplified) the right thing to do in a Standard Battle. But this defensiveness does not mean you need to be out of effective range. Around the 18:00 mark you started falling back into the islands in spawn despite your team being in a fairly good front around your base, and this severely limited your ability to engage the enemy. Maybe being 1-2km closer (14-15km range?) would help without compromising your own survival. Positioning is very important in a slow BB and it is not forgiving to the inexperienced.

In the second replay at 15:20 your team begins to push back into the enemy while you alone turn away. I don't fully agree to the team pushing, but you could have continued to move with them and it might have secured the northern flank. You would maintain the momentum of the game with little cost to yourself. I want you to note this disorganized push into 4 enemies or so gets a lot of your team killed, as does a similar attempt in the south- Learn to never rush into crossfires or overly defensive enemies like that. By the time you rejoined to start dealing effective damage beyond the first 33k or so your team had crumbled and the battle was all but lost.

Game sense is difficult to pick up and many WoWs players lack it, even at T10. At its core, watch your map. Enlarge it if you have to (+). The map gives you information, even passively. For example if the enemy has 2 DDs and none are visible to you, but both were marked on the map at other times in the other flank, you have a lot more freedom of movement. Your reading of your team and enemy positions is a good metric on gauging when to push or hold back, and where to go. Primarily your goal is to stay in effective range without being focused- You don't want to be far ahead either.

My last general criticism will be pertaining to target selection. I notice you often get fixated on the enemy BBs, presumably because when you misposition you struggle to hit other targets. Generally speaking, go for the ships that are either the biggest threat to the objective (there's no shame in shooting a DD which is the primary cap contester), the biggest threat to your team (eg. a cruiser supporting the enemy DD), or shoot a low HP target or one that is overextended from the rest of its team (put pressure on it if it is moving freely, or focus fire it so it dies faster- Removing enemy guns or spotting from battle is immensely valuable.)

It's hard to explain things in words when the game is quite complex, so I'd also recommend watching good replays and paying attention to the map and decisions made in them.

You also need to know your ship. Not every battleship is like New York. For example Kongo is faster and more resistant to HE fire and even AP when angled (so it can sometimes be more aggressive and move with cruisers) and other ships can vary (in stealth, speed, gun handling etc.)

Assuming I'm free and not grinding credits or EXP, I may be able to div with you in the future to help, but this isn't a guarantee. I can also try sending you replays and explaining them.

Good luck out there.

Edited by InterconKW
  • Cool 2

8 posts
464 battles

First of all, thank you for your fast responses, and apologies for my late response (I have tests going on recently and a ton assignments to deal with)...

I do realize what you mean InterconKW, about me hanging at the back of the team and not contributing much to the actual threat, and I'm currently practising to stay at around the ranges you've mentioned after watching the replays drakon233 sent me (thank you so much for those <3) and some other replays on YT. I also do agree I tend to over/under lead the targets more often than not, but I think this has more to do on me being unable to judge the speeds of faster ships like cruisers and especially DDs. Is there a way I can practice my aim in a more controlled environment?

[BLESS]
859 posts
8,423 battles

You aren't tanking. In both replays your ship is still full health past the 10 minute mark.

If you aren't tanking, i.e. drawing enemy fire off your allies, you aren't playing a battleship as the ship class is supposed to be played, and you aren't being anywhere near as useful to your team as you could be.

Remember: if the enemy isn't shooting at you, they are shooting at someone else instead. If that means they are sinking your cruisers and destroyers instead of chipping away at your heavily armored and repairable hull, then you will lose the game.

Your health pool is every bit as important as your guns. Use it wisely to keep your team alive.

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 1

8 posts
464 battles
9 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

You aren't tanking. In both replays your ship is still full health past the 10 minute mark.

If you aren't tanking, i.e. drawing enemy fire off your allies, you aren't playing a battleship as the ship class is supposed to be played, and you aren't being anywhere near as useful to your team as you could be.

Remember: if the enemy isn't shooting at you, they are shooting at someone else instead. If that means they are sinking your cruisers and destroyers instead of chipping away at your heavily armored and repairable hull, then you will lose the game.

Your health pool is every bit as important as your guns. Use it wisely to keep your team alive.

I understand what you mean now Rina, I've played 6 matches recently trying to stay in the 15-14 km range, with 5 being nothing but getting too far into enemy territory and subsequently getting burned alive. But on the 6th match, I was able to maintain a kind of sweet spot in a position where I could 'tank' like you mentioned and keep them distracted. Got 3 citadels on 2 cruisers, effectively scaring them away, and shredded half HP from a broadside dd. My damage was comparatively lower at 60k this time, but it was enough to weaken the eastern flank. We then pushed through to the base, and our cruisers melted the bbs hanging back like I did and we won by points. Only a yolo BB, two CAs and a dd died on the western flank by an unlucky torpedo hit from a carrier.

Safe to say, this is making me enjoy the class a lot more, thanks to all the valuable advice you've provided.

Edited by _Nelson

8 posts
464 battles

Here's a battle I played just now as sort of a feedback.

Sorry for bothering you guys so much but how am I doing so far? I can tell that I died in the end because I didn't pay attention to the minimap and didn't prevent that beaching.

20190321_233329_PASB006-New-York-1934_05_Ring.wowsreplay

Edited by _Nelson
Additional information

453 posts
9,669 battles
1 hour ago, _Nelson said:

Here's a battle I played just now as sort of a feedback.

Sorry for bothering you guys so much but how am I doing so far? I can tell that I died in the end because I didn't pay attention to the minimap and prevented that beaching.

20190321_233329_PASB006-New-York-1934_05_Ring.wowsreplay

This probably one of you best game in New York? If you want improvement, maybe upload those average game for advice would be better.

In general, good aim, at beginning of game the decision to start kiting is correct.

You angle reasonable well to those enemies that "You can See", however you eat quite a few citadel from those BB that is hidden. Holding their fire to wait for you make mistake. So when you kite, the path and angling can be better, because you kite into cross fire and gave broadside to 2 BB.

In the last bit, you are tunnel vision into shooting and killing, you traded with 2 kills for your life which is not bad. However, you may want to look at minimap and reassess the situation between shots and once enemy ship give less pressure on your flank, you probably want to turn around at some point and regain some map control and cross fire position.

But overall, it was a great game for New York. You did well in that game.

• Cool 1

8 posts
464 battles
7 hours ago, sunlo2013 said:

This probably one of you best game in New York? If you want improvement, maybe upload those average game for advice would be better.

That's true... but sadly I still am a noob in the sense that I didn't enable the in game replay feature till just before this match, and also forgot to start the inbuilt windows recorder. *Facepalm*

8 hours ago, sunlo2013 said:

You angle reasonable well to those enemies that "You can See", however you eat quite a few citadel from those BB that is hidden. Holding their fire to wait for you make mistake. So when you kite, the path and angling can be better, because you kite into cross fire and gave broadside to 2 BB.

I understand your point there, but I genuinely thought those were normal penetrations. If those were citadels, how did I manage to repair half my lost HP? I thought citadels cause irreparable damage?

[REPOI]
5,573 posts
23,223 battles
22 hours ago, _Nelson said:

That's true... but sadly I still am a noob in the sense that I didn't enable the in game replay feature till just before this match, and also forgot to start the inbuilt windows recorder. *Facepalm*

I understand your point there, but I genuinely thought those were normal penetrations. If those were citadels, how did I manage to repair half my lost HP? I thought citadels cause irreparable damage?

fire/flood/ramming 100% repairable

normal pen 33% repairable

citadels vary ship to ship but usually 1-0-15% heal-able

Edited by drakon233

8 posts
464 battles
8 hours ago, drakon233 said:

fire/flood/ramming 100% repairable

normal pen 33% repairable

citadels very ship to ship but usually 1-0-15% heal-able

Ah I see... that's why I had such a big chunk of repairable health.

My gameplay is getting fairly consistent now, the lowest I've done so far being 50k... Just got my high caliber achievement, and am enjoying this ship more than ever. I've attached the replay if anyone is interested:

Thank you all so much for the advice you've provided so far. It really is helping me get better at the game.

20190322_163217_PASB006-New-York-1934_08_NE_passage.wowsreplay

Edited by _Nelson